HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HOH Top 100- First Round of Voting

Old
02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Whoanow ... one huge, time-consuming e-project at a time folks.

My list is stalled out around 50, staring down a mound of 30 players who all look the same to me. I'll make another big push this weekend.
Pretty much in the same boat. This weekend will be my time to get this project completed.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
seventieslord

I'll do it this weekend too. There is no way I'm missing this.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
pappyline

My list is ready. Who do I send it to & how?

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:03 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
My list is ready. Who do I send it to & how?
The email address is in the 1st post.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
pappyline

Quote:
The email address is in the 1st post.
Thanks. I somehow missed it.

Old
02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
amnesiac*

can you confirm who's lists youve received so far?

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:34 AM
FissionFire

List received to date: (Listed alphabetically)
amnesiac
DaveG
EagleBelfour
God Bless Canada
Hockey Outsider
Kyle McMahon
pappyline
pnep
Pwnasaurus
reckoning
seventieslord
Thornton_19
vivianmb

Total: 13 lists

So far none of the lists have gone through the approval process as some/all of the oversight committee has not yet submitted a list. Needless to say, based on initial interest and posts of people intending to participate I'm expect far replies. As such, we'll extend the deadline to submit the lists to this Friday and see where that leaves up. Anyone who has already submitted a list but wants to work on it further or edit it, just resumbit an updated list and I'll replace the old one.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Wings4Life

List has been submitted.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
List received to date: (Listed alphabetically)
amnesiac
DaveG
EagleBelfour
God Bless Canada
Hockey Outsider
Kyle McMahon
pappyline
pnep
Pwnasaurus
reckoning
seventieslord
Thornton_19
vivianmb

Total: 13 lists

So far none of the lists have gone through the approval process as some/all of the oversight committee has not yet submitted a list. Needless to say, based on initial interest and posts of people intending to participate I'm expect far replies. As such, we'll extend the deadline to submit the lists to this Friday and see where that leaves up. Anyone who has already submitted a list but wants to work on it further or edit it, just resumbit an updated list and I'll replace the old one.
Already did

I totally forgot to add Oates to the list. I keep looking through the list and wondering if I am forgetting anyone else.

The list is missing some people I was sure would be participating. Ogopogo for one.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:08 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
I totally forgot to add someone.
I started with a list of the top 300 picks from ATD8 and have been cutting people / re-arranging to get it down to 120. That way, you don't accidentally leave somebody off.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
I started with a list of the top 300 picks from ATD8 and have been cutting people / re-arranging to get it down to 120. That way, you don't accidentally leave somebody off.
Care to share this 300 list(This is SPARTA!!!!)? I wouldn't mind re-cross checking my list.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Care to share this 300 list(This is SPARTA!!!!)? I wouldn't mind re-cross checking my list.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=438493

The only problem I'm having is trying seperate, "greatest achievements" with "the order I would draft them to build a team"

I see some serious position / player type bias built into my list ... it's there, but I'm done screwing with it, so I'm sending it now.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
pappyline

Quote:
Good idea. I will use that to cross check my list. I also left Oates off so will be submitting a revised list. Wonder how many others I have missed. Your approach should tell me.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Dark Shadows

Oh MY God. I forgot Cam Neely! One of my favorite players ever.

Then again, for all his greatness, I can't honestly put him on the top 100. He might crack the 120, but not the 100............

Old
02-11-2008, 09:58 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:

Then again, for all his greatness, I can't honestly put him on the top 100. He might crack the 120, but not the 100............
You're welcome.

Old
02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:

Yeah, I had forgot Rick Martin and Ziggy Palffy due to their short lived career.

Old
02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Yeah, I had forgot Rick Martin and Ziggy Palffy due to their short lived career.
Rick Martin and especially Ziggy Palffy are simply not good enough to be included on a credible list.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Rick Martin and especially Ziggy Palffy are simply not good enough to be included on a credible list.
Well why should Neely then?

Neely 0.96 PPG, 0.54 GPG (726 GP) played his whole career in the highest scoring era ever

Palffy 1.04 PPG, 0.48 GPG (684 GP) played career in a medium/low scoring era

Granted Neely had better playoff experience and numbers but neither had won a Cup or any hardware. Cant blame Palffy for being on a crappy team his whole career.

Im not saying he cracks my top 100, but if so many people think Neely was so great then Palffy wasnt far behind considering their short-lived careers.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
pitseleh

I've been going over mine a little too painstakingly. I'll try to submit today (if I can stop nitpicking).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:

Neely 0.96 PPG, 0.54 GPG (726 GP) played his whole career in the highest scoring era ever

Granted Neely had better playoff experience and numbers but neither had won a Cup or any hardware. Cant blame Palffy for being on a crappy team his whole career.

Im not saying he cracks my top 100, but if so many people think Neely was so great then Palffy wasnt far behind considering their short-lived careers.
Which is why I said Neely was my favorite player, but not in my top 100, and that I was just not going to bother.

But the Palffy vs Neely comparison is bad. Neely was a top goalscorer and freak of nature physical presence who could put up 50 goals in 44 games on one leg.
Palffy was great, but Compared to Neely? Not a chance

Old
02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Which is why I said Neely was my favorite player, but not in my top 100, and that I was just not going to bother.

But the Palffy vs Neely comparison is bad. Neely was a top goalscorer and freak of nature physical presence who could put up 50 goals in 44 games on one leg.
Palffy was great, but Compared to Neely? Not a chance
I agree based on physical presence and playoff experience, but if you compare the scoring eras Palffy is much better PPG-wise, and they would be pretty close GPG-wise. Again, we cant blame a player for not having great playoff numbers when his teams never gave him the opportunity. Its difficult for certain players today in the 30 team NHL to show their playoff clutchness as theres less opportunity (much more parity) than when there were 20 teams (?) before 1991.

Palffy never really had a great center either, whereas Neely had Oates for a couple years. Im just saying Palffy gets over-looked for reasons that arent his fault.

Same reasoning goes for today's best such as: Iginla, Thornton, and Alfredsson for exmaple. In my book, these 3 guys crack the top 100 all-time, regardless of their lack of Cups won. Put Lafleur and Bossy in a 30 team league with today's parity and they wouldnt have 4 Cups each and hence probably not be seeing as top 10-15 all-time.

Last edited by amnesiac*: 02-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Snap Wilson

I'd love to see the guidelines for what constitutes a "credible list."

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
MXD

Ouch, completely forgot that deadline...
If it's not too late, I'd like to submit my list, but I probably won't get it done before wednesday, feb. 13, PM.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:

If all you've got is numbers then you shouldn't be part of this. Why don't you give us reasons, based on the style of play, and how they played the game, on why Palffy is better than Neely, instead of blowing statistical smoke up my ass.

Palffy is nowhere near the HOCKEY PLAYER that Cam Neely was. Period. Palffy had good offensive numbers. But as far as being a hockey player, he's way below Neely. Neely was a better goal scorer, a more physical player, a better hitter, a better fighter, a better player along the boards, a better defensive player, and, most importantly, a much better playoff player, than Palffy. Palffy never had a playoff remotely close to Neely's in 1991. In fact, Neely's playoffs in 1990 and 1988 were far better than anything Palffy ever had.

Keep in mind, when spewing your career point per game stats, that Neely started in the league when he was 18. Not an age when most players are putting up big totals, especially power forwards, who often take a little longer to develop their offensive game. Palffy's first game was at 21, and he didn't become an NHL regular until just before his 23rd birthday. Shortly before his 23rd birthday, Neely had just finished his first second all-star team season, and he had just carried Boston to a second-round playoff upset over heavily favoured Montreal - the Bruins' first post-season series win over the Habs since 1948.

Neely wasn't in my top 100, but he's close. Palffy shouldn't be in anyone's top 300.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
If all you've got is numbers then you shouldn't be part of this. Why don't you give us reasons, based on the style of play, and how they played the game, on why Palffy is better than Neely, instead of blowing statistical smoke up my ass.

Palffy is nowhere near the HOCKEY PLAYER that Cam Neely was. Period. Palffy had good offensive numbers. But as far as being a hockey player, he's way below Neely. Neely was a better goal scorer, a more physical player, a better hitter, a better fighter, a better player along the boards, a better defensive player, and, most importantly, a much better playoff player, than Palffy. Palffy never had a playoff remotely close to Neely's in 1991. In fact, Neely's playoffs in 1990 and 1988 were far better than anything Palffy ever had.

Keep in mind, when spewing your career point per game stats, that Neely started in the league when he was 18. Not an age when most players are putting up big totals, especially power forwards, who often take a little longer to develop their offensive game. Palffy's first game was at 21, and he didn't become an NHL regular until just before his 23rd birthday. Shortly before his 23rd birthday, Neely had just finished his first second all-star team season, and he had just carried Boston to a second-round playoff upset over heavily favoured Montreal - the Bruins' first post-season series win over the Habs since 1948.

Neely wasn't in my top 100, but he's close. Palffy shouldn't be in anyone's top 300.
The thing with Neely is that the earliest part of his career is often overlooked when we analyse his career as a whole. He was a dominant player... But not for very long, from 88-89 to the end of his career (roughly) .. Before this he was an efficient player laying hits, working hard, and getting his share of goals, but no more, no less (though, he was young and he had a normal developpement curve for a PF). Neely would have made my Top-100 with a few more seasons from him prime. We all know what derailed his career, but if we would work on hypothesis, well, Dickie Moore would be a shoo-in Top-50.

Neely's seasons from age 18 to age 23 shouldn't get plus-value for the sole reason that he was young.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote