HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

with jovo out should nucksmake trade to get new dman

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 11:36 PM
hockeydude84

vCash: 500
with jovo out should nucksmake trade to get new dman

read on tsn.ca that jovo is out for a minimum of 2 weeks. nucks also recalled jaroslav obsut(sp) from manitoba. with the nucks with 6 dman, and allen and obsut as the numbers 5 and 6, should they make a move to aquire a 5th or 6th dman just incase jovo is out for a while.... any thoughts on whom??

Old
01-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Burke said he is considering acquiring a depth d-man. Cheaper, part time guy is the most they'd be interested in. Anyone besides Montreal have any decent depth d-men available?

Old
01-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Anyone besides Montreal have any decent depth d-men available?

Damn, was just about to offer Dorky or Travy

Old
01-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Sundin13

Send a message via MSN to Sundin13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude84
read on tsn.ca that jovo is out for a minimum of 2 weeks. nucks also recalled jaroslav obsut(sp) from manitoba. with the nucks with 6 dman, and allen and obsut as the numbers 5 and 6, should they make a move to aquire a 5th or 6th dman just incase jovo is out for a while.... any thoughts on whom??
I never understood why they dealt Slegr away in the first place. He'd be a very good replacement for Jovocop.

Perhaps the 'Nucks could land Boughner from Carolina? or perhaps Sydor from Columbus (salary might be an issue)?

Old
01-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin13
I never understood why they dealt Slegr away in the first place. He'd be a very good replacement for Jovocop.
Apparently Burke and Slegr had a deal that if Slegr wasn't a top 6 d-man with the Canucks by mid-season, Burke would trade him somewhere he could play. Burke stayed true to his word.

Quote:
Perhaps the 'Nucks could land Boughner from Carolina? or perhaps Sydor from Columbus (salary might be an issue)?
Both would be nice, but right now, the most the Canucks would be looking for is a depth guy, Burke said so himself. At the deadline, a guy like Boughner could be an option though. Most likely, the team will bite the bullet and ride out Jovo's injury without making any deals.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:48 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Apparently Burke and Slegr had a deal that if Slegr wasn't a top 6 d-man with the Canucks by mid-season, Burke would trade him somewhere he could play. Burke stayed true to his word.

Both would be nice, but right now, the most the Canucks would be looking for is a depth guy, Burke said so himself. At the deadline, a guy like Boughner could be an option though. Most likely, the team will bite the bullet and ride out Jovo's injury without making any deals.
If they are looking for a depth guy then Todd Simpson would be a decent fit. He at least can still play the game whil Brookbank isa real question mark. He is a rhs that is fine as a #7.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Burke said he is considering acquiring a depth d-man. Cheaper, part time guy is the most they'd be interested in. Anyone besides Montreal have any decent depth d-men available?
They did have Jiri Slegr....

Old
01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
And they traded him away because of a mutual agreement between the player and GM. I'm sure if Burke could've predicted the future he would've hung onto Slegr...

Old
01-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Sundin13

Send a message via MSN to Sundin13
Quote:
Oh that's news to me

Thanks for letting me know!

Old
01-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Reign Nateo

Obsut was an AHL all-star this season and has looked good all year. I think the Canucks will try and get through the next two weeks with Obsut and Brookbank as the #6 guy.

Allen has played big minutes at times, and I expect he will step up again here.

Old
01-27-2004, 12:30 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
i was gonna say "they had slegr", but apparently i was beat to the punch by about 31 people

Old
01-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Ladies and gentlemen... Andy Delmore!

Old
01-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Shane

Do you think Anaheim might have any interest in Fedor Fedorov? If they're still out of the playoffs come trade deadline, maybe we could steal away pending UFA Keith Carney in a deal centering around Fedorov (probably with another prospect and a pick).

Maybe all Fedor needs is for Sergei to smack some sense into him.

Old
01-27-2004, 03:00 AM
BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Do you think Anaheim might have any interest in Fedor Fedorov? If they're still out of the playoffs come trade deadline, maybe we could steal away pending UFA Keith Carney in a deal centering around Fedorov (probably with another prospect and a pick).

Maybe all Fedor needs is for Sergei to smack some sense into him.
after reading ppls posts on carney i am interested in having him on the team, if not Todd Simpson would fit quiet nicely on the team, and i am sure he could be had for a draft pick or a lower end prospect.

Old
01-27-2004, 03:01 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Todd Simpson would be pretty nice...

Old
01-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Mizral

I suspect Slegr was moved because he asked to be traded.

As for if the Canucks pick up a defenseman - I doubt it.

Jovo is gone for 2 weeks, it's not like he is going to miss the playoffs. The Canucks are one of the deepest teams in the league on defense, though their callups are less than spectacular. Even still, Obsut has been very good this year in the AHL, and I suspect he'll be just fine playing 10 - 12 minutes a night as the 6th defenseman.

More than likely, Crawford will deal with Jovo's loss by bumping everyone elses minutes up. We'll likely have Ohlund playing 30+, Salo, Sopel, and Allen around 24, and Malik around 20.

Old
01-27-2004, 03:44 AM
Trottier
Very Random

All I know is, if a team loses a dman, even a top dman, for approx. 2+ weeks in the middle of a long season and cannot sustain itself without having to make a rush trade, that team is either a) not a serious contender, depth-wise; or b) panicking.

Canucks are neither a or b. They'll sit tight, IMO.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:02 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't think this injury really has changed what they'd do with the defense...

As mentioned Slegr was dealt because he wasn't getting the playing time in Vancouver, and it was a good move by Burke - I think moves like this add to the respect a GM gets from players... Slegr wasn't going to crack our top 6, and this deal helps him out.

I still think though that once they dealt Slegr the idea was to get a cheap replacement #7 guy by the deadline - specifically for the playoffs...

Jovo's injury I don't think changes that, nor speed it up... looking at our schedule, if he's going to get injured, now is the best time... the Canucks go on a 5 game road trip, after 1 more at home, in which they only play 1 west team (St. Louis - they play Chicago at home tomorrow) ... but the other 4 games are all against East opponents on the road... after that week is the allstar week, and as of now, Jovo is expected to be back after the break.

After the break, the Canucks only play twice against eastern teams for the rest of the year... the rest are all against western competition - and that's basically where a lot of the playoff seedings will be decided, and Jovo should be back by then *hopefully*

Old
01-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Apparently Burke said in an interview yesterday he was looking to add a "7th d-man" by the deadline. On the radio.

~Canucklehead~

01-27-2004, 07:24 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I suspect Slegr was moved because he asked to be traded.

As for if the Canucks pick up a defenseman - I doubt it.

Jovo is gone for 2 weeks, it's not like he is going to miss the playoffs. The Canucks are one of the deepest teams in the league on defense, though their callups are less than spectacular. Even still, Obsut has been very good this year in the AHL, and I suspect he'll be just fine playing 10 - 12 minutes a night as the 6th defenseman.

More than likely, Crawford will deal with Jovo's loss by bumping everyone elses minutes up. We'll likely have Ohlund playing 30+, Salo, Sopel, and Allen around 24, and Malik around 20.
I'm with you.

Fans seem to get too panicked when someone gets hurt. Their AHL team isn't there simply for development, but for at least decent depth should injuries occur. Long term injuries, I can see the need for a trade. But something like this, no.

Hell, Atlanta lost five players in six games recently (and have nine or ten out overall) but they didn't panic and trade for players. They used what little depth they had in the minors to try and replace it. Granted, that didn't work out as they would have liked but they might be able to ride that storm out until at least a few players get healthy.

And like you said, Vancouver is pretty deep. Even though they lose an impact player for a couple weeks, they should still be able to survive that with their players as long as they play as a team.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:31 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Canucks lost Ohlund and Jovo for long periods last year and never did anything about it. They will tough it out. Their D is much better than last year too.

Old
01-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Most likely, the team will bite the bullet and ride out Jovo's injury without making any deals.
That would be the smart way to go about it, and since Burke generally makes the right move, i think he will stand pat.

An another way to look at it is; If the team does terrible with Jovo out, it will give Burke a good idea on the players/position's the team needs to improve on come March 19th. If a few guys falter under the pressure, maybe Burke could make a move to shore up that part of the blueline incase an injury occur's in the postseason.

This also give the Nucks a look at some of their prospects/depth guys. Maybe Koltsov will get a few games(and the prospect board can crash )

Old
01-27-2004, 02:32 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Canucks lost Ohlund and Jovo for long periods last year and never did anything about it. They will tough it out. Their D is much better than last year too.
both times they were barely on the .500 mark

not that i think they should go out and panick and start making moves, but i thought with Slegr's departure (even before Jovo's injury) that the Canucks should be on the market for a decent depth defender.

Old
01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Apparently Burke said in an interview yesterday he was looking to add a "7th d-man" by the deadline. On the radio.

~Canucklehead~
Brad Ference. Big. Tough. Not getting enough ice time in Phoenix. Could be had cheap.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:09 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Brad Ference. Big. Tough. Not getting enough ice time in Phoenix. Could be had cheap.
Had him here. Picked a fight with Ohlund during practice. Got traded. 'Nuff said.

Closed Thread