HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're 2nd in NHL scoring in the first 15 minutes; and 2nd best passing team in league

Old
01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
No to Yanic. 8 points in 42 games? And he doesn't know how to play defence. It would be the worst deadline pick-up ever.
Amen brother. Absolutely no value to this year's team. He would be left in the dust looking like the washed up bum that he is.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Amen brother. Absolutely no value to this year's team. He would be left in the dust looking like the washed up bum that he is.
Didn't Toronto trade for him last year?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Didn't Toronto trade for him last year?
And, for the 40th straight year "Toronto" didn't get engraved on the Stanley Cup. but to answer your question, yes they did... in their infinite wisdom.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
2nd in hits too

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Pascal

I think a veteran scoring winger to replace Ryder would be good. We need another vet who has been around and is tough/consistent on a nightly basis. We sorely need that. Kovalev has been great all year long but a grittier vet could help us a lot to round off our roster.

On faceoffs we have improved lately so it's not as much of a need now IMO.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:14 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
2nd in hits too
Probably up there in blocked shots too.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think a veteran scoring winger to replace Ryder would be good. We need another vet who has been around and is tough/consistent on a nightly basis. We sorely need that. Kovalev has been great all year long but a grittier vet could help us a lot to round off our roster.

On faceoffs we have improved lately so it's not as much of a need now IMO.
I agree that we should get a scoring winger to replace Ryder, but i think every team is looking for that. so gonna be tough..
But yea, if we can get that and another solid veteran D. I think we would really be a team to watch out for in PO.

If we make the PO this year, it'll be the first time for a lot of our players, and for a lot of others, only their second time(having played 6Games vs CAR)..so i think its important to get veteran players with PO experience.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Pascal

Yea, our players with playoffs experience is very limited...

Saku... a couple of playoff series
Kovalev... 2 cups (or was it one?)
Dandeneault.. 2-3 cups with Detroit
Smolinski.. some playoff experience

and a couple of others (Markov, Bouillon..) with 1-3 series.

A rugged veteran who has seen it all AND play well on the ice would be great to add. Like you say a lot of ppl want that type of player, and hopefully by the trade deadline someone in the West will be looking to unload someone like that if they are out of the playoffs.

The problem is only a few teams will truly be out of the picture by the 27th.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The Predators are entertaining offers for Marek Zidlicky, I know I'm repeating myself from other threads but that guy would be perfect alongside Hammer (they're both Czechs and have played together in the past, he's righthanded and a very good puck mover. Nashville are looking for a scoring forward, sooooo maybe a Streit + Ryder for Zidlicky would be nice.....

What have ya?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Pascal

I don't know if our defense corps is our biggest problem right now. Our offense has been producing but it's basically the story of one line this season.. Adding a winger who can produce consistently with Higgins/Koivu would give us two top lines. In the playoffs teams will pay very close attention to Kovalev and it'll be tighter for his line.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I don't know if our defense corps is our biggest problem right now. Our offense has been producing but it's basically the story of one line this season.. Adding a winger who can produce consistently with Higgins/Koivu would give us two top lines.
Or we could use SKost with Higgy and Koivu if we trade Ryder... Just imagine the D corps with Zidlicky.... BTW, we're 4th on O and 11th on D.... Zidlicky would tie-up loose-ends.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Pascal

I wouldn't say no to a 4th dman but having 2 rookies on our first 2 lines in the playoffs won't be the best thing imo. We need more experience up front, moreso than on the blueline, where Streit can play 4th dman fine.

Old
01-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I wouldn't say no to a 4th dman but having 2 rookies on our first 2 lines in the playoffs won't be the best thing imo. We need more experience up front, moreso than on the blueline, where Streit can play 4th dman fine.

Streit, as much as I like him, is a defensive liability. Zidlicky is not, and besides, defense wins championships, not offense.

To me, the lines would be balanced this way, both lines would be = Veteran(Koivu/Kovalev), young veteran (Higgins/Pleks), rookie (Kosti bros).

If the defense is expiremented as it would be with Markov, Komi, Hammer, Zidlicky (with Bouillon, Gorges and Oburn as 5-6th dmen), the offense will have extremely good support with an explosive transition game... JMO

Old
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
According to TSN's Backchecking, we're interested in Rob Blake?

And I could see us trading for No Panic Yanic at the deadline...but that would really give us a glut of bottom-six forwards.
I would really like to get Rob Blake. I think he would be great on our top 4 and it would really solidify it. If he is on his last year of his contract then it would be good or else I wouldnt even think about it. Imagine our top 4...Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Blake...with Streit and Bouillon as #5-6 and Gorges in if we have injuries. I really dont feel like seeing Brisebois and/or Dandenault on our back end if one of our top defenders gets hurt in the playoffs.

Blake would add leadership and playoff experience. I think it would be good for the amount of kids on our team.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Isn'T Streit doing a good job as our 4th Dmen ? I think him and Hamrlik are doing a very good job, moving the puck well, supporting the offence and taking care of the defensive zone with confidence. Streit is really becoming an important part of this team.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
I would really like to get Rob Blake. I think he would be great on our top 4 and it would really solidify it. If he is on his last year of his contract then it would be good or else I wouldnt even think about it. Imagine our top 4...Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Blake...with Streit and Bouillon as #5-6 and Gorges in if we have injuries. I really dont feel like seeing Brisebois and/or Dandenault on our back end if one of our top defenders gets hurt in the playoffs.

Blake would add leadership and playoff experience. I think it would be good for the amount of kids on our team.
Blake is the way to go. One more guy with size and two-way ability. Move Streit to the third pairing with O'Byrne, reduce their minutes, and dump Cube. Can't have any of those guys out there against top lines in the playoffs. Streit is scary in his own end. He could lose a series for us that way. But the third pairing on reduced minutes and powerplay time is different. Replace Hammer with Blake on the PP and that's another huge upgrade.

Up front, we're fine. Koivu will raise his game without question. I wouldn't write Ryder off yet. He can be that depth scoring we need. The Koivu line should be rested come playoff time this year since they haven't been relied upon so much.

The checking line scares me a bit though. Especially Smolinski. Would love to see us pick up a Holik-like player, maybe even Holik.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think that having alot of skilled Europeans helps us in the passing departement. All ouf our Russians can pass the puck very well. SK74 got something like 90 assists last season in London.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote