HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has anyone ever road-tripped it to the NHL Draft?

Old
02-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Has anyone ever road-tripped it to the NHL Draft?

well, maybe not road tripping, but flying is fine too. anyways, has anyone got to an NHL draft before? is it worthwhile? boring? interesting?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, maybe not road tripping, but flying is fine too. anyways, has anyone got to an NHL draft before? is it worthwhile? boring? interesting?
They should just have it at MSG like the NBA draft.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

naw, i like the idea of rotating it around the league. its smart, and another way to promote the sport.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Draft Guru

Never been to one but it's a goal of mine. I believe this year's is in Ottawa. The next one that is semi-close to NY, I'll be there (PHI, NJ, NYI, WAS, BOS, etc)

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:14 AM
rickyrod

If they held it in my living room I'd probably still only check in to see who the top few picks and whenever the Rangers were on the clock.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:16 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
naw, i like the idea of rotating it around the league. its smart, and another way to promote the sport.
Nah, they should have it in MSG

Anyway, no, I've never been to one. If someone has I'd like to know what it's like since like a previous post said, coming soon to the NY area.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:19 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I was at last year's draft in Columbus and it was one of the most enjoyable weekends I've had in quite a while.

I took the bus out to Columbus because it was only about $100 roundtrip.

The draft itself was fun and it was outstanding when we got Cherepanov, but the afternoon before the draft on Friday night was what I will remember the most.

It was myself, my friends and a bunch of other hockey fans hanging around the hotels where everyone was staying. Whenever someone came out, we would run back and forth to get autographs and stuff like that. And every player could not have been nicer. I met Craig MacTavish, Alex Tanguay, Joe Mullen, Brad Shaw, Keith Jones and also a few of the draftees (Kyle Turris, Angelo Esposito, Kevin Shattenkirk among others).

The tickets were free and they had a great card/memorabilia show before the draft plus they had all the trophys on display and it was just cool getting to talk with fans from all over the league - I honestly spotted all 30 jerseys over the course of the weekend. I would highly recommend it.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:22 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I was at last year's draft in Columbus and it was one of the most enjoyable weekends I've had in quite a while.

I took the bus out to Columbus because it was only about $100 roundtrip.

The draft itself was fun and it was outstanding when we got Cherepanov, but the afternoon before the draft on Friday night was what I will remember the most.

It was myself, my friends and a bunch of other hockey fans hanging around the hotels where everyone was staying. Whenever someone came out, we would run back and forth to get autographs and stuff like that. And every player could not have been nicer. I met Craig MacTavish, Alex Tanguay, Joe Mullen, Brad Shaw, Keith Jones and also a few of the draftees (Kyle Turris, Angelo Esposito, Kevin Shattenkirk among others).

The tickets were free and they had a great card/memorabilia show before the draft plus they had all the trophys on display and it was just cool getting to talk with fans from all over the league - I honestly spotted all 30 jerseys over the course of the weekend. I would highly recommend it.
Is this usually the case or did you get hooked up?

Old
02-02-2008, 05:28 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
Is this usually the case or did you get hooked up?
Last year the Blue Jackets posted on their website in February that if you put your name on a list, they would send you tickets by some time in May for free. When I wound up getting the tickets in May, I did have to pay a 75 cent surcharge for using Ticketfast since you could only pick up tickets at the box office if you lived near Columbus. But it was still a pretty good deal.

I had never attended a draft before so I'm not sure if it usually works that way, but the tickets were free to everyone. It was just a matter of getting to the arena early enough so you didn't get shut out from a seat.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:16 AM
SML

Ive been three times. Buffalo, Toronto, and Carolina. Hockey's really got to be your thing. It is for me. In Toronto I was sitting one seat in front of John Paddock while he explained how Glen Sather screwed him. In Buffalo I was sitting in with players as they were being selected. (We weren't supposed to be in that section) And the kicker, In Carolina, I was sitting right behind Alex Ovechkin on a supposedly players/family only bus as he sat with his parents talking about the draft on the way to the arena while his brother videotaped it. I know that whenever he watches that tape, He's going to see me and my brother right over his shoulder. The key is to not act like a fan. Don't wear a jersey and hat of your favorite team. Don't ask for autographs. Just play it cool and you'll see and hear things you have no business seeing or hearing. Funny thing is, you can follow it more closely from in front of your computer. But it's worth the experience, and you'll probably see me walking around Ottawa this summer.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:16 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Last year the Blue Jackets posted on their website in February that if you put your name on a list, they would send you tickets by some time in May for free. When I wound up getting the tickets in May, I did have to pay a 75 cent surcharge for using Ticketfast since you could only pick up tickets at the box office if you lived near Columbus. But it was still a pretty good deal.

I had never attended a draft before so I'm not sure if it usually works that way, but the tickets were free to everyone. It was just a matter of getting to the arena early enough so you didn't get shut out from a seat.
Sweet, thanks for the info.

Old
02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

When the draft was in my hometown, I went. I was pretty excited to attend.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

Incredibly boring! No reason to attend this event in person. TV works just fine.

I really couldn't see traveling to a draft. If ever in my hometown again, I would pass.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote