HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney appreciation thread

Old
02-03-2008, 12:58 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Um.

Its not the COACH's fault the players don't listen.
It is not his fault when they do not listen initially. It most certainly is his fault if they continue not to do so because then he is obviously refusing to address the problem.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:11 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Two straght playoff appearances. Going further in year 1 than year 20. In first first two seasons he's 30 games over .500.

Tough room.
Year 1 was great, but we really relied on Jagr and Ludqvist to make that season happen. Year two we barely scraped into the playoffs and I credit Sather with the Avery move and Lundqvist for that more than any change Renney brought. Year three I have my doubts we'll be in the playoffs this year with what I believe to be a better line up than the last two seasons. When you factor in the questions many of us have had about Renney's coaching decisions I do not think we are being overly tough. Tough would be pulling a Lamouriello and firing a coach even when your team was well over .500 because you FELT like something was going to go wrong. That's tough. Lams would have canned Renney a long time ago I bet.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:00 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It is not his fault when they do not listen initially. It most certainly is his fault if they continue not to do so because then he is obviously refusing to address the problem.
Agreed. Im still not sold on Renney as the right man to lead this team the next few years. He still cant get us to score, (for the most part) and still plays HBO more than he should. This is an extremely inconsistant team and inconsistant teams wont go very far. Im still anti-Renney at this point.

02-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I need to see a W today before I chime in here.
This is me chiming in:

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Good way to get his players back in and change the gameplan up for the 2nd and 3rd periods tonight..

He's getting better.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I think Renney haters have been put in their place after today.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Not really, I wouldn't go that far at all. A couple of games of good coaching does not warrant putting someone in their place. Keep winning, and yes.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
darrenturcotte#8

This is the same coach who cut Nigel Dawes after he was the best player in camp. The same coach who still can't fix a PP with some of the most talented players in the league. This is the coach who sent Nylander on the ice in game 5 vs. Buff with a little over 1 min to go only to watch his team ice the puck and be stuck with Nylander and Jagr on the ice. You appreciate Hollwig-Betts-Orr getting 1st line minutes? Are we talking about the same coach who in his first season as our coach announced he doesn't believe in match ups? Are you excited about the coach who is over-playing our young stud goaltender? Think Ryan Hollwig could have been stopped if a real coach took the time? Tom Renney could very well be the WORST coach in the NHL. This team wins despite him and we would be in 1st with a top tier coach. We have seen this team play as well as anyone in the league several times this year. We get no consistency and no production from our PP. Thats coaching folks...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:12 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
yup, 1 win surpasses everything I listed above...

Old
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Forever Blue

The big key for Renney was putting Drury with Dawes and Prucha. Drury and Dawes have been unreal together the last few games. That, and Lundqvist's return to form.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This is the same coach who cut Nigel Dawes after he was the best player in camp.
Sometimes players benefit from being in the minors, our roster was quite full, and he didn't want to give Nigel 4th line ice time. The same reason Montoya isn't on this team. Tom has been positive about Dawes' play for a long time, saying he's very close, and he is. Maybe he sticks this time.

Quote:
The same coach who still can't fix a PP with some of the most talented players in the league.
Pearn runs the powerplay, this is a Renney appreciation thread, the coaching staff as a whole, may still be open to criticism in specialty teams..

Quote:
This is the coach who sent Nylander on the ice in game 5 vs. Buff with a little over 1 min to go only to watch his team ice the puck and be stuck with Nylander and Jagr on the ice. You appreciate Hollwig-Betts-Orr getting 1st line minutes?
Our top line was out there towards the end of todays game, and they wound up getting an insurance goal. are you complaining about that too? How can you in the same sentence criticize Tom for playing his top players, and then say HBO is getting too much ice time? Which btw, they never got "1st line minutes".

Quote:
Are we talking about the same coach who in his first season as our coach announced he doesn't believe in match ups? Are you excited about the coach who is over-playing our young stud goaltender?
The matchup thing is debatable, if he was in favor of it, people would probably be calling him spineless for letting a superior coach control his bench. as for "overplaying" Lundqvist, Tom just said today he's anticipating 15-18 stars for Valliquette, that seems very generous for a backup who prior to this season was a career minor league.

Quote:
Think Ryan Hollwig could have been stopped if a real coach took the time? Tom Renney could very well be the WORST coach in the NHL. This team wins despite him and we would be in 1st with a top tier coach. We have seen this team play as well as anyone in the league several times this year. We get no consistency and no production from our PP. Thats coaching folks...
I don't quite know what to say to this, but in closing, is Tom an amazing coach? Most often no, but if there was anybody out there who could do a better job, they'd be here. You think there's some championship caliber NHL coach just sitting at home right now who 30 teams have passed over?

Quote:
yup, 1 win surpasses everything I listed above...
It's not just 1 win now, it's 3 VERY impressive ROAD wins in a ROW in a 4 day span. 1 of them a blowout/shutout, 1 of them a defensive clinic, and the last an amazing comeback which showed tremendous character.

Old
02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
It's not just 1 win now, it's 3 VERY impressive ROAD wins in a ROW in a 4 day span. 1 of them a blowout/shutout, 1 of them a defensive clinic, and the last an amazing comeback which showed tremendous character.
Not just 1... 3! Better reserve our Stanley Cup finals tix now.

Now, seriously. Yes, Renney deserves some credit, particularly the way he actually responded a little to Komisarek shadowing Jagr tonight.

Here is the thing though, Renney deserves some credit for the current run we're on... but he also shares responsibility for the crappy first half of the year. Why couldn't he light a fire under the team two months ago?

And it is premature to say after a short good streak that we are going to just maintain this and make the playoffs. Right now there really has to be more marks against Renney than for him on the season.

Old
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Absolutely, I wasn't defending him like this when we were a .500 team in December and below .500 in January. I've said if things got worse, his job would be in serious jeopardy, but I did not condone the knee jerk reaction firing petition that was going around. He's still got a lot of work to do, and that's before the playoffs even begin, but until then, there's lots of hockey to play, and he's looking a lot sharper in getting this team to play good hockey.

Old
02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Unk

I criticize Renney a lot, and have wanted him fired before. But this is only his 4th full season coaching in the NHL, and I'm wondering if some of its just inexperience. I'm not saying he's a great coach but maybe he's not as bad as it would seem. But I don't know how steep the learning curve for an NHL coach is.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Not at all. In fact, I'm still pissed at him.

His stupid ****ing mid-season slump happens EVERY YEAR with him now.

This is the 3rd ****ing year.

It has to stop.

No excuses for 3 years in a row of having to motivate the team at crunch time. A joke.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not at all. In fact, I'm still pissed at him.

His stupid ****ing mid-season slump happens EVERY YEAR with him now.

This is the 3rd ****ing year.

It has to stop.

No excuses for 3 years in a row of having to motivate the team at crunch time. A joke.
Eh in hindsight it's no big deal.. maybe if we just missed the playoffs at all it'd be a different story, but it makes things exciting, albeit stressful on us fans. But let's face it, this team is not Detroit, and every postseason berth is going to be a struggle. Hopefully that changes soon as our farm graduates, but I think Renney is capable of manning this ship for many years.

Old
02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Eh in hindsight it's no big deal.. maybe if we just missed the playoffs at all it'd be a different story, but it makes things exciting, albeit stressful on us fans. But let's face it, this team is not Detroit, and every postseason berth is going to be a struggle. Hopefully that changes soon as our farm graduates, but I think Renney is capable of manning this ship for many years.
It actually is a big deal. No idea how you could say that.

Either we are 1st in the division or 4th. We don't go through that slump, we are likely having a comfortable lead in the Atlantic.

No idea how you can say it's no big deal.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:

Either we are 1st in the division or 4th. We don't go through that slump, we are likely having a comfortable lead in the Atlantic.

Because we were overachievers, specifically in 05-06. I'm thankful we made the playoffs at all. Now a days all teams go through slumps, it's almost unavoidable unless your Detroit. I don't quite know how much higher expectations you can set for this team..

Old
02-03-2008, 07:07 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

Our top line was out there towards the end of todays game, and they wound up getting an insurance goal. are you complaining about that too?

YES!!!! IT MEANS HE HASN'T LEARNED A THING AND WILL MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN AND AGAIN.

It should be Drury or Betts under 2 min to go up by 1... PERIOD!!!

By the way, Gomez is solid on draws, much better in his own zone then Nylander and Straka was a center so he could win one if Gomez gets kicked out of the circle. A far cry from Nylander in a playoff game.

Old
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
YES!!!! IT MEANS HE HASN'T LEARNED A THING AND WILL MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN AND AGAIN.

It should be Drury or Betts under 2 min to go up by 1... PERIOD!!!

By the way, Gomez is solid on draws, much better in his own zone then Nylander and Straka was a center so he could win one if Gomez gets kicked out of the circle. A far cry from Nylander in a playoff game.
Drury and Betts are only 2 men, and can only be out there so much in the last ~5 minutes of a game holding a 1 goal lead. you're acting like the rest of this team is incompetent defensively. If he assembled a line of Prucha-Avery-Orr in the final minute of a game, I'd agree, but Straka-Gomez-Jagr out late in a game is nothing to complain about.

Old
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Dude the whole conference is tight, so should the other 14 coaches in the east be fired too? Seriously, people need to step off Renney and on the guys who go on the ice and perform. The Renney thing is really starting to get stupid and quite annoying.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Dude the whole conference is tight, so should the other 14 coaches in the east be fired too? Seriously, people need to step off Renney and on the guys who go on the ice and perform. The Renney thing is really starting to get stupid and quite annoying.
So when we go through game after game where the team can only score 1 goal, we should blame each player for not scoring? And Renney should not be blamed?

There are times you blame certain players, and there are times when a system is not working within the team and you blame the guy in charge of that.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
So when we go through game after game where the team can only score 1 goal, we should blame each player for not scoring? And Renney should not be blamed?

There are times you blame certain players, and there are times when a system is not working within the team and you blame the guy in charge of that.
So you put no weight in the fact that the team had to gel with new players coming in like Gomez, Drury, and Dubinsky? No weight that Jagr seems to be getting up in age and isn't dominating like he was for the last two years? Nothing to do with Hank having a yearly mid season slump? Nothing to do with Shanny getting a year older and slower? Malik losing his poise within the team? There are a lot of things wayy more prominant that went wrong with the team than the coaching. Open your eyes.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
So you put no weight in the fact that the team had to gel with new players coming in like Gomez, Drury, and Dubinsky? No weight that Jagr seems to be getting up in age and isn't dominating like he was for the last two years? Nothing to do with Hank having a yearly mid season slump? Nothing to do with Shanny getting a year older and slower? Malik losing his poise within the team? There are a lot of things wayy more prominant that went wrong with the team than the coaching. Open your eyes.
Hehe, the coach is responsible for dealing with all these things. Yes, Renney is the man who at the end of the day needs to find a way to get the players to gel as quickly as possible... didn't happen. I think it is questionable whether Jagr's being a year older has made more of a difference than Renney's change in the system and not giving Jagr the same freedom as before. Hank's mid season slump, how much of this is a product of him having to be phenomenal in order to give a team with no offense a chance to win every night. That wears on a goalie. Shanny being a year older and slower... well he is leading our team in goals right now, so not sure that is a real problem. Anyway, I think these problems are all interrelated and coaching connects them all.

Old
02-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
See, I kinda blame Sather. Aside from Hank's slump and Malik's thing, the other parts are Sather's fault for not putting this team together very well.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote