HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

MTL-CLB Proposals...

Old
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
MTL-CLB Proposals...

What would it take to get Sergei Federov from the Blue Jackets?

A little? A lot?

Seeing as he'd be pure rental, I got a few offers I want people to chime in on.

To Columbus
Michael Ryder
Bryan Smolinski

To Montreal
Sergei Federov

- Two UFA's, one a former back to back 30 goal scorer in a serious slump, the other an Ohio boy who might want to finish his career back home, for Federov.

or...

To Columbus
Michael Ryder
Mattieu Dandenault

To Montreal
Sergei Federov

- Once again, Ryder blah blah blah, Federov blah blah blah, but instead of Smolinski you get a versatile two way player who will still be on your roster next season.

Fair? Or would losing Federov cripple your chances in surpassing the Avs and Coyotes to get into the playoffs?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:26 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see why Columbus would do either trade, unless they really wanted to re-sign Ryder.

They already have a better Smolinski.. Peca.
Dandenault is hardly a valuable commodity.

I suggested D'Agostini or JT Wyman + 2nd in another thread, but that didn't elicit much response.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I don't see why Columbus would do either trade, unless they really wanted to re-sign Ryder.

They already have a better Smolinski.. Peca.
Dandenault is hardly a valuable commodity.

I suggested D'Agostini or JT Wyman + 2nd in another thread, but that didn't elicit much response.

i like Wyman and a 2nd round pick for Fedrov. i think it would work.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Columbus is still in the thick of the hunt for a playoff spot, so if they are losing a guy like Federov, they won't want a prospect, they will want someone who they can insert in the lineup right now.

I don't know the Blue Jackets enough, but getting rid of Federov, I think they want a player who can fill his skates, even just for the rest of the season (and hopefully post-season). Hence why I suggested guys like Ryder, Smolinski and Dandenault. Not that any of them can play like Federov, but that they are guys you can put in right away. Giving two is to soften the blow, and maybe a guy like Ryder could find his scoring touch back on Columbus.

Old
01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Columbus is still in the thick of the hunt for a playoff spot, so if they are losing a guy like Federov, they won't want a prospect, they will want someone who they can insert in the lineup right now.

I don't know the Blue Jackets enough, but getting rid of Federov, I think they want a player who can fill his skates, even just for the rest of the season (and hopefully post-season). Hence why I suggested guys like Ryder, Smolinski and Dandenault. Not that any of them can play like Federov, but that they are guys you can put in right away. Giving two is to soften the blow, and maybe a guy like Ryder could find his scoring touch back on Columbus.
Well my presumption was Columbus dropping off a bit for the reasoning for my suggested trade. Maybe they'd be interested in Smoke (who has a NTC) and Ryder, but I'd rather keep Feds if I were them.

Old
01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
RDriesenUD

We don't nec. need a nhl player back. IMO, anytime you make a trade, you trade to make your team better. Now and in the future. As to Ryder....NO THANKS! Some Jackets fans I am sure will disagree with me, but I wont miss Feds being gone. Im just as happy to go with what we are playing with now as I would be replacing one of our players with Feds when he comes back.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
ohiohabsfan

As a diehard Habs fan I can tell you that we don't want Feds.

He's a good guy, but he's pretty much done as a meaningful contributor.

ohiohabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohabsfan View Post
As a diehard Habs fan I can tell you that we don't want Feds.

He's a good guy, but he's pretty much done as a meaningful contributor.
How has he been in the face off circle this year? Not only that, isn't he still injured?

If Montreal were interested it would be for faceoffs like BG was talking about.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
emb24*

so let me get this straight, the habs are going to trade d'agostini who's slated to replace ryder if habs don't sign any ufa's and a 2nd? or wyman, another very good power forward prospect for an over priced, over the hill rental?

don't think gainey does this.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
so let me get this straight, the habs are going to trade d'agostini who's slated to replace ryder if habs don't sign any ufa's and a 2nd? or wyman, another very good power forward prospect for an over priced, over the hill rental?

don't think gainey does this.
D'Agostini will probably never score 30 goals. Expect SK to be on the 1st line next year. Wyman is still a project. With Maxwell, White, Pacioretty, Grabovski, etc, do you really give a **** about Wyman?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:30 AM
puckhead87

The Jackets would probably take whatever they can get for Fedorov because they won't be re-signing him. Even if they're still in contention for a playoff spot at the trade deadline, I predict they will trade him. He doesn't fit into their long-term plans. They will use the money they save on him to re-sign players, including Leclaire, whose stock is quickly rising, and sign a UFA or two in the summer.

puckhead87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Finnadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
how bout ryder halak and a 2nd
How bout trying to come up with something new? That one was at least somewhat funny about 2578 similar posts ago.

I can't see what the Habs would do with Fedorov. Koivu is doing well enough despite his slumps, Plekanec is having a career year and perfect linemates, Smolinski has been good since his injury, Lapierre does well and Chipchura is waiting for a new chance.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
How has he been in the face off circle this year? Not only that, isn't he still injured?

If Montreal were interested it would be for faceoffs like BG was talking about.
still injured , a concussion i think .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:36 AM
BritSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
how bout ryder halak and a 2nd
Careful, Chum:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=448287

As for the proposal - why does Columbus break up their first line for that deal. Who then plays centre on that line?

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Unless the guy is better than Pleks or Koivu, why do the Habs need to make a deal for a center to play on the top two lines? I don't see why the Habs need a guy like Fedorov who at this point isn't better than either of our top two centers. I really think Fedorov would be out of place on the current Habs squad. In all honesty the above two trades don't really help either team.

If the Habs want to make a deal for a center, it should be for somebody more elite and who is better than what they currently have, or a bigger, more physical 3rd line type.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Unless the guy is better than Pleks or Koivu, why do the Habs need to make a deal for a center to play on the top two lines? I don't see why the Habs need a guy like Fedorov who at this point isn't better than either of our top two centers. I really think Fedorov would be out of place on the current Habs squad. In all honesty the above two trades don't really help either team.

If the Habs want to make a deal for a center, it should be for somebody more elite and who is better than what they currently have, or a bigger, more physical 3rd line type.
The reasoning to acquire Fedorov is that he would be a helpful third line contributor.

Now, this may have all changed since Smoke came back from injury, since he seems to be filling in nicely but if this does turn out to be a flash in the pan from him, then we should still be looking for a defensively aware center who can win faceoffs and knows what it takes to win the whole shebang. Whatever offense he can contribute would be gravy. My goal here is to make a modest acquisition at the deadline that can help maximize the endgame of this team this season, not acquire a franchise forward for years to come. And I don't see why Fedorov would be out of place. Montreal plays a puck possession game, which is exactly the system that Fedorov flourished in while in Detroit. I don't expect that kind of offense, obviously, but I don't believe he'd be out of place.

All this trade talk being contingent upon Feds coming back from the concussion at some point, which I've read just now isn't progressing too quickly.

Old
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Puckhead58*

I wish everybody would stop making proposals for centers......we have good centermen now who earned their spot on the team and are capable of doing there job well. What we need is a winger to replace Ryder on the Koivu line or maybe another top 4 defencemen.
If we try to add another centermen then we are going to have too many centermen and somebody good will be playing on our 3rd line.

The lines we have been using for the last 3 or 4 games are perfect. They all work well and are smart lines. Ryder is dragging down Higgins and Koivu so that is the only place we need to improve.

I'd trade Ryder and Dandenault for a player like Hossa, Tanguay or Shanahan. Someone who can play on the top 2 lines, someone who has been around for a while and someone who can help put some points on the board.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
What would it take to get Sergei Federov from the Blue Jackets?

A little? A lot?

Seeing as he'd be pure rental, I got a few offers I want people to chime in on.

To Columbus
Michael Ryder
Bryan Smolinski

To Montreal
Sergei Federov

- Two UFA's, one a former back to back 30 goal scorer in a serious slump, the other an Ohio boy who might want to finish his career back home, for Federov.

or...

To Columbus
Michael Ryder
Mattieu Dandenault

To Montreal
Sergei Federov

- Once again, Ryder blah blah blah, Federov blah blah blah, but instead of Smolinski you get a versatile two way player who will still be on your roster next season.

Fair? Or would losing Federov cripple your chances in surpassing the Avs and Coyotes to get into the playoffs?
For the first offer,Smolinski has a NTC

The secong one is pretty good but I doubt it helps us that much.I would rather package a bit more and get us a sniper

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
D'Agostini will probably never score 30 goals. Expect SK to be on the 1st line next year. Wyman is still a project. With Maxwell, White, Pacioretty, Grabovski, etc, do you really give a **** about Wyman?
ya we kinda do, the guy is dominating the NCAA right now, i'd trade D'agostini before Wyman

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
How about Jason Chimera? He is a UFA at the end of the season. What would it take to get him from Columbus...a 2nd round pick (+ prospect) maybe?

Bring him in and move SK up with Koivu and Higgins and put Chimera with Lapierre and Latendresse. Then trade Ryder for a garbage bag.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:59 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I wish everybody would stop making proposals for centers......we have good centermen now who earned their spot on the team and are capable of doing there job well. What we need is a winger to replace Ryder on the Koivu line or maybe another top 4 defencemen.
If we try to add another centermen then we are going to have too many centermen and somebody good will be playing on our 3rd line.

The lines we have been using for the last 3 or 4 games are perfect. They all work well and are smart lines. Ryder is dragging down Higgins and Koivu so that is the only place we need to improve.

I'd trade Ryder and Dandenault for a player like Hossa, Tanguay or Shanahan. Someone who can play on the top 2 lines, someone who has been around for a while and someone who can help put some points on the board.
You mean Ryder, Dandenault and two first round picks?

Yeah it'd be nice to acquire a superstar talent, but they're generally not available and I personally don't think this is the year we should be selling the farm to get a rental (and Tanguay isn't worth the price tag IMO). Acquire a depth talent and let's see how the kids do in the playoffs. It's still a learning season despite the successes so far.

4 games out of 40 doesn't make Smolinski a great center for our team. I will admit that the third line was excellent, but no one seems to remember that that exact line (Begin-Smoke-Kostopoulos) was trotted out at the start of the season and did **** all. Excuse my skepticism that it will continue indefinitely. Fedorov is a third line center in my books. That's where I want him to play, and on the PK and late game situations.

I did preface my proposal (actually, I posted later, but it was still before you posted) with the conditions upon which I think it would make sense for Montreal and Columbus.

Old
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I wish everybody would stop making proposals for centers......
Federov can play center, wing and defence if you want him to. I was looking at his versatility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
For the first offer,Smolinski has a NTC

The secong one is pretty good but I doubt it helps us that much.I would rather package a bit more and get us a sniper
I know Smoke has an NTC, but if this is the last year of his career, I think he might want to finish it off with Columbus.

I think as Hab fans we overrate what we can offer to teams. If a team wants something back that'll help them now, we're SOL. If they want something for the future, we got a plethora of prospects. However, you suggest Max Pac or McDonaugh, guys who GM's will be gunning for and everyone gets scared.

Federov is a guy with a wealth of experience, would presumably work well with the other team Russians, plays a two way game that the Habs thrive on and could support in numerous ways. As a rental, he'd be very solid.

Old
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
ya we kinda do, the guy is dominating the NCAA right now, i'd trade D'agostini before Wyman
Since when a junior (or senior) in the NCAA is better than a AHL player?

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek_freak View Post
Since when a junior (or senior) in the NCAA is better than a AHL player?
huh? ok so who's better, Mcdonagh or Degon, Turris or Locke? get my point...

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
X0ssbar

As a Columbus fan I actually think this poster is on the right track and think this proposal:

To Columbus
Michael Ryder
Bryan Smolinski

To Montreal
Sergei Federov

...isn't all that bad. The Jackets get two veterans they can insert in the lineup for their playoff push and allows them a bit of flexibility to trade a guy like Peca, Vyborny, Malhotra, Chimera or Fritsche.

It doesn't do us a lot of good looking at in a vacuum but if you look at it as a way of giving Howson a bit more flexibility to make other moves than it makes more sense.

Heck this team needs more goal scoring and as bad of a year as Ryder is having with 8 goals, that would rank 3rd on the CBJ right now, tied with Fedorov and Chimera (yeah our goal scoring is *that* bad). It may be worth it to see if he can come in a provide a boost in that area to help with a playoff push.

I know Smolinki has a NTC but maybe he waves it.

Regardless, Feds is not in the long term plans for the Jackets and he won't be moved for picks or prospects unless those can be packaged immediately for a roster player..

I think he gets moved for some kind of roster player in return before the deadlline. At the end of the day I doubt Howson would take this deal as he'd want someone younger with more upside but its not a horrible proposal.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote