HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins: "It's amazing to think that people wanted Carey Price to be the starter"

Old
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Well... I can agree with what he has too say... you don't say things about fellow team mates like this... especially to the media... that is just wrong

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 03:17 AM
shameontheleafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't disagree with anything Higgins said, but it's a little bit of a flippant statement to make (re: 'amazing to think that people wanted ...'). And frankly, this isn't the first time Higgins has made such a statement.

Now, if Higgins was playing a fearless, drive-the-net, battle-it-out-in-the-corners game as he does when he's playing well (ie. toward the beginning of last season), then I have no problems with borderline cocky remarks, or statements about other players on the club. But when he's making a habit of speaking his mind and he's playing lackluster hockey that deserves criticism himself--then I think he's yapping too much and should focus on improving his own game.
Ok...so since Higgins have a so-so season, he cannot says that fans are DUMB. Funny!!

shameontheleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

With Habs fans I noticed that they feel somehow entitled to players playing good. Like it's a slap in the face to them when a player plays bad and the guy suddenly becomes "the enemy". Higgins plays badly then he's out-to-get them. And he shouldn't be saying anything, he shouldn't be doing his groceries, he shouldn't be going to the toilet until he plays great. That's like a quasi stalker-paparazzi mentality. You have guys that bleed for this team and there's like zero support or reward. Guess what you can perform badly even if you give 100% effort. And i'm pretty sure most Habs fans have a lot of off days at work, maybe even more than Habs players but nobody notice.

After that they wonder why players don't want to come here, and want to get out of Montreal. Well it's because of that "show me" mentality. We should love our players no matter what. And if there's result at the end it's a bonus.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 08:21 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't disagree with anything Higgins said, but it's a little bit of a flippant statement to make (re: 'amazing to think that people wanted ...'). And frankly, this isn't the first time Higgins has made such a statement.

Now, if Higgins was playing a fearless, drive-the-net, battle-it-out-in-the-corners game as he does when he's playing well (ie. toward the beginning of last season), then I have no problems with borderline cocky remarks, or statements about other players on the club. But when he's making a habit of speaking his mind and he's playing lackluster hockey that deserves criticism himself--then I think he's yapping too much and should focus on improving his own game.
I have no problem with anything he said, or frankly, anything he's ever said, but he's saying stuff that doesn't need to be said.

I know he doesn't seek out media to get his word out, but as his game isn't where he wants it, he should step back a bit vocally. There's a reason players talk in clichees, and Higgins should do that for awhile.

Right now, his game seems to be about being tenacious on the boards and grinding out chances. I haven't seen him moving thru the neutral zone,getting open for any stretch type of plays. I don't know why exactly, whether a Koivu being a left shooting C is involved, but higgins speed has to be more useful off the rush, or in open ice situations. When he played with Lapierre, he seemed more willing to look for quick break opportunities. I don't know if being the senior man on the line made him take on more responsibility or what the issue is, but the attributes that he showed late in his rookie season, and early last year aren't showing.

He isn't playing bad hockey, just not at the level I think he can be at.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
With Habs fans I noticed that they feel somehow entitled to players playing good. Like it's a slap in the face to them when a player plays bad and the guy suddenly becomes "the enemy". Higgins plays badly then he's out-to-get them. And he shouldn't be saying anything, he shouldn't be doing his groceries, he shouldn't be going to the toilet until he plays great. That's like a quasi stalker-paparazzi mentality. You have guys that bleed for this team and there's like zero support or reward. Guess what you can perform badly even if you give 100% effort. And i'm pretty sure most Habs fans have a lot of off days at work, maybe even more than Habs players but nobody notice.

After that they wonder why players don't want to come here, and want to get out of Montreal. Well it's because of that "show me" mentality. We should love our players no matter what. And if there's result at the end it's a bonus.
You're onto something there. There's a feeling of ownership that's weird.

The guy isn't playing great, but I hope the guy has a 10-12 year career in Mtl and you'll look back at good years and not so good when it's all said and done.

The fact that he isn't having a 40 goal pace season is no reason to jump on the guy like we're sure to do if he ends up with less than 25 goals. Critical observation's one thing, acting like your girlfriend cheated on you's quite another.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I have no problem with anything he said, or frankly, anything he's ever said, but he's saying stuff that doesn't need to be said.

I know he doesn't seek out media to get his word out, but as his game isn't where he wants it, he should step back a bit vocally. There's a reason players talk in clichees, and Higgins should do that for awhile.

Right now, his game seems to be about being tenacious on the boards and grinding out chances. I haven't seen him moving thru the neutral zone,getting open for any stretch type of plays. I don't know why exactly, whether a Koivu being a left shooting C is involved, but higgins speed has to be more useful off the rush, or in open ice situations. When he played with Lapierre, he seemed more willing to look for quick break opportunities. I don't know if being the senior man on the line made him take on more responsibility or what the issue is, but the attributes that he showed late in his rookie season, and early last year aren't showing.

I'm just intrigued by the opposite direction the careers of Komisarek and Higgins are heading. It was the majority of opinions that Higgins would be the next captain of the Habs and his career was more evolved than Komi.

At this point in time Komi has become the undisputed yo ung leader of this team. His on ice performance has reached elite levels and he has become much more comfortable in front of the media. On the other hand Higgins' game has somewhat regressed this year and he is trying too hard with the media. Some of his comments left me scratching my head.

As I said, just makes you say hummmmm...

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:16 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I'm just intrigued by the opposite direction the careers of Komisarek and Higgins are heading. It was the majority of opinions that Higgins would be the next captain of the Habs and his career was more evolved than Komi.

At this point in time Komi has become the undisputed young leader of this team. His on ice performance has reached elite levels and he has become much more comfortable in front of the media. On the other hand Higgins' game has somewhat regressed this year and he is trying too hard with the media. Some of his comments left me scratching my head.

As I said, just makes you say hummmmm...
I've told you a million times NOT to exaggerate!

Seriously, it's not fair to say that Higgins career is going in the OPPOSITE direction from Komi's (which presumably is going up). Higgins is scoring at a borderline 1st line pace in the league (90th forward right now). He may not be progressing as FAST as some would like, but I am not concerned he is going "in the wrong direction".

Everyone has bad nights, and Komi had one, big time, on Thursday in Washington.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
shredder11

I think its a good comment(praising a teammate)
Huet has been awsome for us and should stick a round a few more years.
And price will be good but is young and needs time to develop.

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The guy just needs to be a little more media savvy is all. He can back Huet in other ways without saying "I can't believe people wanted Price to be the starter..."

There's nothing wrong with telling it 'as it is' just be smarter about how you put things.
Really? 'Cause I can't believe that people wanted Price to be the starter either. I'm not saying that those who did are DUMB and NEITHER IS HIGGINS. He can't believe it... in that he is surprised. And given the performance of Huet since the day he came to this organization, I'm surprised too. I see nothing flippant or "unsavvy" in his use of words.

Price will be amazing one day (in the very near future perhaps), but we've already seen in games what the Habs brass has seen everyday: Huet is the guy that gives our team the best chance of winning - period. And potential doesn't win games, performance does. I understand everyone wanting to see Price start games, as I did at the beginning of the season, but now it's obvious for the time being that maintaining a position in the top 2 of the conference and having Price as the number 1 goalie on this team are mutually exclusive.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I completely agree. He should keep his interviews as boring as possible.
Quote:

I agree here too its just a slump. Most players go through it. He's been great for us for two years now and he's hit a rough patch. Best thing we can do is let him play through it. I certainly don't think he's regressed, people forget how good he was for us for the first half of the season. He's not even 25 yet.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Ghostki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He just had to say Huet is a great player and talk about his stellar play. ''It's amazing to think that people wanted Carey Price to be the starter" Is either a shot at Price or armchair GM's. Considering he had some good comments about Price we know it's the latter and as a professional he should not say stuff like that, even if we all know there's a lot of people with all kinds of opinions.

Your are twisting everything your way saying we're bored of him or ripping on him cuz he's in a slump.
Aren't we tho? I mean, he has everything we look for in a habs player. Character, decent talent and especially awesome work ethic, devotion and respect for one of the most storied franchises in the nhl, if not the entire sports world. What could we ask more from him? Ok, maybe a 60g 50a season, but thats unrealistic, isn't it? As long as he shows passion on the ice and works hard, which he is, things will eventually turn around for him and for us.

And as for his taking a shot at us armchair gm's, he's still allowed to say what he wants right? I don't feel offended at all by his comments. He's saying we don't know the team as well as the players and coaches do, we're not in the organisation's inner-circle and he's right. We know squat about the inner workings of the team and the relationship between players. We can only speculate on what we see. I dunno, maybe many of us were just over excited over Price and clouded our judgement a tad.

So that said, aren't we just bashing him for his slump, and because (almost) everyone else is playing great, we have no real target? I wish not, but i think so. Let's just focus back on Ryder

Ghostki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
JrHockeyFan

There is too much of a microscope in discussions like these. I mean, you could take a comment by anyone and turn it into just about anything you want to

It would have been surprising for Price to take the starters job. He is not that far from doing that, so his time will come

Huet is having a very good year. I am not sure we will see him sign back up with Montreal. I think Gainey has a dollar figure in mind. If Huet wants to stay it is up to him to decide. If he leaves we are not in bad shape in net.

I don't think Higgins said anything wrong. On the other hand there are ways to avoid some of the controversy if you choose your words carefully.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote