02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
mad_hab'er

vCash: 500
Ryan Jones (Wild prospect), having terrific U.S. college season

Ryan Jones of Chatham, Ont., having terrific U.S. college season
Canadian Press
Feb 1, 2008, 12:01 AM EST
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Ryan Jones of Chatham, Ont., and Kevin Porter of Detroit weren't among the first 100 players selected in their NHL draft year but they topped all U.S. college hockey players in goals scored with 22 apiece going into weekend games.

Jones was taken by the Minnesota Wild in the fourth round, 111th overall, in the 2004 draft when he was coming off an MVP season in the Western Ontario Junior Hockey League with the Chatham Jr. Maroons, and the six-foot-two, 215-pound forward has made them look like geniuses ever since starting to play for the Miami Redhawks of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.

Jones, who is captain of the Redhawks, had 22 goals and 13 assists for 35 points going into weekend games. The 23-year-old college senior is the nephew of former NHL player John Tonelli.

Porter was a fourth-round pick, 119th overall, by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2004 draft. The five-foot-11, 194-pound left-winger came out of the U.S. under-18 development squad and now plays for the Michigan Wolverines of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. He had 22 goals and 17 assists going into weekend games.

Some good players went under the draft radar while in their teens.

The top playmaker in U.S. college hockey has been Bryan Marshall of Livonia, Mich., who captains Nebraska-Omaha. With 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points, he was second to Porter in overall points. The six-foot, 190-pound senior will be a free agent when the college season ends.

Another undrafted forward among the points leaders with 36 (18-18) was Ryan Lasch, a five-foot-seven and 175-pound sophomore from California playing at St. Cloud State in the WCHA.

One of the smallest players ever drafted by an NHL team is faring well at Boston College. Nathan Gerbe of Oxford, Michigan, drafted 142nd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 2005, had 19 goals and 18 assists for the Hockey East team. He's only five-foot-five and 165 pounds - but his numbers are big.

Chad Kolarik of Abington, Pa., another Wolverine whose rights are owned by the Coyotes, had 33 points (18-15).

It appears as if the Toronto Maple Leafs are getting lucky with Chad Rau. The Eden Prairie, Minn., product has shown game-breaking ability and had 30 points (19-11) in his third season at Colorado College of the WCHA as of Thursday. Toronto took the 5-11, 175-pound centre 228th overall in '05 after he was rookie of the year in the USHL at Des Moines, Iowa. Rau helped the U.S. win a world under-18 title.

Kyle Turris of Burnaby, B.C., taken third overall by Phoenix at last summer's draft and a freshman at Wisconsin who helped Canada win another world junior title this winter, had 10 goals and 16 assists in his first 22 games with the Badgers.

Teams in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Athletic Conference have played fewer games and leading point-getters were undrafted senior Colgate forward Jesse Winchester and undrafted Quinnipiac sophomore Brandon Wong. Both had 26 points.

Steve Zalewski of Utica, N.Y., a Clarkson senior whose NHL rights are owned by the San Jose Sharks, had an ECAC-best 15 goals.

The Ottawa Senators are keeping an eye on Erik Condra. The native of Trenton, Mich., plays at Notre Dame and had 30 points (11-19) before lacing up the skates for weekend play. The five-foot-11, 180-pound right-winger was the Sens' seventh pick, 211th overall, in 2006.

The Montreal Canadiens have been interested in seeing the improvements in J. T. Wyman, who they took with their third pick, 100th overall, in 2004. The six-foot-two, 208-pound right-winger has 24 points (13-11) at Dartmouth.

The Edmonton Oilers are encouraged by the play of Chris Vande Velde, a six-foot-two, 190-pound centre from Moorhead, Minn., playing for North Dakota. He's got 22 points (10-12). He was playing high school hockey when the Oilers took him with their fifth pick, 97th overall, in '05.

Fighting Sioux teammate Taylor Chorney of Thunder Bay, Ont., who was Edmonton's second pick and 35th overall in the same draft, is having a good season, too. The five-foot-11, 185-pound defenceman has 19 points including two goals.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

Go hometown boy Jones!

Seems like there are a handful of decent later-round pickups blooming into good players in the U.S. College program.

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Goldy

I have never seen Jones play, but it is my understanding that skill-wise and speed-wise he is nothing special, but he is a grinder and works hard. A nice college player that may not translate into NHL talent. Can anyone here affirm or change this assessment?

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:42 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
I have never seen Jones play, but it is my understanding that skill-wise and speed-wise he is nothing special, but he is a grinder and works hard. A nice college player that may not translate into NHL talent. Can anyone here affirm or change this assessment?
he kinda seems like a grittier mark parrish to me. nothing fancy, hits hard, and gets his by being around the net.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 11:14 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
I pretty much affirm that assessment. I hope he has the NHL skills, but I'm not sure if I see it in him.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
If the Wild pas on signing him, we'll know they aren't convinced. The guy is 23 playing against guys several years younger than him, so you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt. Imagine the damage Pierre-Marc Bouchard, who is just a couple months older, would do in the CCHA.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

here is a profile I did on him...

http://www.deucebydefinition.com/200...yan-jones.html

Old
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Again, keep these coming. I didn't know the Wild had already tried to sign him, which is an interesting tidbit. Hope to see him in an Aeros uni next season, as he is perhaps the last best hope of the Wild draft class of 2004.

Old
02-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Abraham85

He recorded a hattrick tonight (his third of the year) and leads the NCAA in goals again.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

He is also a finalist for CCHA Player of the Year and named to the All-CCHA First Team. Furthermore, he could very well be named to the Hobey Hat Trick (the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award). In addition, Miami is playing some great hockey this year and could be in Denver in the Frozen Four come April.

Goldy: I don't know where you're getting your "assessment" of Jones from, but my guess is it's from someone who either had a bone to pick with Jones or simply hasn't seen him play. He's got skill to boot and good speed to go along with it. Furthermore, he's been a great leader for the RedHawks. I know that the Wild really went after Jones this past summer, but he was firm about coming back to Miami. From the conversations that I've had with people closely connected to the program, one big reason that Jones wanted to come back was because he felt that the RedHawks have a serious shot at winning it all this year (which they definitely do) and he wanted to be there to help his team try and do that. To me, that shows that's he's a team-first guy with character. And if you understand what Miami RedHawks hockey is really all about, it's not anything that is really very surprising.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I really have high hopes for Jones, however, isn't the CCHA lower tier compared to HE or WCHA?

I'm just wondering because my college hockey knowledge is not very good

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Buzz Killington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I really have high hopes for Jones, however, isn't the CCHA lower tier compared to HE or WCHA?

I'm just wondering because my college hockey knowledge is not very good
I wouldn't call the CCHA "lower tier" but I would consider it a little weaker than WCHA and Hockey East. They have 3 teams in the top 10 (Michigan, Miami, Michigan State) and Notre Dame just outside that. So their top 4 teams are equal or better than anyone, but the bottom end is a little weaker, IMO.

I think it's better than ECAC. It's still very good competition.

I've only seen him maybe half a dozen times overall but you gotta love Jones' engine and mentality. Plays his heart out. He does have skill and speed but I'm not sold on whether he can make it past the 3rd line. I'd still take him on my team any day. And I heard he's pretty nifty with his fists too.

Buzz Killington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Bookman

Maybe a better version of Irmen?

Old
03-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Abraham85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Maybe a better version of Irmen?
And that would be... Matt Foy?

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Hockey FAN8888

His season is over..Does anyone know if the wild will offer him a contract in the near future and possible get him some games in the AHL this year.....is there any rules as to when they can sign him?

Hockey FAN8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
State of Hockey

He needs to be signed by August 15th, I believe. I would expect him to sign a contract soon.

Old
03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Hockey FAN8888

any chance he is signed before the areos season is over

Old
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
State of Hockey

I suppose there's a chance. There hasn't been talk of that since Miami was still playing, but now that they're out it could bring about a swift signing.

Old
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I would think he's gotta be Houston-bound sooner than later, whether an ATO or a legit deal.

Old
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
He's on the Aeros roster.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...gn-ryan-jones/

Old
04-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Hockey FAN8888

I cant seem to get the link open...Did he sign with the wild or the aroes

Old
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
He signed a ATO with Houston for the rest of the season.
Then a entry level contract for next season with the Wild.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Hockey FAN8888

I came across this about jones. It says alot about his character

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...0_netaking.php

Old
04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Pepsi12pac

that was a great read.

Looks like he's got the "Minnesota nice" thing down already.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote