HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg

Old
01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
92hatchattack

vCash: 500
well, it was a nice daydream.....

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Not to speak for Mort, but I think his post was more along the lines of: "While +/- is not an indicator of how a player is playing, it's worth noting that Foppa..." more trivia than indicator, IMO. Mort, if I'm wrong tell me.
Bingo.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I love Forsberg, but he's not healthy, and he's most likely done.

If he could come back and compete at 80%, I'd take him at a cheap deal.

The defense needs help as well though, so I'm not sure if a move for a forward is the best idea right now.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im on the "why the hell not" bandwagon. if it were a case of us having to trade for him, or having to give him a multi-year deal, then no freaking thank you. in this case its just money, and assuming he can fit in under the cap after malik is gone, then more the better.

regarding his style of play, its not like were talking about a typical soft euro here, forsberg is as north american a euro as it gets. Also, i dont think he ends up playing with drury and shanny, i think he ends up playing with straka and jagr. i think thats what may interest him. the thought of having a winger like jagr.

Forsberg is also a brilliant PP player, so he would definitely help there.

hypothetically, if we move Prucha and Malik for Liles (again hypothetically), you could have a lineup like this:

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Dawes
Hollweg Betts Orr

Rozsival Staal
Tyutin Girardi
Mara Liles

im not saying itll be worse than what we have now, but since im all but resigned to this team not being sellers come the deadline (which is what i REALLY want) then id rather they make 2 moves like this to "fix" their problems, and not have it effect our youth coming up, rather than making a move which causes us to trade our kids.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

At what cost?Forsberg isn't playing for free.Nobody does

Everyone points to Selanne's contract with the $600,000 base salary and says "why not".Selanne and Forsberg have the same agent-Don Baizley

Did you read the fine print?

Quote:
Sources tell TSN that Selanne signed a one-year deal with an annual base salary of $1.5 million, which means Selanne will receive just under $600,000 for the balance of this season. But as a player older than 35, Selanne is entitled to performance bonuses and he will almost certainly earn another $1.35 million from the Ducks this season. That performance bonus is achieved by simply playing 10 games, so, barring injury, Selanne will actually receive close to $2 million in base salary plus performance bonus for the balance of this season.
Quote:
His base salary will count against the cap this year, but his performance bonuses only count against the cap if they put the Ducks over the $50.3 million limit. If that happens, the Ducks must carry forward his bonus paid out to be applied to next season's totals against the cap. But that only happens if the bonus figures put the Ducks over the cap this year, and as of now, the Ducks have plenty of cap room left to absorb Selanne's contract. Or go out and get a player at the deadline, if they so choose, and carry Selanne's bonuses to next year's payroll.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228393&hubname=

Quote:
Selanne's deal would have been worth $1.5 million had he started the season at the beginning. Since the Ducks have played 53 games, he'll get $570,000.

There is a bonus clause in the deal that could pay him an additional $1.2 million if he plays in 10 regular-season games or if the Ducks get into the playoffs
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/sea...3-goals-points

The Rangers already have that contract on their books

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
DontStepanMe

I don't think Forsberg can qualify for any bonuses.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
When playing with good players he can still score goals.. in his Colorado years he averaged about 25, which is an elite goal scorer by this team's standards.
In his Colorado years? When was that? You really owned me on that one "God" IS Avery. Good job.

Per Flyers site - "General manager Paul Holmgren reiterated yesterday that the Flyers would not hesitate to sign Forsberg, an unrestricted free agent, should he decide to return to the NHL.

You still think he will come to NY?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Eklund is now reporting that Foppa is leaning towards NOT coming back to the NHL at all.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If he cost little to nothing, and was willing to sign a Selanne type deal, then why the hell not. But if he wants long term and big $ then thanks but no thanks. But I will believe it when someone other than eck reports it.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

hypothetically, if we move Prucha and Malik for Liles (again hypothetically), you could have a lineup like this:

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Dawes
Hollweg Betts Orr

Rozsival Staal
Tyutin Girardi
Mara Liles
I like it.

Although I'm not sure Shanny could keep up on a line with Gomez and Drury. Maybe if we went something like Malik, Shanny and Prucha for Liles, Svatos and a 2nd? Or would Prucha and Svatos be too much of a wash for Colorado to go for it? Not that I'd like to deal Shanny, I love the guy I just think he's done. But I think with Sakic out, Colorado is looking for leadership right?

Go with a 2nd line of Drury - Gomez - Svatos?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I like it.

Although I'm not sure Shanny could keep up on a line with Gomez and Drury. Maybe if we went something like Malik, Shanny and Prucha for Liles, Svatos and a 2nd? Or would Prucha and Svatos be too much of a wash for Colorado to go for it? Not that I'd like to deal Shanny, I love the guy I just think he's done. But I think with Sakic out, Colorado is looking for leadership right?

Go with a 2nd line of Drury - Gomez - Svatos?
svatos is a much better player than prucha.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
svatos is a much better player than prucha.
They've had more or less the same careers, big rookie year and a mediocre follow up season (Prucha had a better 2nd season actually), and now Svatos has spent more than 3/4's of the season getting first and second line minutes. What exactly makes him so much better?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Forsberg is exactly the kind of player we need to stay away from right now.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Bretzky*

Don't care about the foot. Don't care about his injury-prone history. This team needs something, and if we can somehow get Forsberg to come here, I would be nothing short of THRILLED.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I disagree. The deadline deals in which we have to give up prospects / youth are exactly the kind of deals we need to stay away from. Forsberg would be ideal, like the OP said: We don't have to give up anything.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
gmanwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
exaclty, another has been super star on the rangers. yeah.......

bring in the youngsters...

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Chimp

There's no chance in hell we'll get him, but if we would have the chance: any day. He's always there in the playoffs, he's a monster, even on one foot.

The only thing we would gamble is salary and dumping Malik or some other guy to make room.

With that said, I don't think Peter will ever play in NHL again, sadly enough.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Fletch

rangerboy...

that Selanne contract is interesting. So the Ducks signed a guy coming off consecutive 40+/90+ seasons to that kind of contract? In New York that would've been a lot more.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Peter Forsberg Sweepstakes have begun in earnest.

Sources tell TSN that Forsberg's agent Don Baizley has been given the green light by his client to start the process of talking to NHL teams that may be interested

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/mckenzie/?id=228539

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
tjs252

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
im on the "why the hell not" bandwagon. if it were a case of us having to trade for him, or having to give him a multi-year deal, then no freaking thank you. in this case its just money, and assuming he can fit in under the cap after malik is gone, then more the better.

regarding his style of play, its not like were talking about a typical soft euro here, forsberg is as north american a euro as it gets. Also, i dont think he ends up playing with drury and shanny, i think he ends up playing with straka and jagr. i think thats what may interest him. the thought of having a winger like jagr.

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Dawes
Hollweg Betts Orr

Rozsival Staal
Tyutin Girardi
Mara Liles

im not saying itll be worse than what we have now, but since im all but resigned to this team not being sellers come the deadline (which is what i REALLY want) then id rather they make 2 moves like this to "fix" their problems, and not have it effect our youth coming up, rather than making a move which causes us to trade our kids.
Totally agreed.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Ola

Tonight at midnight is the deadline to sign in the SEL. If hes gonna stay in MoDo he will sign today there in other words.

Forsberg said yesterday that he got a couple of hrs with allot of thinking ahead of him.

Forsbergs G/F have lived and worked on Manhattan; and likes the pulse of the city.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle1740016.ab

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:07 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that Selanne contract is interesting. So the Ducks signed a guy coming off consecutive 40+/90+ seasons to that kind of contract? In New York that would've been a lot more.
Selanne was an ufa. Neidermayer was not an ufa though and was allowed to take time off, if sather did this with Jagr the NHL would be crying about this. So if the Ducks can do this, maybe Sather can as well. so lets resign our guys during next season. lets sign straka and our ufa late jan next year so we can have some cap space, heck it worked for the ducks. , maybe we can tell Drury dont come back till Januarary. Niedermayer was allowed to do this.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Tonight at midnight is the deadline to sign in the SEL. If hes gonna stay in MoDo he will sign today there in other words.

Forsberg said yesterday that he got a couple of hrs with allot of thinking ahead of him.

Forsbergs G/F have lived and worked on Manhattan; and likes the pulse of the city.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle1740016.ab
hmmm watch him go to the Islanders

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Kostik

Why would Foppa want to go to Rangers?
He wants to win the Cup right? I assume money isn't the reason.
Why he would not choose Philly, Vancouver or Colorado?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I don't think Forsberg can qualify for any bonuses.
My bad.Forsberg doesn't turn 35 until this July.Baizley might demand more guaranteed money than he did with Selanne.

I still wouldn't take him

Last edited by RangerBoy: 01-31-2008 at 06:35 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote