HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do We Really Want to Finish 8th?

Old
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

vCash: 500
i would love 8th, i just want to get to the freakin playoffs

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
Who in their right mind believes we will have 9 or less losses in the next 2 and 1/2 months????? We have 9 games against Detroit (5), SanJose (2) and Nashville (2). If we cannot sustain any better intensity level than our last 2 games against Phoenix and Nashville what makes you think we are going to suddenly turn on the energy and succeed in the other remaining games.

I will root for the CBJ every game and I hope I am wrong but CW tells me we are on the outside and losing ground too rapidly.

As for making the 8th spot, yes it would be a feather in our cap and no more "the only team never to make the playoffs", but a 4 game skunking at the hands of Detroit may taste just as bad.

Who knows roughly how much each playoff game generates in revenue for a team?
Teams sometimes play to the level of competition. We haven't been hot in the past couple of games, but maybe we step it up against Detroit and others that are bona fide playoff teams.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:07 PM
MisterC

Send a message via AIM to MisterC
Why not play the Red Wings first?

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
cbjNash61

I for one will say I would like to see them in the playoffs..period! Whatever spot doesn't matter, but if it is 8th, if memory doesn't fail me hasn't Detroit been put out first round in the last 2 years or 2 out of 3 years????
Not saying CBJ could do this but really does it matter, make it to 8th and then whatever happens after that is all just bonus as far as I'm concerned!

cbjNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Teams sometimes play to the level of competition. We haven't been hot in the past couple of games, but maybe we step it up against Detroit and others that are bona fide playoff teams.
That would be nice, but actions speak louder than words and I have seen too many lackluster performances in "must" win situations to believe that is likely. I would love them to prove me wrong but if it looks like dung and smells like dung then it is dung.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I just want them to get there. Experience gained, no more "only team not to make it...", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjNash61 View Post
if memory doesn't fail me hasn't Detroit been put out first round in the last 2 years or 2 out of 3 years????
Edmonton took them down first round in 2006 en route to the Finals, if I remember right.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
That would be nice, but actions speak louder than words and I have seen too many lackluster performances in "must" win situations to believe that is likely. I would love them to prove me wrong but if it looks like dung and smells like dung then it is dung.
Well... only one way to find out, I guess: Let them play the games and hope they can win.

Old
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
CBJheadhunter

Quote:
Who in their right mind believes we will have 9 or less losses in the next 2 and 1/2 months????? We have 9 games against Detroit (5), SanJose (2) and Nashville (2). If we cannot sustain any better intensity level than our last 2 games against Phoenix and Nashville what makes you think we are going to suddenly turn on the energy and succeed in the other remaining games.

I will root for the CBJ every game and I hope I am wrong but CW tells me we are on the outside and losing ground too rapidly.

As for making the 8th spot, yes it would be a feather in our cap and no more "the only team never to make the playoffs", but a 4 game skunking at the hands of Detroit may taste just as bad.

Who knows roughly how much each playoff game generates in revenue for a team?
I have to agree. Love the CBJ and will cheer for them no matter what happens, but it's a tough schedule and we are losing ground. Howson needs to make some major moves quickly and our guys need to step it back up in a major way or we are again "hopefully" looking at next year's playoff race.

CBJheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
Edmonton took them down first round in 2006 en route to the Finals, if I remember right.
Yes. Won the series 4-2.

Old
02-01-2008, 08:28 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Well... only one way to find out, I guess: Let them play the games and hope they can win.
Losers hope they win, winners have the will to do it.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Losers hope they win, winners have the will to do it.
If the players are hoping, that's an issue. But I, a fan, am not on the ice every night playing the games, so my role is to hope they can win while I follow them game in and game out.

Old
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

lets not worry about maybe finishing 8th and lets hope for it...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
blahblah

According to some of our esteemed forum prognosticators, the Columbus Blue Jackets will cease to exist before the rest of the world ends on Dec 21, 2012.

You guys better hope for and first round exit from the mighty Wings. That's all that can save our franchise from moving to Kansas, Nevada, or some wacked out place in Canada and rob us of last 2 or 3 years of hockey in Columbus for we all die in a fiery blaze....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:08 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
According to some of our esteemed forum prognosticators, the Columbus Blue Jackets will cease to exist before the rest of the world ends on Dec 21, 2012.

You guys better hope for and first round exit from the mighty Wings. That's all that can save our franchise from moving to Kansas, Nevada, or some wacked out place in Canada and rob us of last 2 or 3 years of hockey in Columbus for we all die in a fiery blaze....
Someone missed the whole point of that post. What a surprise.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Someone missed the whole point of that post. What a surprise.
lol, no I didn't. It's the same web people have been spinning for months/years. It's as tired now as ever.

Just having a little fun with the lastest round of... team analysis.... being done.

Last edited by blahblah: 02-01-2008 at 10:41 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:36 PM
donniedarko

I've got to post on this......why would we move? Also where is this coming from? This board is being taken over by the crazies as well I see....ahh, I remember back in the day....

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Whoever makes the final #8 playoff spot gets to play Detroit in a best of 7 with the Wings having home ice. Somehow with the way our team plays, especially on the road, that doesn't sound like much fun. If Howson brings in a couple seasoned playoff vets however, that might change things. Still if we do make the playoffs, and I'll be the most surprised if we do, with the races so close, I hope we can leap up to 7th and at least have a chance to get by the 1st round.
I say bring em on. Even if we lose(and we probably would) that series, playoff hockey, plus a Detroit matchup would be magical for Columbus.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
better than 9th. More respect comes our way too, for making the playoffs.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:39 PM
BZArcher

To everyone who says a run is impossible, that we can't possibly win enough games:

Look at the Islanders last year. Smart money in the East said there was no way they'd make the playoffs, that the move for Ryan Smyth was a wasted play at the deadline, and that they'd be golfing in April.

And yet they pulled themselves off the mat and won every game they had to to squeak in. Even gave Buffalo a bit of a scare in the first round.

Howson obviously is not sitting still in the GM's office. We should get Feds back soon, and perhaps Modin still has a contribution to make.

I don't think the team is done yet. Let's see what happens.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post
To everyone who says a run is impossible, that we can't possibly win enough games:

Look at the Islanders last year. Smart money in the East said there was no way they'd make the playoffs, that the move for Ryan Smyth was a wasted play at the deadline, and that they'd be golfing in April.

And yet they pulled themselves off the mat and won every game they had to to squeak in. Even gave Buffalo a bit of a scare in the first round.

Howson obviously is not sitting still in the GM's office. We should get Feds back soon, and perhaps Modin still has a contribution to make.

We need to start winning though....can't make the playoffs if we can't win.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Macster

Man I'll take 8th any damned time. Playoffs are playoffs man, anything can happen.

The familiarity with Detroit would be an advantage, combined with how well we have played them this season. Hitch would have the boys ready, we know that much.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post

We fare very well at the playoffs still. Feds has been sorely missed. now Pub, and Pubblah tell you we don't need him, when we sorely do...Once he's in the line up, we'll have a different game, and once Modin's back. We definetly have a playoff run. And now we have Dick Tarnstrom

Last edited by Cyborg Yzerman: 02-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
We fare very well at the playoffs still. Feds has been sorely missed. now Pub, and Pubblah tell you we don't need him, when we sorey do...Once he's in the line up, we'll have a different game, and once Modin's back. We definetly have a playoff run. And now we have Dick Tarnstrom
I never thought I'd say this but I agree, I think we have missed Fedorov.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I never thought I'd say this but I agree, I think we have missed Fedorov.
we're not a good enough team, to be able to function without him yet. :-\

Old
02-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
We'd be lucky to get 8th, we sure as hell aren't going to get 7th or higher.
Ummm...we're only 2 points out of 7th and 5 points out of 5th with 29 games (58 points) remaining

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote