HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Hollweg suspended 1 game

Old
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
The hit was bad and warranted a major but it wasn't as bad as everyone's making it. He didn't leave his feet and barely even used his body. It was a shove from behind. Yes it was a major penalty. Yes it deserves a suspension. Hollweg was trying to hit someone once he was back on the ice and it just so happened the first player he got a chance to hit had his back turned. Hockey is a fast paced game. It doesn't make what he did right at all but it happens. Especially when you're ticked off. I'd say 2 games for Hollweg and who gives a crap. Orr provides what Hollweg is there for. Let's get someone better on the fourth line.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Kboy

Nbc

NBC is actually worse than Versus which is hard to imagine! Did Kostitsyn die on the play and no one tell me? Olcyck and Mcguire really need to calm down.

Also - Mike Komisarek is so big and tough, haha what a joke that guy is. Boulion deserves more credit for having some guts and not running away when Orr is around like Komisarek does every chance he gets. He's real tough for hitting Jagr and Straka who wouldn't hit someone back if their lives depended on it.

Kboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboy View Post
Inferno,
Please explain to me how you are okay with the referees bias agianst Hollweg and Avery. While I understand that they are major agitators I think it is ridiculous that the league allows referees to pick and choose what calls to make based on what guys are involved. Kovalev should get more than Hollweg because he clearly bloodied him while Kostitsyn was right up and out playing next shift. It is amazing to me that most of you want NO passion and hitting anymore. Do I agree with Hollweg's hit, obviously not, but the NBC announcers should (olcyck and espcially maguire the weasel) should be taken to task for their obscene over-exaggeration of the play.

I'm thinking that Hollweg thinks that he gets it back even more than he gives out and he needs to defend himslef because the refs are to pathetic to do their job.
you have to take reputation into account, otherwise you get idiotic calls like when Jagr got called for diving the other day. Anyone who has ever seen Jagr play knows the guy doesnt dive, he should have gotten the benefit of the call. likewise when sean avery dives every other shift, he should not be surprised when he doesnt draw legit penalties because of how frequently he embellishes.

its like in the penal system, who do you think gets a bigger sentence a drunk driver, or a drunk driver on his 3rd strike?

Hollweg has had 3 major boarding calls this year alone, and probably at least that many more in his career. you need to send a message that hits like that arent acceptable. Or next time it might be one of our players who gets hit like Bergeron was, and loses a whole season, if not more of his career...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
gravy121

Nbc

Just found it interesting that during the break after the Hollweg hit, NBC's promo for upcoming Game of the Weeks featured a clear hit from behind. Marketing.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:25 PM
eco's bones

It's a 3-5 game suspension hit. Kovalev's is possibly 1 or 2 or maybe even none. What made it as dumb as it could possibly be is we had just tied the score. And that is not only selfish on his part but aggravating to this fan of a team that thinks his team needs to win games much more than an individual player needs to even scores.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
lol this Kovalev nonsense has to stop.

Kovalevs' shot - Penalty Worthy
Hollweg's hit - Suspension Worthy

Really Have you ever been elbowed or checked into the boards face first?

The elbow is by far more damaging in most cases. Big difference is when you get your face jammed into the boards you know its coming and most players will crumple and stay down for the obvious upside of getting a 5 minute major.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Kovalev's elbow on Hollweg - Hollwegs hit on Kostitsyn - Scrum/Fight [YT#1]

No call on Kovalev? Woot..
Suspension comin' for Holly?

Discuss.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Elbow = Hardest part of body - Doesn't give
Boards = lots of give

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

See GDT and Release Ryan Hollweg threads. No need for a 3rd.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
You people are making it out to be worse than the Chris Simon stick swinging incident. It was a boarding and game misconduct and will get a few games for it. We won the game, we played hard, and we played with an edge. These types of hits happen in every other game.

Get over it.
Good post Niko......

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
blandBob

The team does not need Hollweg, regardless of what happened today, though it certainly adds to it. I've played lots of hockey in my life and taken some nasty shots, so it's not like I think there isn't room for retribution. But it's the NHL and he keeps doing this stupid stuff. There just isn't enough upside to his game, I don't see the amount of Rangers games that a lot of people here do, but when I do I never seem him do much of anything but skate hard, and then come up with another bonehead play. What the rest of the team did today was showed real toughness, they pretty much stayed out of the box and they won one-on-one battles for the puck, checked their @ses off and scored. And RH wasn't any part of that.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
He should get 20+ games for that hit. im sorry, but if ever there was intent to injure, that was it.

i hope Colin sets an example of Hollweg. there is no place for that in the NHL.
Not only are you way off base but you don't even mention Kovy's hit. Simply wow.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
Not only are you way off base but you don't even mention Kovy's hit. Simply wow.
they are 2 independent plays that occured several minutes apart. Does kovalev deserve a suspension? well duh, of course he does. again, ask Bergeron what he thinks about the hit while hes drooling into a cup.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:59 PM
In The Flesh

None of you realize what HOllweg brings to the team, some on this board agree with me, most do not, I'm not going to sit here and type my reasons as I've done countless times.

And the people who doubt his love for the team and winning are out of theirs.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
broadwayblue

Hollweg didn't look like he was in the right frame of mind to play responsibly. He looked like a rabid dog on the bench before his first shift back after he took the elbow. Certainly he crossed the line, but I don't think it was a brutal play. He'll get a couple games imo, but we need him in the lineup playing right at the line.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Unk

What does Hollweg bring to this team? This is the second time this season he got a 5-min major right after we tied the game.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:12 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hollweg didn't look like he was in the right frame of mind to play responsibly. He looked like a rabid dog on the bench before his first shift back after he took the elbow. Certainly he crossed the line, but I don't think it was a brutal play. He'll get a couple games imo, but we need him in the lineup playing right at the line.
agreed, we need him in the lineup, take him out and we're even softer, 3 games for HOllweg, at least 1 for Kovalev.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:23 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Don"t think Drury agrees with the OP. "I think it fired us up".

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm one of the biggest Hollweg bashers on this board.

But this is one of the tamest hits he's thrown.

No suspension or 1 or 2 games at the max.

I dislike the guy and that hit was pretty much nothing. No way was it worse than Kovalchuk's. So if he gets over a game or two, I'll be pissed.

Last edited by Bird Law: 02-03-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm one of the biggest Hollweg bashers on this board.

But this is one of the tamest hits he's thrown.

No suspension or 1 or 2 games at the max.

I dislike the guy and that hit was pretty much nothing. No way was it worse than Kovalchuk's. So if he gets over a game or two, I'll be pissed.
The hit for me isn't the issue, as you said the hit itself wasn't that bad. The premeditation of the hit is what makes it worse. YOu knew he was going to come back on the ice, and do something moronic.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Alison

If he hurts the team more than helps it you dump him end of story. It's not like today was the first time he hurt his team this way. To be selfish is one thing but to be selfish and be a ****** player on top of it is another. Both plays where dirty and Kovy deseve's a suspension as well, let's see what the NHL does with this one.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
The hit for me isn't the issue, as you said the hit itself wasn't that bad. The premeditation of the hit is what makes it worse. YOu knew he was going to come back on the ice, and do something moronic.
Then that was also the coaches fault was it not? If you know a 4th line player is pissed and going to do something stupid you bench him.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I think between 3-5 though. Uh Oh Renney, no more HBO line, the world is guna end!!!
No, because he is a Ranger, and we fired Colin Cambell how long ago, he will chose to make Hollweg a league example and suspend him for 50+

Worst part is, IMO Hollwegs hit from behind is no worse then the one administered to Gomez in the Carolina game.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
mhurley

Ya'll need to calm down.

Despite what a clearly biased panel of commentators on NBC said, Ryan Hollweg does not deserve to be suspended by the NHL. Was it a boarding penalty? Yes. But, Kostitsyn was in possession of the puck, he had his head down and he turned his back. Hollweg didn’t leave his feet. Sure, he could have put on the breaks. The fact that he skated away from that check and was surprised at the Montreal retaliation is an indication to me that, in his mind, Ryan thought he just simply made a hard check.

Was it a selfish penalty? Maybe. Were Roszival's two hooking penalties that led to the Habs two powerplay goals selfish? You bet your arse they were. Should Renney sit Roszival? He won't. If Hollweg isn't suspended, should Renney sit him?

You guys are always moaning about lack of team toughness and players standing up for themselves and their teamates. Yet, when Hollweg is a little overzealous you want to waive him.

Did we get scored on as a result of Hollweg's poor judgement? No. Was Kostitsyn seriously hurt? No. Did the Rangers get fired up and score 5 unanswered goals? YES

Geez, I'm a woman and I don't b*tch as much as you guys. I'm going to start a "Chicks for Team Toughness" thread.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Maybe waiving Hollweg is a little extreme, but he defintely needs to be a scratch more often, and he was not really needed today, we should very rarely need both he and Orr in the lineup.

When the team is healthy Hossa or Callahan can skate on the 4th line with 1 of Hollweg/Orr dressed... Guess I just think Hollweg is overstaying his welcome a bit.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote