HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Carl Soderberg

Old
08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
RaTcine

vCash: 500
Soderberg

Hi. I need info on this guy.

What's his potential ?
Write anything you know about this hockey player

RaTcine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2004, 02:00 PM
slimer

You would probably be better off asking on the Swedish board. I doubt that many Blues fans have seen him play yet.

slimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2004, 07:31 AM
guitaraholic*

go over to the prospects board, a cat named Mr. Zzzz has posted basically a dissertation on Mr. Soderberg. It's pretty definitive. Apparently he actually knows Carl and his father and was at one of the games where Ville Sirin (Jarmo's boy in Europe) decided he wanted Soderberg. It's a great read.

guitaraholic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Zoran Manojlovic

Hello Blues fans,

Since the 2004 draft is over I belive that I can put this out here on the boards without making my boss angry.

There have been a lot of quastions regarding Carl Söderberg, therefore I have decided to put this out for all of you fans so that you can get a different opinion on him.

Enjoy!

October, 2003

Notes

Carl has picked up his play after a slow home season premier. He has been absolutely flying all over the ice in the last four games in the Swedish J-20 league. He has scored 6 goals and 2 assist in those four games, including a hat trick against Modo. He’s the league leader in goals (11) and points (16) in 9 games.

Scouting report

Carl is a good skater who likes to carry the puck and create offense. He has very good hands and is able to stickhandle through traffic at high speed. He also possesses impressive hockey sense, which enables him to dominate the game. After a slow start Carl has started to use his body more and is now showing his physical abilities as well. He will need to work on his foot-speed and his defensive zone coverage, as he tends not to skate hard enough to break the play. His shoot will also need some improvement, as it’s weak.

Projection

Over the last three games Carl has showed enough to be considered a top prospect in Sweden. He projects a 2nd rounder at the moment. If he continues to play this well throughout the season he could have an outside shot at the 1st round.

November, 2003

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has continued to play well in the Swedish Junior-A league. Although he has dropped of in intensity in the last 2 games, his performance still is very good. He has had 5 goals and 7 assists for 12 points in his last 6 games. Also notable is that I have talked with his father, Bengt, and he had some interesting info to tell. He said that Carl was very interested in coming over to play in the CHL next year. As a mather of fact he wanted to come over for this season but his father didnt allow him as he wanted him to finish his school here in Sweden before moving anywhere. Also he thought that Carl would be picked somewhere in late sceond or early third round based on what his agent has been telling him.

December, 2003

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, is a new player now. In November he had a minor injury as he took a puck to his foot and was sidelined for a week. During that time he couldn’t skate, so he had to work out in the gym. He concentrated on his legs, and it is clear that this has paid of. He is much more agile on his skates. He has better acceleration, top speed, and every thing that concerns skating. He seems to be much lighter when on the ice, although he hasn’t lost any weight. Right now he has that special separation speed that enables him to out skate the defensemen and create scoring chances for both him and his line mates. He also seems to be listening to what other people say. I spoke with his father and told him that Carl needs to work on his skating and become more aggressive in order to raise his draft stock. In the last 4 games he has been throwing his body around and has been a regular physical presence on the ice. He is not a monster hitter but he wins battles in the corners thanks to this. He isn’t just picking with his stick (as he used to do before) he is also moving the defenders with his body to gain the control of the puck. The coach of the Junior-A team has also told me that Carl will now practise with the men’s team during the holiday break and that he expects him to take a regular spot on one of the top three lines.

January, 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has been mostly centering the 2nd line for Malmö in elitserien but has now been demoted to be an extra forward. While playing on the second line Carl was asked to play a more of a defensive role and that could be one of the reasons for him not scoring more points. A very strong season so far, Carl will most likely be picked in the top-50 this year.

February, 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has continued to play well for the struggling MIF Red Hawks, which now will be forced to play in relegation games to stay in Elitserien for the next season. He has also continued to work on his body to become more effective on the ice. He has lost about 10 Ibs in the last month or so because of the tougher training with the main team. During the last couple of games Carl has looked more comfortable with and without the puck as he has learned how to be effective in elitserien. But he still hasn’t really been able to show of his best attributes (hockey sense, vision, puck handling) in elitserien because of the tighter game play. He is also more agile and has a quicker first step. But he still has work to do in that area. His physical play has progressed but isn’t still fully developed. In some games he can level a big guy and than you have to wait for two more games to see the next big hit. He has to be more aggressive on a consistent level. In other news, Carl has been offered a contract from the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL and will also soon get a contract offer from the Mif Redhwaks. His father told me that his agent wants him to move to the CHL, and I explained to him why. Simply because of the “two-year signing”. This is a way for him to earn quick cash as well as push the organization that drafts him to sign him. He hasn’t yet decided what to do but he leans on staying in Sweden.

Final Report, April 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has enjoyed a successful season with both the Junior-A and senior teams of Malmö. He won the scoring title in the Junior-A in style and was the most dominant player this season.

Great size and hockey sense… sees the ice very well and is a smart playmaker… has good hands and is dangerous offensively… good on face offs… has scoring touch… good wrist shot… defensive zone coverage is pore… needs to be more physical… attitude is questionable… solid skater who lacks top notch foot-speed…

Draft projection: Late 1st/ mid 2nd round pick

I have also made some comments regarding David Fredriksson on the Prospects boards if you´d like to see that.

Zoran Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zzzz
Hello Blues fans,

Since the 2004 draft is over I belive that I can put this out here on the boards without making my boss angry.

There have been a lot of quastions regarding Carl Söderberg, therefore I have decided to put this out for all of you fans so that you can get a different opinion on him.

Enjoy!

October, 2003

Notes

Carl has picked up his play after a slow home season premier. He has been absolutely flying all over the ice in the last four games in the Swedish J-20 league. He has scored 6 goals and 2 assist in those four games, including a hat trick against Modo. He’s the league leader in goals (11) and points (16) in 9 games.

Scouting report

Carl is a good skater who likes to carry the puck and create offense. He has very good hands and is able to stickhandle through traffic at high speed. He also possesses impressive hockey sense, which enables him to dominate the game. After a slow start Carl has started to use his body more and is now showing his physical abilities as well. He will need to work on his foot-speed and his defensive zone coverage, as he tends not to skate hard enough to break the play. His shoot will also need some improvement, as it’s weak.

Projection

Over the last three games Carl has showed enough to be considered a top prospect in Sweden. He projects a 2nd rounder at the moment. If he continues to play this well throughout the season he could have an outside shot at the 1st round.

November, 2003

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has continued to play well in the Swedish Junior-A league. Although he has dropped of in intensity in the last 2 games, his performance still is very good. He has had 5 goals and 7 assists for 12 points in his last 6 games. Also notable is that I have talked with his father, Bengt, and he had some interesting info to tell. He said that Carl was very interested in coming over to play in the CHL next year. As a mather of fact he wanted to come over for this season but his father didnt allow him as he wanted him to finish his school here in Sweden before moving anywhere. Also he thought that Carl would be picked somewhere in late sceond or early third round based on what his agent has been telling him.

December, 2003

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, is a new player now. In November he had a minor injury as he took a puck to his foot and was sidelined for a week. During that time he couldn’t skate, so he had to work out in the gym. He concentrated on his legs, and it is clear that this has paid of. He is much more agile on his skates. He has better acceleration, top speed, and every thing that concerns skating. He seems to be much lighter when on the ice, although he hasn’t lost any weight. Right now he has that special separation speed that enables him to out skate the defensemen and create scoring chances for both him and his line mates. He also seems to be listening to what other people say. I spoke with his father and told him that Carl needs to work on his skating and become more aggressive in order to raise his draft stock. In the last 4 games he has been throwing his body around and has been a regular physical presence on the ice. He is not a monster hitter but he wins battles in the corners thanks to this. He isn’t just picking with his stick (as he used to do before) he is also moving the defenders with his body to gain the control of the puck. The coach of the Junior-A team has also told me that Carl will now practise with the men’s team during the holiday break and that he expects him to take a regular spot on one of the top three lines.

January, 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has been mostly centering the 2nd line for Malmö in elitserien but has now been demoted to be an extra forward. While playing on the second line Carl was asked to play a more of a defensive role and that could be one of the reasons for him not scoring more points. A very strong season so far, Carl will most likely be picked in the top-50 this year.

February, 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has continued to play well for the struggling MIF Red Hawks, which now will be forced to play in relegation games to stay in Elitserien for the next season. He has also continued to work on his body to become more effective on the ice. He has lost about 10 Ibs in the last month or so because of the tougher training with the main team. During the last couple of games Carl has looked more comfortable with and without the puck as he has learned how to be effective in elitserien. But he still hasn’t really been able to show of his best attributes (hockey sense, vision, puck handling) in elitserien because of the tighter game play. He is also more agile and has a quicker first step. But he still has work to do in that area. His physical play has progressed but isn’t still fully developed. In some games he can level a big guy and than you have to wait for two more games to see the next big hit. He has to be more aggressive on a consistent level. In other news, Carl has been offered a contract from the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL and will also soon get a contract offer from the Mif Redhwaks. His father told me that his agent wants him to move to the CHL, and I explained to him why. Simply because of the “two-year signing”. This is a way for him to earn quick cash as well as push the organization that drafts him to sign him. He hasn’t yet decided what to do but he leans on staying in Sweden.

Final Report, April 2004

Carl Söderberg, C, Malmö, has enjoyed a successful season with both the Junior-A and senior teams of Malmö. He won the scoring title in the Junior-A in style and was the most dominant player this season.

Great size and hockey sense… sees the ice very well and is a smart playmaker… has good hands and is dangerous offensively… good on face offs… has scoring touch… good wrist shot… defensive zone coverage is pore… needs to be more physical… attitude is questionable… solid skater who lacks top notch foot-speed…

Draft projection: Late 1st/ mid 2nd round pick

I have also made some comments regarding David Fredriksson on the Prospects boards if you´d like to see that.

Great Read. Thanks for the updates and describing his play on a month to month basis.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2004, 03:46 PM
c-carp

I agree great reqad and thanks for the Info.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Frenzy1

Soderberg, Carl

Looks like he will be with the Redhawks.

Link goes to there schedule. 1st game is Monday.

http://stats.swehockey.se/

Old
09-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Looks like he will be with the Redhawks.

Link goes to there schedule. 1st game is Monday.

http://stats.swehockey.se/
1 Assist in the first 3 games. Not too bad.

Old
09-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Saw Söderberg play in the game vs Mora today.

He played on the fourth line, along with speedster Jan Hammar and Washington prospect Andreas Valdix. The line got somewhat regular minutes in the first two periods but did play a lot less in the third and nothing in OT. Söderberg had some problems at the faceoffs, and didn't play a so good game. He also had an turnover which almost resulted in a goal for Mora. He though showed some glimps of his puck skills and have some nice passes, and as usual skated a lot, without getting anything out of it. He could certinly need some better wingers to develop faster, but he'll improve as the season goes on. He'll probably also get top-line minutes as the season goes on.

Malmö forward depth chart:
Left Wing:
1 Mika Hannula
2 Kim Staal
3 Björn Melin
4 Andreas Valdix
5 Marcus Paulsson
Center:
1 Mikael Wahlberg
2 Brett McLean
3 Peter Hammarström
4 Carl Söderberg
Right Wing:
1 Kim Staal
2 Markus Matthiasson
3 Frans Nielsen
4 Jan Hammar
5 Marcus Magnertoft

Robertsson 4-ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Saw Söderberg play in the game vs Mora today.

He played on the fourth line, along with speedster Jan Hammar and Washington prospect Andreas Valdix. The line got somewhat regular minutes in the first two periods but did play a lot less in the third and nothing in OT. Söderberg had some problems at the faceoffs, and didn't play a so good game. He also had an turnover which almost resulted in a goal for Mora. He though showed some glimps of his puck skills and have some nice passes, and as usual skated a lot, without getting anything out of it. He could certinly need some better wingers to develop faster, but he'll improve as the season goes on. He'll probably also get top-line minutes as the season goes on.

Malmö forward depth chart:
Left Wing:
1 Mika Hannula
2 Kim Staal
3 Björn Melin
4 Andreas Valdix
5 Marcus Paulsson
Center:
1 Mikael Wahlberg
2 Brett McLean
3 Peter Hammarström
4 Carl Söderberg
Right Wing:
1 Kim Staal
2 Markus Matthiasson
3 Frans Nielsen
4 Jan Hammar
5 Marcus Magnertoft
Thanks for the update. This kid will be the prospect that I follow this year. Try to find one a year so anytime you can drop by and lets us know how he is playing, I would really appreciate.

Old
09-30-2004, 06:37 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Robertsson, what's your assessment of Nielsen?

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
Robertsson, what's your assessment of Nielsen?
Many thinks he'll get his breakthrough this season, so does I. He was among the most creative Malmö players in this game, and played with countryman Kim Staal and lock-out player Brett McLean. He got soft hands and moves smooth with the puck, but was moved quite easily by big defensemen. He had some nice shots, but was unable to bury the puck. He recieves a lot of ice time and will develop a lot this season, I think around 25 points isn't that far away. I'll give you more updates as the season goes on.

Robertsson 4-ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2004, 03:44 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Thanks

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Oiltown16

Carl Soderberg

Hey, guys I have Soderberg in an FHL league and I'm wondering what the expectations for this guy are?? and also how soon will he be NHL ready?

thanks alot

Oiltown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Qubax

Soderberg

What do you guys think of this guys potential?

I know he's maybe a bit like Alexandrov that he's a project...

But I mean Soderberg is Big, Skilled etc right? When do you think he'll come over to North America? Could we see him in Peoria next fall?

Just wondering what you local Blues fans think of Carl and his potential...thanks

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
It's a question better posted on the Sweden board where people have seen him a lot more, but here's what I've gathered:

He's got 2nd line written all over him, making the NHL should not be an issue. The bigger question may be whether he's ready to come over after this season - playing in the 2nd Tier in Sweden, his team has a chance to get promoted to the Elite League if they finish in the top 2 in the relegation round-robin starting tomorrow. If his team gets promoted, by all accounts he wants to play a year there. If his team *doesn't* get promoted somehow, he'll likely be over to North America.

No matter what, I think the Blues are looking at a June 1 deadline with him to get him signed or risk losing his rights. (All 30 teams have a similar situation with European players drafted before 2003, I don't recall if '04 draftees like Soderberg fall into this year's deadline as well or not.)

03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Flames 1st pick

if u look at stats, he got 0 goals in 38 games this year.

How can he be a 2nd line player in the NHL? I have never seen a player with such low scoring in the lower league become a score at the NHL level...

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan
if u look at stats, he got 0 goals in 38 games this year.

How can he be a 2nd line player in the NHL? I have never seen a player with such low scoring in the lower league become a score at the NHL level...

He's got 15 goals, 24 assists in 39 games this season. He's also a +24 on the team. You're either confusing him with somebody else or looking at the wrong columns.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Ola

Söderberg have grown IMO. He always had OK attitude, but wasn't really desparate to make it. Especially when he played in the SEL before he was drafted, you kind of expect a kid his age if nothing else ooz of energy. He didn't.

This year he have played like a seasoned vet, which is impressive. I still think he needs some time. He is a good player, but don't have that last attribute that will set him apart at the higest level. Like a great shot/vision/agility/speed.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn

He's got 15 goals, 24 assists in 39 games this season. He's also a +24 on the team. You're either confusing him with somebody else or looking at the wrong columns.
I was looking at this from hockeydb, i have never seen it incorrect before...may be there is an issue?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=76090

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
I was looking at this from hockeydb, i have never seen it incorrect before...may be there is an issue?

I pulled my stats from the link in the Prospects thread stuck at the top of the board. It's a link directly to the Sweden Hockey web site that covers all of the Swedish leagues, plus has a historical archive of players who've played in Sweden.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:

Those stats are from 2004-05, to start with.

As I_B said, go to http://www.swehockey.se, click on "Games Online," then click on the Historical Database and look up Carl Söderberg.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2006, 08:17 AM
St.Louis sports fan

According to HF's piece on the Blues' Swedish prospects they see Carl returning to Sweden next year. Is it just me or does it seem like every other teams Euro prospects come to play in the minors or make the team while the Blues' stay over in Europe until they don't want to come over anymore. If this losing atmosphere is going to be turned around anytime in the next 3 years the Blues will have to start changing the way they develop? prospects. Look at the way they've handled Zakharov, Sejna, Lynch, Fitzgerald.
Maybe HF's staff is right on their evaluations of the prospects and they are not underrated. If the Blues don't think enough of say Alexandrov, Shkotov, Soderberg, Lemtyugov, and Aaltonen to sign them and bring them over then maybe we just see them through rose-colored glasses. I guess alot of these questions will be answered next year, but I hope it's not just a case of each one's unwillingness to play in North America. It's just so frustrating to get excited about a player possibly wearing the Bluenote someday and then a another year goes by and they are still playing so far away.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
execwrite

I always compare Christian Backman to Shkotov and Zakharov.

Backman stayed in Sweden until he was ready. It took patience but was worth the wait.

Shkotov and Zakharov (and Schwarz) came over too soon and probably delayed their development.

Let the Euros stay home until they're ready to commit to North America.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan
According to HF's piece on the Blues' Swedish prospects they see Carl returning to Sweden next year.
That's largely because his team is currently playing in a double round-robin trying to get promoted to the Elite League for 2006-07; if they get promoted, he apparently wants to play one season in the Elite League. They were the top team in the 2nd tier this season, and they're 3-1 right now and look to have a pretty good shot at getting promoted.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote