HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hunt For a Top 4 Defenseman Begins Here!!

Old
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
doublejack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
DJ, you really like Gill. When TO signed him at the price they paid, I was convinced JFJ was out to lunch. Gill is a pylon. I suppose if you just need a crease clearer.... but his skating could be an issue if you're facing teams like the Sharks, Ducks or Sens in the playoffs, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
gill actually has been one of torontos better defencemen this year. saying that i wouldn't take him if he was our only option.
That's why I like Gill. Toronto is horrible this year, and Gill has been one of their few bright spots. He's fallen into the negatives just recently (-1), but he's played consistent, solid stay-at-home defense this season. Ideally we'd acquire a better player, but plugging Gill in as our #4 is definitely an upgrade over Lilja.

Plus, Gill has another year on his contract for ~ $2 million. Will Lilja sign that cheap? That's pretty affordable for a top 4 guy. Remember, Gill was more of a 5-6 player before signing with Tornoto. But with the Leafs he plays 20+ minutes a night. If you acquired Gill then you no longer need to look at retaining Lilja and Chelios (with Q joining the roster next season). So you can save money and let Lilja walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
To the guys(or gals....to be inclusive) that don't think the Blues will move Jackman I beg to differ.

I like that people still think the Blues are in the hunt, but truthfully they aren't. We've got a nine game roadie in March, and really need to go 21-12-0 over our remaining games to have a shot at the 8th seed. Unless the guys win their next 6 or 7 we'll be sellers come deadline day.

Jackman will very likely be out of STL(we've got people to replace him in the system, we've got a major defense logjam...we've got at least 3 guys in the AHL that should be at the NHL level RIGHT NOW plus 4 promising guys who are between 1-3 years away).

Our teams have traded before, and I think that if the Wings make the best offer JD and company wouldn't hesitate to make the best available move. Though it would suck out loud to see Barrett against us 900 times a year.

Anyhow, if you guys covet Jackman he probably can be yours. Salvador on the other hand I really want the Blues to retain. He might be moved, but I'd say its roughly 50% as likely as Jax being moved.

Discuss. (I come in peace)
Well, first the situation isn't that dire IMO. Your team has 53 points in 49 games. That gives you 3 games in hand on 8th (57 points) and 2 games in hand on 10th place (56 points). Bottom line, win the 3 games in hand while going even in the rest and the Blues make the playoffs. However, if the Blues continue their current downward slide (3-5-2 in the last 10) they could be too far out in a few weeks and indeed become sellers.

Jackman is my ideal addition. What would it cost do you think? Obviously not defenders or D prospects since you're so deep there. The Wings don't really have any forwards to give up off the roster. So it would have to be picks and maybe prospects (Emmerton?).

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
solo16

I think wed be offering up one of our Pre AHL Swedish Prospects. Some good talent there. Maybee one of them and some picks. Dunno if that would be enough but Jackman is a UFA. But signing Jackman would make our cap alot tighter. Might be worth it though.

Lids-Rafalski
Kronner- Jackman
Lija/Lebda-Chelios

(id perfer Lija i think) The would be one skilled and Large Defense.

We can probably support Jackman at 4M. Or just front load it.
8M-7M-6M-3M-3M-2M-2M =25M/7 = 3.5M cap hit Factor in time over money he might even take it.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
doublejack

I think if you acquired Jackman and re-signed him, that would be it for Lilja. Between Lebda, Quincey and Meech there just wouldn't be room for Andreas. And with Jackman's salary there'd be no cap space for Lilja either.

Also, I like the idea of front loading a contract, but the CBA has a 50% rule. So if Jackman is making $8M in a season, the cap hit can't be less than half of that IIRC. I haven't read the CBA in a while so I might be a little off, but it works something like that. However, I think Jackman is still too young to want to accept a front loaded contract. He's probably going to want 14-18M over 4 years.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
solo16

Im not a Lija fan really but if we can sign him under 1.5M I think you gotta squeeze him in over Brett Lebda. He makes our Defense bigger and meaner. IF Lija is looking for more then 1.5 I agree cut him loose.

At his current 1M salary he is an incredible value imo. As a 5th Dman he would be a scary asset. Then when Lids is in the box we have a bit more tools for the PK. Chelios/Jackman/Lija

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post

I didn't realize that Zhitnik was a an UFA...
He isn't. Zhitnik has this season and next season both at $3.5 million, not all the D-men listed on the first post are UFA's. I' m not interested in Zhitnik, but I think he could be had for dirt cheap, he has dropped off the last two seasons.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Well, first the situation isn't that dire IMO. Your team has 53 points in 49 games. That gives you 3 games in hand on 8th (57 points) and 2 games in hand on 10th place (56 points). Bottom line, win the 3 games in hand while going even in the rest and the Blues make the playoffs. However, if the Blues continue their current downward slide (3-5-2 in the last 10) they could be too far out in a few weeks and indeed become sellers.

Jackman is my ideal addition. What would it cost do you think? Obviously not defenders or D prospects since you're so deep there. The Wings don't really have any forwards to give up off the roster. So it would have to be picks and maybe prospects (Emmerton?).
Most Blues fans think a 1st rounder and a 2nd tier prospect would be a good deal. I don't think anyone believes we'll get a team's top prospect, so a middle of the depth chart kind of guy is what I'm thinking.

Basically, with Jarmo running our drafts most people believe that any deal the Blues would accept would be centered on draft picks, rather than NHL talent or "big-name" prospects.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
Most Blues fans think a 1st rounder and a 2nd tier prospect would be a good deal. I don't think anyone believes we'll get a team's top prospect, so a middle of the depth chart kind of guy is what I'm thinking.

Basically, with Jarmo running our drafts most people believe that any deal the Blues would accept would be centered on draft picks, rather than NHL talent or "big-name" prospects.
Well that is less than what I expected. I still think the Wings won't go after Jackman, but if that is the price then the Wings can afford Jackman or Blake.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
FissionFire

A Kronwall - Jackman pairing would be the most fragile in the league. While I think he could be effective here, I think we need a top 4 guy who doesn't have an extensive and ongoing injury history to offset the apparent fragility of Kronwall.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Birko19

Tonight on TSN some of the crew on the panal said that top 5 in Anaheim at this point are the best in the league, this makes me think of our blue-line, you know we're only very good back there because we play a good system, but once the playoffs roll if we don't have the depth we will feel it sooner or later just like how we felt it last year without Kronwall and after the injury of Schneider.

As of this year the only legit elite d-men we have are Lidstrom and Rafalski, Kronwall is indeed having a good year and good enough to be a top 4 but we cannot count on him just incase he get's injured again, which is why we should go ahead and push for a guy like Blake or Foote.

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Blake/Foote
Lilja/Lebda - Chelios

I like the idea of having 3 right handed d-men and 3 lefties, the last time we had that blue-line formation was about 6 years ago and we all know what came out of it

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Tonight on TSN some of the crew on the panal said that top 5 in Anaheim at this point are the best in the league, this makes me think of our blue-line, you know we're only very good back there because we play a good system, but once the playoffs roll if we don't have the depth we will feel it sooner or later just like how we felt it last year without Kronwall and after the injury of Schneider.
Anaheim's defense is unbelievable on paper, but I fail to see an unbelievable on-ice product when I watch them. Pronger and Niedermayer are #2 and 3 behind Lidstrom, but I believe they're both a little overrated. Lidstrom is the best defenseman and best player in the NHL, IMO. In the playoffs last year our boys made Pronger and Niedermayer look average a couple times a game. Datsyuk shredded their defense a couple times last game. When do you ever see Lidstrom look average? The last time I remember was in the playoffs when Iginla scored in OT, which was a fluke mistake.

Then you have Schneider and we all know what Schneider's capable of. He has a cannon from the point and other than that he's nothing too special. He's getting up there in age and as we all know too well he's not that durable anymore.

Beauchemin is a good defensemen who can eat a ton of minutes, but elite defensemen make players around them look better than they really are. He's having an off year too.

O'Donnel and Huskins are solid. Their defense is deeper than ours but I honestly believe the Lidstrom factor evens things out. Maybe not completely, but if we acquire a legit top-four guy I think our defense is just as good as Anaheim's. Chelios really turns it on in the playoffs and he can eat minutes. Rafalski has been a good playoff performer too.

Last edited by Ricelund: 02-01-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I agree completely with arice89 on this. On paper, yeah, those names look and sound good, but the Wings have looked pretty good against the Ducks. It's not like their D stifles the life out of the Wings who then get blown out. How is it exactly that these games end up being pretty close then?

Old
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
heyfolks

The Ducks have ahangover but will turn it up come the playoffs. repeating in any sport is tough, but no matter their current play, they are the team to beat in the West. I just hope they slot in the other side of the bracket so they have to go through 2 opponents before they get a shot at the Wings

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote