HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carl Soderberg

Old
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05 View Post
The comparison doesn't mean Soderberg will be a perenial 100 pt all-star, it means his playing style is similar to Sundin...

what he said. playing styles are similar, doesn't mean soderberg will be a swedish hockey icon for the next 15 years. but hey, more power to him if he does go that route.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
StLooFrenchy

Why would anyone want to compare Sods to Sundin? Where has Mats taken his team? Wait a minute, I have the answer, I just set my beer on it: NOWHERE! Let Carl be his own player, don't project your own designs upon him. Let him go, he will GROW!!! He will be a good 2ND LINE CENTER, MAYBE A 1ST'ER....WHO KNOWS. If he becomes a great 3rd, thats coool too. Sundin as a role model? I hope not. All that skill and no balls.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Karamahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Sundin as a role model? I hope not. All that skill and no balls.
As a Finn I´m supposed to dislike every swedish player but saying that he´s got no balls is an insult. It´s not his fault that the Leafs have sucked resently, he has been a great captain and their leader on and off the ice for years. Just look what he has accomplished with the swedish national team and you see that what a great player, and most of all, what a great person he truly is.

Last edited by Karamahti*: 09-02-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Karamahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
StLooFrenchy

Sorry, I meant no offense to him personally, I just get overboard sometimes. What I meant to say is, while he is very skilled, he never seems to perform at a higher level like, say, fellow Swede Forsberg. In my opinion, THAT is what seperates truly great players from good ones. And I feel Mats is a good one. He just isn't the kind of player that makes his whole team better.

Old
09-01-2006, 04:37 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Sorry, I meant no offense to him personally, I just get overboard sometimes. What I meant to say is, while he is very skilled, he never seems to perform at a higher level like, say, fellow Swede Forsberg. In my opinion, THAT is what seperates truly great players from good ones. And I feel Mats is a good one. He just isn't the kind of player that makes his whole team better.
Dude, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but Sundin is mroe than just a "good" player. Stats wise you can argue he's had a much better career than Forsberg, obviously he doesn't have the Stanley Cups that Forsberg does, but then again Forsberg also had a supporting cast of Sakic, Roy, Hejduk, Ray Bourque, Rob Blake, etc. That's 3 hall of famers and two perennial all-stars. Sundin's been on some mediocre Leafs teams over the years and uh...let's just say the supporting cast hasn't been nearly as good as Forsberg's.

Not to mention Sundin actually stays healthy, and is a playoff warrior too, 4 points in 83 games, again on some mediocre teams. If Soderberg becomes anything close to Sundin, we'd be very lucky.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
tamadewings

Sundin and his Shnutz

Toronto, and Canadians in general, aren't exactly known for idolizing cream puffs or guys who disappear in the playoffs. Everyone in Toronto loves Sundin, so I would say he must have shown some intestinal fortitude at some point...

tamadewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Wovenhand76

Regarding Söderberg. This is a very nice interview with him done by a Swedish Blues' supporter. http://www.svenskafans.com/nhl/artikel.asp?id=131284.

Now, this is in Swedish. But some of you use to like playing with the translator programs, so?

Some interesting stuff:

He's no agreement with the Blues that he'll return to Malmö right away if he doesn't make the Blues' opening roster. However, he says that if he doesn't like it in AHL he's got the rigth to return to Malmö for one more season.

He hopes to make the opening roster though, and believes that he has a big chance doing so.

He followed the Blues and the Sharks as a youngster, because he liked the logos

Wovenhand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 07:54 AM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Dude, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but Sundin is mroe than just a "good" player. Stats wise you can argue he's had a much better career than Forsberg, obviously he doesn't have the Stanley Cups that Forsberg does, but then again Forsberg also had a supporting cast of Sakic, Roy, Hejduk, Ray Bourque, Rob Blake, etc. That's 3 hall of famers and two perennial all-stars. Sundin's been on some mediocre Leafs teams over the years and uh...let's just say the supporting cast hasn't been nearly as good as Forsberg's.

Not to mention Sundin actually stays healthy, and is a playoff warrior too, 4 points in 83 games, again on some mediocre teams. If Soderberg becomes anything close to Sundin, we'd be very lucky.
I think i am being taken wrong here. I"m not saying that Mats is a mediocre player, and I would be extatic if Sods came anywhere near him. I am saying that I don't think Sundinis in the same class as Sakic, Nieuwedyk, Scott Stevens, guys that make their teammates better. I understand that they all had a better suporting cast, and that the Loafs suck. I feel Sunds has uber elite skills, but is not an uber elite player. If Soderberg becomes half of him, I would be glad.

Old
09-02-2006, 12:08 PM
2ForRoughing*

alas, a good discussion of Soderberg has devolved into a discussion of Mats Sundin...
Back to Soderberg: it'd be nice to get more opinions from those who have seen him play. It's going to be great to have him over on this side of the pond this year (hopefully) so we can evaluate him firsthand and see if he's a potential 1st line center or what. From what I've heard there are no major weaknesses to his game, that his skating, shot, instincts and heart are all solid and reasonably NHL-quality. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a taste of the NHL this year. If nothing else I hope he succeeds in the AHL to the tune of a near point per game season, which isn't an unreasonable expectation given that he's not a totally green kid who hasn't played against men before.
Peoria's team should be just as interesting to Blues fans this year as the Blues themselves.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Teus

Looking forward to hear some reports from you guys on how he does in camp, when it starts.

Hopefully he becomes the first forward from the Malmö organization, that succeed in the NHL.

Teus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:37 PM
johpers

http://sydsvenskan.se/sport/article181849.ece
This article is in Swedish
Mats Näslund dosn´t like the situation for the national swedish team this season since many of the young promising players are leaving Sweden for NHL and one of the players he mentioned was Carl Söderberg. Näslund said that Soderberg was one of the players they wanted to test in Ceska Cup but Söderberg was not available because he is leaving for S.t Louis within a few days.

johpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 03:50 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I haven't seen him play, but my buddy has and loves his game.I think the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round and not the first will pretty much indicate that other teams considered other players as having more talent...

Still a 2nd round selection for a big kid, who can skate and has a nice skill package is still saying alot.

I certainly hope he comes to camp and surprises everyone, but perhaps in the long run a season in the AHL as a club leader would be better than an NHL season as a 4th liner.

You also have to love the other swedish center in the program, in berglund.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I haven't seen him play, but my buddy has and loves his game.I think the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round and not the first will pretty much indicate that other teams considered other players as having more talent...

Still a 2nd round selection for a big kid, who can skate and has a nice skill package is still saying alot.

I certainly hope he comes to camp and surprises everyone, but perhaps in the long run a season in the AHL as a club leader would be better than an NHL season as a 4th liner.

You also have to love the other swedish center in the program, in berglund.
One shouldn't look at what round a player was drafted to dictate his carear.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Wabalou

Carl Soderberg

How does he look so far? Do you think he's gonna make the team? Whats his potentiel?

Thanks in advance!

Wab

Wabalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabalou View Post
How does he look so far? Do you think he's gonna make the team? Whats his potentiel?

Thanks in advance!

Wab
off to Peoria, it appears http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/transactions

St. Louis Blues Assigned centers Cam Keith and Carl Soderberg, right wing Jon DiSalvatore and left wing Peter Sejna to Peoria of the American Hockey League.

Predatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 05:12 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabalou View Post
Whats his potentiel?

Thanks in advance!

Wab
Top-End Potential: 1st line center(Poor man's Sundin)

Realistically: Very Good Second Line Center(think Nedved in terms of points: 25-30 goals/ 60-70 points)

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Sounded like Soderberg and Kahnberg played really well last night. He'll be back at some point this season. I just hope that when he does come up it's in a situation where he can produce not playing with Mayers and Johnson. I like the idea of keeping D.J King up here to add some toughness because if we rely on Brewer, Jackman, and Tkachuk it's only a matter of time before one of them goes down again. This situation may be what keeps Matt Walker up here until Backman and McKee come back. Polak sounds like a real surpriser who could stick around.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 01:10 AM
EL Bandito

Send a message via MSN to EL Bandito
Apparently, according to Jeremy Rutherford, Soderberg is thinking hard on going back to Sweden this season rather than playing in Peoria. He has his girlfriend in town and is apparently homesick.

I hope he stays and gets used to the NHL style of game. I think going back to play at home will set him back slightly, or lets just put it like this...with a full season in the AHL, IMO, he'll have more of a chance of sticking with the Blues in 07 rather than playing in Sweden this year.

Just thought I'd pass along the info.

Chris

EL Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Irish Blues

JR says that Soderberg notified Mike Kitchen today that he was going back to Sweden. Recall that Soderberg apparently had an "out" clause in his contract that allowed him to return if he didn't make the NHL roster.

We'll see him in a year. It's not as big a deal as the usual parrots would like to squawk about it being.

09-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

sounds like he's going back to Sweden.....certainly not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to get him acclimated to the North American game sooner, rather than later. Just out of curiosity....when does the Malmo season end? If it's a short season like the NCAA's perhaps we could bring him over in March/April and give him a couple of games in the big show, to motivate him to stay here for 07/08...

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Teus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
Just out of curiosity....when does the Malmo season end? If it's a short season like the NCAA's perhaps we could bring him over in March/April and give him a couple of games in the big show, to motivate him to stay here for 07/08...
February 26 at earliest and like mid-April if Malmö goes far in the playoffs or has to play in the qualification league to stay in SEL.

Old
09-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Plager05

Not a big deal, he'll be in peoria next year for sure. a year in the SEL at 20 isn't going to ****** any prospects growth.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Teus

Söderberg said the following to the local paper here:

"I don't want to play in the AHL, then I rather move back home and play in the SEL, it's better for my development."

"They probably were shocked when I said that I wanted to go home right away and claimed that I should play 20 games first, but I think they will give in."

Old
09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
bloom

I'm not really happy about him going back to Sweden. The good thing is that SHL has adopted similar rules as the NHL (that's my understanding at least) on e.g interference. Also a positive thing that he'll play at a new level against skilled player (many at AHL level and some even better than that). If he could get som international experience next spring it would also be a great thing. BTW, I don't think SHL players can leave for NHL after the season the way collageplayer can, anyone who knows for sure?

Cons, well. Staying would create some chemistry between the next generation of Blues player and also give him opportunities to get ice time in the NHL when injuries hits the club. The "north american" game is different but for some reason forwards seems to get into the game much easier than keepers and def.

bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
SIU LAW

I personally find this to be a very aggravating situation. Despite some arguments that this is not a “big deal,” I disagree for a few reasons.

- It is apparent that Soderberg has skill. However, it is also obvious that he needs to adapt to the “North American” game. That is not going to happen in Sweden.

- Quite frankly, Soderberg needs to learn the English language. While nothing will prevent him from doing that in Sweden, I think it is unlikely he will study up while in Sweden. The language barrier was an…issue is too strong a word…but was a hindrance in Michigan during the prospect tournament. Because of the language barrier, Backes, for example, could not describe and plan a simple faceoff strategy with fellow line mate Soderberg.

- Soderberg needs to be here with Backes, Birner and ect. These guys are hopefully the “next wave” of Blues and need to be growing/gelling together in Peoria.

- Soderberg signed a contract, a commitment, this past summer. He is now walking away from it, and is a black mark on his character. Not a big deal you say? I guarantee it is a big deal to Jarmo. When I get a chance to put it up, you will see that he did not like Kana’s decision to back out of a commitment (assuming he actually did commit, more on that in the blog).

- Related to the commitment issue, Soderberg has potentially put Peoria in a difficult position. They/the Blues signed him early this summer. Look at the center depth. We are missing some skill there now. Perhaps Peoria/St. Louis would have made other arrangements or an acquisition if they knew Soderberg was going to return to Sweden.

Hopefully, this is just a bump in the road (ala Schwarz) and not a longtime absence from the organization.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote