HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Numminen Revisited

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 04:29 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Numminen Revisited

Looking at what defensemen are bringing back these day and the number of teams that need one, it looks like dumping Teppo for Sillinger might have been poor asset management. I think Numminen to Toronto today or to Philly last week might have brought us a little more than Sillinger.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Waldo

And needless to say, he didn't want to be here!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Looking at what defensemen are bringing back these day and the number of teams that need one, it looks like dumping Teppo for Sillinger might have been poor asset management. I think Numminen to Toronto today or to Philly last week might have brought us a little more than Sillinger.
Teppo is having a terrible year. He's a 4.5 million dollar bust in Dallas. 2 g 7 a 9p -1 in 37 games. They were expecting more. And lest you have forgotten, he didn't want to be here. It was good asset mngmnt.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:09 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Teppo is having a terrible year. He's a 4.5 million dollar bust in Dallas. 2 g 7 a 9p -1 in 37 games. They were expecting more. And lest you have forgotten, he didn't want to be here. It was good asset mngmnt.
Perhaps he would have done better in Phoenix. There is no way of knowing.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:19 PM

OK, so we could have traded Burke instead and kept Teppo until this point.

We would have traded Burke for the equivalent of Sillinger, and then we could have traded Numminen for someone like Justin Williams perhaps. Not bad, probably more than we will get for Burke, but lets not forget that one of Burke or Teppo was not starting the season in Phoenix.

Old
01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
OK, so we could have traded Burke instead and kept Teppo until this point.

We would have traded Burke for the equivalent of Sillinger, and then we could have traded Numminen for someone like Justin Williams perhaps. Not bad, probably more than we will get for Burke, but lets not forget that one of Burke or Teppo was not starting the season in Phoenix.

To be fair, I don't think Numminen would have fetched a Justin Williams, although he would garner more than a journeyman depth center.

Old
01-27-2004, 09:35 PM
roadrunner

Although I hated to see Repoman go, I like the way management acts swiftly in moving people that don't want to be here anymore. No dressing room needs that. Besides, we would not be seeing the monster that Shane Doan has become!

Old
01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Although I hated to see Repoman go, I like the way management acts swiftly in moving people that don't want to be here anymore. No dressing room needs that. Besides, we would not be seeing the monster that Shane Doan has become!
What does one have to do with the other? I suppose you mean Doan's added responsibility has made him a better player, but while that may be the case, I doubt it. Also, Numminen wasn't a great captain, they could have given it to Doan.

Old
01-27-2004, 09:57 PM
roadrunner

Quote:
What does one have to do with the other? I suppose you mean Doan's added responsibility has made him a better player, but while that may be the case, I doubt it. Also, Numminen wasn't a great captain, they could have given it to Doan.
Sorry, I guess I got a little off track from your original point. It would have been ALOT better if we got more in return for Teppo than just Sillinger, which we probably could have during this season, as you said.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. All I know is that as long as I had to suffer seeing our blueline experience dwindle SO much over the summer, at least part of that was Doan being named Captain. And FRIKKEN A YES, I DO think wearing the "C" and how seriously he has taken it has shown a level of play I only dreamt he had in him.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:44 PM
hbk

Quote:

even with the pick I would agree. However, Phoenix was essentially granting Teppo his wish to be moved to a cup contender (so he thought anyways) and Teppo and his agent dictated the teams that Phoenix could negotiate with. Even then there weren't a lot of teams looking to pick up $4.5 million in salary. There still aren't to be honest. Phoenix wasn't in a good bargaining position and it's unfortunate that they were unable to pull the trigger on that deal with Detroit. water under the bridge though. That's a hard deal to judge the work of Barnett on. It was a no-win situation.

Old
01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
eye

Quote:
Teppo is not having one of his better years but has played though some nagging injuries. Waldo many Yotes fans are raving about Tanabe who I agree is a tremendous skater but he only has 3 more pts. than Teppo and has averaged an extra minute of icetime and played 7 games more than Teppo. Dallas has started to turn things around since Teppo's return which IMO is not a coincidence.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
Teppo is not having one of his better years but has played though some nagging injuries. Waldo many Yotes fans are raving about Tanabe who I agree is a tremendous skater but he only has 3 more pts. than Teppo and has averaged an extra minute of icetime and played 7 games more than Teppo. Dallas has started to turn things around since Teppo's return which IMO is not a coincidence.
Yes. But Tanabe is a young and still developing Dman who was able to play log major icetime and play on special teams. And he walked in here with everyone expecting him to be a major bust. He was traded because he was considered to be a bust. Teppo is a good journeyman defenseman but certainly nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. I certainly hope they resign him so we can get the conditional (was it a 2nd rnd ??? ) pick

Old
01-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I wish the conditional pick was clearer. M=G seems to think it is a 1st round pick based on resigning Numminen. Other accounts have it as a 2nd round pick conditional on playoff performance. That it isnt clear only reminds me of the last obfuscated conditional pick-that-never-was for Brad May which by the way was a very badly-done condition since Vancouver signed May literally days afterwards. I can see Dallas letting Teppo go simply to avoid the condition.

Numminen has always been stronger in the second half so I think he will improve.. especially as he starts to mesh better with his teammates.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Yes. But Tanabe is a young and still developing Dman who was able to log major icetime and play on special teams. And he walked in here with everyone expecting him to be a major bust. He was traded because he was considered to be a bust. Teppo is a good journeyman defenseman but certainly nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. I certainly hope they resign him so we can get the conditional (was it a 2nd rnd ??? ) pick

Old
01-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
I can see Dallas letting Teppo go simply to avoid the condition.
Yes. I'm afraid that may be the case. Too bad if that happens. No trade contracts should hopefully not be offered again by MB. But Dallas is playing really well right now. Hope they do think highly enough of Teppo to resign him.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
hbk

Phoenix elected not to exercise their contract right and was very prepared to let him walk as a UFA. To get anything for him was a bonus. How everything was handled was done strictly to save the embarassment of both parties. Numminen got his salary and Phoenix managed to reduce their payroll. As an asset management deal of course we got hosed. We knew we were going to get hosed as soon as Teppo wouldn't allow us to deal him at the deadline last year. The writing was on the wall and the organization handled it in a respectful matter. I think they did a good job in saving face; which under these circumstances was the best case scenario.

Old
02-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Not being picky or a hardass or anything but Numminen could(at least should) have fetched more than Sillinger at the time the trade was made.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I think Dallas played Barnett pretty well and Columbus probably played along with it - revenge for signing McLeod. I wasnt really happy with Sillinger - we should have got a 2nd round pick as well IMO.. but we may still do.

One of Teppo's or Burke's salaries had to go. Phoenix treated Teppo with respect however and Im glad they did.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:25 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Not being picky or a hardass or anything but Numminen could(at least should) have fetched more than Sillinger at the time the trade was made.
Numminen dictated the terms as to where he would play and who Phoenix could deal with. Hard to do anything more when you have a gun stuck to your head. People keep forgetting that their is a draft pick associated with this move. We don't know the conditions but I think it is safe to say it is at the very least the equivalent as to what Dallas would get next year is they let Teppo become a UFA. Likely a pick in the second or third round.

Closed Thread