HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins: "It's amazing to think that people wanted Carey Price to be the starter"

Old
02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
HotPie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
That was indeed the most obvious message apparent from this thread.
Seriously. I'm often ashamed to be a Habs fan. Someone in this thread said it best, this sort of behaviour is most probably the recurring symptoms of fans following a terrible team for so many years, thus feeling the need to criticize at all times.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Now the question is, if Atlanta or someone sneaks in the playoffs.. and offers up a Hossa for Huet + D'Agostini deal.. do you do it?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Now the question is, if Atlanta or someone sneaks in the playoffs.. and offers up a Hossa for Huet + D'Agostini deal.. do you do it?
Chris Higgins would not. Obviously.

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
No!

You don't trade your #1 goalie going into a playoff run for a playoff Rental.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
That's exactly what I said before the season Chris, and got a lot of abuse from intelligent Habs fans for it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
No, I wanted him to crash and burn. Higgins hates him and he's my favourite player so...
Some fan you are

Where did you read Higgins hates Price?

Old
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
you missed the entire point of my post . you know , the double standard thing ? anyway i'm getting the impression that higgins' comment has hurt some feelings around here and except for a few posters who strive to be drama queens , i don't see any other explanation for it . whats the big deal ? wheres the harm ? he praised price and gave huet what he deserves.....respect . how could he be more careful or delicate ? i'm sure all three goalies understood from the beginning of the season that the number one job was huets , nothing since then has happened to change that fact , huet is our number one goalie and we're lucky to have him . gainey
I got the point of your post. Obviously you missed mine though.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Some fan you are

I read that he wanted to have Price killed... didn't you read that article?

Now go back and actually read the posts I've made in this thread.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Seriously. I'm often ashamed to be a Habs fan. Someone in this thread said it best, this sort of behaviour is most probably the recurring symptoms of fans following a terrible team for so many years, thus feeling the need to criticize at all times.

I think so. What's amusing is that people are selectively offended depending on their biases.

That's the thing on HF. You often learn a lot more about specific posters than you learn about hockey, unfortunately.

My favorite posts in the thread are those that say "Higgins is right but he shouldn't say it anyway". I guess those guys prefer when we have legion of people who don't know what they are talking about telling us how crappy Carbonneau is for not playing the overrated Carey Price every game...

God forbid someone that's actually informed tells it like it is...

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I think so. What's amusing is that people are selectively offended depending on their biases.

That's the thing on HF. You often learn a lot more about specific posters than you learn about hockey, unfortunately.

My favorite posts in the thread are those that say "Higgins is right but he shouldn't say it anyway". I guess those guys prefer when we have legion of people who don't know what they are talking about telling us how crappy Carbonneau is for not playing the overrated Carey Price every game...

God forbid someone that's actually informed tells it like it is...
The guy just needs to be a little more media savvy is all. He can back Huet in other ways without saying "I can't believe people wanted Price to be the starter..."

There's nothing wrong with telling it 'as it is' just be smarter about how you put things.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
brownman*

Quote:
The guy just needs to be a little more media savvy is all. He can back Huet in other ways without saying "I can't believe people wanted Price to be the starter..."
Has less to do with Higgins backing Huet than it does the assertion that clamoring for a 20 year-old goalie to be given the reins of a team is silly, IMHO.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:56 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
i also followed the same terrible team for many years , actually i've been a fan since 1970 so it's probably been tougher on the older guys who had to go from cheering for a team that won a cup almost every year to one that struggled every year just to make the playoffs but it never diluted my enthusiasm for the team so while what you say may be a mitigating factor i don't think it explains everything . perhaps the luxury of anonimity that the internet provides encourages some fans , and i use that term lightly , to voice their outlandish and ultra critical viewpoints using colorful , descriptive and smutty language without fear of retribution despite the best efforts of the moderators . i beleive that the fans should hold themselves to the same high standards on these boards that they expect from the players of the team that they cheer for .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Drive425

Quote:
I read that he wanted to have Price killed... didn't you read that article?

Now go back and actually read the posts I've made in this thread.
My brain hurts.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Has less to do with Higgins backing Huet than it does the assertion that clamoring for a 20 year-old goalie to be given the reins of a team is silly, IMHO.
Sure, and that's fair enough. I don't think anyone has a problem with this. He just needs to choose his words more carefully.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Silly but typical when it comes to Habs fans.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
My brain hurts.
Did you get hit by a stray bullet? Don't stand so close to Carey.

Old
02-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Did you get hit by a stray bullet? Don't stand so close to Carey.
Damn! I should'vs know that young punk was gonna get me in trouble!

Old
02-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with telling it 'as it is' just be smarter about how you put things.
It doesn't change a thing. His (correct) assessment of Ryder, Price or anyone else isn't going to offend anyone but the really obssessive types who insist on pointlessly keeping players under a microscope.

These comments are harmless and pretty much the only people who might be offended by them are the guys who still think Carey Price is somehow more valuable than a Lecavalier, Ovechkin or Crosby. Or those who insist that players should only recite clichés.

People are overreacting with this Higgins thing. You'd think he throws a shocker every game. He's spoken his mind a few times and was more often right than wrong. He's allowed to emit an opinion.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
It doesn't change a thing. His (correct) assessment of Ryder, Price or anyone else isn't going to offend anyone but the really obssessive types who insist on pointlessly keeping players under a microscope.

These comments are harmless and pretty much the only people who might be offended by them are the guys who still think Carey Price is somehow more valuable than a Lecavalier, Ovechkin or Crosby. Or those who insist that players should only recite clichés.

People are overreacting with this Higgins thing. You'd think he throws a shocker every game. He's spoken his mind a few times and was more often right than wrong. He's allowed to emit an opinion.
Sure he is. And as I said in my first post, he shouldn't be nailed to a cross for it. And its not about posters being offended either... in almost every post you make in this forum you begin by talking about how some posters are this and some posters are that... it has nothing to do with the posters or how they feel about Price.

He should choose his words better, that's all.

Old
02-02-2008, 11:34 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Some fan you are

You're right. Some people can't read... and understand.

Higgins is wearing a "A"on his jersey. He has all authority to speak up his mind. And he has done it in a very intelligent, ponderous manner.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:41 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
I got the point of your post. Obviously you missed mine though.
i didn't miss your point , it came through loud and clear "higgins has to be a little more careful when dealing with the media" meanwhile posters on this board can fearlessly say what ever they want about who ever they want when ever they want to , using the most virulent language imaginable yet higgins is the one that gets singled out on this board for one truthful comment . yes i got your point , i just don't agree with it . i'm guessing that your one of the fans that higgins was referring to . i'll ask you again ; whats the big deal ? wheres the harm ? how is his comment a detriment to the team or any individual player ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
i didn't miss your point , it came through loud and clear "higgins has to be a little more careful when dealing with the media" meanwhile posters on this board can fearlessly say what ever they want about who ever they want when ever they want to , using the most virulent language imaginable yet higgins is the one that gets singled out on this board for one truthful comment . yes i got your point , i just don't agree with it . i'm guessing that your one of the fans that higgins was referring to . i'll ask you again ; whats the big deal ? wheres the harm ? how is his comment a detriment to the team or any individual player ?
Maybe there's no harm to it, I didn't even say there was. I said its the type of statement that I'd stay away from because its not the best choice of words.

I love Higgins and he's my favourite player. Personally, I'd like the guy to be captain someday. I'm just saying that he should be a little more careful with his words and I've given the reasons for this. Anyways, that's all I'm going to say on this.

Old
02-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:

Exactly.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
Once again, Huet will NOT get anything less than 3 years, bank on that.

It's his chance for a huge payoff, and there is absolutely no way he accepts another short term deal.

Plus, if I'm Huet's agent, I'm pushing for better than Bryzgalov and a NTC
That's pushing it. You can't keep a goalie with the junior success Price had in the minors for too long. It's a waste of resources. When you only have to pay Carey a rookie contract salary, you can spend the extra couple million on another part of the team.

Two years. I'm afraid you're right about his salary though. Bryz had proven a lot less than Huet.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Habnot

Quote:

I am not offended by what Higgins thinks nor whether he is right or wrong. I just wish he would stop taking so much time being a off-ice philosopher and start focusing on why his game is regressing.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote