HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As a GM, what exactly has Sather done so wrong??

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 03:06 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
The Lindros deal.

What the Flyers got from trading Lindros:
Johnsson
Hlavac
Brendl
3rd round pick
$$$$$ saved.

Johnsson has been one of our 2 best defenseman since the deal.
Hlavac was traded along with the 3rd round pick for Brashear.
Brendl was the primary piece in the trade for Kapanen.

The $$$$ saved from paying Lindros went directly to Roenick.

So a rangers fan can't just say they picked up Lindros, and the only thing of value they sacrificed was Johnsson.

You have to look at what could have aquired for Johnsson, Brendl, Hlavac, 3rd round pick, plus about $6 million in salary that could have been used on a UFA.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
You have to look at what could have aquired for ... about $6 million in salary that could have been used on a UFA.
Actually I'll be happier when the Rangers don't use their spare change to pick up UFAs.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Actually I'll be happier when the Rangers don't use their spare change to pick up UFAs.
Nothing wrong with signing the occasional UFA, as long as you pick the right player, for the right price.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:22 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Nothing wrong with signing the occasional UFA
Yes, and I'm looking for the Rangers to make it more occasional.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Fletch

I actually don't think...

Sather's done horrible and has been too frivilous with the UFA signings. He hasn't been great, but hasn't been horrible. This year we saw deVries and Simon as good UFA pick-ups, and Mironov as a so-so pick-up (and Bouchard as a decent, but not-too-significant pick-up - or was he picked up on waivers?). He managed to stay away from big names, especially offensive big names. Last year it was Holik, Kaspar, Oliwa, Ward, Donato and Tibbetts. Not too upset over the Holik and Kaspar signings; Oliwa and Ward played in less than 10 games each and Tibbetts played 11 games to many. Donato played way too much, but wasn't all that horrible when used correctly. Still, not a heck of a lot of activity. The previous year was bad, with Karpa, Ulanov, Heisten, Ciger and Berard. Not sure why Karpa was signed. Ulanov was horrible, although was traded for Bure, but even so, did enough damage. Heisten was a step in the right direction, but he may never be anything. Ciger lasted only a couple months and turned out to be Barnaby, not so bad. And I actually thought Berard was a good pick-up (should've went with him and kept York though). And then the first season was, I believe, just Messier and Malakhov. Still can't understand why one would sign Malakhov over Schneider, but that season, Malakhov was a no-show. Messier, well we all have opinions there.

Also along the way he resigned Richter and Leetch, each of whom nobody would argue should not have been signed.

Strange group of UFAs, for sure.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:45 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Sather's done horrible and has been too frivilous with the UFA signings. He hasn't been great, but hasn't been horrible.
Not at all my point, Fletch. It's the buyer's philosophy I want gone. How about NO UFA signings; we take our lumps as a result; we get some top-6 draft picks; we draft some elite talent?

Old
01-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Fletch

I hear ya..

although I believe UFAs should be part of the strategy. I don't believe the team should be signing 4-5 depth guys who may not even play on the team, but you do need to fill holes sometimes with some vets and if done properly can be effective. Doing nothing at all doesn't help anybody. Bottom line is the organization needs a GM who knows what he is doing in order to sign the appropriate players.

Closed Thread