HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec leads the team in points!!

Old
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
There is more to Plekanec than points.

He is the best forward of the Habs, period. **** the points. This guy is an amazing two-way forward.

If he was a better natural athlete, he'd be elite in this league.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Don't worry, be happy!!

Right now we would have to trade youth to "add that other dimension to our team".
We have 4 good lines. I prefer that to just one good line...

I like a good team, not just 1 star...6 to 9 good forwards instead of only ONE 100 pt player (or PPG player). Depth is soooo important, imo.

For example, I'd rather have what we have (many good players, many young players with promise) rather than what Tampa Bay has (3 star forwards). Mind you...I wouldn't mind having 1 or 2 out of their 3 star players!!
And, yes...I realize that Tampa Bay won it all not too long ago (I give 'em credit although I really thought Calgary would have won it), but...I really like what we have.

Go HABS Go!!
No complaints here! Just wish someone out there could get Koivu and Higgins going game in and game out.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post

He is the best forward of the Habs, period. **** the points. This guy is an amazing two-way forward.

If he had 3 more inches and 20 more pounds, he'd be pretty damn good. Probably a star, but not a superstar.

I just wonder how good his line can be if they can get shutdown at EV against teams like washington.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
JJ68*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
If he had 3 more inches and 20 more pounds, he'd be pretty damn good. Probably a star, but not a superstar.

I just wonder how good his line can be if they can get shutdown at EV against teams like washington.
They were not shut down. Pleks got an assist at even strenght tonight vs washington.

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:

I find it pretty amusing that many attributes Kovalev's success and impact on this team this year by only his resurgence as a motivated player or his strong skill game.IMO,Plekanec is an very important factor of Kovalev's success,and it tends to be underestimated and overlooked.He makes Kovalev and AK better around him.He's doing well offensively as he's playing a very very solid two-way game.The scary part
is that he's only getting better.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post

With extra height and weight, he might not become a superstar due to understated play but he might be more valuable than many superstar.

As for being shutdown, don't worry about it. Happens to the best of them. What matters is how he brings it over the long haul. Plus, don't forget his emergence is relatively recent. He wasn't the same player at the start of the 2006-2007 season. That wasn't too long ago.

It sucks that he leads the team in points, though. Teams may soon figure out that he is the most important player on his line.

Old
01-31-2008, 10:44 PM
JJ68*

Quote:
With extra height and weight, he might not become a superstar due to understated play but he might be more valuable than many superstar.

As for being shutdown, don't worry about it. Happens to the best of them. What matters is how he brings it over the long haul. Plus, don't forget his emergence is relatively recent. He wasn't the same player at the start of the 2006-2007 season. That wasn't too long ago.

It sucks that he leads the team in points, though. Teams may soon figure out that he is the most important player on his line.
I think teams know that all 3 guys on our first line are great so there trying to focus on shutting them down which is opening up room for our 2nd and 3rd lines. 3rd line got 3 goals tonight so it's all good.

Higgins Koivu and Ryder NEED to wake up though. Especially the two wingers. God they suck lately.

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
I find it pretty amusing that many attributes Kovalev's success and impact on this team this year by only his resurgence as a motivated player or his strong skill game.IMO,Plekanec is an very important factor of Kovalev's success,and it tends to be underestimated and overlooked.He makes Kovalev and AK better around him.He's doing well offensively as he's playing a very very solid two-way game.The scary part
is that he's only getting better.
You are so freaking right, man!

I didn't want to say that because, you know, I'll be called a "Kovalev hater" or some similar crap.

Plekanec is MVP for the Habs forwards. That much has been certain in my mind for quite some time.

Old
01-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68 View Post
They were not shut down. Pleks got an assist at even strenght tonight vs washington.
1 EV assist for an entire first line is a shutdown in my book.

Quote:

That's exactly what is worrying me, they have already figured that Plek's line is the true Habs first line, and their EV production has already slowed down. I see way too many fancy plays from those 3 at my taste, they should keep it more simple. We'll see how it turns out in the next 10 games or so.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68 View Post
Higgins Koivu and Ryder NEED to wake up though. Especially the two wingers. God they suck lately.

On the other hand, it could be ok if they continue to sleepwalk and wake up in the playoffs.

It's pretty tough to get 20 players on the same page for 82 games + a complete playoff run.

Markov (he can be better than that), Koivu, Higgins, Dandenault and Ryder are guys that might give the team a boost come playoff time.

Of course, some players are at risk of disappearing too.

Old
01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
snakeye

"Plekanec will be nothing more than a 3rd liner."

This is what many people were saying about him not too long ago. Perhaps me as well, I can't remember.

But let's not get too excited, many people here saw Higgins as a first liner, look at him now.

I remember many people here saying Higgins >>> Plekanec.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
ari1160

turtleneck all the way...

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
"Plekanec will be nothing more than a 3rd liner."

This is what many people were saying about him not too long ago. Perhaps me as well, I can't remember.

But let's not get too excited, many people here saw Higgins as a first liner, look at him now.

I remember many people here saying Higgins >>> Plekanec.
Now it looks more like Plekanec >>>>>>>>>>>> Higgins , and it's not even close...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
See i don't find...I think A. Kost will score more goals, but S. Kost will get more points....I guess its something we should enjoy seeing!
I'm not so sure. Both are goalscorers, but if S.Kost gets a real number 1 center with good vision, he'll be potting goals in left right and center. His positioning is flawless. A.Kost can create his own goals better cuz he does have a lot more skill and a better shot, but S.Kost has a nose for the net and positions himself better than anyone I've ever seen. It'll be close, but imo S.Kost will score more consistently, but then again that'll depend on his linemates.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
bipolarhabfan

Plekanec's play has greatly improved this season. He is turning into a very useful player for the Habs. We must also remember that his breakout only started a calender year ago. Therefore, he will get better. His line, and even the third with Lapierre, Latandresse, and Kostitsyn are playing well. If we could get the 'first' line going, we would be in a very good position going forward. Or, they need to get another top-six forward and trade Ryder for a draft pick and a prospect.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I seriously see Segei Kost having the POTENTIAL to be a ppg player. He plays such a complete game...i'm so impressed.

Oh ya, this thread is bout Pleks...way to go PLEKS!!!!! Keep it going!
BOTH he and his bros are future PPG players... lets just be patient.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:10 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
p.s.: way to go Latendresse and Sergei for helping the HABS get an important point tonight...
It's pretty obvious to me, that there are the forwards we should have on our #2 line.

Let Ryder and Higgins go to Line 3 with Lapierre, and work out their kinks there.

Koivu needs a little more support, and right now that line is the definition of dysfunctional.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Personally I think we should trade him for Marleau.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You forgot the ?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Watch it buddy... some here will misconstrue your sarcasm for reality!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I wish we had a PPG player on this team. I mean it doesn't hurt that bad since the points are spread out through lots of players. But it would give another dimension to the team.
I think we don't have ppg players because the Plek line started out cold.
But for the last (25?) games, they have been ppg guys.
Last I checked They all had 20 in last 20 or close to that.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Now it looks more like Plekanec >>>>>>>>>>>> Higgins , and it's not even close...
I think it's a matter of who they play with..

IMO, your arrows would be more suitable for the following:

Kovalev >>>>>>>>>>>> Koivu

That said, Plekanec is proving EVERYONE (but his mom) wrong. Who would have thought that he'd produce that much? Even André Savard said that he was surprised!

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
I think we don't have ppg players because the Plek line started out cold.
But for the last (25?) games, they have been ppg guys.
Last I checked They all had 20 in last 20 or close to that.
As mentioned, Pleks has 28 points in his last 26 games. the other two have almost a PPG average as well in their last 25...

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
I think it's a matter of who they play with..

IMO, your arrows would be more suitable for the following:

Kovalev >>>>>>>>>>>> Koivu

That said, Plekanec is proving EVERYONE (but his mom) wrong. Who would have thought that he'd produce that much? Even André Savard said that he was surprised!
right now it has nothing to do with who they play with and everything to do with how they play. Higgins is not Higgins anymore. He was great while playing with Koivu before....so that's not an excuse.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Latendresse has only 2 less goals than Higgins now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote