HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

World Cup Team

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
World Cup Team

Let's argue about something else for awhile. Here's my team Canada, feel free to tell me how mis-guided I am.

G- Brodeur,Theo,Luongo
D-Pronger,Jovo,Blake,Foote,Brewer,Niedermeyer,Redden
F-Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Madden-Doan
Nash- - St.Louis
2 of Lemieux,Yzerman,Primeau

I think Ryan Smyth may have been passed by a few young guys though I'd like him on the team, and Lecav., well I just have a feeling St.Louis would get you a big goal when you need it.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Let's argue about something else for awhile. Here's my team Canada, feel free to tell me how mis-guided I am.

G- Brodeur,Theo,Luongo
F-Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Madden-Doan
Nash- - St.Louis

I think Ryan Smyth may have been passed by a few young guys though I'd like him on the team, and Lecav., well I just have a feeling St.Louis would get you a big goal when you need it.
Looks good to me. I don't think I'd put Brewer in there. They might want to slip Bouwmeester in there to get him some experience.

I'm not sure Madden will make the team, but he very well could. I like Doan a lot for this type of tourney on the small rink with his speed and hitting.

Can't complain with any of those players and hopefully Theodore can steal the job from Brodeur.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:40 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
If Allison is healthy he's on my team, so assuming he returns this year and is...

F
Gagne -- Sakic -- Iginla
Nash -- Allison -- Heatley
Bertuzzi -- Thornton -- Doan
Kariya -- Lecavalier -- St. Louis
---
Smyth, Tanguay/Recchi

D
Niedermayer - Pronger
Jovanovski - Bouwmeester
Foote - Blake
---
Souray/Brewer

G
Brodeur
Theodore
Luongo/Denis

Old
01-26-2004, 08:47 PM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
i dont think gagne should make it!

Old
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee

G- Brodeur,Theo,Luongo
F-Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Madden-Doan
Nash- - St.Louis

A lot of the players you named won't make it to the World Cup because they will still be in the playoffs.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:53 PM
smnhppu

Not a huge fan of Bertuzzi's - I think he has a big-time lazy streak. I also don't think Gagné is really earning his spot this year. Tanguay on the other hand is winning a spot. I also wonder whether Spezza'll be considered.

Nice post though. It's a welcome change from the Trade/don't trade Koivu.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:54 PM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
A lot of the players you named won't make it to the World Cup because they will still be in the playoffs.
The World Cup is in August...

Old
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnhppu
The World Cup is in August...
Alright, what did I miss? Too much time sheltered from the rest of the world for me studying for engineering...

Old
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
I rather have Bouwmeester over Brewer
I think another strong candidate has to be Adrian Aucoin. He's super solid with NYI.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:58 PM
mcphee

Kerberos, I meant the fall tournament coming up, I don't know what it's called.

Plekanec, I chose Madden because I don't think Peca is playing the same game since his injury. I like Gagne because he thinks the game well and is positionally sound. I think Spezza is in line behind Lecav. at this point. I kind of like Bo over Brewer too, as I read a lot of negative Brewer comments, so either one is fine with me. Morris too for that matter.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabby
i dont think gagne should make it!
I agree, I think he's very overrated, there are similar players througout the league who play the same game and could bring more to team Canada, Martin St-Louis or Alex Tanguay just to name a couple

Old
01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I agree, I think he's very overrated, there are similar players througout the league who play the same game and could bring more to team Canada, Martin St-Louis or Alex Tanguay just to name a couple
He played great on a line with Sakic and Iginla in Salt Lake. There won't be a lot of returnees up front, so I think it makes sense to keep the team's best line together. I agree though, he hasn't had a great year, but I prefer him to Tanguay.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Do Martin St-Louis and Alex Tanguay have the same magnitude, opposite direction and have a line of action parallel to each other?! eh!

(Alright, that's an engineer joke but I'd bet you'd find it funny too if you spent your time studying that boring stuff).

Old
01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Habber

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the World Cup rosters are to consist of 23 skaters and 3 goalies. As well, 3 players on each team have to be under 22.

So that makes 5 lines and 4 sets of D. My picks:

Kariya Sakic Iginla
Nash Thornton Bertuzzi
Doan Allison/Mario Heatley
Tanguay Lecavalier St. Louis
Gagne Spezza Recchi

Pronger Blake
Jovo Niedermayer
Redden Foote
Souray Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Theo
Luongo

That makes Nash, Spezza and Bouwmeester our under 22's.

Marleau could give Vinny a run for a centre spot, but I don't think Madden will make it as the statement that Gretz and Hockey Canada at the Olympics was pretty clear: they want to send the most skilled guys available and will not take defensive or role players.

Also Ryan Smyth, Shanny and Glen Murray could challenge for spots to replace Recchi or Gagne.

On D, I think Brewer has played himself out of a spot this year, as any Oil fan wll tell you he's been brutal. Aucoin might challenge for a spot as well.

I think the tenders are a lock with the only question being who gets to back up Brodeur. (I hope it's Theo)

Old
01-26-2004, 09:22 PM
TroyM

Kerberos: You are thinking of the World Championships, which includes the best players whose teams are not in playoff competition. This year they are having a "World Cup" in August which will be the real test of a country's strength, it will have all the best players in competition. There hasn't been one since the 80's I think

I have a question though: When exactly was the last one and why did they decide to have another? Also, are they going to make it a regular thing now?

Regardless, I'm sure every Hockey fan is hyped to watch

Old
01-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Mike8

I'm fairly certain it's 23 players period, and 3 under the age of 22. Could be wrong though.

Kerberos: you're thinking of the World Championships that take place in April. World Cup happens every four years (but we've missed it the past 3 times I think) in late August, early September. Some of the games will take place in Montreal.

McPhee: I like your team except for Brewer. I think he's regressed this season. I like the inclusion of St.Louis, he's a fiery guy and should fare well in this format. He's a player that will gel with anyone.

Not sure about Gagne either. He's seemingly regressed as well since 2002. I would think Spezza, Smyth, Recchi, Peca, or Allison would be picked before him.

Old
Habber

Quote:
Not a huge fan of Bertuzzi's - I think he has a big-time lazy streak. I also don't think Gagné is really earning his spot this year. Tanguay on the other hand is winning a spot. I also wonder whether Spezza'll be considered.
I watch a lot of Nucks games and Bertuzzi is definately not lazy. If he has a fault, it's that he has a bad temper and is over-aggressive which leads to bad penalties. He gives 100% every single shift, and even though he isn't scoring as much this year he's more resposible defensively (he's +24) and still draws a lot of attention in the offensive zone.

Spezza will be there because of the under 22 rule.

Old
smnhppu

The last one was the summer right before the lockout - if I'm not mistaken - It was the summer that they opened the "Molson" Centre. I remmber because I was there for those two last games when the US beat us.

Sather was behind the bench and the Canadians ran into a red hot Mike Richter.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:33 PM
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM
Kerberos: You are thinking of the World Championships, which includes the best players whose teams are not in playoff competition. This year they are having a "World Cup" in August which will be the real test of a country's strength, it will have all the best players in competition. There hasn't been one since the 80's I think

I have a question though: When exactly was the last one and why did they decide to have another? Also, are they going to make it a regular thing now?

Regardless, I'm sure every Hockey fan is hyped to watch

the last world cup was in '96. the tournement used to be called the Canada Cup and they changed it to the world cup. the torney is usually every 4 years, but they skipped 2000. i don't know why they skipped it. i assume they are going to continue the world cup to 2008 but who knows what will happen after the new CBA.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
dre

and my team so far this year is:

in no particluar line combination

heatley thorton iginla
kariya sakic bertuzzi
tanguay lemieux doan
nash Peca St louis
Shanahan spezza gagne

niedamyer blake
pronger macinnis
jovanoski foote
souray boumeester

brodeur
theodore
belfour

-if quinn and hitchcock are coaches belfour might get nod just because its 3rd string and he enjoyed the olympic experience. but also maybe they want luongo to get international experience
-if lindros continues to improve i'd take him over peca
-if macinnis and lemieux can't play replace with lindros and mccabe, aucoin, or redden. also souray isn't a lock over the d-man i already mentioned but i'm a habs fan so you want to see a hab playing on the team
-recchi, smyth, murray, yzerman, nolan will be making big pushes as well
-a lot of the forwards on the team can change positions easily so i wouldn't worry about line combos too much
-maybe they can give crosby a call to play too lol

and also do they dress all these players or do they go with 4 lines and 3 defenceman pairings

Last edited by dre: 01-26-2004 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add a few points
Old
01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
rib71

all the teams are pretty good execpt i dont think gagne deserves a spot id rather have st louis !!!!!

Old
01-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Talking about the World Cup... Is anybody going to any of those games?

Old
01-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
I think another strong candidate has to be Adrian Aucoin. He's super solid with NYI.
Yet another candidate is Brad Stuart, who seems to be back on track towards developing into a franchise defenceman.

Also, I wouldn't take Kariya. In terms of small playmaking wingers, I would rather have Tanguay and St. Louis.

There's also no way I'd take Lindros. Just too many players ahead of him.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Talking about the World Cup... Is anybody going to any of those games?
I have my tickets. 65$ for both games (Canada vs Slovakia and Canada vs USA on the 31st of August and 1st of September) in the Molson Ex Zone.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:15 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
I rather have Bouwmeester over Brewer and Peca over Yzerman and Madden
Peca is canadian ? i 've always think that he was european ...

Closed Thread