HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big mistake?

Old
02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
holdem

vCash: 500
Big mistake?

Was it a big mistake to trade Shelley. Wonder if we stayed pat if we would have been better off? It's like we're a different team now and we didn't get anything for him. I also wonder when Nash will get back from the All-Star game? Should have traded for a back up goal tender because ours stinks.

holdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdem View Post
Was it a big mistake to trade Shelley. Wonder if we stayed pat if we would have been better off? It's like we're a different team now and we didn't get anything for him. I also wonder when Nash will get back from the All-Star game? Should have traded for a back up goal tender because ours stinks.
If it's a "big mistake" to trade a player like Shelley, your team has more problems than you know, and it's better to find out sooner rather than later.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
If it's a "big mistake" to trade a player like Shelley, your team has more problems than you know, and it's better to find out sooner rather than later.
Or maybe enforcers are more important than their 5 minutes of icetime?

Looks like in the 3 games since the trade was announced, the Jackets play without heart and their opponents play without fear.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:43 PM
jetbluejackets

are you kidding me?

Do you even watch hockey? Shelley played 5 min a game and contributed nothing...his time of a free ride b/c he got the crowd cheering was over....we have holes that need to be filled with his $500k salary......

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
baberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Looks like in the 3 games since the trade was announced, the Jackets play without heart and their opponents play without fear.
We've also lost 3 games since the All-Star Break. For that matter we've lost every game since I re-subscribed to World of Warcraft. Does that mean I should cancel my subscription?

Correlation does not imply causation. Just because we've played like crap since we traded Shelley doesn't mean we're playing like crap because we traded Shelley. There's millions of factors at work here.

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
jetbluejackets

like lack of skill?....to which shelly obviously contributed nothing so we are no worse the wear

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Like Opponents were scared of Shelley when he was in the pressbox? C'mon guys... Could I argue it was the GlenX trade???

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
blahblah

Nope.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

It came down to pressure..this team has a ton of guys with no playoff experience, they haven't gelled like they should've yet. That coupled with a lack of talent from a playmaking standpoint really hurts.

Old
02-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbluejackets View Post
are you kidding me?

Do you even watch hockey? Shelley played 5 min a game and contributed nothing...his time of a free ride b/c he got the crowd cheering was over....we have holes that need to be filled with his $500k salary......
Well too bad the crowd didn't get into it at all tonight, huh? The only thing audible was some boos late in the game. But I'm sure that energy is totally useless.

Old
02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Not so fast.....

I understand the theory behind trading Shelley, and I agree his on ice ability was way short of NHL quality and his time was short but:

1. The timing? Why trade a locker room guy at a critical time when we need stability and a sense of security. Was there a lack of sensitivity to the Blue Jacket history here?

2. The lack of play? Could his spirit on the ice have helped us during the last three losses when I saw total apathy on ice?

3. Was the team impacted by the emotional impact of a CBJ icon being let go? Shelley could have been traded for a meager 6th pick in the summer.

I think it impacted our locker room folks, I may be wrong, but I'd love to replay the last three games with him on the ice.

Last edited by Robert: 02-02-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by baberg View Post
We've also lost 3 games since the All-Star Break. For that matter we've lost every game since I re-subscribed to World of Warcraft. Does that mean I should cancel my subscription?

Correlation does not imply causation. Just because we've played like crap since we traded Shelley doesn't mean we're playing like crap because we traded Shelley. There's millions of factors at work here.
MILLIONS of factors huh? LOL, ok. I'm quite sure its not that complicated.

Ok, well if you dont believe the Shelley trade has anything to do with them playing different, then just sit back and enjoy the beautiful effort the team is putting forth out there. I'm sure it WAS your WoW magazine that did it, and not them losing:

a) One of their best leaders in the locker-room
b) one of the two most popular players on the team
c) the one source of intimidation (so he's not Boogaard, but he's still a legit NHL heavyweight, which the team has no one remotely close to now).

So yes, the loss of a role player like Shelley CAN be a large influence on a team afterall. But oh well I guess he just didn't have enough skill to play on the elite Blue Jackets.

Old
02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
MILLIONS of factors huh? LOL, ok. I'm quite sure its not that complicated.

Ok, well if you dont believe the Shelley trade has anything to do with them playing different, then just sit back and enjoy the beautiful effort the team is putting forth out there. I'm sure it WAS your WoW magazine that did it, and not them losing:

a) One of their best leaders in the locker-room
b) one of the two most popular players on the team
c) the one source of intimidation (so he's not Boogaard, but he's still a legit NHL heavyweight, which the team has no one remotely close to now).

So yes, the loss of a role player like Shelley CAN be a large influence on a team afterall. But oh well I guess he just didn't have enough skill to play on the elite Blue Jackets.
Stop it. This team had problems well before the all-star break. I think the play we've seen the last few games is merely the consequence of them not being able to band aid the problems any longer.

They couldn't land a few big fish in the forms of a bona fide number one center and a true number one defenseman this summer. Howson and Hitch have been using stopgaps in the form of Feds and Foote and they've held together up till now, but this team is fragile and young at the core. Nash, Russell, Boll, Zherdev, Leclaire, none of them have the experience of playing meaningful NHL games this late into the season.

Trading a fan and team favorite is tough, but this team isn't going to win or even sniff a cup with the likes of Jody Shelley playing consistently on the ice for it. This is all part of moving on from the past, towards an uncertain, yet bright future.

Old
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Trading a fan and team favorite is tough, but this team isn't going to win or even sniff a cup with the likes of Jody Shelley playing consistently on the ice for it.
Tell that to George Parros and Shawn Thornton...

Old
02-03-2008, 12:29 AM
cbj21

Another possible factor is insecurity, knowing you could be traded any moment, thats how it might feel like being a Jacket player now. Doesn't always mean full effort on ice. The human mind is complicated. Just saying.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:33 AM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not so fast.....

I understand the theory behind trading Shelley, and I agree his on ice ability was way short of NHL quality and his time was short but:

1. The timing? Why trade a locker room guy at a critical time when we need stability and a sense of security. Was there a lack of sensitivity to the Blue Jacket history here?

2. The lack of play? Could his spirit on the ice have helped us during the last three losses when I saw total apathy on ice?

3. Was the team impacted by the emotional impact of a CBJ icon being let go? Shelley could have been traded for a meager 6th pick in the summer.

I think it impacted our locker room folks, I may be wrong, but I'd love to replay the last three games with him on the ice.

Great post, agree completely. I think the timing of the Shelley trade was not the best. I agree with your 3rd point the most. Some of these guys have been around Shelley since the beginning. The emotional impact of losing the guy right at a critical point in the season might have broken the camel's back - not because of his play or even his experience, but because of his personal impact on the individual players on this team.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:46 AM
pipe dreams

it was a bad karma deal howson was afraid of this you could tell

he knew what he did. it was a weird situation. we won't see it again in the CBJ future and maybe that's why he did it. to get over it.
he had something special that the cbj will never see again.

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Pluckfur

y'all are high. With as little TOI as Shelley played it is a virtual impossibility that his absence has had, or will have, any effect on the play of this team.

move on.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baberg View Post

Well said.
So many people do this--including those omniscent newscasters.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Hugg

If this team is going to fall out of the playoff race because Jody Shelley got traded then they don't deserve to be in the playoff race to begin with.

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with how they've played since the break.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:19 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
If this team is going to fall out of the playoff race because Jody Shelley got traded then they don't deserve to be in the playoff race to begin with.

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with how they've played since the break.
Nice sum up

Old
02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Straight Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
y'all are high. With as little TOI as Shelley played it is a virtual impossibility that his absence has had, or will have, any effect on the play of this team.

move on.
This team is, and always has been, fragile. So the loss of a friend and fellow player has no effect on a team? I realize the loss of one hardly utilized player should have no profound effect on a team. But think "Its A Wonderful Life" and the affect we all have on each other. The Oilers traded Ryan Smith <sp> at trade deadline while they were still in the playoff picture and they won, what, just one game after that? Now I am in no way comparing the two players, I am just giving an example of a demoralizing effect by absense of one player.

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
mossylog
Go jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not so fast.....

robert, you said exactly what i have been thinking. spot on!!! the timing was crap, and the impact in the locker room i think is more than we know. well done.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
213 Sentinel

Pluckfur and Hugg are right. If just the loss of a low-minutes player is going to affect the team this adversely, we've got deeper problems that still need to be addressed. After last night, I consider us a seller and eagerly look forward to what we sell and what we get for it.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
RickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Trading a fan and team favorite is tough, but this team isn't going to win or even sniff a cup with the likes of Jody Shelley playing consistently on the ice for it. This is all part of moving on from the past, towards an uncertain, yet bright future.
I understand what you're saying, but there has to be a reason the Sharks, a team going to the playoffs, traded for a guy like Shelley. I know they have more talent than we do, but to them, Jody filled a need for toughness and maybe leadership (I'm guessing on the leadership thing, but who knows if the Sharks were aware of Jody's off-ice contributions, also). If we got something more than a late round pick in 2009, something we need now, then the trade would be easier to take.

I agree with Robert's reasoning-the timing stinks.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote