HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Guy Lafleur accused of perjury.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
No its exactly what someone told me. I don't know if he was right, it's just what I heard.
I know that he had an accident around 1981-82 that was generally assumed to be alcohol related. There was a lot of urban myth surrounding that night and everyone says they know what really happened, but no charges were filed. That was a story in itself.

If he has dui's on his record, it's news to me though I don't know that he doesn't.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I know that he had an accident around 1981-82 that was generally assumed to be alcohol related. There was a lot of urban myth surrounding that night and everyone says they know what really happened, but no charges were filed. That was a story in itself.

If he has dui's on his record, it's news to me though I don't know that he doesn't.
Was that the mix up where he crashed his Porsche in a tunnel and cut his ear? I recall thinking at the time that it was very Van Gogh of the Flower.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I have a feeling the nickname, "The Flower" , will make him a bunch of new friends in prison.
Apparently his son was involved with an underage girl, I believe. Perhaps we should call his son "The De-Flower".

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Was that the mix up where he crashed his Porsche in a tunnel and cut his ear? I recall thinking at the time that it was very Van Gogh of the Flower.
Yeah, I remember that...a pole or something? From what I recall, a few inches the other way and Guy was toast.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
Apparently his son was involved with an underage girl, I believe. Perhaps we should call his son "The De-Flower".
Ok, the Lafleur jokes are usually lame but this one made me

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
HabsoluteFate

I met Guy Lafleur years go at a bar after a Old Timer's game and the guy was a nice guy...

I met Benoit Brunet years after that and the impression i got is i was not impressed...

Having said that if he lied and gets time it better be a lot less time than his son...his son is the one that commited the crime...

what happened anyways?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Thats pretty easy to say on an internet forum.
How cold hearted would one be to say to his son tough luck, you have to face your consequences, when your son looks at you crying his heart out saying he doesnt want to be the gf of some cellmate.

Im not saying he did the right thing by lying, none of us can actually be judgmental since none of us have been through it. I just meant to say that its completely understandable and it doesnt deserve any jail time.
This is actually a fascinating discussion, and if I had time I might have a lot to say, but is this subject better suited to the Lounge or something?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Letting his son go to a motel to fornicate with a 16 years old girl while he was supposed to be at home was a completely irresponsible thing to do,

Depends how hot she is. I'm pretty sure the law makes an exception if she looks like Elisha Cuthbert
Come on already. This topic should be moved off the hockey board.

Old
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
ENOUGH already!

Old
01-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
ENOUGH already!
Lafleur, son, fornicate, underage, perjury.

(lets see how long it takes...)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
V-2 Schneider

Guy could rightly tell they court he's too stupid to know if he lied or not.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Okay,

So let me get this straight, he says the Habs are a bunch of 4th liners and is now facing perjury charges for it?

Gainey:

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
"Guy Lafleur has done more for the Quebecois than the government. Corporal Denis Lortie missed his shot, but someday someone will NOT fail. They will ALL die." - Caller On CKAC

Jesus ****ing Christ man.

Had Rocket done the same thing...well he wouldn't have, but had he been involved in some like this, I can see that kind of reaction happening because of the cultural impact but....Guy Lafleur? Great player no doubt. But not THAT kind of icon. Not the kind of icon or leader or whatever you're ready to kill or die for...

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
"Guy Lafleur has done more for the Quebecois than the government. Corporal Denis Lortie missed his shot, but someday someone will NOT fail. They will ALL die." - Caller On CKAC

Jesus ****ing Christ man.

Had Rocket done the same thing...well he wouldn't have, but had he been involved in some like this, I can see that kind of reaction happening because of the cultural impact but....Guy Lafleur? Great player no doubt. But not THAT kind of icon. Not the kind of icon or leader or whatever you're ready to kill or die for...
It's not how great of an Icon Guy Lafleur is.

It's how utterly ****ed up radio is, and even more hopeless the callers are.

Seriously, these things are not meant to be listened by persons of sound mind.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
znk

If I had a radio show on CKAC I'd call a few callers retards. Could I do that? If the bosses would say it was to risky of losing sponsors and listeners I'd tell my bosses listen...that's how my show is going to work. It's going to become something listeners are going to be waiting to hear. The hosts are always way to polite with the callers.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatthatquestion View Post
You don't help your son by trying to cover up the crap he makes. You help him by teaching him how to behave and making him realize that he did some really stupid things.

Letting his son go to a motel to fornicate with a 16 years old girl while he was supposed to be at home was a completely irresponsible thing to do, and lying in court was another one. Like it or not, he made himself an accomplice by doing it and he deserve to be reprimanded for it.

Is status as a national hero shouldn't allow him to dodge this, we're not judging the hockey player here, we're judging the action of a canadian citizen who tought he was above the law.
lol you still have to learn about life.. You know nothing about his son and Guy Lafleur personally, you have no clue about what really happened, you can make all judgements you want, you are not in his shoes.. Guy probably decided to believe in his son and give him another chance..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
lol you still have to learn about life.. You know nothing about his son and Guy Lafleur personally, you have no clue about what really happened, you can make all judgements you want, you are not in his shoes.. Guy probably decided to believe in his son and give him another chance..
That sounds very much like him. I'm sure he did believe his son's words.

He's a man of heart and such men usually dont go with numbers and/or stats, they go with what they feel.

How can one blame a father feeling for his son?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:23 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Apparently Guy Lafleur's son twice broke a court imposed curfew while on weekend leave at his parents home. Hard to understand why Guy didn't let the girl visit him at their home rather than drive him to a motel after curfew. Because the son broke curfew he is now in jail awaiting trial rather than staying at a half-way house.

I don't see why the law would be going so hard after Guy by issuing an arrest warrant. It's not like Guy tried to help his son escape to another country to avoid the consequences of the numerous serious charges he will face at trial.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If I had a radio show on CKAC I'd call a few callers retards. Could I do that? If the bosses would say it was to risky of losing sponsors and listeners I'd tell my bosses listen...that's how my show is going to work. It's going to become something listeners are going to be waiting to hear. The hosts are always way to polite with the callers.
I agree, but that's also exactly why you would never be on the air.
Unless you're Howard Stern

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Apparently Guy Lafleur's son twice broke a court imposed curfew while on weekend leave at his parents home. Hard to understand why Guy didn't let the girl visit him at their home rather than drive him to a motel after curfew. Because the son broke curfew he is now in jail awaiting trial rather than staying at a half-way house.

I don't see why the law would be going so hard after Guy by issuing an arrest warrant. It's not like Guy tried to help his son escape to another country to avoid the consequences of the numerous serious charges he will face at trial.
That's why Guy is firing back at them and suing them as well.
According to Lafleur, basically the prosecutor, the cop and i forgot who else are trying to make a bigger name for themselves because of Guy Lafleur's popularity. So he's suing them back but i forgot what the exact term was.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
They filter the calls and only take what they want, so I guess that's what they wanted to hear.

I've heard the part with Réjean Tremblay live and it was one of the worse case of populism I've ever seen...

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:29 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Oh my god, that's so ****ing wrong, but I LOL'ed.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Somehow I just can't respect this guy lol. Even the lame jokes about his son, I'm like 'Good for him'.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Personaly i dont care for Guy Lafleur, he was lucky during his "good years", and i didnt even watch them, so hes nothing to me

During my lifetime, all ive ever heard about lafleur was that he was supposedly a great player, and a real @$$hole , and so far the last couple of years, hes said nothing but terrible, stupid, nonsensical things in the media making him look even worse than i thoguht he was

bye bye guy
This has to go down as one of the stupidest comment I have ever read on this board. How the hell was Guy lucky during his good years??????? He had more talent than any other player of his era. If anything, if he would of taken a little bit better care of himself physically, he could of put up even more impressive numbers, and maybe avoided some of the injuries that plague his latter NHL days.

Also, Guy HAS said some stupid things over the years (as a person who idolize GUY as a kid, trust me, I wish he wouldn't open his mouth around a reproter EVER!!!), but that doesn't make him a bad person.

01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
steven91

It seems like nearly everyone in this thread is ready to convict Lafluer already. May I remind you that we have the persumtion of innocence in this country. Until either Lafluer or his son are proven guilty they are still considered inocent. I'm not saying that they arn't guilty but they do deserve there day in court before people start assuming they are guilty.

Second of all I've seen reference made to the fact that Heatley didn't get jail time used as an arguement that Lafluer won't get jail time simply because they both have celebrity status. They Heatley case was enterly different. He killed one of his best friends and team mates in a tragic car accident, obviously he never intented to do this and the guilt he has to live with is likely punishment enough. Second the Snyder family didn't want to see Heatley do jail time, they too realized that what happened was a mistake and that their son would not have wanted to see Healtey spent time behind bars.

Here's an artice on the whole Lafluer situation,
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228547&hubname=

steven91 is offline   Reply With Quote