HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Semi-Ot: Pursuing a Career in Sports Management

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2006, 04:31 AM
fiveandagame78

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to fiveandagame78
Semi-Ot: Pursuing a Career in Sports Management

I am interested in one day becoming an NHL player or agent, scout or somebody associated with an NHL team's business, to be an agent what type of schooling do you have to take and how would you get started afterwards. I'm still young, but I have a strong passion for the game and in my opinion very good knowledge for my age. I just don't know how to get started, and do any teams in the Major Junior leagues look at young people doing scouting reports and being an agent, or will that all come with experience 10-15 years down the road of working with AAA hockey etc?
Thanks

Old
04-10-2006, 12:58 PM
allin4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveandagame78
I am interested in one day becoming an NHL player or agent, scout or somebody associated with an NHL team's business, to be an agent what type of schooling do you have to take and how would you get started afterwards. I'm still young, but I have a strong passion for the game and in my opinion very good knowledge for my age. I just don't know how to get started, and do any teams in the Major Junior leagues look at young people doing scouting reports and being an agent, or will that all come with experience 10-15 years down the road of working with AAA hockey etc?
Thanks
Agents typically have a law degree I think.

Management.. probably need a business degree with some sort of sports economics courses.

Scout: no idea

Old
04-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
Agents typically have a law degree I think.

Management.. probably need a business degree with some sort of sports economics courses.

Scout: no idea
To be an agent, I'm pretty sure a law degree is a must. Lots of universities offer sports management degrees, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding education in that field.

So yeah, if you want to be a GM, you should probably get a sports management degree and apply for some lower position in a junior or minor league team then work your way up the 'corporate ladder'. In your quest to be a GM of an NHL franchise, you'll almost assuredly be a scout for a bit to earn your bones.

Old
04-10-2006, 01:52 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Maybe you've seen these before, but if not, here's a few links for you to peruse.

ISS-Scouting

The Hockey Source

Old
04-10-2006, 08:09 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
To be an agent, I'm pretty sure a law degree is a must. Lots of universities offer sports management degrees, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding education in that field.

So yeah, if you want to be a GM, you should probably get a sports management degree and apply for some lower position in a junior or minor league team then work your way up the 'corporate ladder'. In your quest to be a GM of an NHL franchise, you'll almost assuredly be a scout for a bit to earn your bones.
Sports Management degrees are not the best way to get into an NHL Team.
Scouts: Connections and Hockey playing/coaching experience
Agent: Lawyer, usually start in an entertainment firm
Managment: Get a business degree or law degree from a good school and get experience anywhere. You can eventually work your way into an NHL team through traditional business experiences + connections.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
To be an agent, I'm pretty sure a law degree is a must.
I don't think it is. Carl Lindros isn't an attorney, for example.

Old
04-11-2006, 12:30 AM
BobLoblaw

I'm pursuing that career path at the moment. A Law degree in entertainment/sports law or contractual law is pretty much a necessity. However, to become an NHLPA agent, all you need is 2 NHL players, and to pay your 2000$ union dues every year.

I've spoken with a Senators player's agent, and he gave me most of the information you see above. You can either scout your own players, and build up yourself, or you can hopefully join a big firm. Expect to spend lots of money going the solo route.

If you need any more information, contact me. I'm trying something similar, and have a few contacts which may be able to help out.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:10 AM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary
I don't think it is. Carl Lindros isn't an attorney, for example.
Carl Lindros is just Eric's agent. If you want to represent your son, you don't need a law degree. If you want to represent someone other than your son, you need a law degree or a bunch of Norris trophies, a few scoring titles, and bad knees.

Old
04-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Carl Lindros is just Eric's agent. If you want to represent your son, you don't need a law degree. If you want to represent someone other than your son, you need a law degree or a bunch of Norris trophies, a few scoring titles, and bad knees.
The NHLPA's list of certified agents, while not noting any agent's knee problems, doesn't support this assertion. Many agents are either attorneys or ex-players, but many aren't.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Chili

A good friends brother was an agent and wasn't a lawyer. He did have an extensive labour relations background though as well as numerous hockey contacts.

Old
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Vinland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
Maybe you've seen these before, but if not, here's a few links for you to peruse.

ISS-Scouting

The Hockey Source

Junk especially the hockey source. Want to be a scout start going to the rink watching games and try to get to know the real scouts and show that you know something.

Old
04-13-2006, 03:17 AM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary
The NHLPA's list of certified agents, while not noting any agent's knee problems, doesn't support this assertion. Many agents are either attorneys or ex-players, but many aren't.
Interesting. Guess I was wrong.

Old
04-13-2006, 11:44 AM
alex'S girl

Just curious.

What's the average salary of a

General Managarer
Scout
Other front office positions

especially if they're established and well known in hockey?

Old
04-13-2006, 12:01 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex'S girl
Just curious.

What's the average salary of a

General Managarer
Scout
Other front office positions

especially if they're established and well known in hockey?
Top GM's can about a million. Quinn got around 1.5 mil when he had both roles. I would assume all the non-hockey positions (e.x. VP of Finance) would probably have the same pay as that position at any other private corporation

Old
04-13-2006, 02:09 PM
alex'S girl

What about scouts?

I would think you would have to have a certain level of knowledge that you could only learn with experrience and not at a school.

What's the average salary?

Old
05-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'm currently 17 years of age and entering grade 12. I have dreams of becoming a GM. I am planning to take some sort of undergraduate business management in university. Should i aim at a different course as well as an undergrad?

Old
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
ti-vite

http://www.nhlpa.com/Agents/Agent.asp?AgentId=3392

THis guys has an 'interesting' background in economics...

Old
07-31-2006, 11:45 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
Getting into the business of hockey

This may sound like a dumb thread/question, but what do I have to do to get involved in the business of hockey?

I am finishing my general business studies at a 2 year school here in central pa, and realllllllllly want to start working with a team(any team) and hopefully get my foot in the door to bigger and better places. I've read aboot sports management programs in different schools around the country and in Canada, and think that that is going to be my next step while trying to apply to work in an office with any team near by. I realize I will have to start at the bootom and work my way up, but does anybody have any info to help me out. BTW, I am truly in love with the game, and played while in high school, but never had a) enough skill to go anywhere, and b) i was plagued with injuries, but am very knowledgable about the game, some what knowledgable about the league(ie the business side) and am willing to learn anything I need to know.

Old
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
blackhawksmaniac

Send a message via AIM to blackhawksmaniac
Well, i would start working with a affilate like maybe in the OHL or AHL, and work your way up

Old
08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Ah but there's the trick question. How do u get into the lower leagues such as CHL? I have no idea but i have the same dream as well, working in the business of hockey

Old
08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Ah but there's the trick question. How do u get into the lower leagues such as CHL? I have no idea but i have the same dream as well, working in the business of hockey
yea, i am always told that almost everybody is a former player, but there is still that small amount that arent....I did play inHS and got injured to the point where i can only skate for a half hour at a time, but still i must believe that with enough hard work and time, I can achieve any goal that I put in front of my self

Old
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Holly Golightly

Send a message via MSN to Holly Golightly
Quick question(s): Are you seeking to complete your studies at an American or a Canadian University? AND Where are desiring to work/intern, in the US or Canada?

If your answers are the US, then I can offer you some information; although I'm not too sure how helpful it will be.

Have you decided on which University you will attend? During your University search, you may also want to do some research regarding sports teams in the community. Do you only want to work for a hockey organization, or would you be willing to work for a baseball/football/soccer/whatever sports team? I don't want to come across as mean, but sometimes beggars can't be choosers. You may have to work/intern for a sport other than hockey. Many universities have sports teams and use current students for various duties. The key is getting the right education and getting your foot in the door. I have found that working in the sports industry is more about "who you know" then pretty much anything else. You may have to start out interning for an organization, that's how a lot (mind you I did not say "all" just "a lot") graduates or soon-to-be-graduates get into the sports business. When you have decided on a school, you should be able to speak with someone in the Sports Business/Management department about possible internships. I know that the CHL (Central Hockey League) uses several interns a season, although I'm not sure if they get paid or not. You will have to decide for yourself if you will need a paycheck or not. I also know that the organization I work for uses interns yearly. I think we use four interns every year and they do get paid, I believe it's $1500 a month. They usually reside on the campus of the USOC. (I work for US Figure Skating and live in Colorado Sprigs, Colorado. I'll deck ya if you make a comment about working for USFS! ) USA Hockey, which is also headquartered here in the Springs uses an intern every year as well. I believe they have already lined one up for this upcoming season, however you may want to periodically check the USA Hockey website for more information. The United States Olympic Committee also has a page that is dedicated to jobs and internships. Now if you are Canadian, I don't believe you can intern with one of the US NGB's or with the USOC, but I can check on it if you like. When you have decided on a school, you should be able to speak with someone in the Sports Business/Management department about possible internships. Another place to look is the official site of the NHL, on their JOBS page. It will give you an idea of what is available and what they are seeking in an applicant.

You may also want to invest in a few books. I went to Amazon and located a few books regarding working in the sports industry, just click the link and it should take you directly to the list.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed on how it is going for you! And if you happen to get a job or internship with the Canucks, seats behind the goalie (about ten rows off the glass) will do just fine!

Old
08-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Check out NHL.com, they have a section where they list the current jobs that are availible with diffrent teams. Also ESPN has the same type of thing, where you can upload your Resume and they will contact you with jobs that become avail in the areas your suited for. Good luck.

Old
08-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Hawker14

almost every team hires interns (they love the free labor). send your resume to teams in your area and get experience. start at the bottom, learn everything you can, and work your butt off. make yourself valuable to them with your knowledge and experience and you'll have a career.

be sure to take some finance, marketing and other business courses in school, and any sports management classes if available.

Old
11-16-2006, 02:37 PM
BigEyedPhish

Question about major

I want to become a sports agent, the only problem I have is I have no idea what major would best fit this career path. Would it be sports management? Im not sure Im pretty sure you have to take some law classes any help would be great.

Closed Thread