HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do We Really Want to Finish 8th?

Old
02-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
we're not a good enough team, to be able to function without him yet. :-\
Im surprised no one has made that statement about Shelley yet!!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:33 AM
CBJ 97 61 16

Do we want to finish 8th?

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Hell YES!

Hockey is going to explode in this city when the Jackets make the playoffs. All of that disrespect we get from our own city will disappear when the Jackets make a run. I've noticed it already. We're right in the thick of things and Hitch, Howson, and some players are beginning to pop up on radio shows to do interviews more and more. Plus, I think the rivalry with Detroit will be turned up if we play them in the playoffs. The only bad thing that will happen is all of the Red Wing fans will pile into our building more than they do now.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Forget 7-6-5th or anything higher. Beggars can't be choosers.

Beg for 8th place...Beg for it this season.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
Ummm...we're only 2 points out of 7th and 5 points out of 5th with 29 games (58 points) remaining
...and if we win tonight & the stars align correctly tonight, anyway (COL loss, NSH loss because we'd pass them in the standings), we're tied for 7th. I know there's still 28 games to play, but at least we're not 23 points out and setting up tee times at Super Bowl time.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
5StringBuzz

Do I want to finish 8th? No. I want to finish first. I also want a golden toilet, but that ain't gonna happen either.

I'd be very happy with 8th or any number smaller than that.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
Do I want to finish 8th? No. I want to finish first. I also want a golden toilet, but that ain't gonna happen either.

I'd be very happy with 8th or any number smaller than that.
The good news is we CAN finish first by finishing 8th. Everyone is 0-0 when the playoffs start. We just need another piece on offense.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not trying to be short sighted or start settling for the proverbial 2nd place mindset here, but Teams like Detroit can reasonably say that the goal is the Cup.

Our goal should be just to qualify for the post season now...then worry about what happens then... We don't need to be looking past teams that are in worse shape than us we need to be focused on beating them and not thinking to who our possible first round opponent is...

I wouldn't settle for 8th...I'd pray for it.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Colorado Avalanche

You don't want to finish 8th. Seriously believe me. Colorado has been "bubble" team for couple years now. It sucks. You will get into playoffs, that's great and then you get bounced out in the first round or second. (What a great feeling).. And when that happens two times in two years, it's really starting to suck. IMO I would rather lose 5 years in a row like Penguins than stay a bubble-team who will never win anything. Win it all or nothing.

But the situation in Columbus might be different.. Maybe fans in Columbus just want to see Columbus making the playoffs(and it would be huge there..), but from my experience it ain't great feeling, it sucks actually, if you can't improve your team from that.

Bubble-team is the most annoying position to be in.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
IMO I would rather lose 5 years in a row like Penguins than stay a bubble-team who will never win anything. Win it all or nothing.
Been there, done that..

I would rather be bounced out in the first round for a few years.

Having said that, the idea is to improve every year and get off the bubble. If you don't, then you have bigger issues.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
We'd be lucky to get 8th, we sure as hell aren't going to get 7th or higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
We are 1 point out of 8th and 4 points from 5th. We have as good a chance to finish higher than 8th as anyone.
Thanks JBum...
Some people can't get over being negative to see reality...
A good run for us and a skid by a team or two above us - who knows.
It's a longshot that we'll get home ice advantage but, we could easily bypass Detroit in the first round.

But, all else said, I don't care who we play in the playoffs. I will be soooooo pumped...

jacketsgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsgeek View Post
Thanks JBum...
Some people can't get over being negative to see reality...
A good run for us and a skid by a team or two above us - who knows.
It's a longshot that we'll get home ice advantage but, we could easily bypass Detroit in the first round.

But, all else said, I don't care who we play in the playoffs. I will be soooooo pumped...
Remember, puff, puff, pass.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You don't want to finish 8th. Seriously believe me. Colorado has been "bubble" team for couple years now. It sucks. You will get into playoffs, that's great and then you get bounced out in the first round or second. (What a great feeling).. And when that happens two times in two years, it's really starting to suck. IMO I would rather lose 5 years in a row like Penguins than stay a bubble-team who will never win anything. Win it all or nothing.

But the situation in Columbus might be different.. Maybe fans in Columbus just want to see Columbus making the playoffs(and it would be huge there..), but from my experience it ain't great feeling, it sucks actually, if you can't improve your team from that.

Bubble-team is the most annoying position to be in.
I would probably be bummed if I had a perennial bubble team, after having arguably the best team in hockey just 8-12 seasons ago too. I think having never tasted success, the playoffs would be a sweet reward for this city, even if it meant losing to Detroit in 5 games in the first round.

Until we had a team, I was a huge Nordique fan, and then Avalanche fan. Its hard to watch that team play and not feel empty a little bit because of the absence of guys like Ricci, Deadmarsh, Yelle, Drury, Forseberg, Kaminsky, Ozolinsh, Nolan, Simon, etc. I understand why some, actually several, Detroit posters like to ponder bringing Fedorov back now even in his waning years.

I don't think teams today have the same character they did back then, simply because player retention is down. You just don't keep many players for more than 3-4 seasons anymore.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:31 AM
belks1922

It doesn't matter where we finish as long as we're in. Our city just wants playoffs, they want the playoff hockey experience, i don't care if we get swept i just want playoff hockey, it would be great for the city

belks1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Squeak in do whatever it takes just get in. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Look at 2 years ago, Oilers barely make it in and make it all the way to game 7 of the cup finals, the year before that Calgary was like the 6th seed and made it. Bottom line just make it to the playoffs and maybe you'll face the choking Red Wings or something, it's a whole new ball game once you get into the playoffs.

02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Whoever makes the final #8 playoff spot gets to play Detroit in a best of 7 with the Wings having home ice. Somehow with the way our team plays, especially on the road, that doesn't sound like much fun. If Howson brings in a couple seasoned playoff vets however, that might change things. Still if we do make the playoffs, and I'll be the most surprised if we do, with the races so close, I hope we can leap up to 7th and at least have a chance to get by the 1st round.
It's worth making the playoffs even if you get swept in the first round. It'd be good experience for the Jackets and would only furthur their development.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Why was it even a mystery if we wanted to be 8th place or not?

I know it has already been said in this thread..but Columbus needs the playoffs to be a legit team now.

Plus sides?

We get the playoff experience, we will finally get the respect we deserve, there won't be any more talk of Columbus being the only team to never make the playoffs, and we MIGHT sellout

down sides?

It is POSSIBLE to get swept by the wings. Wait..won't we gain playoff experience, though? I really don't see a downside to making the playoffs with the 8th seed.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Skraut

The only downside is if we sell the future to make the 8th seed and get swept by the wings.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The only downside is if we sell the future to make the 8th seed and get swept by the wings.
Yeah that's the only downside to being 8th. btw did you go to the Monsters game last night? Huge crowd to see the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
CapnCornelius

The question isn't whether we want to be 8th, its whether the players do. We'll find out over the next two days.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Doctor Spin

(a) When playing their best at full strength, the Jackets can compete with the top four teams in the West.
(b)The team with the worst division record in the Central is the best team in the NHL.
(c)The CBJ plays its best hockey against the Wings.
(d)No other realistic event could increase the CBJ's reputation more than knocking this year's Wings out of the playoffs.
(e)Any playoff appearance is needed for this franchise's health.
(f)Mr. Mac needs to see this.

Six reasons are enough for me, so yeah, I wanna finish 8th. Really, maybe more than 6th or 7th. Losing ugly a first round to the Wings would hurt, but the chance of winning or really challenging them would make the probable pain more than worth it. I don't want GMSH to dash our entire future to make this happen, but I'll certainly trust his hockey sense over mine if he gets creative or if he decides the best move is none.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
cbj21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I would probably be bummed if I had a perennial bubble team, after having arguably the best team in hockey just 8-12 seasons ago too. I think having never tasted success, the playoffs would be a sweet reward for this city, even if it meant losing to Detroit in 5 games in the first round.

Until we had a team, I was a huge Nordique fan, and then Avalanche fan. Its hard to watch that team play and not feel empty a little bit because of the absence of guys like Ricci, Deadmarsh, Yelle, Drury, Forseberg, Kaminsky, Ozolinsh, Nolan, Simon, etc. I understand why some, actually several, Detroit posters like to ponder bringing Fedorov back now even in his waning years.

I don't think teams today have the same character they did back then, simply because player retention is down. You just don't keep many players for more than 3-4 seasons anymore.
ahh my first introduction to NHL was after the 94 Olympics and following Colorado win the cup. My favorite player was Forsberg playing with Valeri Kamenski and Claude Lemiux. Was fun and it got me hooked on NHL.
Hah i remember Lemiux being injured and riding a exercising bike by the rink while the game was on lol.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote