HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Duvie on waivers

Old
01-18-2008, 03:34 PM
firethecannon

vCash: 500
Duvie on waivers

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Westcott on waivers

As of noon today, Blue Jackets defenseman Duvie Westcott is on waivers. All 29 other NHL clubs can claim Westcott -- starting from last place Los Angeles all the way to Detroit -- for no compensation.

I don't see Westcott getting claimed. He's making $1.1M this year and $1.85M the next two seasons. That's a lot of money for a player who has a reputation for getting injured.

This is a tough move. Westcott was a really solid player for the Blue Jackets during seasons when there weren't too many solid players on the club. He's a class act, too.

Chances are, if nobody claims Westcott, the Blue Jackets will send him to the minors. If nothing changes, they'd likely buy out the rest of his contract this off-season.

firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Wow, can't say I saw this coming, but I guess the writing was on the wall. I'm surprised the Jackets made this move, with Hainsey getting hurt last night. So does OKT step in, or do we acquire a PP quarterback?

Duvie just hasn't been the same since his latest concussion, and he wasn't really helping the team. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
MFRONE

Thanks Duvie

Puck-rakers said Hainsey won't play on Saturday and could miss the Sunday game but there was nothing that mentioned it was a serious injury.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
beba91

mm with Hainsey out and OKT still out..who will fill in the hole? Feds? Or maybe Howson is making a deal to aquire a D-man as we speak..could it be Tyutin? Rangers fans find that unlikely.

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
FiveHole23

It sucks because I really like Duvie, hopefully he can go down to the minors (with us) and turn is career around. Although, I did call this one in that other thread.

OKT must be feeling healthy again, only way they would waive Duvie with Hainsey out. That or a trade is coming.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Rough going for Duvie. Played really well a few years back, but like DJ said writing was on the wall. Odd timing as well, given that Hollywood's hurtin'.

Old
01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
FiveHole23

I think someone will claim him too, although he is awful on defense his shot from the point was still one of the better on the team. Kind of a high salary though for someone with so many problems as of late. We will see.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I guess this means Methot is probably up for the rest of the season. Howson must be seriously looking for a shooter on the blue line.

Duvie was a right handed shot. Not that this means anything but here's a list of right handed shooting, roster-dmen on OTT/NYR, two teams we've been reported to have been scouting a lot lately:

Joe Corvo
Daniel Girardi
Michal Rozsival

P.S. My dream guy on the Sens would be Meszaros. Make it happen Howie!

Last edited by dru: 01-18-2008 at 04:12 PM.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Prestonn99

Send a message via AIM to Prestonn99
I want Campbell out of Buffalo. Not sure how probable that is, but I know he has stopped communication with the Sabres through the end of the season concerning extension. Im crossing my fingers.

Sorry for all of those who liked Duvie, but I'll have little sadness in my heart if he gets picked up. As said before, he isn't the same player as the pre-concussion days.

Good luck though, Duvie.

Prestonn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I guess this means Methot is probably up for the rest of the season. Howson must be seriously looking for a shooter on the blue line.

Duvie was a right handed shot. Not that this means anything but here's a list of right handed shooting, roster-dmen on OTT/NYR, two teams we've been reported to have been scouting a lot lately:

Joe Corvo
Daniel Girardi
Michal Rozsival

P.S. My dream guy on the Sens would be Meszaros. Make it happen Howie!
Love the guy, too. He is RFA after the season and it was suggested to me in a discussion with a Sens fan that Andrei is needed both this season and into the future. I mean sure it's only a fan, but what the hell'r we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestonn99 View Post
I want Campbell out of Buffalo. Not sure how probable that is, but I know he has stopped communication with the Sabres through the end of the season concerning extension. Im crossing my fingers.
I like Campbell too but I read somewhere he turned down $5 for five years at the beginning of the season. If true, that's a load of dough. (Of course, the Jackets will have to spend a lot this offseason.) Corvo's signed for the next couple at $2.5. I'll settle for that.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Handyy

Thanks Duvie for everything, you were a class act in Finland and in Jackets. I bow to you.

It's really sad that we lost him to the concussions, he looked like he was just about to break out. Hopefully someone could claim him and he could continue playing in NHL level, but it will be a tough job to do.

Good luck Duvie!

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
MFRONE

OKT isn't out, he made the trip with the squad and they said he would play at some point so I guess he's going tomorrow.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 550
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Anyone remember the days when Duvie practically had to be in the lineup for us to win? Anywho, best of all to him. I hope he gets picked up by a good team in the east and gets it together.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
baberg

I liked Duvie - when he was 100% he was great on the blueline, but he hasn't been 100% in a while. I hope he does clear waivers and heads down to the Crunch to get back into the saddle.

I think this must mean that OKT is back. We wouldn't have put Duvie onto waivers with Hainsey out of commission unless we had another defenseman to pick up the slack.

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
RickS

According to Bill Davidge, who was on Mark the Shark's show last hour, OKT is playing tomorrow.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Well, bad news for Duvie, good news for Tollie.

Duvie's a great guy, but he just hasn't been the same really the last TWO seasons, if you can believe it! Seems like yesterday he was one of the only bright spots we had.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
sorry to see him go, but he hasn't done much lately

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Matt

Talk Gerardi, he was paired with Methot in London

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

My cousin must be weaping in his Westcott jersey. He's one in the upper bowl that says "Duuuuuuuuuuvie" on the nameplate.

For all the old timers: remember the Westcott versus Walser battles we'd have around here? Ah, the good ole days, dissecting the Kallio trade and wondering what to do with Nedorost.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I wish him luck, if he clears waivers the Jackets will want to buy him out ASAP, 1.85 million a year for the next two years is alot relative to others on this team.

He was a victim of improving talent levels as much as the concussions. We need to focus on the top Syracuse defenseman for the 8th spot now.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
BZArcher

He was a good kid, our Duvie. I wish him nothing but the best.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:15 PM
jagpanzer

As has been mentioned it seems odd timing. We aren't brimming over with D-men and I don't see Feds being talked into playing back there (straits aren't that dire yet.....)

Since Duvie busted up his hand last year and then got the concussion he just hasn't returned to form. I surely hope we make a trade at this point as I don't think we would be in good shape should someone get hurt.

I have to say with this move that standing pat on the blue line won't be to our benefit.

jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Tough to see Duvie go...but its the right move for the team.

I hope he finds a new home somewhere in the NHL....

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Tough to see Duvie go...but its the right move for the team.

I hope he finds a new home somewhere in the NHL....
Agreed, he did not pair up well with Russell. We stll have Foote, Hedja, Klesla, Hainsey, Russell, Methot and Tollefsen. That's seven solid defenseman. We will be fine. Westcott was the odd man out.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Casework

The writing was on the wall for Duvie and I hate to see him go in this fashion.

That said, it is encouraging for multiple reasons.

1. Methot is here to stay. I am in love with this guy.
2. Despite the potential buyout, meaning the team is still paying him the money, we'll be even FARTHER under the cap. Boy, I wouldn't mind helping a team like the Rangers get a little relief on their cap situation, or a team like Buffalo who seems to not want to pay Campbell what he wants.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote