HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Rate Scott Howsen

View Poll Results: Grade Howsen
A 9 13.64%
B 33 50.00%
C 23 34.85%
D 0 0%
F 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Rate Scott Howsen

Oil fan here - looks like we have become trading partners. WEIRD .
How is former Oilers Assistant GM Scotty doing??

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Who's Scott Howsen?

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Imjustabill

It's too early to really give the guy a grade; he inherited quite a mess and still hasn't had enough time to make his mark on this organization. That said, I think he's done reasonably well with the resources at his disposal.

This coming offseason should go a long ways toward seeing the direction Scott wants to take the team. Let's revisit this next April and see what everyone thinks.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

I haven't voted yet but so far I'd say it's a B. I'm reserving my vote until after I hear how much Chimera was signed for.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I was going to vote A based on Voracek, Hejda, Peca. But signing Chimera for 4 years loses a grade.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I was going to vote A based on Voracek, Hejda, Peca. But signing Chimera for 4 years loses a grade.
I could've drafted Voracek (and would have too, dammit, if they'da hired me!), and the Peca signing was only a response to Svitov's departure - MP was available and wanted to play, and GMSH signed him. I can't give him much credit for that.

However, against my better judgment, I'm not going to downgrade him for a lack of significant activity. And like Waco, I'm tempted to say it's too early, but dude's been on the job long enough to have done something worth grading.

So - C. Average.

Old
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
FiveHole23

To early to tell. He has been almost hog tied by bad contracts.

Will be interesting see what he does from here on out.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Howson gets a solid B from me.

+ Peca w/ bonus-ladened contract was a good idea
+ Jan Hejda was a downright steal
+ Voracek was an easy choice but a good one

However, I reserve judgment at this point for

• The Chimera extension
• The Tarnstrom/Glenncross trade
• Legein, Weber, and Mayorov

Realistically, Howson will be a lot easier to grade after this year's off-season moves and re-signings.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
BZArcher

Why is Legein an uncertain move? I'd say he's looking like a bit of a steal for getting him in the second when he could easily have been a first rounder with the way he's played this year for the IceDogs and Team Canada.

I'd give him a B+ right now, I think Chimera was a little high, but at the same time, if the cap is going up, so will player salaries, so perhaps it was a chance to get him into a range -now- rather than when the higher cap drives up UFA prices later this summer.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Macster

Easy for me...A.

SIGNINGS
The Hejda, Novotny and Peca signings have all worked out great, especially considering the term and cap hit these three have. Hejda has been our most consistent defender, Novo is all-hussle and has been consistent as well. When healthy, Peca has contributed very nicely. More than Svitov would have IMO. Our record with him in the lineup says as much.

Beech was a disappointment, but only after being dominant in a handful of wins for us. For a depth signing, I'm not crying over this one.

DRAFT
Voracek was a no-brainer when it was our turn at the podium, but Legein and Weber are looking like extremely solid second rounders. Legein may even turn out to have a longer NHL career than half of the first rounders. Not only was Weber the first overall USHL pick, he'll also be heading to Miami, so Jacket fans can watch him develop right at home.

Trading for Mayorov was a gamble that could turn out to be a huge steal, based on the fact that many had Mayorov going in the first round. If Mayorov doesn't end up playing for us, then no big deal.

TRADES
The Crunch blueline was brutal early in the season, and Platt was doing nothing to earn time with Columbus, so he was moved to shore up the blueline. Both Rome and Wilson have had solid seasons since the trade, and Wilson was at the All Star Game last week.

It's too early to gauge the Glencross for Tarnstrom trade, but at first glance I think we win that deal. Glenner was a depth guy for us, and was a frequent healthy scratch. We had a need for a veteran puck-moving defenseman, and we got one in exchange for a spare part.

The writing was on the wall for Jody, to get anything at all in return for him is a bonus.

The only deal I haven't cared for is the Dupuis and Campbell for Rycroft move. Mainly because I am such a huge fan of Dupuis. I know however, that neither would have been re-signed and Rycroft adds experience to a young Crunch team.

I think he has done a fantastic job.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
A for me as well.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
CBJFreak

vCash: 300
Send a message via ICQ to CBJFreak
B from me

At least until I see if the Chimmer was a sign and trade deal. Chimera needs packaged up in a deal to get us a strong #2 center that can play as the #1 for the rest of the season..or actually going out and getting that #1 center. I still believe we can make the playoffs if we can get someone to center Nash that knows what the heck a tape to tape pass is!!

The other things he did to start this season is the reason for the B grade. Even stuck with the bad signings, he was able to go out and get pieces that really fit in this year and not overpay for them.

CBJFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

With regards to the Vorachek drafting:
He is tearing up the QMJHL, and seemed strong in the WJCs (although, statistically not that great). Would you have drafted Gagner ahead of Vorachek, knowing what you know now? Just out of curiosity.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I think Howson wanted Jakub all along, we had the chance to trade down a few spots with St Louis and get an extra pick, but Howson said 'no' and took Voracek.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
He is tearing up the QMJHL, and seemed strong in the WJCs (although, statistically not that great). Would you have drafted Gagner ahead of Vorachek, knowing what you know now? Just out of curiosity.
The CBJ HF guys had a poll prior to the draft and most felt Voracek was the best fit for us. Day 2 of the draft I spoke with Kyle Woodlief of Redline and he told me how lucky the Jaclets were. He had JV 2md on his list.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
blahblah

Solid B. He's done fine, not flashy. He's not taking many chances, so it's hard to get an A doing that. Well unless suddenly Novotny becomes a first line center and drops down about 40 points the rest of the year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
BZArcher

Re: Voracek vs. Gagner

No, I'd have kept Voracek. Gagner is playing well for Edmonton, but I don't think he'd be what we need for the future.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Matt

Chimera 1.9/year

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
That's tough. I love Sam's game. But the Jackets had drafted (purported) centers with their first pick two straight years.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Howson gets a solid B from me.

+ Peca w/ bonus-ladened contract was a good idea
+ Jan Hejda was a downright steal
+ Voracek was an easy choice but a good one

However, I reserve judgment at this point for

• The Chimera extension
• The Tarnstrom/Glenncross trade
• Legein, Weber, and Mayorov

Realistically, Howson will be a lot easier to grade after this year's off-season moves and re-signings.
hmm thats interesting..i love Legein and Weber, and think they are both SEVERELY underrated (same with Jake Hansen, he'll be a stud) and Mayorov may be overrated but whats wrong with getting an overrated guy in the 4th round?

until the Chimera contract I would have given an A. Forgetting his signings and draftees etc. his demeanor is the exact opposite of FGMDM, which is what we really needed. He knows his way around the cap and we wont be screwed in 3 years by salary (that is if we let go of Chimmer by then). He did the right thing with Brule, even though it was a little late

I didnt exactly agree with the GlenX trade, but i hope it sets us up for a big deal

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Well, there are ten "C" votes, I was one. I'd actually make it a C+ though. Hedja, Peca and Novotny where decent picks ups. The problem is those guys where not enough. I also like whatever he did with Zherdev during that little meeting they had over the summer. I'd like to do this poll again next December because I'd like to give a higher letter, but I can't right now.

I would have liked to have seen a top line center brought in here last summer.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
OUJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFreak View Post
At least until I see if the Chimmer was a sign and trade deal. Chimera needs packaged up in a deal to get us a strong #2 center that can play as the #1 for the rest of the season..or actually going out and getting that #1 center. I still believe we can make the playoffs if we can get someone to center Nash that knows what the heck a tape to tape pass is!!

The other things he did to start this season is the reason for the B grade. Even stuck with the bad signings, he was able to go out and get pieces that really fit in this year and not overpay for them.
I completely agree with what Macster said earlier regarding the same thing. If the Blue Jackets really wanted to part with Chimera or consider shopping him, this process would have carried on closer to the deadline. Since we are 2+ weeks away from the deadline, and he's signed a four-year deal for a good dollar, it's safe to say they value him on the team and want to keep him. The coach said as much on his radio show today.

OUJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
OUJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Well, there are ten "C" votes, I was one. I'd actually make it a C+ though. Hedja, Peca and Novotny where decent picks ups. The problem is those guys where not enough.I also like whatever he did with Zherdev during that little meeting they had over the summer. I'd like to do this poll again next December because I'd like to give a higher letter but can't do it right now.

I would have liked to have seen a top line center brought in here last summer.....

Agreed, but there's no way I'd be down for any of those players especially on those ridiculous contract terms. No thanks.

OUJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Would have been a B until the Chimera extension. Down to a C based on that...

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Would have been a B until the Chimera extension. Down to a C based on that...
When the Chimera thread came out I was shocked, but I stepped back and tried to understand the logic behind it. We all know the dude struggles with scoring but at least he goes all out every game, hits and that speed is awesome. I'm going to go with Hitch/Howson on this one. It might end up being a smart move.

But that signing did not impact my rating of Howson one way or another. It's to soon to judge.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote