Is Mike Smith Available?

Old
01-31-2008, 05:19 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I think he has the potential to be a #1. Whether he stays in Dallas and continues to be the backup, I don't know...but I would love for him to stay here.

Nobody is going to come in here and steal Turco's position away, which I think Smitty understands. But as, ajacied said, Smitty has stolen numerous game already..especially against Anaheim it seems.

The only way I see him becoming the #1 here is
1) Turco somehow...someway gets traded which isn't going to happen.
2) Turco goes down long term with an injury.
3) Turco gets a career ending injury.
Before the '99 expansion draft (the Columbus one I think), he gave away Roman Turek in exchange for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Now, that ended up fine, because after his one big year, it turned out that Turek sucked, but after watching Turco and Manny Fernandez pan out, I'm leery about giving away another top-notch young goalie in order to keep the vet. Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff and Lundqvist became Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff and Lundqvist by getting starting jobs, and I don't think we'll really know about Smith unless we hand him the reigns at some point. After next season, Smith is unrestricted and Turco will have one year left. Don't we resign Smith to legit money and hand him the starters reigns at that point?

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:40 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
After next season, Smith is unrestricted and Turco will have one year left. Don't we resign Smith to legit money and hand him the starters reigns at that point?
Not if Turco plays the way he did in 06-07 playoffs for the 07-08 and 08-09 playoffs.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Not if Turco plays the way he did in 06-07 playoffs for the 07-08 and 08-09 playoffs.
The best reason to say why Turco played so good in last years playoffs was he had more time off during the regular season and not because of injury.
I'd honestly sign Smith to a extension(if he's willing to) and play him a bit more in the regular season giving Turco more rest.
Then if Stephan proves to be ready, then Smith can be dealt the next off-season.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The best reason to say why Turco played so good in last years playoffs was he had more time off during the regular season and not because of injury.
I'd honestly sign Smith to a extension(if he's willing to) and play him a bit more in the regular season giving Turco more rest.
Then if Stephan proves to be ready, then Smith can be dealt the next off-season.
But what if Smith wants $2 million or more? Is it worth it to have nearly $8 or more tied up cap wise to goaltending? I don't think it is. The Stars, therefore, have to make a decision on either Turco or Smith at the conclusion of next season at latest.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
It's plenty worth it, the cap will be going up and it's only a $1.05 million raise over what he's making now($950k I believe).

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Chad_

Quote:
It's plenty worth it, the cap will be going up and it's only a $1.05 million raise over what he's making now($950k I believe).
I disagree, but I also think that he might be a good trade chip to bring in another needed player. That is only if the club is sold in Turco.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:54 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 297
Quote:
Nobody knows if this is true or not.
Quote:
I'd honestly sign Smith to a extension(if he's willing to) and play him a bit more in the regular season giving Turco more rest. Then if Stephan proves to be ready, then Smith can be dealt the next off-season.
Smith can't be dealt next off season, unless that is short for "dealt with" (ie: signed to an extension). Smith is unrestricted next summer.

Money isn't the issue ... I think, "guys, I've been the good soldier for 5 seasons, I've learned all I can learn, I'm going where I can start" is the issue. If we can't offer him that, even $4m won't keep him here.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote