Notices

GDT - Ducks v Wild

Old
01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Crap. Perry scores but I missed it.

Nice play. Deft little pass by someone from the side and behind the net... Perry drifts along the red line and roofs it.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:18 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

vCash: 500
3-1

Perry

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Nikko*

nice goal by Paris

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
There's no way that first goal where he ducks and lets it in is not a bad goal.
Well.. I'll take a goal there if the other option was a head injury. The odds of that going in were preposterously slim, with the deflection happening the way it did. It was unfortunate, and pretty ugly, but how about defensemen who'll either block shots or get out of the way? [/Don Cherry]

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Nice hit by Scott on Gaborik.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Well.. I'll take a goal there if the other option was a head injury. The odds of that going in were preposterously slim, with the deflection happening the way it did. It was unfortunate, and pretty ugly, but how about defensemen who'll either block shots or get out of the way? [/Don Cherry]
A head injury? Like goalie masks don't provide INSANE amounts of protection these days? Have you ever played goalie? You might get rung but actually getting injured is not likely. Plus there is that pesky catching glove that could have come into use there.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Rob crosschecks a Wild player in front of the net. The Wild player is surprised by it and half-jumps. A shock type reaction.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
A head injury? Like goalie masks don't provide INSANE amounts of protection these days? Have you ever played goalie? You might get rung but actually getting injured is not likely. Plus there is that pesky catching glove that could have come into use there.
Statistically the odds still exist if he keeps his head there and takes it straight on. For the way we've been playing, if we lose 3-1 or 4-1, does it make a difference? My assumption is that he didn't duck for safety (although again, not a bad idea because masks aren't as bulletproof as you suggest), but because the puck was rising so fast. I didn't deny that it was an ugly goal, I just think that between Beauchemin tipping it the way he did and the incredibly small margin by which it snuck under the crossbar... that when the decision has to be made in a split second, it's not that bad a goal for Giguere.

As for the catching glove comment, my first point would be to ask if you've ever seen Giguere try to use his glove? Secondly, that's a pretty awkward spot to try and catch a puck. If anything, he should have jumped like he sometimes does, but hindsight is 20/20 (which is my contention, that it was a bad decision but not entirely an awful goal).

Old
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Nikko*

two crappy passes in a row by marchant.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
My assumption is that he didn't duck for safety (although again, not a bad idea because masks aren't as bulletproof as you suggest), but because the puck was rising so fast.

As for the catching glove comment, my first point would be to ask if you've ever seen Giguere try to use his glove?
I'm not saying bulletproof, but they are designed to redirect pucks so that force isn't totally absorbed head on. And the whole point of my glove comment (hence, why I called it PESKY) is that Giguere doesn't use it.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

4-1

The team obviously was not prepared for this game...get Selanne in the lineup on Friday and get back on track. This one is over.

Old
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Pierre-Marc "I don't score goals, I just get boatloads of assists" scores. Hiller was a little too deep in net there. Yay blowout.

Old
Ducksforcup
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
AAAAW.

4-1...not a great game folks. Frickin cherry picker Bouchard.

Dangnabbit. And today was the day I finished my finals too...I figured it could have been a perfect day with a Duck win as well...

Oh well. I suppose they can still come back...

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
I'm not saying bulletproof, but they are designed to redirect pucks so that force isn't totally absorbed head on. And the whole point of my glove comment (hence, why I called it PESKY) is that Giguere doesn't use it.
Maybe next time he'll take a page from Tommy Salo's book and cover his mask with the glove, eh?

Old
01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Well, its safe to say the All-Star break didn't do us any good.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I didn't have a good feeling going into this game. The team came off of a break, there's a distraction from Selanne, 3 game losing streak coming in, Getzlaf and Perry had been cooling off the past few games. Why oh why couldn't I have been wrong?

Old
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Rotten

Wow, this is awful. S. Niedermayer wasn't enough and adding Selanne might not do the trick. As long as Burke doesn't deal Anaheim's first-round pick this year, I'd be happy with someone like Hossa or Sundin. However, it doesn't matter what player(s) Anaheim adds if they keep playing this way.

Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Haha, I can't see that "is this the year" commercial the same anymore. I keep thinking "ESPN2?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
Wow, this is awful. S. Niedermayer wasn't enough and adding Selanne might not do the trick. As long as Burke doesn't deal Anaheim's first-round pick this year, I'd be happy with someone like Hossa or Sundin. However, it doesn't matter what player(s) Anaheim adds if they keep playing this way.
We really don't need anybody. There just aren't holes that are worth filling. Where would Hossa play? What would you do with Weight? The team's problems are all mental right now.

That said I would like some kind of Cup-hungry vet. Sort of a "win it for ___" kind of thing. And no, Bertuzzi doesn't count, everyone hates him.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Rotten

Oh, and Bertuzzi is absolutely horrible. He looks like he's not even trying at times. Unfortunately, he's here to stay. What a waste of money.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Oh, and Bertuzzi is absolutely horrible. He looks like he's not even trying at times. Unfortunately, he's here to stay. What a waste of money.
Just wait for the ebb and flow of our play to even out before jumping back on that bandwagon. Up until last week, he was playing exceptionally well, so I think it's too early to start re-declaring him a huge detriment.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
We really don't need anybody. There just aren't holes that are worth filling. Where would Hossa play? What would you do with Weight? The team's problems are all mental right now.

That said I would like some kind of Cup-hungry vet. Sort of a "win it for ___" kind of thing. And no, Bertuzzi doesn't count, everyone hates him.
We could open a roster spot. Bochenski, Sutherby, Carter and a few others are expendable. But yes, I think half of the problem is mental. Still, Anaheim could definitely use a pure goal-scorer in addition to Selanne.

Last edited by Rotten: 01-30-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Rotten

Quote:
Just wait for the ebb and flow of our play to even out before jumping back on that bandwagon. Up until last week, he was playing exceptionally well, so I think it's too early to start re-declaring him a huge detriment.
He had a stretch of good games but that's about it. What bothers me most is his lack of effort on the ice. It's one thing to be in a rut, but not giving 100% is inexcusable.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Oh man. Beautiful tic tac toe, Backstrom gets across to stuff Perry with the leg.

Quote:
We could open a roster spot. Bochenski, Sutherby, Carter and a few others are expendable. But yes, I think half of the problem is mental. Still, Anaheim could definitely use a pure goal-scorer in addition to Selanne.
Bochenski, Sutherby, and Carter could be moved, but that doesn't open up a spot for a Sundin or a Hossa. Those 2 would have to play in the top 2 lines. Which one of Selanne, Perry, Getzlaf, Kunitz, Bertuzzi, or Weight are you going to move down/off the team?

Old
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Bochenski, Sutherby, and Carter could be moved, but that doesn't open up a spot for a Sundin or a Hossa. Those 2 would have to play in the top 2 lines. Which one of Selanne, Perry, Getzlaf, Kunitz, Bertuzzi, or Weight are you going to move down/off the team?
At the moment, Kunitz would make the most sense. If the price is right, Burke/Carlyle will find a way to insert someone like Hossa into the lineup.

Old
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
At the moment, Kunitz would make the most sense. If the price is right, Burke/Carlyle will find a way to insert someone like Hossa into the lineup.
Kunitz isn't going anywhere. He is a core player. Burke signed him through 2012.