HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What you think WILL happen at deadline.

Old
02-05-2008, 01:35 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
If the Rangers are moving Malik--like I expect they will then moving a Tyutin or a Girardi also in a deal for Hossa is going to play havoc with their blueline. I don't see that happening. The Rangers are going to need to hang on to Tyutin, Girardi and Staal no matter what.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 02:01 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If the Rangers are moving Malik--like I expect they will then moving a Tyutin or a Girardi also in a deal for Hossa is going to play havoc with their blueline. I don't see that happening. The Rangers are going to need to hang on to Tyutin, Girardi and Staal no matter what.
This should be common knowledge among Ranger fans. To let any of those 3 go right now would be absurd, and make this team very, very, very difficult to root for. So I agree.

I see Monty going, Hossa or Prucha going (knowing Renney, it's Prucha, though I will NEVER give up on him), and Malik going.

And of course bringing in a D man would be wonderful. If he can skate better than Strudwick it is also a plus

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Kostik

I think slight upgrade on D will happen.
Sather will most likely not overpay for Sundin, Hossa, Blake etc.

Malik + Callahan for Liles?

or

Montoya + Baranka for Boyle
(Malik moved for pick)

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Souray joins the Rangers at the deadline, along with a 3rd rounder. Malik, Prucha, and Montoya go the other way. Not that I am hoping for that to happen, but just a scenerio that I could see happening.
Is that before or after Souray has season ending shoulder surgery?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
avery16*

souray still has four years left on his deal at 5.4 million a year, he really isnt even that good..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Straka goes to Colorado for Liles
Hella no

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The reason i mentioned Forsberg, Liles, and Ryder is because i don't believe Sather will mortgage the future on rent-a-players.

He obviously knows guys like Hossa can be had in the off-season without sacrificing good young players.

So, i think he will look for moves that really only require the likes of Malik, Callahan, and B-level prospects.

I don't think he will sacrifice a first round pick either, this is a DEEP draft coming up, and he pulled off a coup getting Cherepanov last year, he could wind up grabbing Filatov or another really highly regarded draftee.

So, where does that leave him with options? Unless he manages to finagle the crap out of another GM.

Ryder and Liles are having bad years to their standards yes. BUT they ARE good players and are just having down years. A change of scenery could help them, but they will most definitely get back to their typical selves sooner or later. Ryder is a perennial 30 goal scorer. I highly doubt in one season he just falls off the map. But the guy was scratched for the Rangers game, apparently Montreal is having enough of him. Maybe they would take on Prucha (who will never be used properly in the Rangers organization) and give him the ice time he needs to produce, while the Rangers get a guy with a little more size and a history of prolific goal scoring.

Liles for Malik, GMs DO value Malik. He is a puck moving defenseman, and he really is not as bad as we in New York make him out to be. With Liles struggling this season perhaps his price tag dropped. He is 27 years old, and although is not big, can provide a little more punch on the power play.

The Forsberg thing, i am usually against this kind of signing. But i see the upside to signing him. You don't sacrifice personnel, and you instantly improve the POTENTIAL of your offense, and add depth ON PAPER. It is a high risk/high reward type of signing. But the little mummerings going around of him wanting spotlight as well as a winning environment... well perhaps having Jagr, Drury, Gomez, Shanahan, and Lundqvist would be enough for Sather to entice him.

I wouldn't be VERY upset with it, but i would definitely not be upset if he didn't sign here. Im indifferent towards it. Only because he doesn't take away any young guys spot this year.

Plus, you have to take into account the cap.

With our roughly 2.5 mil available free cap space...

Prucha and Liles contracts are a wash.
Ryder and Malik contracts are a wash.

That leaves possibly enough space to sign Forsberg.

To me, for some reason, the moves just makes sense.

Weather or not i want them is a different story. But i feel Sather will do at least something similar...ASSUMING we are still in this thing in 2 weeks.

If the Rangers fall off in 2 weeks time. Perhaps Sather will sell the vet UFAs for young commodities. Which we all know, i feel is the smarter move in the long run.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
blue2noise

We need a nasty D-Man. Remember Komisarek punching and torturing Jagr? I Can't see any of our D-men doing it now. Get a D-man witha mean streak and we are good.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
no major deals. I think a small move like Malik for a small time Dman...if any big trades are gona go down with the Rangers, Montoya is going to be involved.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:09 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
We need a nasty D-Man. Remember Komisarek punching and torturing Jagr? I Can't see any of our D-men doing it now. Get a D-man witha mean streak and we are good.
Wow, I was just looking at the guys stats and noticed he's almost 250 lbs and 6'-4. He's bigger than Jagr!

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:12 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Wow, I was just looking at the guys stats and noticed he's almost 250 lbs and 6'-4. He's bigger than Jagr!
He's a beast of a d man, really. Star stud for Montreal.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Bretzky*

I think there's about a 30% chance the Rangers will sign Forsberg.

I hope it happens.

Straka Gomez Jagr
Drury Forsberg Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Dawes
Hollweg Betts Orr

Staal Rozsival
Tyutin Girardi
Mara Strudwick

Lundqvist
Valliquette

Two REALLY strong top lines. An above average 3rd line. Very good 4th line. Up and coming top 4. Solid and gritty bottom pairing. World-class goalie.

I'd be extremely content with that lineup going into the playoffs, and any upgrade we can make on defense without giving up draft picks or youth would be great as well. Notice Prucha isn't in that lineup, so maybe we end up moving him for a minor defensive upgrade.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Maloney in Yoteland is still a concern.

Jovo at the deadline is very much still a possibility.
jovo still has like 3-4 years left on his deal so being the deadline doesn't make a deal for him anymore likely then it was over the summer

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I think slight upgrade on D will happen.
Me too, but I think even a slight upgrade costs the Rangers something they'd rather not give up.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Me too, but I think even a slight upgrade costs the Rangers something they'd rather not give up.
the rangers have PLENTY of assets that they can afford to give up. if you look at the age of some of the players already in ny, plus all the guys in hartford and the guys on the way there is zero chance of them all playing in ny. even if by some miracle every single one of them pans out unless the rosters expand to 50 players they won't all end up in ny...

there are a few guys that would be off limits, but there are also a bunch of guys that you might not be thrilled about dealing individually but when you factor in that we have 6-7 similar guys in the organization moving 1 or 2 in the right deal is no big deal.

Old
02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Shanny and a pick go to the Flames for Tangauy.
Straka goes to Colorado for Liles

Love the Tanguay Trade.

Hate the Straka Trade

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
This should be common knowledge among Ranger fans. To let any of those 3 go right now would be absurd, and make this team very, very, very difficult to root for. So I agree.
Not True at all. To see Staal go would be absurd. But not Girardi or Tyutin, as long as we get either a young great forward or a younger #1 or even a #2 dman. By young I mean under 28. People really overrate Girardi and Tyutin. They are not stud Dmen. They never will be. Tyutin is at best a a good #3. Girardi at best is a good #4. Tyutin has potential to grow. I think Girardi has reached his potential and don't really see him get that much better.

Truthfully I would love for the Rangers to try to Make a blockbuster deal w/ Florida to try to pry away Bouwmeester who I think is better than both.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Fletch

Considering...

this team is Jekyll and Hyde, it's nearly impossible to say what WILL happen at the deadline. Right now, Sather doesn't know, so for me, or us, to predict is quite difficult. This team can go on a run and begin vying for first place in the division by the time the deadline rolls around, or it can hang around the 8th spot.

I do think the Rangers will be fighting for a playoff spot and thus there will not be any type of 'firesale'. I think he will look to move Malik. The reason being is his actions this season, meaning the friction with the coach, make me believe it's unlikely he will come back next season and since a good deal of games have been played without him, he is somewhat expendable. The scary part is that Struds and Mara aren't any better, but Malik may have the most value of the three.

If Malik goes, I wouldn't be surprised if Sather looks for a rental defenseman; an upgrade over Strudwick. Who goes to get that, I really don't know. All of Dawes, Cally and Prucha, I believe, are not long for this team. There are a number of defensemen who likely won't get a chance to play on broadway (say zero to one of Baranka, Sauer and Potter).

I don't think any big names will be coming here, and everything kind of hinges on the health of the players. Injuries, or lack thereof, will affect Sather's thinking on the moves.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I can't see anything big happening. They need to prepare for their cap situation next season (which means Forsberg is not an option if indeed he's looking for a two year deal). I can see Malik going for a pick or similar player (expiring contract). This team will be hard-pressed to add a lot of salary.

02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think the picture will be much clearer next Monday. If we can get 6 of 8 points in the next 4 games, I don't see us doing much. If we tank it again, I see us selling. I really don't see us as buying at this trade deadline.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
there are a few guys that would be off limits, but there are also a bunch of guys that you might not be thrilled about dealing individually but when you factor in that we have 6-7 similar guys in the organization moving 1 or 2 in the right deal is no big deal.
I guess it depends on how hot the market is for defenseman. If the top guys are bringing an absolute king's ransom, then I can absolutely see an "off limits" player or high pick being exchanged for a solid 2nd pairing guy, primarily because that team is going to have to take Malik back to clear cap room.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I guess it depends on how hot the market is for defenseman. If the top guys are bringing an absolute king's ransom, then I can absolutely see an "off limits" player or high pick being exchanged for a solid 2nd pairing guy, primarily because that team is going to have to take Malik back to clear cap room.
There always seems to be a market for defensemen.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
NYR469

Quote:
well obviously we have to be smart about things and make offers 'within reason'...just because we have the assets that doesn't mean we should be giving them up for a medicore player. but my point is simply that IF the right deal does arise we do have the depth and talent to get the deal done without damaging the future in the process.

Old
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
NYR Viper

i ahev said it before...if the rangers can sign forseberg, i would trade shanny.....

lines of:

jagr-gomez-straka
drury-forseberg-dawes
avery-dubinsky-prucha
callahan-betts-hollweg

for the playoffs

i think a trade of shanny for a high pick and then the signing of forseberg would be a better trade and he doesnt cost as much, which means less would roll over

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why would the Rangers want Jovo?32 years old and has 3 years remaining on his contract at a cap charge $6.5 million per.Some people don't want to give Lundqvist $6.5 million per and the Rangers are going to commit $6.5 million to Jovo.

Why would Phoenix move Jovo?The team is currently in the 8th playoff spot and just 2 points out of 5th in the west.Making the playoffs would be huge for that franchise which is still struggling to establish themselves in the Phoenix market with the Suns,D-Backs,Cardinals and the two big schools out there.

Why would Jovo waive his NTC?He just purchased a $4 million home in Arizona.The Coyotes are a competitive team with a reasonable chance of making the playoffs.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote