HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We're 2nd in NHL scoring in the first 15 minutes; and 2nd best passing team in league

Old
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
We're 2nd in NHL scoring in the first 15 minutes; and 2nd best passing team in league

So says the color guy for Washington.

Detroit is first in both those "categories" he says.

Of course, our powerplay probably has a lot to do with us getting the jump on teams and in the playoffs a lot more is let go.

Still, makes me think we should go get that #4 Dman. If we're gonna get the early lead in the playoffs, shouldn't we focus on shoring up the D and getting a checking center who can win a draw?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
znk

What is a 4th D man?
I'm quite happy with our D.

And I'm realy happy we are starting to be known as a good passing team. In fact...I'm really happy we finaly have a good passing team.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
According to TSN's Backchecking, we're interested in Rob Blake?

And I could see us trading for No Panic Yanic at the deadline...but that would really give us a glut of bottom-six forwards.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
According to TSN's Backchecking, we're interested in Rob Blake?

And I could see us trading for No Panic Yanic at the deadline...but that would really give us a glut of bottom-six forwards.
He's terrible defensively and wears down quickly in the playoffs though. I still like him, I just think he's wrong for us.

Blake I like. That's what we need. I think he has enough juice to lift his game again. Against Jersey and Ottawa, that would lift our defense to the other level we need. A checking center would lift us further.

It's all fine to play a dandy little regular season passing style, but we need to get tougher and more solid imo.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What is a 4th D man?
A guy to make the team that much more confident when one of Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek are having a rest.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Ross MacLochness

I still think another winger for Koivu and Higgins is the way to go. Preferably a verteran scorer.

We have 7... maybe 8 defenceman who can play in this league.

Markov
Komo
Hammer
Streit
Gorges
O'Bryne
Bouillon
Brisebois (Pretty close to being done)

It would have to be a major upgrade on Streit. Otherwise I don't see the point in getting another depth d-man. But were would we get such a player?

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

If we traded a guy like Gorges for a rental (such as Blake) would that be a good idea?

I feel that a Gorges/2nd or Gorges/_____ type deal would work for me, despite how much I like Gorges play lately. Would LA take that? It's gotta be close, I don't know what kind of market LA has but I don't see Blake moving for any more than a solid, young NHLer and a decent prospect/pick. The Habs have quite a lot of depth and this trade wouldn't break the bank in the least.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:42 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I still think another winger for Koivu and Higgins is the way to go. Preferably a verteran scorer.

We have 7... maybe 8 defenceman who can play in this league.

Markov
Komo
Hammer
Streit
Gorges
O'Bryne
Bouillon
Brisebois (Pretty close to being done)

It would have to be a major upgrade on Streit. Otherwise I don't see the point in getting another depth d-man. But were would we get such a player?
Yeah but playing in the league in the regular season on the third pairing and playing in the playoffs against Ottawa with Hamrlik against their top line is two different things. Three maybe.

If we have four solid two-way D (except Komi), where do you attack? And if that fourth guy has size, we get more rebound help for Huet. I think that makes us stronger than getting a Hossa who always disappears. If it's Jokinen, ok that's different.

I'd like to see us offload Dandouillion and maybe even Smoke if necessary and pick up some rentals.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, I thought about what the Washington guy said and it got me excited.

Old
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Gorges is not that far away from a Blake in terms of defensive ability this season. Blake's been pretty bad this season from what I've heard.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Dan Boyle give us the top 4 in the east.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
couz

I think we'll all be content seeing Gainey make one trade yet alone two...although it would be awesome to land a top six winger and a Blake.

But if I had a choice I think we need a top six winger more than a Blake.

Gotta find a way to get the Koivu line going.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I forgot to mention that Lombardi is apparently asking for a roster player, a prospect, and a first round pick in return for Blake. Which I think is absolutely insane but hey...

From what I hear Blake was awful in the first quarter-ish of the season but has picked up his play considerably as of late. Not #1-2 D-man caliber but solid in both ends and more physical, apparenty.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Gorges is not that far away from a Blake in terms of defensive ability this season. Blake's been pretty bad this season from what I've heard.
Blake had one stretch where he was playing great, but the team crumbled around him. All he has to do with us is be a #4. He can do that in his sleep, and maybe more. Imagine him on the point on OUR powerplay???? Wow! Hopefully our pro scouting is up to the task of finding the guys we need.

Old
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He still brings leadership, cup experience, and offensive ability. I strongly believe Blake would be alot better defensively in a better defensive system (Carbo has his team playing very responsible) and he would look much better defensively with the Habs than he would with the Kings.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:18 PM
1UP

Guys, take a good hard look at Gorges' age.

He's already solid. In 2-3 years he'll really start kicking ass.

I'd like to keep him for some time. Moreover, he never made a fuss about being sent down and in the rafters. He works hard in practice.

Dandenault would be the one I'd flush.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post

I'd like to keep him for some time. Moreover, he never made a fuss about being sent down and in the rafters. He works hard in practice.

Nobody wants Gorges anyway. He played a good game tonight and did a good job on Ovechkin on one play though. I have nothing against him on the third pairing with the right partner. At least he's not making Dandouillon money.

Old
01-29-2008, 11:22 PM
le_sean

No to Yanic. 8 points in 42 games? And he doesn't know how to play defence. It would be the worst deadline pick-up ever.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:25 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post

Gorges is improving or, at least, playing better than he was doing last season and at the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see him developing into a good defenseman in the next years.

I agree with you about Dandenault. I think his time with the team is close to the end... he's doing well as a fourth liner most of the time... but he's overpaid and that's the biggest problem. I think Gainey could keep him for the playoffs... but if he doesn't do well in the playoffs, I think the GM will get rid of him next summer.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:26 PM
tinyzombies

So, if we're only behind Detroit in passing, does that mean we're a better passing team than Ottawa??

Old
01-29-2008, 11:27 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
So, if we're only behind Detroit in passing, does that mean we're a better passing team than Ottawa??
Ottawa is just very good at breaking out. They get a lot of odd man rushes by passing quickly. But I think overall this team might cycle the puck better. Remember, there are no Spezza's or Alfredsson's on this team. Maybe our bottom 2 lines are better than theirs in terms of cycling the puck.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:28 PM
tiredman

Quote:
it depends if you take in consideration that the sens lost some of their key players because of injuries.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
it depends if you take in consideration that the sens lost some of their key players because of injuries.
Anaheim moves the puck pretty well too.

Old
01-29-2008, 11:54 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Bob McKenzie said that the Habs might be the "best passing team in the East".

Which would mean yes.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:57 PM
brownman*

Ottawa is tactical and more efficient; the Habs tend to be a little more swarming, moving the puck all over the ice.

As said, the Senators are superior on the rush whereas the Habs control the zone.

All IMHO of course.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
MathMan

"As a five-man unit, they pass the puck better than anybody," Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...008&gameType=2

He meant the power play, but that's where you get to show off your passing skills.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote