HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Stick Question

Old
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
The Goaltending Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Goalie Stick Question

I am right handed and will be holding the stick in my right hand and wearing the glove in my left hand. 2 weeks ago I went to a sporting goods store and bought a Rbk 5k Martin Brodeur goalie stick that is a left-handed stick I'm told (the blade of the stick curves away from me). I had thought that I got the wrong stick, so I took it back and I went to specifically a hockey shop and started looking at goalie sticks where the blade curves TOWARDS me. The kid at the hockey shop started to chuckle when I told him that I thought I should be using that one, because since I'm right-handed I would have more power backhanding pucks away. He then confirmed that the stick that I had gotten before was the correct stick to be using, so I went back down the street to the sporting goods store that I initially went to and was able to get my original stick back....

Do I want my goalie stick to have the blade curving towards me or away from me?

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
You want it curving away from you... You may be right handed, but learn to shoot lefty.

Maybe "The Goaltending Guru" isn't an appropriate user text...

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:13 PM
MikeD

You could technically use either. However, having the stick curved inward creates blocking and redirection problems. Litte control of redirects with the stick is very likely. It also forces you to use the catch glove at the knob of the stick. While you might have a more natural back hand feel, on the forehand you will be weakend greatly. Also, when you would poke check, the reverse curve of the stick would only give coverage at the heel and toe of the blad. A puck can easily slip under.

learn to use the catch as the fulcrom of your shot. The stick will come into the clove starting at the palm break and the middle of your gloves pocket, folded into a V over the stick shaft. Some will have the pocket towards the paddle and others have it pointed to the top of the stick. Your method of shooting is up to you. I believe if you search TURCO you will find video n his mthod of shooting, which has the glove pocket upward.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote