HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Comer to the forum, Slats, and Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 11:01 PM
theoilers

vCash: 500
New Comer to the forum, Slats, and Oilers

Hello,

Thought I would finally join the HF Oilers forum considering all the snow in Toronto we have and I can't go anywhere this evening.

Huge Oilers fan living in Toronto. Have been to Edmonton this year during the Heritage CLassic weekend and loved the city. I was 2-1 that week. We beat the Hawks and Leafs but lost to the Habs at the outdoor game. Met a lot of the Oilers management staff in Edmonton and TOronto during NHL meetings and the 2002 draft.

First class organization and it starts with Pat Laforge all the way down. Kevin L and Patrick L are great hockey people who love the city of Edmonton and the Oilers unlike other NHL executives like Bill Wirtz, Richard Peddie, Michael Eisner, etc.

My two cents / thoughts:

Slats: I think he is coaching (don't curse at me).........reason he is coaching this year............TO GET HIS 500th win. He was at 476 when the season started and only a few more away before he gets to that "magical" 500. Getting 500 wins puts you in the all time greats and I'm sure Slats wanted that 500th win becuase if he doesn't make the playoffs...........He's toast but he has his millions and Banff and Plam Springs home and 500 wins

Kevin Lowe: great job with the team and don't fault him one bit. His goal, to get to 2004 with a budget and financial responsibilites for a team in his market and also marketing the team........I'll give him 3/3 for those factos considering 37 owners who paid out of their pocket and have a debt with the team....considering Edmonton lucky to have an NHL team becuase Winnipeg really wants an NHL team.

2004 draft: Will be worth watching but questions is if / when they get signed and will they grandfather the CBA. If they do, then Lowe has to dish out loads of $$ to sign his 2 first rounders. As John C said, 4 picks in the top 60 - that's exciting but hopefully they get signed under new CBA deal becuase these contracts are expensive for small markets...as we found out with Mike Comrie.

Depth: I see Lowe acquiring loads of pick.........guess he learned some things from Lou Lomreillo (best GM in the league) or asked his advice as Lou always does this and has draft picks ready to play or deal

Salo: really struggled and not the same since 2002 Olympics.......he won't shake that off but does he realize he has a contract to play for next year (option years or complete free agent)..........think he knows he will be back in Sweden and it'll be a long lockout so he'll be back in Sweden with his family.

Old
01-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
Hello,

Thought I would finally join the HF Oilers forum considering all the snow in Toronto we have and I can't go anywhere this evening.

Huge Oilers fan living in Toronto. Have been to Edmonton this year during the Heritage CLassic weekend and loved the city. I was 2-1 that week. We beat the Hawks and Leafs but lost to the Habs at the outdoor game. Met a lot of the Oilers management staff in Edmonton and TOronto during NHL meetings and the 2002 draft.

First class organization and it starts with Pat Laforge all the way down. Kevin L and Patrick L are great hockey people who love the city of Edmonton and the Oilers unlike other NHL executives like Bill Wirtz, Richard Peddie, Michael Eisner, etc.

My two cents / thoughts:

Slats: I think he is coaching (don't curse at me).........reason he is coaching this year............TO GET HIS 500th win. He was at 476 when the season started and only a few more away before he gets to that "magical" 500. Getting 500 wins puts you in the all time greats and I'm sure Slats wanted that 500th win becuase if he doesn't make the playoffs...........He's toast but he has his millions and Banff and Plam Springs home and 500 wins

Kevin Lowe: great job with the team and don't fault him one bit. His goal, to get to 2004 with a budget and financial responsibilites for a team in his market and also marketing the team........I'll give him 3/3 for those factos considering 37 owners who paid out of their pocket and have a debt with the team....considering Edmonton lucky to have an NHL team becuase Winnipeg really wants an NHL team.

2004 draft: Will be worth watching but questions is if / when they get signed and will they grandfather the CBA. If they do, then Lowe has to dish out loads of $$ to sign his 2 first rounders. As John C said, 4 picks in the top 60 - that's exciting but hopefully they get signed under new CBA deal becuase these contracts are expensive for small markets...as we found out with Mike Comrie.

Depth: I see Lowe acquiring loads of pick.........guess he learned some things from Lou Lomreillo (best GM in the league) or asked his advice as Lou always does this and has draft picks ready to play or deal

Salo: really struggled and not the same since 2002 Olympics.......he won't shake that off but does he realize he has a contract to play for next year (option years or complete free agent)..........think he knows he will be back in Sweden and it'll be a long lockout so he'll be back in Sweden with his family.
Welcome, and good first post.

This is a really cool board with excellent posters. I usually come here first before I go anywhere else.

Old
01-28-2004, 12:23 AM
LawnDemon

welcome to the board... i'm the resident postal worker. nice to meet you.

Old
01-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
Hello,

My two cents / thoughts:

Hello.

We're all quite mad, you know...

Old
01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Hello.

We're all quite mad, you know...
that's your opinion...

no it's not...

it's mine...

yes?

no.

stop it.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:13 AM
Cerebral

Welcome to the boards! Just look out for anyone with the word Hemsky in their name, they're generally crazy..

Old
01-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Oilers Hockey

^He's right you know. I'm a total spaz.

Welcome to the boards...although we're pretty miserable nowadays.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:37 AM
momentai

Welcome. I think this is one of the two best boards you can find out there on the internet for the Oilers. (this and Oilfans)

Old
01-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Welcome. I think this is one of the two best boards you can find out there on the internet for the Oilers. (this and Oilfans)
Oilfans is one of the most negative boards on the internet.

01-28-2004, 04:01 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Oilfans is one of the most negative boards on the internet.
So? That doesn't necessarily preclude them from having a loyal following and intelligent posters. You may have to sift through the negativity but often times there's a lot truth in there even if it is exaggerated.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
welcome to the board... i'm the resident postal worker. nice to meet you.
Yes, welcome, and I would be one of the elder statesmen, and hopefully part of the voices of reason sect.(Although I have a soapbox handy when needed.)

Nice first post and we look forward to hearing from Tarawna.(And btw, snow is fine. We will trade you for the -45 with the windchill )

Old
01-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Nice first post and we look forward to hearing from Tarawna.(And btw, snow is fine. We will trade you for the -45 with the windchill )
You mean -45 WITHOUT the wind chill.

Stupid Elk Point. My poor '03 Intrepid is NOT liking this weather.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:49 PM
oilswell

Welcome theoilers. Interesting speculation re: Slats. I more or less agree with your #2 and #3 points, although knowing these two tidbits doesn't make watching the current on-ice and bench buffoonery any easier.

Old
01-29-2004, 01:06 AM
theoilers

thanks..

Good to be on board talking with other passionate Oiler people!

Old
01-29-2004, 04:14 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
^He's right you know. I'm a total spaz.

Welcome to the boards...although we're pretty miserable nowadays.
No.... I am spaz. Of forget it. Welcome to the boards.

Closed Thread