HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

If you could buy any skate...

Old
01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Waterboy

vCash: 500
If you could buy any skate...

...what would it be?

I'm looking to purchase new skates. I was sure I'd find an old thread in here but didn't see one. If you could have any pair of skates (based on price and quality) what do you recommend or what do you already wear?

I've been wearing Graf 609's for the last few years and love em but thought I'd see if there is anything that a bunch of guys recommend over them. Before the Grafs I wore Bauer 4000s when they were brand new - so its been a while in the Grafs.

I've got an E width foot so a wider skate fits better and a high arch...if that makes a differnce at all.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
jacklours

personaly I will not leave Graf for any reason. I think they are just the most comfortable skates. However I haven't shopped around for skates for the past 5 years at least since the last 2 pairs of skates I've bought we're Graf and I didn't even look at other companies.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I'd stay with my RBK 9k's.

I tried the one90's......yeah didn't work so well.

01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
I would stock up on the original Vapor 10s. Honestly I wouldn't mind some one90s or XXXXs but if they arn't gonna fit my foot like the Vapor 10s, perfectly I'd say, then it'd be pointless.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
slapsh0t77

skates

I need to get new skates too. But im gonna wait until the new stuff comes out, like the Vector U+, One95, new synergys, and rbks. My present skates r 7k pumps. I would not reccomend pumps to anybody because they just do not last. Both my pumps are broken and iv had them for a little under a year.

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
stick9

If I could buy any skate. I'd go with CCM Vector Pros...the ones with the silver mesh side panels. Custom built to fit my foot perfectly with white LS2 holders and the best steel possible.

What I would recommend, anything that fits your foot.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just bought a pair of Vapor XXV's. They are the ONLY skate that fits my foot. Not much difference to the Vapor XXXX's. But I tried on Grafs, Mission XP and AG, Supremes, Vector, RBK's, Stealths, Synergies, everything. And the ONLY skate that fit was a Vapor in EE.

VERY important to try on everything.

That said, if money was no object, I would also try the Graf G35 and KOR Shift 2. But those weren't around and I don't have $500 to spend on skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

I would wanna get Bauer Supreme one90s, but you would have to be playing ALOT to get the most out of them.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
...what would it be?

I'm looking to purchase new skates. I was sure I'd find an old thread in here but didn't see one. If you could have any pair of skates (based on price and quality) what do you recommend or what do you already wear?

I've been wearing Graf 609's for the last few years and love em but thought I'd see if there is anything that a bunch of guys recommend over them. Before the Grafs I wore Bauer 4000s when they were brand new - so its been a while in the Grafs.

I've got an E width foot so a wider skate fits better and a high arch...if that makes a differnce at all.
I did the same thing, my old skates were 4000s, now I have Grafs. I really wish I had never bought the Grafs.. they took forever to break in/get used to. I dunno if it was just me, but I was not all that thrilled. But since I spent hundred of dollars on the Grafs, and they are perfectly fine, as far as not being worn out, I will not be switching anytime soon.

I think if I was going to buy new skates, I would try on all the new Bauers, because I loved how my old ones felt.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
graf 707 in white like Dan Carcillo wears.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
BamaCapsFan

Thermablades!

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
...what would it be?

Grafs.

I had the old CCM tacks for years and I loved them. But when my boot wore out I got some new ones and they're far too narrow for my feet.
I had Bauers for a time before the CCM's but I can't go back to them. I don't like the rocker on them.

Graf's are expensive but in my mind they're the best out there.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
I did the same thing, my old skates were 4000s, now I have Grafs. I really wish I had never bought the Grafs.. they took forever to break in/get used to. I dunno if it was just me, but I was not all that thrilled. But since I spent hundred of dollars on the Grafs, and they are perfectly fine, as far as not being worn out, I will not be switching anytime soon.

I think if I was going to buy new skates, I would try on all the new Bauers, because I loved how my old ones felt.
Would your ather complain about spending hundreds on Grafs and have them hold up or complain abaout spending hundreds of dollars on todays skates and have them breakdown in under a year? Ive seen far too many complain about Vaprs or the One90s breaking down way too fast.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Diamond Joe

Love my Graf 705s, had em for I guess this is my 6th season now. Don't play competitively anymore but they're a great skate. Probably will stick with the Grafs, at least when I need to get another pair, dunno when that'll be though.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Canadian Chris

Much like everyone else...LOVE my Graf G3's....into my 4th season with....on the ice a ton...lately, 5 nights a week between games and officiating and then often extra times when I'm out playing pond hockey....skates are fabulous. Definitely will be looking at Grafs again when its time...although that's probably a few years down the road yet!

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:29 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Would your ather complain about spending hundreds on Grafs and have them hold up or complain abaout spending hundreds of dollars on todays skates and have them breakdown in under a year? Ive seen far too many complain about Vaprs or the One90s breaking down way too fast.
probably a good point, i don't own vapors so i wouldn't know.. maybe I'll feel better about my Grafs now

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

http://hockeymonkey.com/graf-hockey-...tra-se-sr.html

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
vexXed

Nice to see all the love for Graf out there. I'm skating on 709's now as they fit me the best out of the skates I've worn so far. I didn't get the G9's or Ultra G9's as I had heard the outsole kept chipping away and deteriorating. I suppose a few years down the line when I have to replace 709's, Graf will have addressed the issue and I would go for them.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
spoon*

I'd stick with my XXXX's

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo_11 View Post
Same here, I'd love to have those skates. I have grafs now and love them.

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
one90's are the best by far.

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 09:18 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak95 View Post
one90's are the best by far.
So good they are being replaced in just three short years...

The One95 was designed to fix everything that was wrong with the One90. When a skate has that many flaws or issues it's hard to call it the best skate on the market.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
RobertKron

Mega Air 90s via a time machine or something.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote