HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Decision time for Rangers' Glen Sather

Old
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
It will be most unfortunately if the Rangers sell off their future for an outside chance to go deaper in the playoffs.
What future? Any names other then Montoya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I think what we'll see this deadline is a shuffling of UFAs, as teams try to fill their needs. For example my UFA defenseman for your UFA forward, etc. That will make up the bulk, but the big names will make the headlines.
Correct. That what cap does to the league.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
We did have one just like that. His name was Sandis Ozolinch. Sharks enjoy his services now. He could win SC with them in the spring.
I don't want a player who's a joke like Ozo was when he was here. I mean someone can play SOME defense, but is also offensively talented.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Salz

I think we have enough depth in our farm system to justify going the buy tactic. I feel we're only a couple of players away from being more of a complete team. As long as we don't deal Staal, Cherapanov, Bourret, Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin, Gomez, Lundqvist, or Dubinsky, I am okay.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I heard on Hockeycentral on Fan 590 in TO that Sundin doesn't want to waive his NTC because his GF lives in Toronto.
never have a gf during hockey season as a player

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Sather has really been a ghost for a while, it seems he only works like 2 days a year, the trade deadline and july 1st. No comments to the media all season? what is he thinking..
Thats incorrect sir, Sather works 3 days a year, you left out Draft Day, get you're info right if u must continue to post here!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
The Thomas J.*

All kidding aside I would like 2 see two defensemen come in, I would prefer the defensive minded hard hitting one over a puck moving one, I think with Mara & Rozi we are ok in that department

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i like the idea of going after dan boyle.

i'd rather they addressed the issue of getting a puck moving dman and a physical dman before looking into the avenue of bringing in more help up front.

i would definetly rather pay boyle the money rozsival will be looking for.

thats just me though

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

We don't need any centers. What is WRONG with these speculations? John? You alright?

4 Centers right down the middle that are top class.

As for Boyle, **** that? Way too expensive, we have our Boyle on defense and his name is Rozsival and he's better defensively and will be cheaper.

All these names are dumb. Only one worth going for is Staios.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I think we have enough depth in our farm system to justify going the buy tactic. I feel we're only a couple of players away from being more of a complete team. As long as we don't deal Staal, Cherapanov, Bourret, Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin, Gomez, Lundqvist, or Dubinsky, I am okay.
Wouldn't care if they traded Dawes or Bourret as long as it involved a top notch forward prospect or player.

Would actually like if they traded Girardi to get a better d prospect or a good yound dman w/ alot of potential ie bouwmeester. Girardi is vastly overrated and I honestly think he overachieved his first months here and the end of last year. I don't see him becoming more than a 5-6 dman and think his stock will never be as high as it is right now.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I don't want a player who's a joke like Ozo was when he was here. I mean someone can play SOME defense, but is also offensively talented.
Just watch some SJ games. He is the one.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
We don't need any centers. What is WRONG with these speculations? John? You alright?

4 Centers right down the middle that are top class.

As for Boyle, **** that? Way too expensive, we have our Boyle on defense and his name is Rozsival and he's better defensively and will be cheaper.

All these names are dumb. Only one worth going for is Staios.
4? I count 2. Gomez and Dubi. Drury is a better winger. and i have no clue who this 4th person you are reffering to. If it is Ani you are crazy b/c how can you call him top class when he isn't even dominating the AHL yet alone the NHL. and betts is good for a #4 center but he isn't a top class player.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Just watch some SJ games. He is the one.
I've watched a bunch of SJ games. Ozolinsh has been playing pretty well for them. But he was garbage here.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho, this team needs offense just as much as it needs defense. our defensive problems are occuring because our defense is expected to score every single game since our friggin forwards cant. were last in the league in offense, that needs to be addressed. imho foppa is the answer only because he costs us nothing but cash. trying to bandaid this broken team with him is a lot easier for me to stomach than them trading sanguinetti and next years first for mats sundin.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
4? I count 2. Gomez and Dubi. Drury is a better winger. and i have no clue who this 4th person you are reffering to. If it is Ani you are crazy b/c how can you call him top class when he isn't even dominating the AHL yet alone the NHL. and betts is good for a #4 center but he isn't a top class player.
Pal, the point was not meant to be top class. It means WE DONT NEED ANY.

If you guys HONESTLY think Drury is going anywhere in the next 5 years you got to go sit on the John and think a bit more. He isn't going anywhere, and moving him to wing is a good idea but he plays best at center.

He's talking about bringing Sundin here (wtf? We aren't going for a cup) and then Vyborny (to center Jagr, are you crazy? Gomez got Jagr going, why switch his centers and make Drury center the third line?) and Forsberg (which I'm not completely against, but, another big name bust may be just NOT what we need).

Old
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Boyle is way better than Rozsival offensively.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Wouldn't care if they traded Dawes or Bourret as long as it involved a top notch forward prospect or player.
If someone liked Dawes he would have had him by now. Bourret is not ready. He is dark horse at this time.

Quote:
Would actually like if they traded Girardi to get a better d prospect or a good yound dman w/ alot of potential ie bouwmeester. Girardi is vastly overrated and I honestly think he overachieved his first months here and the end of last year. I don't see him becoming more than a 5-6 dman and think his stock will never be as high as it is right now.
Overrated? Common, he had a few bad games. No one would notice that if Lundqvist was his normal self. Dan is as untouchable as Staal and Tyutin. Those three will play on Broadway for years to come.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Boyle is way better than Rozsival offensively.
Rozsival's creeping up on his totals. Boyle had three good years offensively and he's 2 years older. He sucks defensively. He's a liability.

Every year Rozsival has made his totals increase 10 points and doubled his goals, what makes you think he's going to slow down at age 29?

Rozsival next year your looking at 60 points give or take.

Giving up on Rozsival and trading him away or letting him go is a bad idea.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers are in a position right now where if they could bring someone in--it could help to correct their season. Not doing that very soon would seem to make it more likely that by the end of February we well be sellers--and more or less out of the hunt. So far in 2008 we are 0-4-2 on the road. Of the 30 remaining games including tonight 17 are on the road 13 at home. The Rangers to make the playoffs are going to have to become real road warriors. Not impossible but seeing no signs of a turnaround at this point I consider it unlikely to happen and especially if Sather doesn't do something quick. We need forwards with size and grit who like to battle along the boards and in the corners. A lot of teams are beating us because they're outbattling us in the trenches.

As for Drury I'm not happy with the season he's having. I don't expect that he would be easy to shop with a $7 mil cap hit. He's playing like a $2.5-3 mil player. Definitely not spectacular or clutch and maybe he does need to be moved to wing. As for moving Staal to get Sundin forget it. Rangers have a lot of excess in Hartford who are very good prospects--they have pieces to make a deal with. They just have to be careful about not trading the core prospect which is about 1 through 5 on our prospect poll. Think about what Toronto gave us for Leetch--nothing (when all was said and done) that great.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Melrose_Jr.

All that matters is that Boyle, or any defenseman, is better than Strudwick or Malik. It's not a question or Boyle OR Rozsival.

Staios is a good option too Cherepanov, but I do think the '07/'08 Rangers would be better served by Boyle's abilities than a more defense-oriented defenseman. Of course, that assumes things like, Renney using Boyle as the PP QB, allowing Boyle to break out of the zone carrying the puck for the Jagr line, and other strategic moves that he has been unwilling to make with acquired players in the past.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
All kidding aside I would like 2 see two defensemen come in, I would prefer the defensive minded hard hitting one over a puck moving one, I think with Mara & Rozi we are ok in that department

To me, neither one is a puck moving defenseman. In order to be one, don't you on occasion have to lug the puck out of your own end rather than pass it?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...-2.html?page=0

John Dellapina doesn't mention the price tags involved in trading for some these players or how many seasons they have remaining on their contracts.John's thinking is Sundin will tell the Leafs that he wants to be traded to only the Rangers(to play with Henrik Lundqvist)and the Rangers get him for a song.That's what he thought this time last season with the Forsberg rumors.

It's all speculation on John's part because

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312008...lts_489183.htm

Sather talks to the Edmonton Journal but not to the local papers.You know where Slats can put his cigar
I think the decision time is for Dolan to fire Sather and Renney. It is past the time for change. They have had their chance and should be gone.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
imho, this team needs offense just as much as it needs defense. our defensive problems are occuring because our defense is expected to score every single game since our friggin forwards cant. were last in the league in offense, that needs to be addressed. imho foppa is the answer only because he costs us nothing but cash. trying to bandaid this broken team with him is a lot easier for me to stomach than them trading sanguinetti and next years first for mats sundin.
agreed, yet again.....i think the rangers should go for FA's like forseberg and i know markov is in russia for the season but he would be the ideal player fot he rest of the season if thye could pry him out of russia.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
All that matters is that Boyle, or any defenseman, is better than Strudwick or Malik. It's not a question or Boyle OR Rozsival.

Staios is a good option too Cherepanov, but I do think the '07/'08 Rangers would be better served by Boyle's abilities than a more defense-oriented defenseman. Of course, that assumes things like, Renney using Boyle as the PP QB, allowing Boyle to break out of the zone carrying the puck for the Jagr line, and other strategic moves that he has been unwilling to make with acquired players in the past.
That's exactly it though. A better coach would be getting Rozsival to shoot more and I doubt Renney is attempting that. A better coach would use former 30 goal scorer on the PP more (Prucha). A better coach would be putting Shanahan on the third line and off the PK line. A better coach would have his team scoring some god damn goals.

He sucks. Renney is horrible. As of late he's getting REALLY pissed off at this team and thats good, makes me like him a bit, but only if he keeps up to the point where he whips them into good gameplay. Keep up the fire and Ranger fans won't hate you, they may think your not suited, but they'll like you for giving them **** about their ****** play.

I just can't see Renney using Boyle correctly because he never uses anyone correctly. And plus, if this question is about Boyle replacing our 5th and 6th d men what would be the point? Boyle is a has been and maybe could put up 40 points but with limited minutes in the 5th or 6th spot? With a 3,333+ cap hit? That's just like Mara back there. 5th or 6th d men should not be that expensive. And it's out of the question to think he could outplay anybody in our current top four, so.

Anyway, Staios would be good for this team. Any defensive defensemen that's willing to get his hands dirty would be good for this team.

Klesla, Staios, you name it..

Go get them Sather.

Old
01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
They have had their chance and should be gone.
Renney has had a chance and he's taken the playoffs two years in a row and progressed further in the playoffs between the first and second seasons. He's had a chance. And he's done well. To say Renney's had his chance implies there's a history of failure. And that's not the case.

01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
I think the decision time is for Dolan to fire Sather and Renney. It is past the time for change. They have had their chance and should be gone.

Ever heard of a guy named Isiah Thomas?

Not to mention that this team has made steady improvement each year under Renney, and Sather has actually built up one of the most impressive farm systems in the league. But you're right. Any coach that doesn't win the Stanley Cup in 3 seasons is absolutely an unqualified failure.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote