HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Lightning @ Blues 2/5

Old
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
TrustInJarmo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Sadly, it's not even the big guns from Tampa that are doing all the damage.

2. As much as everyone's going to howl, Toivonen needs to go between the pipes for a little bit. Legace needs the break, and Toivonen needs the work - sticking him on the bench for the rest of the season because he's struggled the last few times out does nothing for him or the team.
I agree with both statements.

Perfect time to get Hannu the much needed work.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbluesfan44 View Post
Do you dare consider offers for Manny at the deadline? Sounds like blasphomy, but he is 35, has a balky knee, team mvp and first time all-star, and likely wont be around when the Blues are making what hopefully are sustained stanley cup runs. Sell high at the deadline?
I would. But I brought that up 3 months ago about trading Manny at this time...but no one seemed to like the idea.

He is only under contract one more year. Like you pointed out, he is 35.

I would be shocked if his stock remains this high, let alone gets higher next season.

I think there are two problems though:

1: Manny has not been playing good of late...so his stock might not be as high as say a month or two ago.

2: We have no backup ready to step up as of right now...I like Hannu's potential...but we would really have NOTHING, in terms of a starting NHL goalie, going into 2008-2009 if we dealt Manny in the coming weeks.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 02-06-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old
02-06-2008, 12:04 AM
rawrmachine

I'd gladly include Manny in a trade package to get Ray Emery.

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I would. But I brought that up 3 months ago about trading Manny at this time...but no one seemed to like the idea.
3 months ago our playoff hopes hinged on Manny. Now, our playoff hopes are clearly circling the bowl...

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
txbluesfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post

2: We have no backup ready to step up as of right now...I like Hannu's potential...but we would really have NOTHING, in terms of a starting NHL goalie, going into 2008-2009 if we dealt Manny in the coming weeks.
I was actually wondering if trading Manny for Karri Ramo might make some sense. Tampa is hot all of a sudden and not far off from winning their weak division, but have no consistent goaltending.

Ramo is another #1 type that is young and inconsistent as a 21 year old, but has a very bright future. If we believe the season is lost, let Ramo and Toivenen battle it out the rest of the season to see who emerges. Don't think TB would do this 1:1, but maybe, just maybe....

Last edited by txbluesfan44: 02-06-2008 at 08:12 AM.
txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:40 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
3 months ago our playoff hopes hinged on Manny. Now, our playoff hopes are clearly circling the bowl...
Your exactly right.

However, I was talking about trading no matter what happened with our playoff hopes.

If we are truly "rebuilding", than Manny will not be here in 3-5 years for a true Cup run. So what's the point? To stay competive for the next year and a 2 months, rather than get a great return on him?

I think most here would agree last fall that we were not making a Cup Run this year no matter what.

And I know everyone wanted to make the playoffs, including JD and management, but that isn't our main goal for this franchise.

So with that said, I would have wanted Manny traded and let Hannu see what he is capable of. If we make the playoffs great, Hannu gets that playoff experience and we get to see what kind of goalie he is in big games while we are rebuilding.

But like I said above, Reason #2 is the big reason why I don't think JD will move Manny. There is NO one ready to step up in net next year. And with JD being a goalie himself and realizing how important it is to have a great one in there, like Manny, I can NOT see him dealing Legace this year.

Old
02-06-2008, 08:42 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
I was actually wondering if trading Manny for Karri Ramo might make some sense. Tampa is hot all of a sudden and not far off from winning their weak division, but have no consistent goaltending.

Ramo is another #1 type that is young and inconsistent as a 21 year old, but has a very bright future. If we believe the season is lost, let Ramo and Toivenen battle it out the rest of the season to see who emerges. Don't think TB would do this 1:1, but maybe, just maybe....
I would be open to something like that. However, Tampa doesn't need Manny for a playoff run.

And I just can not see JD dealing Manny this year.

Old
02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
crackout

I think Mannys stock will still be high. He impressed at the all star game, and he is the main reason we are as high as we are. He has had a tough time of late (his save % is down way below .900 in the last 9 starts), but there are a number of reasons for that. I'd certainly be listening to offers, but I wouldn't be actively trying to shift him.

Toivonen does need time in net, his numbers aren't going to be any worse than what Manny has put up in his last 9 games, so I see no reason why anyone should have a problem with it. The only thing that is actually going to help Hannu though, is a proper run in the team. 6 or 7 games, then see where we are with him with respect to next season.

Right or wrong, the apparent lack of confidence in him over the past few weeks from the organisation is hardly going to help him.

crackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:

Tampa isn't trading Ramo, period. No way, no how.

If we really want a goalie, I'll throw a name out there for everyone to chew on: Ray Emery? Yes, he's got issues - but if he can get those under control [and I think the group in St. Louis can help him out with those], we've got a guy who backstopped the Senators to the Finals last year and has the potential to be a top-tier goalie. Or, he could be Brent Johnson II.

Deal Legace for Emery and something else from the Senators as a thank-you for (A) taking him off their hands since they don't want him, (B) opening up $3.5 million in cap space for the next 2 years, and (C) taking him off their hands since they don't want him.

02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
crackout

Quote:
Deal Legace for Emery and something else from the Senators as a thank-you for (A) taking him off their hands since they don't want him, (B) opening up $3.5 million in cap space for the next 2 years, and (C) taking him off their hands since they don't want him.
You think we could get Emery for Legace straight up?

crackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Tampa isn't trading Ramo, period. No way, no how.

If we really want a goalie, I'll throw a name out there for everyone to chew on: Ray Emery? Yes, he's got issues - but if he can get those under control [and I think the group in St. Louis can help him out with those], we've got a guy who backstopped the Senators to the Finals last year and has the potential to be a top-tier goalie. Or, he could be Brent Johnson II.

I would do it.

Even if he turns out to be Brent Johnson Jr....Emery has a better chance being in net for us when it really counts in 3 years.

Old
02-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackout View Post
You think we could get Emery for Legace straight up?
Emery's stock is at an all-time low. Legace's stock (although he's been bad recently) is high based on his year this year and all-star selection. He's also a stable presence for Ottawa to compete with Gerber. The knock is that Legace's playoff and big game reputation isn't the best (Especially if you ask Detroit fans). I think at this point we could get Emery + for Legace.

I just don't know if Emery is the right kind of move at all for this franchise. We're going to be a young team with a lot of young impressionable players. Do we really want Emery to have a strong voice in the lockerroom. Hell, after the trade of Weight, people have complained that we don't have strong enough leadership. Do we really want to bring Emery into a locker room where we don't have the older guys to keep him in check? It's a huge risk. Andy Murray may be able to control Emery, or Emery could drive Murray away.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
txbluesfan44

[QUOTE=Irish Blues;12372336]Tampa isn't trading Ramo, period. No way, no how.

If we really want a goalie, I'll throw a name out there for everyone to chew on: Ray Emery? QUOTE]

I actually had the same thought, but wondered if mgmt would want the headache. he's 25, has been great in the playoffs, and has a "reasonable" cap amount ($3.5M for the next three years) for a #1 goalie. Does OTT need Manny? Gerber seems to be their guy now....but I agree they are desperate to rid themselves of Emery.

txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Emery's stock is at an all-time low. Legace's stock (although he's been bad recently) is high based on his year this year and all-star selection. He's also a stable presence for Ottawa to compete with Gerber. The knock is that Legace's playoff and big game reputation isn't the best (Especially if you ask Detroit fans). I think at this point we could get Emery + for Legace.

I just don't know if Emery is the right kind of move at all for this franchise. We're going to be a young team with a lot of young impressionable players. Do we really want Emery to have a strong voice in the lockerroom. Hell, after the trade of Weight, people have complained that we don't have strong enough leadership. Do we really want to bring Emery into a locker room where we don't have the older guys to keep him in check? It's a huge risk. Andy Murray may be able to control Emery, or Emery could drive Murray away.
Valid point. Emery could have a bad influence on the young players coming up. Might be reason enough to shy away from that kind of trade.

But even if he drives Murray away, is that a bad thing for most here? I mean there have been many many posters, including yourself, on this boards complaining about Murray.

Old
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Glove side

Other than drafting a goalie, does anybody see us making a trade involving Manny for a goalie other than Emery. i.e.( Cristobal Huet/Carey Price).

I know it doesnt make much sense...but its just a suggestion.

feel free to add in you own trade possibility..

Glove side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
We BETTER win!

If we lose to TB I'm going to go out and hang myself.
anyone checked on Darb, lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Bluth
"Just look at what the homosexuals have done to me.
"Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!"

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Adam91

Would people call this Perron's best game of the season?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Would people call this Perron's best game of the season?
It's up there, if for no other reason than he got icetime. He's had more impressive goals, assists, moves, hits, defensive plays, etc. And some of them multiple times a game. But he was very solid through the whole game and looked like HE was the leader of the team near the end. In that way it was one of his better games, but he plays that well most of the time, honestly. It's just the line that gives him room and chances and the icetime to capitalize.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote