HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto San Jose proposal

Old
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Toronto San Jose proposal

I could see the leafs and sharks being good trading partners. San Jose are a contending team that has a lot of youth and Toronto are hoping to to find buyers for some of their players. I think Marleau would be a player the leafs are looking at but I have no idea what his value could be. I was thinking Toronto sends a package involving Kubina for a package from San Jose involving Marleau and some youth. I think San Jose would be looking for some players who are in or close to their prime and would help them for a cup run.

I dont know if this makes much sense so please give opinions and maybe try to make it better.

To San Jose:
Kubina, Stajan, Antropov,

To Toronto:
Marleau, Petrecki, Couture, 2nd in 08

I think the sharks' chances to win the cup would improve a lot if they did this. They get a good top pairing defenseman who can play well in any situation and has a Stanley cup ring. Antropov is a very good player who has great size and hands, he is injury prone but that hasn't been much of a problem this year and he is still young. They also get Matt Stajan who is young and will play for many more years as a decent 2-way center.

The leafs would do this because they have a chance to take Marleau who has been underacheiving and his value is low. He might not play better for Toronto but I think they should take a chance on him because they dont give up too much. They aren't using Kubina as much as he is worth because they have 2 other good defensemen, so why not change his salary for a forward? Toronto also adds 2 good prospects in Petrecki and Couture and they get a 2nd rounder which they dont have.

I think this deal could be a trade that both team win. It depends how far San Jose would get in the playoffs and how Marleau would play for the leafs. Also if Antropv can stay healthy the rest of his career he would be a very good player and it also depends on how the prospects the leafs aquire develop.

Thoughts?

Snip Genos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's too much from SJ, due to the fact it's Couture. I think a more possible idea would be something involving Bernier+Petrecki+Picks for those 3, but I don't see why they want Staj, or why we take on Marleau in a rebuild.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd lower your head. It will help in avoiding the flames a bit lol.

01-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Logan Couture, Nick Petrecki, and Ty Wishart are probably the only untouchable prospects where San Jose is considered. Doug Wilson made moves specifically to grab those three and he will not let them go in any move. He's a heavy believer in developing your own talent first.

Any trade with those three involved is simply not going to happen. Sharks also have no interest in Pavel Kubina.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Too much by San Jose.

Kubina is worth a 2nd round pick or maximum 1st if it's in 20's.

Petrecki & Couture are basically the two best prospects for Sharks. You won't get that from Sharks......

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
5H4RK5

That's it we're sending in newly acquired Jody Shelley for a fight.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
detredWINgs

Marleaus contract is exactly the type they should be avoiding. If they are going to have a 6M dollar man on the roster next season, he should post at least 20 goals the season prior, soemthng Patrick isnt even on pace to accomplish.

Conversely, Antropov is exactly the type of player they SHOULD be holding on to. Moderate-big producers who come cheap.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Wow ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm pretty sure San Jose doesn't want to move Couture at all, they did trade up in the draft just to get him.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
pthlcommish21

kubina has a no trade clause as well
always make things difficult

pthlcommish21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthlcommish21 View Post
kubina has a no trade clause as well
always make things difficult
It also makes no sense to add another defenseman w/o sending one the other way from San Jose's perspective considering that when Kyle McLaren is healthy, they have seven NHL defensemen. Kyle McLaren, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Craig Rivet, Christian Ehrhoff, Douglas Murray, Matt Carle, and Sandis Ozolinsh.

The team is definitely interested in an upgrade but simply adding doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

While the value is not bad from either side, it's just not a realistic deal for San Jose to deal its top two prospects (arguably) in a deal where they don't get a top defenseman back. Kubina would be a definite upgrade, but his contract isn't exactly fantastic for his point production (San Jose needs an offensive defenseman), and an NHL defenseman would have to be going back in the deal.

Antropov just adds another forward to an already stacked forward core (and no, I'm not using the word stacked as pertaining to how the Sharks forwards are playing this season, but there is a ton of talent and more importantly, just too many bodies on the roster).

Say the deal went through?

Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo
Clowe-Antropov-Bernier (Wow, I love this line)
Rissmiller-Mitchell-Grier

That's fine, but for three spots on the fourth line the Sharks have Pavelski, Stajan, Brown, Goc, Shelley, and Roenick. Just not possible.

As for the defense?
Vlasic-Kubina
Ehrhoff-Rivet
Murray-Semenov/Ozlolinsh/Carle/Davison

Just not realistic.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Borat Sagdiyev

Did you mean Kaberle and not Kubina?

Borat Sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml fan 16 View Post
I could see the leafs and sharks being good trading partners. San Jose are a contending team that has a lot of youth and Toronto are hoping to to find buyers for some of their players. I think Marleau would be a player the leafs are looking at but I have no idea what his value could be. I was thinking Toronto sends a package involving Kubina for a package from San Jose involving Marleau and some youth. I think San Jose would be looking for some players who are in or close to their prime and would help them for a cup run.

I dont know if this makes much sense so please give opinions and maybe try to make it better.

To San Jose:
Kubina, Stajan, Antropov,

To Toronto:
Marleau, Petrecki, Couture, 2nd in 08

I think the sharks' chances to win the cup would improve a lot if they did this. They get a good top pairing defenseman who can play well in any situation and has a Stanley cup ring. Antropov is a very good player who has great size and hands, he is injury prone but that hasn't been much of a problem this year and he is still young. They also get Matt Stajan who is young and will play for many more years as a decent 2-way center.

The leafs would do this because they have a chance to take Marleau who has been underacheiving and his value is low. He might not play better for Toronto but I think they should take a chance on him because they dont give up too much. They aren't using Kubina as much as he is worth because they have 2 other good defensemen, so why not change his salary for a forward? Toronto also adds 2 good prospects in Petrecki and Couture and they get a 2nd rounder which they dont have.

I think this deal could be a trade that both team win. It depends how far San Jose would get in the playoffs and how Marleau would play for the leafs. Also if Antropv can stay healthy the rest of his career he would be a very good player and it also depends on how the prospects the leafs aquire develop.

Thoughts?
i don't think you guys should make that trade. Toronto is a rebuliding stage and i do not think it is wise to get marleau. i think a trade like this is more realistic for a rebuilding team.

To San Jose: Pavel Kubina, Nik Antropov

To: Toronto: Joe Pavelski, and first round pick in 08.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml fan 16 View Post
I could see the leafs and sharks being good trading partners. San Jose are a contending team...I think Marleau would be a player the leafs are looking....
Thoughts?
A contending team doesn't trade one of it's top 2 centers.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
foggdawg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
A contending team doesn't trade one of it's top 2 centers.
I would add in the case of San Jose, unless they are getting one of the 12 All-Star d-men in return or something...Then they would probably think about doing it...

foggdawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Kubina is a solid defenseman, but at, like what, 5 mill a year?:S Yeah, his value in the league is like next to nothing, unless:

A) A team is below the cap by a marging, have bad defense and don't think they can get anyone on the free agency market.

B) A team has an overpaid play they don't want, and thus would be looking to dump him and would probably take Kubina in exchange as both teams would hope that Kubina and the other play do really well in their new enviroment.

C) Kubina is placed on re-entry waivers.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Lexicon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Kubina is a solid defenseman, but at, like what, 5 mill a year?:S Yeah, his value in the league is like next to nothing

Hilarious.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Doc Hock

there must be a full moon in southern ontario

hope the sunrise helps

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote