HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carl Soderberg

Old
05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
johpers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Söderberg have been offered a contract by STL, according to Aftonbladet.

Great passer/playmaker, in comparision with whom exactly? I am not tearing Söderbergs potential apart, but this kid is still a kid in progress. He is looking good and can defenitly become a really good player, but don't expect to get a finnished product who is ready to step in and lead a 2nd line in the NHL. It will take 1-2 seasons before he is ready for that.
His coach Lars Bergström compares him with Jörgen Jönsson and he is also positive that he will play in the national team next season so I think that you are too worried about his potential next season. In fact I don´t think you are updated about his develpoment last season and he is definitely not a kid anymore. Anyway he will come to the camp in July so S.t Louis can take a look by themselves.

johpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Irish Blues

If Soderberg comes over this year and makes the team, then either

1. He's *really* improved and should make a pretty strong impact in '06-07, or
2. Things look *really* bleak for '06-07 for the Bluenote.

Either way, I don't think there's anyone following the Blues and has more than half a clue about hockey (this eliminates the mindless, *squawk* "FIRE PLEAU!" *squawk* crowd) who expects Soderberg to be anywhere near finished right now, much less in another season. I want him to improve and get some confidence against the best competition in Sweden this upcoming season, then come over and parlay that confidence into lots of NHL success for years to come.

05-31-2006, 09:02 AM
MU_Beerman

When it comes to Euro draftees, often one tact or the other is taken, "He's better off playing against men in a professional league and gaining experience" or "He's better off coming over and adapting to the NA style of play and gaining confidence vs. kids in the AHL."

I suppose it's different for individual players, but I'm curious where you fall on this Irish, and how you think it applies to Soderberg, who seems to be the best Euro prospect the Blues have ever had, perhaps save Backman (at this stage of development).

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
NashisCash

Soderberg

Where will he be playing this year? AHL or SEL? Thanks

NashisCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Irish Blues

If he doesn't make the NHL roster, he has the option in his contract to return to the SEL for 2006-07. Given that he'd be playing for his hometown team in Sweden and they just made the jump to the top tier, I'd imagine he'll play there to help make sure they stay in the top tier for more than one season if he gets assigned to the AHL.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashisCash View Post
Where will he be playing this year? AHL or SEL? Thanks

Soderberg should start his 1st professional season in the states at Peoria (AHL).

But i am hoping that he adapts quickly to the NHL. And he should get a look at the NHL level, towards to end of the season. As soon as Kitchen realizes, that Cajenak can't do much other than tie his laces on his skates. and most likely should be a regular in the NHL by the end of the 07-08 season.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:59 PM
NashisCash

So he'll definitely be in camp and competing for a roster spot?

NashisCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
SIU LAW

Soderberg will be in camp, and he will be in the prospect tourney right before camp.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 05:29 PM
johpers

I don´t think Soderberg will return to Sweden next season. Soderberg is a very good center for his age (You can compare him with Mats Sundin). St Louis is short of natural centers so I think he has a fair chance to grab one of the centerpositions next season.

johpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by johpers View Post
St Louis is short of natural centers
This is a fallacy.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
MU_Beerman

From JDs comments about the Cajanek signing (it sounded like it was a move he'd be stupid not to make, not one he was excited about), I'd say if he showed up in camp and overwhelmed the staff, he could make the team. Deserved or not, I think they're looking to dump PC. Why the rumors saying they were supposedly speaking to Allison & Arnott?

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Karamahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johpers View Post
Soderberg is a very good center for his age (You can compare him with Mats Sundin)..
You can if you´re mentally insane

Karamahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 09:14 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamahti View Post
let's see, one guy is from Sweden and has probably seen Soderberg play and the other guy is from Texas and has, I'm guessing, never seen Soderberg skate. So no offense, Tex, but I'll trust the Swede's opinion over yours, thanks.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 09:17 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Soderberg has been drawing Sundin comparrisons since before he was drafted.

How about you actually learn about the prospect before you start talking smack like that?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Of all the kids coming up through the pipeline....I'm most excited about Soderberg. We haven't had a big, gifted centerman in quite sometime. He might not put up a ton of points....but it sounds as if he does everything well.

Johnson, Oshie, Schwarz and even Berglund may prove to be more talented....But Soderberg should be an eqully important piece of the Blues future. He can play in any situation, win key face-offs, control the play with puck-handling and play-making, has a good shot and mobility, and great size to boot. I'll definately be taking a roadie to Peoria to see Soderberg, Shkotov, Backes and the rest.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Karamahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
let's see, one guy is from Sweden and has probably seen Soderberg play and the other guy is from Texas and has, I'm guessing, never seen Soderberg skate. So no offense, Tex, but I'll trust the Swede's opinion over yours, thanks.
Currently working in Texas and being from Texas are two different things. I´ve seen my fair share of Söderberg and as much as I would looooove to have a second coming of Sundin playing for my favourite team, CS is not even close to Sundins level at the same stage of their careers. It doesn´t mean that he´s not going to be a very good player though. But let´s wait and see what happens in a next couple of years before deciding who´s talking "smack"

Old
08-27-2006, 11:42 AM
trublu16

From the moment that the Blues took Soderberg in the 2nd round, and seeing him at the WJC a few years back. I have though of one player who can pass, and control the game in the offensive zone. I do belive that we have what could be considered as the second coming of Doug Weight, but Soderberg will put the puck in the back of the net. And all this Mats Sundin comparison, , i don't get. Just because we draft abig Swede centerman, he is suppose to be Sundin. I just don't get. Soderberg will be a 20g 60-80a guy on a yearly basis. We have doug Weight jr plain and simple.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:09 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Currently working in Texas and being from Texas are two different things. I´ve seen my fair share of Söderberg and as much as I would looooove to have a second coming of Sundin playing for my favourite team, CS is not even close to Sundins level at the same stage of their careers. It doesn´t mean that he´s not going to be a very good player though. But let´s wait and see what happens in a next couple of years before deciding who´s talking "smack"
I never said anyone was talking 'smack.' I just said that I'd trust a guy from Sweden to judge a Swedish player who he's seen play more than a guy who had a "Ft.Worth, Texas" location next to him name.
The Soderberg/Sundin comparison has been made plenty of times before by people more informed than you.

Old
08-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Karamahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
I never said anyone was talking 'smack.' I just said that I'd trust a guy from Sweden to judge a Swedish player who he's seen play more than a guy who had a "Ft.Worth, Texas" location next to him name.
The Soderberg/Sundin comparison has been made plenty of times before by people more informed than you.
So you say a random swede knows a guy playing second tier hockey better than the rest of the world just because he/she happens to live in a same country? Interesting theory...
If you really think he´s gonna be a 40g 100pts guy, fine. I say that´s not gonna happen. Or does "The Soderberg/Sundin comparison " mean that they are both big pivots coming from the same country?

Last edited by Karamahti*: 08-27-2006 at 01:42 PM. Reason: edit: btw, I just noticed it was kimzey suggesting I was talking smack, not you. My mistake. Sincere apologies.
Old
08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
From the moment that the Blues took Soderberg in the 2nd round, and seeing him at the WJC a few years back. I have though of one player who can pass, and control the game in the offensive zone. I do belive that we have what could be considered as the second coming of Doug Weight, but Soderberg will put the puck in the back of the net. And all this Mats Sundin comparison, , i don't get. Just because we draft abig Swede centerman, he is suppose to be Sundin. I just don't get. Soderberg will be a 20g 60-80a guy on a yearly basis. We have doug Weight jr plain and simple.
Point-wise, he may end up being comparable to Weight, but I don't see many other similarities between the two.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 06:10 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
So you say a random swede knows a guy playing second tier hockey better than the rest of the world just because he/she happens to live in a same country? Interesting theory...
If you really think he´s gonna be a 40g 100pts guy, fine. I say that´s not gonna happen. Or does "The Soderberg/Sundin comparison " mean that they are both big pivots coming from the same country?
we'll just have to wait and see how the kid develops.

Old
08-27-2006, 07:05 PM
StLooFrenchy

Jeeez!! I'll take 1/2 Sundin....let's try to heap some pressure on him, that will help him to succeed.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Plager05

Quote:
The comparison doesn't mean Soderberg will be a perenial 100 pt all-star, it means his playing style is similar to Sundin...

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Rez

Heh, how quickly Soderberg has gone from underrated to overrated on these boards.

He'll compete for a spot at camp. It's anyone's guess what happens if he doesn't make the team (which is highly likely).

Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Irish Blues

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=253762

Quote:
Originally Posted by johpers
I have seen Soderberg play hockey for many years in Malmo. Experts in Sweden say that Soderberg is the best player born 1985 this season.The Experts compare Soderberg with Mats Sundin and i agree they play in the same way.
I'm just saying ...

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote