HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kosto-Smolinski-Begin & lines question

Old
01-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Kosto-Smolinski-Begin & lines question

Finally we have a consistent, dependable checking line that we can put out in key situations. Carbo obviously loves these guys, and I think we'll see them used as the shutdown line for the rest of the season.

The question is: who sits when O'Byrne comes back? Streit's got to go up to forward, so who's out? Looks like Ryder to me. Even though Lats hasn't been spectacular lately, I'd like to keep that line together -- I like the energy. Ryder's just getting crucified out there, however. The fans are on his ass every shift, and he's just not getting better at all. Koivu-Higgins-Streit might be a good idea for a while.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
marc1337

It might be good, But I rather see Higgins-Koivu-S. Kostityns... and have streit on the fourth and special teams

marc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Streit could always stay on defense and maybe cube gets cut. Too bad cause I think he's been doing his job fine lately but Streits been good on defense and Gorges is playing possessed which leaves franky as the odd man out.

I just can't see carbo messing with our forwards and i don't think streit, who is more of a passer except on the powerplay, would be a great match on the koivu line. furthermore, i don't think that taking the only right handed shooter in the top 6 out is a great idea.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Finally we have a consistent, dependable checking line that we can put out in key situations. Carbo obviously loves these guys, and I think we'll see them used as the shutdown line for the rest of the season.

The question is: who sits when O'Byrne comes back? Streit's got to go up to forward, so who's out? Looks like Ryder to me. Even though Lats hasn't been spectacular lately, I'd like to keep that line together -- I like the energy. Ryder's just getting crucified out there, however. The fans are on his ass every shift, and he's just not getting better at all. Koivu-Higgins-Streit might be a good idea for a while.
O'byrne might end up in Hamilton for rehab and could stay there if everyone is healthy on D in Montreal. As for Ryder, he could be dealt at trade deadline for a pick or some youngsters still in Junior or AHL. Keep Streit on D.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1337 View Post
It might be good, But I rather see Higgins-Koivu-S. Kostityns... and have streit on the fourth and special teams
Yeah, you can easily swap out Streit and Kosty Jr. on any given night to change up the chemistry. As long as those guys are in and Dandy and Ryder are out, we'll be playing with the best lineup possible.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
O'byrne might end up in Hamilton for rehab and could stay there if everyone is healthy on D in Montreal. As for Ryder, he could be dealt at trade deadline for a pick or some youngsters still in Junior or AHL. Keep Streit on D.
I think we have to get O'Byrne back in action so he's ready for the playoffs. In the playoffs, things are going to get tighter and more physical, and we'll need a guy like O'Byrne.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:

i have a feeling that obyrne will be sent down

you cant change our lineup, and our defensive pairings are all playing great

i dont see carbo benching gorges anytime soon so i predict obyrne to be sent down, just like price and chipchura

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:04 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Does anybody remember O'Byrne's play in Montreal?

He wasn't bad, but the way Cube and Gorges have been playing, O'Byrne is the one who is sitting.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I also think O'Byrne will be sent down for some games in AHL, until we start losing.
As for Ryder, we're not gonna trade him for a pick or future prospect, its the last thing we need. We're not sellers, we're buyers.
If the only available return for Ryder is a pick or future prospect, then we will keep him as he could possibly find his touch and help us a lot in PO.
There's simply no point in trading him for picks/prospect.

I think Gorges would most likely the one to get sit out if O'Byrne gets back in shape.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think Gorges would most likely the one to get sit out if O'Byrne gets back in shape.
I can't see that happening. Gorges has been too solid, and Carbo seems really happy with him.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:

I love this line. Early in the year I thought one of our best lines was Begin-Chipchura-Kotopoulos but Begin got injured and that was the end of that. Barring injury, this line will be together the rest of the season. Tough luck, Dandy. However, I personally don't want to read the words "shutdown line" ever again. They are good at what they do, but I would never ever play them more than what they played last night (13-14 minutes). That might fly against Washington, but I don't see it working against a team like Ottawa. AK-Plek-AK only played roughly 16-17 minutes last night. Against better teams in the league, that number should be 19-20. I think its dangerous to over play guys like Begin Smolinski and TK... and I am vehemently against the concept of a shutdown line. But that's just me. If they play effectively for 11 minutes or so we should be in good shape.

--As for when O'Bryne comes back. All I know is Gorges better stay right where he is.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I also think O'Byrne will be sent down for some games in AHL, until we start losing.
As for Ryder, we're not gonna trade him for a pick or future prospect, its the last thing we need. We're not sellers, we're buyers.
If the only available return for Ryder is a pick or future prospect, then we will keep him as he could possibly find his touch and help us a lot in PO.
There's simply no point in trading him for picks/prospect.

A late first round pick (between 20th and 30th) or a very good prospect that could end up playing on our top 6 forwards or top -four d_men would be fine with me.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
These type of ''we have too many bodies, who do we play?'' questions have a way of answering themselves in this sport.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
A late first round pick (between 20th and 30th) or a very good prospect that could end up playing on our top 6 forwards or top -four d_men would be fine with me.
We need all our guns for the PO. Trading Ryder for a prospect is simply not gonna happen.
Not only that, but Prospects are not what we lack off. We have healthy bodies being scratched regularly just waiting to get their next chance.

Id personally prefer keeping Ryder and hope he could snipe it up in PO, then having a young prospect that wont even play for us this year.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
I agree, Boullion and Gorges have exceeded expectations in the last 25 games. Gorges seems to take a beating out there, but continues to make the play. He seems like one of our most mobile D ( outside of Markov and Streit ).

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I can't see that happening. Gorges has been too solid, and Carbo seems really happy with him.
Well, nobody is gonna go anywhere until we start losing.
But in all likelihood, our Offensive lines seem to be set.
Streit and Hammer should stay together.
So its between Gorges or Bouillon, and i doubt Carbo would pair up two youngsters.
Bouillon-O'Byrne is the most likely pair.
Either that or put Streit back with Bouillon and O'Byrne with Hammer, but i really like Streit-Hammer.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
I agree, Boullion and Gorges have exceeded expectations in the last 25 games. Gorges seems to take a beating out there, but continues to make the play. He seems like one of our most mobile D ( outside of Markov and Streit ).
What I like about Gorges is that he makes good decisions and has the mobility to get into passing lanes to get the puck out of the zone. You rarely see him throw it into a skate because he's too sluggish to get into a good passing spot (**cough Rivet cough**). He's also very smart 1-on-1.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Well, nobody is gonna go anywhere until we start losing.
But in all likelihood, our Offensive lines seem to be set.
Streit and Hammer should stay together.
So its between Gorges or Bouillon, and i doubt Carbo would pair up two youngsters.
Bouillon-O'Byrne is the most likely pair.
Either that or put Streit back with Bouillon and O'Byrne with Hammer, but i really like Streit-Hammer.
Yeah, but you could always improve. If the Kovalev line goes cold, it would be nice if the Koivu line could pick up the slack, and there's no time like the present to get it into gear. Granted, they've been playing better lately, but that's in spite of Ryder, not because of him.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Darz

O'Byrne will be sent to Hamilton to rehab, and if everyone stays healthy in Montreal, he will remain down there for awhile.

01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Yeah, but you could always improve. If the Kovalev line goes cold, it would be nice if the Koivu line could pick up the slack, and there's no time like the present to get it into gear. Granted, they've been playing better lately, but that's in spite of Ryder, not because of him.
Well until we start playing bad, there's no way of knowing who'll be the cause of that.
Carbo seems to have gained some patience and is willing to let his players get another shot after a bad performance.

Old
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
le_sean

I'm not overly confident having that shutdown line in the playoffs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
My preference would be to keep Streit on defense and send O'Byrne to Hamilton, but I don't think that will happen.

If Streit must play forward, I think we should finally give up on Ryder, put Sergei Kostitsyn with Koivu and Higgins, and put Streit with Lapierre and Latendresse.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
My preference would be to keep Streit on defense and send O'Byrne to Hamilton, but I don't think that will happen.

If Streit must play forward, I think we should finally give up on Ryder, put Sergei Kostitsyn with Koivu and Higgins, and put Streit with Lapierre and Latendresse.

I think that O'Byrne should be sent back to Hamilton once healed. Our D is okay and I don't see him making it much better. I prefer Streit as a defencemen (he has ben playing fairly well lately).

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

How about Bouillon?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm not overly confident having that shutdown line in the playoffs.
I used to be skeptical about these 3 together but they are winning me over. I said to my buddy last night watching the Caps game, these guys look like a playoff line. Better than Juneau Dackell Sundstrom/Bulis, that's not saying much but the Smoke line has some jam unlike the previous 3rd/4th lines we have had, and can pop in a few as well. Teams that win the cup have a 3rd or 4th line like this.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote