HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game Takes: Habs Beat Down Isles 4-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2008, 04:37 PM
  #51
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,585
vCash: 500
You know, I've never worn goggles before... it feels pretty good. Is it just me or does it seem like the Habs will never lose another game? Every single match is just incredible with these guys. Never expected them to be this good this year. Kudos to Gainey and Carbo.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
  #52
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Awesome game...

Tomorrow, it's a no brainer, Streit back on defense and Brisebois back in the press box. Dandenault vs Begin??? Kotso has to play.
+1


WHY, WHY put that cough-up coward in this lineup. Go away breeze-by, if you ever cared for this team prove it and go away.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
  #53
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Guys, on the Sens board (please dont troll) they are getting quite scared about the habs overtaking them.

who would have thought at the beginning of the year?
the McGuire comments, Hugson comments and now this...

damn! feels good to be a Habs fan nowadays!!!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
  #54
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,455
vCash: 500
Any word who will start in net tomorrow? As long as Brisebois is in the pressbox i'll be happy.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
  #55
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,777
vCash: 500
GOtta love the front page of TSN.CA right now..

"Moving Up" about our habs.

http://tsn.ca/

Now 3rd best in the NHL.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:59 PM
  #56
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
The crowd's reaction to that was awesome. You hear all the time about how the "ooooohs" and "aaaahs" of the Forum were spine-tingling. It sure sounded like that tonight... The crowd was absolutely floored by that pass, and Higgins was probably overwhelmed too, and couldn't get his senses right.
Actually, this wasn't all Higgins' fault. I mean the pass was perfect, but Dipietro got lucky with his stick to deflect the puck. But still, Higgins screwed a perfect play by Koivu, alike Lats and Ryder..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Guys, on the Sens board (please dont troll) they are getting quite scared about the habs overtaking them.

who would have thought at the beginning of the year?
Well they have had their fair lot of injuries, so if we take the division lead it would be nice. However, if we don't well too bad. I just want to beat the Sens 5 times and win the serie.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:01 PM
  #57
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,265
vCash: 50
Ryder was pretty decent, except when he hurt Markov and poor clearing attempt.
The third line wasn't as awesome as last game but inconsistency is normal for a line with an combined average age of about 21.

Brisebois was brutal.

Gorges is going to score a goal soon. It's a matter of time.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
  #58
Cristobal Huet
Registered User
 
Cristobal Huet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Brisebois wasn't brutal, he was abysmal, all because of him Huet didn't get a shutout.

Ryder worked hard and I liked it when he went after Comeau.
Saks had a good game as well and Kovy's line was on fire.
The defence was very good.

In shot, we dominated them to a point where I'd be embarassed to be an Isles fan.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
  #59
Prrebel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
I really like the fact that lately the Habs have not been sitting on leads. It's hard for the other team to score if the puck is always in their end.
Another great game by the Habs..... fun to watch.

Prrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
  #60
habster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
I was at the game, great crowd. I don't know what Comrie said to Komi but #8 had him lined up all game. Great game overall except for Brisebois, the crowd notice when he was on the ice, but not in a good way. Just plain brutal

habster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
  #61
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habster View Post
I was at the game, great crowd. I don't know what Comrie said to Komi but #8 had him lined up all game. Great game overall except for Brisebois, the crowd notice when he was on the ice, but not in a good way. Just plain brutal
I don't like this player, buy give him a ****ing break. He is not playing since over one month !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:27 PM
  #62
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
id really like to see gainey get a defenseman so brisebois can be dressed never
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo Gonzales View Post
Instead of the obvious ones, I have to praise Josh Gorges' performance tonight. He was so solid in his own zone and also made some nice plays on the blue line keeping the puck in. Plus he almost scored on a slapper. Way to go Josh!
+1. I'm so pulling for this kid to get a goal at some point. Almost had one today. Man, for a not-real-big guy, he can (and does) hit!

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
  #63
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
After the Ovechkin show the other night, I submitted a post questioning Markov's ability to give 100% effort each and every night. My post centred around how to consistently motivate Andrei to be a true #1 defensemen night in and night out.

Some took the post to say that I felt Markov was not a good player and that he should be traded. I never said such a thing. I only questioned his lack of "heart" at times and a missing sense of loyalty to Montreal (referring to his comments about the city during the speculation that Ovechkin might no be re-signed and the Habs were possibly looking to acquire him).

Well ........ Markov regained a lot of respect from me with his performance tonight. After taking that puck in the mouth late in the 3rd, I wondered if he would come back out for the rest of the game. Lets be honest here - a few years ago I don't think Markov would have come back out with a 2 goal lead with 3 minutes left to go.

But this afternoon, he doesn't miss a shift, makes a great feed on the Dandeneault goal and can be seen SMILING, CHEERING AND CONGRATULATING HIS TEAMMATES after they have salted away the game. It is funny to watch how some pro athletes handle adversity.

I'm liking the way Markov handled it tonight. He played great.

Kudos to Koivu as well. One of his best games this year in my opinion. Too bad Higgins and Ryder weren't up to par tonight because they could have probably scored 3 goals as a line with the effort from Koivu.

Huet solid again, and seemingly gaining more confidence (how about that "skate" out to the blue line - maybe his new shootout strategy?)

I was born a Habs fan and have been a loyal steadfast supporter for over thirty years now. The 2007/08 Habs are fast becoming one of the most exciting and entertaining teams I can remember watching.

Thank you Andre Savard, Trevor Timmins, Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau. The ship has been put back on course, and we definitely are full steam ahead.

I have a feeling this will be one of the most "MEMORABLE" Habs teams I have grown up wathcing!

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
  #64
JackieChan
Registered User
 
JackieChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 500
I watched only small parts of the game since I have to study for an exam I have on Monday, but every second I watched was just pure confidence display by the Habs...

All there's left to say is: I beliEEEHHHHHVE!

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:39 PM
  #65
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 50
I wonder if Higgins is going to have a gem of a quote for us tonight? Maybe something along the lines of "If we could get Saku some linemates with any finish whatsoever, we'd be blowing teams out".

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:46 PM
  #66
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Kovalev and Plekanec could be a first line if it was Brisebois on their wing. Awesome duo.

I'd like to see Higgins with Kovy and Pleks next year, and work Kostitsyn with his brother around Koivu. Don't break up the chemistry for this year, but next year the Kostitsyns could wake up Saku.
Credit has to be given to Kosty Sr too, who takes the play of any linemate he's with to another level IMO. Overall, the whole line is pure talent, a pure beauty to watch during the game.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
  #67
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
I think the criticism of Brisebois is a little exaggerated. Bad turnover definitely, but I'm still fine with having him as a veteran insurance policy.

I like the way Dandenault responded. He played an honest game. Like against Boston, he elevated his game in the 3rd period. For the other team, it's a backbreaker to be scored on by the 4th line. I'm not sure how deliberate a strategy it is of Carbonneau, but I seem to remember Dallas being like that. After surviving Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull and the rest, the game suddenly gets put out of reach by a hustling Skrudland, Keane, or Carbonneau himself.

Smolinski has played well recently. He looks like the player he was supposed to be when he signed this summer. The team depth is impressive. If the team called up Chipchura, it could put him with Begin and Kostopolous and roll 5 bona fide NHL lines.

Anyway, I very much like SKostitsyn's game. I didn't have a good read on him at all as a prospect. While his offensive talent is evident, right now I think his biggest strength is his play without the puck. I don't think he'll ever be a scorer like his brother, but his two-way game could be extremely valuable. He's already as good overall in that role as Bulis, Perezhogin, or Johnson were.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
  #68
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think the criticism of Brisebois is a little exaggerated. Bad turnover definitely, but I'm still fine with having him as a veteran insurance policy.

I like the way Dandenault responded. He played an honest game. Like against Boston, he elevated his game in the 3rd period. For the other team, it's a backbreaker to be scored on by the 4th line. I'm not sure how deliberate a strategy it is of Carbonneau, but I seem to remember Dallas being like that. After surviving Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull and the rest, the game suddenly gets put out of reach by a hustling Skrudland, Keane, or Carbonneau himself.

Smolinski has played well recently. He looks like the player he was supposed to be when he signed this summer. The team depth is impressive. If the team called up Chipchura, it could put him with Begin and Kostopolous and roll 5 bona fide NHL lines.

Anyway, I very much like SKostitsyn's game. I didn't have a good read on him at all as a prospect. While his offensive talent is evident, right now I think his biggest strength is his play without the puck. I don't think he'll ever be a scorer like his brother, but his two-way game could be extremely valuable. He's already as good overall in that role as Bulis, Perezhogin, or Johnson were.
Good analysis.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
  #69
LesHabs66
Registered User
 
LesHabs66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Great game. DiPietro kept it from being a 7-1 game. Not a bad effort from anyone aside from the Breezer gaff that led to the lone Isles goal. I did see him actually check someone into the boards with some authority though...Kovalev has been reborn. Pleks needs to be signed longterm...same for the K Brothers.

Cheering for the Leafs right now and it makes my stomach hurt but being 3 back of the Sens makes it worth it. Alright, Don Cherry...I am cheering for your beloved Leafs tonight...now you something nice about those "soft European players" Kovalev, Pleks, Markov, & the Kostitsyn Brothers on Coach's Corner...nah, that'll never happen!

No letdown vs the Rangers tomorrow!

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:27 PM
  #70
habster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I don't like this player, buy give him a ****ing break. He is not playing since over one month !
There's a reason why he didn't play for a month, today was a reminder why

habster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:54 PM
  #71
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
After the Ovechkin show the other night, I submitted a post questioning Markov's ability to give 100% effort each and every night. My post centred around how to consistently motivate Andrei to be a true #1 defensemen night in and night out.

Some took the post to say that I felt Markov was not a good player and that he should be traded. I never said such a thing. I only questioned his lack of "heart" at times and a missing sense of loyalty to Montreal (referring to his comments about the city during the speculation that Ovechkin might no be re-signed and the Habs were possibly looking to acquire him).

Well ........ Markov regained a lot of respect from me with his performance tonight. After taking that puck in the mouth late in the 3rd, I wondered if he would come back out for the rest of the game. Lets be honest here - a few years ago I don't think Markov would have come back out with a 2 goal lead with 3 minutes left to go.

But this afternoon, he doesn't miss a shift, makes a great feed on the Dandeneault goal and can be seen SMILING, CHEERING AND CONGRATULATING HIS TEAMMATES after they have salted away the game. It is funny to watch how some pro athletes handle adversity.

I'm liking the way Markov handled it tonight. He played great.
I didn't read your post questioning Markov's heart and motivation, and im very glad i didnt.

Markos has been our most consistent player since the lockout. He plays hard and well every game. Bad games happen, but to question his heart or motivation is simply foolish.

The fact you say you ''regained'' your respect for him because he came back from the puck he received is ridiculous. The puck wasn't coming fast, it was a messed up backhander that didn't even cut Markov. A few years ago he wouldn't have come back from it???
Most highsticks do more damage than this little puck to the face, i dont know what you're talking about.

As for Markov celebrating like he did, he ALWAYS does it, so once again i dont know what you're talking about.

Markov has been great for a very long time, not because you dont like his facial expressions or lack of facial emotions that he doesnt have heart.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
  #72
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think the criticism of Brisebois is a little exaggerated. Bad turnover definitely, but I'm still fine with having him as a veteran insurance policy.

I like the way Dandenault responded. He played an honest game. Like against Boston, he elevated his game in the 3rd period. For the other team, it's a backbreaker to be scored on by the 4th line. I'm not sure how deliberate a strategy it is of Carbonneau, but I seem to remember Dallas being like that. After surviving Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull and the rest, the game suddenly gets put out of reach by a hustling Skrudland, Keane, or Carbonneau himself.

Smolinski has played well recently. He looks like the player he was supposed to be when he signed this summer. The team depth is impressive. If the team called up Chipchura, it could put him with Begin and Kostopolous and roll 5 bona fide NHL lines.

Anyway, I very much like SKostitsyn's game. I didn't have a good read on him at all as a prospect. While his offensive talent is evident, right now I think his biggest strength is his play without the puck. I don't think he'll ever be a scorer like his brother, but his two-way game could be extremely valuable. He's already as good overall in that role as Bulis, Perezhogin, or Johnson were.
Agree on every point. I think the criticism of Brisebois' just piling on. He tried a play it didn't work.

Smolinski's really moving the puck well since his return.



I don't know if it's been mentionned but Ryder and Higgins drew 4 penalties between them, that's a good sign.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
  #73
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Agree on every point. I think the criticism of Brisebois' just piling on. He tried a play it didn't work.

Smolinski's really moving the puck well since his return.



I don't know if it's been mentionned but Ryder and Higgins drew 4 penalties between them, that's a good sign.
Ryder can't buy a goal , but was more dangerous . Higgins played a better game too , and Koivu was very good . One of his top games so far this season .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
  #74
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Kudos to Koivu as well. One of his best games this year in my opinion. Too bad Higgins and Ryder weren't up to par tonight because they could have probably scored 3 goals as a line with the effort from Koivu.
It seems you watched an interesting hockey game today. I didn't know Saku played in two games, though.

Anyway, in the other game, the one I saw, Higgins was a monster. He forced the Isles into AT LEAST two penalties with relentless forechecking and inspired cycling. Ryder was excellent support for him.

Unfortunately, Koivu almost made a great play to get Higgins a goal late in the game but his hard pass was in Higgins' skates instead of on his stick, and by the time Higgs could get the puck to a shooting position, diPietro had the time to come over and deflect the shot.

You really should have seen this game, it was great!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
  #75
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Ryder can't buy a goal , but was more dangerous . Higgins played a better game too , and Koivu was very good . One of his top games so far this season .
I thought Koivu was excellent the 1st 25 games or so, but has lacked any life in his legs the last 25. It seems to be coming back lately, which can only be good.

With all the trade proposals, I wonder if the subtraction of players on the roster right now can hurt more than help. Sure, I'd like Forsberg or Sundin or Tanguay they're good players, but you have a balanced improving team right now. A big change could disrupt that.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.