HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Hollweg suspended 1 game

Old
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Okay the do unto others theory is widely used, and rightfully so. But don't you think retaliating against the player who did unto you is the way to do it? Not just pick some kid who is facing the boards and in a vulnerable position? So Avery goes out and pisses someone off does it give the player the right to try and injure Staal or Dubinsky? Get revenge on the guy who deserves it. Think that hit hurt Kovy? He won't give a **** he is a me type of guy, probably glad the kid took it instead of him.
Some guy elbows you in the head so you hurt someone he works with really what was acomplished?
Personally speaking, I'd be looking to hurt more than just one player on the opposing team, be that Kovy or anyone else.

The fact of the matter is that Hockey players are like elephants, they have looong memories and I could see Kovy getting his later in the year or even next season.

The kind that Hollweg hit has been a pretty good player for the Habs. Get him thnking about things other than the games and you've already accomplished what you set out to accomplish.

To me, anyone wearing the opposing sweater is fair game. I'm not about individual vendetta's, I'm about doing to them what they did to us and who it is on their team matters little to me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Jackson Ranger

Cry me a river. If that was as bad as a hit as most of you are saying, please put put down your Ranger pom poms and go watch tennis if you are appalled. The hit was bad but not as bad as Kovaluchuk's (1 game) or Walker's (no games).

And to suspend him if the league doesn't, ok, fine, let's put everyone on the same level. If Straka misses an open net, suspend him for two games. If Jagr gets another lazy hooking penalty suspend him for five games. If Lundqvist let's in a soft goal, give him 10 games. Seems right!

I'd love to know if everyone feels that they would think the same way if it was a first line player who did the same infraction? Or is Hollweg an easy mark because he is on the much hated HBO line that gets too many minutes of ice time?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
danman1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklee View Post
that was a stupid play but i would give him another chance, especially with how solid he has played for our 4th line.
We can do better.

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
danman1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Cry me a river. If that was as bad as a hit as most of you are saying, please put put down your Ranger pom poms and go watch tennis if you are appalled. The hit was bad but not as bad as Kovaluchuk's (1 game) or Walker's (no games).

And to suspend him if the league doesn't, ok, fine, let's put everyone on the same level. If Straka misses an open net, suspend him for two games. If Jagr gets another lazy hooking penalty suspend him for five games. If Lundqvist let's in a soft goal, give him 10 games. Seems right!

I'd love to know if everyone feels that they would think the same way if it was a first line player who did the same infraction? Or is Hollweg an easy mark because he is on the much hated HBO line that gets too many minutes of ice time?
The "cheapness" of it and the "brutality" doesn't get me. It's the fact that he, in a pre-meditated decision, took a match penalty that could have easily lost us the game, got me.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trankler View Post
Hollweg did the right thing, it energized the Rangers and forced the Canadiens to play a physical nasty game, something they are not good at. I like this version of the Rangers much better than the one full of fast skating figure skaters that regularly got walked over by every team in the East.
thank you.

This team finally starts playing with some attitude and they look impressive over the last 3 games doing it.

This is the type of team I can support. A team that gets in your face and pushes the tempo and dictates the style of play. This is a style more suited to fit the New York personality than some dipsy doodling pansyarse team that has been skating in the garden this year.

I really started to dislike this team and the soft way they went about playing games. Totally Un-NY like.

I want to see more of this snarl for the rest of the season.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
This "defending yourself" stuff is crap. Why do you have to take a major in the process of defending yourself? Throw a clean check, it sends the same effect. Don't have to ram someones head into the boards.

Not to mention it happened AFTER we had already AMAZINGLY tied the game and had all the momentem anyway...

not gunna get deep into this. we won the game and we can all be thrilled about that

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
ThisYearsModel

I have no problem with Hollweg, except that he put the team at risk. Kostitsyn did not miss a shift and was not hurt, but turned out to be a pretty good actor. Kovalev's hit that was ignored by the refs was much more dangerous.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
The "cheapness" of it and the "brutality" doesn't get me. It's the fact that he, in a pre-meditated decision, took a match penalty that could have easily lost us the game, got me.
You're making it out to be the worst hit in the NHL this year. I'm sorry but Downie's hit on McAmmond was much, much worse. Hell, even Milbury was gushing about the Russians and how they have been "north americanized" with their attitudes and hits, shows Ovechkin taking a much more serious run at Malkin and yet there are no comments about that. If he had landed the hit, he would have put Malkin onto queer street.

Yet no comment by NBC and I wonder if they did, like they did with the selfish comments about the Hollweg hit, if people would feel the same way.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
danman1202

Quote:

Quote:
You're making it out to be the worst hit in the NHL this year. I'm sorry but Downie's hit on McAmmond was much, much worse. Hell, even Milbury was gushing about the Russians and how they have been "north americanized" with their attitudes and hits, shows Ovechkin taking a much more serious run at Malkin and yet there are no comments about that. If he had landed the hit, he would have put Malkin onto queer street.

Yet no comment by NBC and I wonder if they did, like they did with the selfish comments about the Hollweg hit, if people would feel the same way.
Did you read my post? Those were in quotation marks. As in, it wasn't that bad. But it was still a match penalty, and an incredibly dumb decision at that.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Kostitsyn did not miss a shift and was not hurt, but turned out to be a pretty good actor. Kovalev's hit that was ignored by the refs was much more dangerous.
Bingo!

Old
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Ok first off totally stupid and selfish play by Ryan. But can the a-hole anti Ranger NBC tv crew plAY IT UP ANYMORE THEN THEY DID? The acting on the play was horrible and the fact t elbow was completely missed by 4 guys that could have called a major is a joke. The Rangers got screwed and when the scrum in the corner with Jagr took place punches to the back of the head are now legal?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
Did you read my post? Those were in quotation marks. As in, it wasn't that bad. But it was still a match penalty, and an incredibly dumb decision at that.
I did read your post so why did you quote a post previous to what you said???

You're only problem is it was "pre-meditated". So, you know exactly what Hollweg was thinking before the puck was dropped? Man, I wish you would have let us known about the Giant game tonight!

My point is the hit wasn't that bad, that it wasn't pre-meditated and meant to hurt the first Canadien player Hollweg saw. If it was, I would think it would have been much worse.

Was it stupid, yes, pre-meditated, no.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
NHLhockey1234

I'm calling it. 10 games.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Bring up Moore and let him make the case whether Hollywood stays or goes, if Hollweg is suspended of course. Stupid play, but he's a good skater and fierce forechecker. Crap like that makes him a liability. We can't just dump without someone to take his place, and I'm not at all sure that's Hossa.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
that puck would go straight to the shredder.

seriously though, its just how i am. there are 3 things i cant stand.

Intent to injure, diving, and lazy play. *shrugs* i am who i am, and i cant be who im not.

btw, this is the 3rd time hes been given a misconduct for a hit from behind this year alone. youre insane if you dont think that was a bad hit. especially after all the crying after gomez's hit we heard on this board.
Avery fails your first two tests. Do you want him gone?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:06 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
I'm sorry, but this post smacks of rampant homerism and hollweg tinted glasses. If one of their players did that to jagr, gomez, or drury, im sure you wouldn't be so cavalier about dirty hits.
Please. Give me a break. Homerism? From the post where I basically call out the organization and fanbase for being too soft to win championships?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but I don't exactly condone what Hollweg did. Usually it's very bad timing, but obviously today it turned the tide. I'm more in line with guys like Jonathan and his posts I also quoted here. I don't think Hollweg belongs on this team but that is more of a decision based on skill and qualities brought to the table.

I've see the hit about a dozen times, before and after the Superbowl, so I've had some time to see it in different attitudes. The hit is bad, but not 20 games bad. If he gets around 5 games or so I think it's appropriate. And this garbage about Hollweg being on the league's hitlist... the list that failed to include Simon or Tucker.

Look, maybe I'm overreacting but so is everyone else on the otherside of this. It was a incredibly emotional game. Probably our 3rd playoff game in a row, arguably our most important win of the season. I understand that everyone is upset that Hollweg put that win in jeopardy but this sequence of events has the potential to define our season the rest of the way. Much like the acquisition of Avery last season, this can be the statement to the league that this team won't be pushed around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm one of the biggest Hollweg bashers on this board.

But this is one of the tamest hits he's thrown.

No suspension or 1 or 2 games at the max.

I dislike the guy and that hit was pretty much nothing. No way was it worse than Kovalchuk's. So if he gets over a game or two, I'll be pissed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's either that or show the league that our guys fall down when cheapshotted. Hollweg actually did the right thing for once and I'm proud of him.
Agree 100% with everything you're putting in this thread. I'm more disgusted with the fact that no one went after Komisarik for the way he mauled Jagr all game (cleanly). He's the captain and no one took exception to him being abused every shift? But Hollweg reaches his breaking point with this series of cheapshots on our players over the last 2 weeks and then the fanbase is disgusted?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:08 PM
NHLhockey1234

I think Hollweg's hit should be sticking a lightbulb in Renney's head. Get a new 4th line. We need some offensive production from them, not mindless hits. I hate the HBO line with a burning passion. Get brand new players (don't stick in Hossa).

Dump Hollweg
Dump Orr
Dump Betts
Dump Malik
Dump Tyutin
Dump Hossa
Dump Strudwick

That's my Valentine's day present.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:10 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
no one is going to take hollweg...yes he hits, works hard on shifts and all that but he cant control his emotions. Should Kovalev have gotten a penalty on that elbow? yes but Hollweg should have restrained himself and tried to score a goal or get back at the Habs another way

5-10 games

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
I think Hollweg's hit should be sticking a lightbulb in Renney's head. Get a new 4th line. We need some offensive production from them, not mindless hits. I hate the HBO line with a burning passion. Get brand new players (don't stick in Hossa).

Dump Hollweg
Dump Orr
Dump Betts
Dump Malik
Dump Tyutin
Dump Hossa
Dump Strudwick

It sounds more like the Valentine's Day Massacre...and you have no clue how a hockey team wins because of teamwork and heart. Betts, Tyutin, Orr?? Please.

Old
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
let me get this straight.....some people on here actually like what hollweg did? are you f***ing kidding me? we just came back from a 3-0 deficit, we had all momentum, and that idiot takes a mind boggling penalty that could have cost us the game? real smart posts on here tonight, montreal was 5 for its last 7 vs the rangers on the power play, and if not for the break we got with a montreal guy taking a minor we escaped only killing 3 minutes of the major. you know damn well if it was a full major montreal would have scored at least one goal. and i would have loved to see you idiots on here praise hollweg then. "it made montreal play a physical game, and changed the game around" are you kidding me, we just came back from 3-0 without the thuggery tactics/antics! it was unnecessary, stupid, and selfish. it's time for a hossa-betts-callahan line when shanny comes back, and orr to be used appropriately. hollweg is a bum, and should not be in the lineup. with callahan back he can add the physicality that hollweg possessed, and provide more offensively.

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
ThisYearsModel

Holly is all hustle and heart. We might be able to upgrade his spot.....but today's game is not a reason to dump him.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Randy Jones left his feet to hit Patrice Bergeron from behind (which BTW put Bergeron out for the season) and got 2 games. Holleweg gets 1 or 2.
Campbell really dropped the ball on that one. That should have easily been 12+ games. The Hollweg hit will probably get inflated because of 1) Hollweg being on the so called "watchlist" and 2) it will be viewed as a "revenge" hit. That said, the refs non-call really led to this one.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post

Dump Hollweg
Dump Orr
Dump Betts
Dump Malik
Dump Tyutin
Dump Hossa
Dump Strudwick

Wow. Any list of guys to dump that includes Tyutin has about 0 credibility.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Wow. Any list of guys to dump that includes Tyutin has about 0 credibility.
Or Betts...

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Holly is all hustle and heart. We might be able to upgrade his spot.....but today's game is not a reason to dump him.
id rather have korpikoski or dupont on the 4th line, i know both are not ready, korpikoski is more ready than dupont. korpedo should at least get a chance.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote