HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In a trade...

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 04:06 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
In a trade...

wat the heck are we going to give up? here we are, supposed to be making a run for playoffs, so that means we can't give up roster players. DT and Lieweke don't want o give up prospects (THANK GOODNESS). So the only thing we can do is give up second tier or worse prospects + draft picks + pick up salary. now who in the world is going to want to trade w/ us??

Old
01-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Some of the "experts" are predicting a massive unloading on contracts before the trade deadline because of the CBA and all of the potential UFA's this year.
Supply and demand the more that's on the market, the less value it has. UFA's values drop, prospects and picks values rise.

I know we are missing our 2004 2nd so far, The 2004 draft is supposed to be very shallow in terms of talent. I personally wouldn't mind giving up our third or fourth for this year. I don't know much about the 2005 draft other than Crosby

Old
01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
punchy1

I agree. I wouldn't give up any of our top tier prospects (the ones the other teams really want) or the picks we have hung onto for the upcoming shallow draft. The problem is that with the coming CBA and the fact that we have so many top notch (read injured) players who's contracts are up at the end of this season that it wouldn't make any sense to do anything drastic at this point or that would effect what this team should be in a season or so and that is a young team full of top notch talent and a few highly skilled vets thrown in to help lead the way.

We are bloody well close to having what the Senators have and I wouldn't do anything to upset that bit. Camms/Kanko/Aulin/Hogeboom/Tambellini/Pushkaryev/Brown/Grebeshkov/Gleason are all great and gifted young players to go along with Frolov/Barney(so far) Lubo and Avery and players like these need to be kept and given the shot to make the team and have their impact. To trade any of them at this point for an established player that is over the age of 25 would be a grand folly to me.

If they lowed the CBA age to 29 as some have speculated then we would be trading away our great young prospects for a player we could have for a year or two amoung various other problems.

I would see us move Zizka/Steckle/Lehoux/Murray and a number of the others but doubt they would garner much interest.

I wouldn't make ANY moves at this point. I know that bucks the system but, if we can't make it with what we have and have coming back this season, I would wait to see what happens this summer before I did anything else. Allison could come back. Straka should come back. Miller should come back. They should give us what we need to make a run this year and if not, I don't want to see precious spots taken up for years that at the cost of them being available to our young talent.

We have several solid young prospects that either are or are very near 21 and that is the age when young forwards usually break into the league. If we have no spots for them then they are no good to us. My point is that we either are going to trade away our future and make our run *right this season* and hope that we can keep our trade team together for a couple of season to stay in the hunt or we are going to have to wait until the new CBA is set and rely on our own talent to build our team.

I wouldn't trade anyone at this point. Too late for my pound.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
guzmania

As much as I like both Camellerri and Kuznetzov I think they might get a bite or two in this market. We seem to have guys who will fill their places if they are gone. Corvo, Belanger, Lappy, Avery and Armstrong might also be a choices. People have been going off on the subject of trading our D (not Norstrom or Vishnovsky or Miller), but if we trade for D, how do we lose? Could be that people are getting ready for the CBA job action and want to shed money owed. In business there are opportunities in any kind of market. I see 2+pick for 1 going to teams that will miss the playoffs or have needs that can be met by those players mentioned. They'll want affordable return that might have upside. New York Rags, Carolina, Edmonton, Chicago, Washington, Florida, NYI, Montreal like that.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
As much as I like both Camellerri and Kuznetzov I think they might get a bite or two in this market. We seem to have guys who will fill their places if they are gone. Corvo, Belanger, Lappy, Avery and Armstrong might also be a choices. People have been going off on the subject of trading our D (not Norstrom or Vishnovsky or Miller), but if we trade for D, how do we lose? Could be that people are getting ready for the CBA job action and want to shed money owed. In business there are opportunities in any kind of market. I see 2+pick for 1 going to teams that will miss the playoffs or have needs that can be met by those players mentioned. They'll want affordable return that might have upside. New York Rags, Carolina, Edmonton, Chicago, Washington, Florida, NYI, Montreal like that.

If the Kings need a goalie prospect, how about Ari Ahonen from New Jersey. He's playing behind brodeur and will never be the devils #1 guy.

Would the kings do Jaroslav Modry and Peter Kanko for Ari Ahonen??

Old
01-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Capn Brown

Here are potential trade "packages":

1st in 2004, 2nd in 2005 & Kuznetsov

1st in 2005, 3rd in 2004 & Zizka

1st in 2006, 3rd in 2005 & Clarke

2nd in 2006, 4th in 2004 & Cammalleri

+Corvo or Lehoux or Rosa or Flinn or Brennan can be interchanged with the picks/prospects above.

If any combination of the above is enough to land us Hamrlik & Cole we'd be set. Hell, I'd even do Avery, Barney and a 4th straight up for Cole!

Old
01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
If the Kings need a goalie prospect, how about Ari Ahonen from New Jersey. He's playing behind brodeur and will never be the devils #1 guy.

Would the kings do Jaroslav Modry and Peter Kanko for Ari Ahonen??
Seems a little much for a back-up goalie. As Punchy says we could stand pat. As DT says the deal has to make sense. I think any trade would be for a usable player now, say a D-guy 3-4-5 stay at home, some pop. A side note Kanko tore it up at the Junior all-star match and although we have pretty good depth at wing he's turning into a pretty valuable commodity. He almost made the team 2 years ago with Frolov.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:13 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Seems a little much for a back-up goalie. As Punchy says we could stand pat. As DT says the deal has to make sense. I think any trade would be for a usable player now, say a D-guy 3-4-5 stay at home, some pop. A side note Kanko tore it up at the Junior all-star match and although we have pretty good depth at wing he's turning into a pretty valuable commodity. He almost made the team 2 years ago with Frolov.

Jacques Plante in his prime would'nt start over Brodeur. Ahonen will be a good #1 goalie, the kings have no future in the nets. Chechmanek isnt long for north america and Huet is not the answer.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:33 PM
tomd

Quote:
I agree. I wouldn't give up any of our top tier prospects (the ones the other teams really want) or the picks we have hung onto for the upcoming shallow draft. The problem is that with the coming CBA and the fact that we have so many top notch (read injured) players who's contracts are up at the end of this season that it wouldn't make any sense to do anything drastic at this point or that would effect what this team should be in a season or so and that is a young team full of top notch talent and a few highly skilled vets thrown in to help lead the way.

We are bloody well close to having what the Senators have and I wouldn't do anything to upset that bit. Camms/Kanko/Aulin/Hogeboom/Tambellini/Pushkaryev/Brown/Grebeshkov/Gleason are all great and gifted young players to go along with Frolov/Barney(so far) Lubo and Avery and players like these need to be kept and given the shot to make the team and have their impact. To trade any of them at this point for an established player that is over the age of 25 would be a grand folly to me.

If they lowed the CBA age to 29 as some have speculated then we would be trading away our great young prospects for a player we could have for a year or two amoung various other problems.

I would see us move Zizka/Steckle/Lehoux/Murray and a number of the others but doubt they would garner much interest.

I wouldn't make ANY moves at this point. I know that bucks the system but, if we can't make it with what we have and have coming back this season, I would wait to see what happens this summer before I did anything else. Allison could come back. Straka should come back. Miller should come back. They should give us what we need to make a run this year and if not, I don't want to see precious spots taken up for years that at the cost of them being available to our young talent.

We have several solid young prospects that either are or are very near 21 and that is the age when young forwards usually break into the league. If we have no spots for them then they are no good to us. My point is that we either are going to trade away our future and make our run *right this season* and hope that we can keep our trade team together for a couple of season to stay in the hunt or we are going to have to wait until the new CBA is set and rely on our own talent to build our team.

I wouldn't trade anyone at this point. Too late for my pound.
I totally agree...the kings have played some decent hockey for the past couple of weeks against largely sub-.500 teams. all that is good and well but IMHO this team is nowhere close to legitimately competing for the SC. any trades that are made would be to simply get into the #7 or #8 seed and be quickly eliminated in the first round. if you have higher expectations than that, you are either an eternal optimist or wearing purple colored glasses. giving up top prospects or future #1 picks is a foolish strategy when your objective is simply to MAKE the playoffs...

Old
01-28-2004, 08:44 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Jacques Plante in his prime would'nt start over Brodeur. Ahonen will be a good #1 goalie, the kings have no future in the nets. Chechmanek isnt long for north america and Huet is not the answer.
Ahonen would be a very nice pick-up. We need him, but do we need him now, or at that price. Roman was had for a second round pick. Kanko, alone, is a third rounder (I believe) with 2 more years of nice development under his belt. Modry for Ahonen would suit me fine, if we had another deal in place for that ellusive defender I covet.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Capn Brown

I'd rather get a goalie prospect from the Caps. The Devils ONLY have Ahonen, but the Caps have Oullette, Daigneault, and the other dude....starts with a "G"? Anyway, I think Maxime Daigneault is our dude.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
I'd rather get a goalie prospect from the Caps. The Devils ONLY have Ahonen, but the Caps have Oullette, Daigneault, and the other dude....starts with a "G"? Anyway, I think Maxime Daigneault is our dude.
1. Maxime Ouellet 8.5
2. Maxime Daigneault 7.5
3. Rastislav Stana 7.5
4. Rob Gherson 7

Correction, the Caps have FOUR dudes.....re

Old
01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
punchy1

I also feel that we can address our goalie needs this draft with our #1 and one of the depth or defensive (Corvo Kuz etc) to pick up one of the top goalie prospects in this draft. Of course, Montoya will be a top 6 pick but other than him, there are another 3 very well thought of young goalies that are targeted to go in the high first low second (as of today that is) who would be nice along with Zaba and Munce.

Since we are very full at the forward position both in scoring and character I would draft the best players possible as DT and AL M have tended to do but if a great young physical stay at home defencive d were at our first round pick I would gambel on him and if not I would draft the best goalie. (of course, DT and Al have made us one of the best in the game as far as prospect depth goes so whatever they do will be alright with me).

I wouldn't be suprised to see DT made a deal to move up for a goalie like Montoya seeing as this coming draft is thought to be a shallow one. Montoya would be a nice marketing piece in LA as well as a very good young goalie prospect. Montoyamania! You heard it here first. I would have trade marked it but Pat Riley beat me to it.

No deals at this point would make me trade our youth or picks unless it were for a bonifide young talented defencive defencemen or a can't miss goalie prospect and that won't happen likely.

Old
01-29-2004, 01:51 AM
T2M

Hi everybody, long time lurker, first time poster! (although I do post over at LGK I finally broke down and came over to talk to reasonable people).

My question is simple: why does everybody assume that we are weak in net for the future? Matt Zaba is number 2 on my prospect depth chart and he seems to be doing a very good job at CC, at least statistically. My number 1 is Ryan Munce who I'm incredibly high on. He's helped turn around a Sarnia Sting team that, in my mind, never stood out. He's also got around a 92% save percentage, which is stellar, and has a great attitude. Above all of that, this kid is clutch. He showed up for Canada at the U-18's, he showed up against the Russian team, shutting them out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a very solid WJC from him next year. He's quietly going about being a great goalie of the future.

I realize that Montoya's looking like a very sexy goalie pick right now and if he was still available when the Kings go up to the draft table I would select him but I think that any one of those three, Montoya, Munce, and Zaba will not be making serious contributions to an LA Kings lineup for AT LEAST 5 years. What we need to do is continue doing what we're doing now. Biding our time. Drafting goalies is a major crap shoot (unless you get a top 3 pick goalie like a Luongo [I know, he was drafted fourth overall, but still], a DiPietro, or a Lehtonen). Best just to take the BPA and wait from there. Just as many good goalies come out of the third-fourth rounds as they do out of the first.

Until next time,

I'm Thinking2Much

Old
01-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
Hi everybody, long time lurker, first time poster! (although I do post over at LGK I finally broke down and came over to talk to reasonable people).

My question is simple: why does everybody assume that we are weak in net for the future? Matt Zaba is number 2 on my prospect depth chart and he seems to be doing a very good job at CC, at least statistically. My number 1 is Ryan Munce who I'm incredibly high on. He's helped turn around a Sarnia Sting team that, in my mind, never stood out. He's also got around a 92% save percentage, which is stellar, and has a great attitude. Above all of that, this kid is clutch. He showed up for Canada at the U-18's, he showed up against the Russian team, shutting them out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a very solid WJC from him next year. He's quietly going about being a great goalie of the future.

I realize that Montoya's looking like a very sexy goalie pick right now and if he was still available when the Kings go up to the draft table I would select him but I think that any one of those three, Montoya, Munce, and Zaba will not be making serious contributions to an LA Kings lineup for AT LEAST 5 years. What we need to do is continue doing what we're doing now. Biding our time. Drafting goalies is a major crap shoot (unless you get a top 3 pick goalie like a Luongo [I know, he was drafted fourth overall, but still], a DiPietro, or a Lehtonen). Best just to take the BPA and wait from there. Just as many good goalies come out of the third-fourth rounds as they do out of the first.

Until next time,

I'm Thinking2Much
HEY! Thinking too much!!!! Good to see you over here man!

Last edited by Old Hickory: 01-29-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Old
01-29-2004, 02:13 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I'm Thinking2Much
welcome to the boards...

01-29-2004, 03:10 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

main reason we're weak in net is because we have a lot of "hopeful" #1's and no "will be" #1. Most teams out there have at least one or two goalies who have a very clear shot at being starter while I think our goalies are aiming to be backups first, let alone be starter. Although you're high on Munce, I'm not quite sure how high i am on him as in prospect scrimmage, i didn't think his stance was too solid. the goalie i felt was best was chouinard (positionally-wise) and thought he had the most potential. but even him, im just hoping he'll be a very good backup.

i think if u watch other teams' goalies, u'll see that their goalies make ours look real bad. i remember watching anaheim's young goalies and thinking "dang, i wish we had them".

Old
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
main reason we're weak in net is because we have a lot of "hopeful" #1's and no "will be" #1. Most teams out there have at least one or two goalies who have a very clear shot at being starter while I think our goalies are aiming to be backups first, let alone be starter. Although you're high on Munce, I'm not quite sure how high i am on him as in prospect scrimmage, i didn't think his stance was too solid. the goalie i felt was best was chouinard (positionally-wise) and thought he had the most potential. but even him, im just hoping he'll be a very good backup.

i think if u watch other teams' goalies, u'll see that their goalies make ours look real bad. i remember watching anaheim's young goalies and thinking "dang, i wish we had them".
I'll concede the fact that there are other teams with better young goal tending depth than us (Anaheim, Buffalo, Washington) but what I think you've missed highlighting is that outside of the top 10 there are none of those players who will be a starter of the caliber we want them to be. I've watched Kings fans watch goalies and I think that fans are way too hard on netminders. Bad goals happen, consistently (I've never heard of a good goal against). All quipping aside, hockey is a game of mistakes and we want goalies who play mistake free hockey? A goalie who plays mistake free hockey gets scored on once every 2 or 3 games when he gets blown away either by a fantastic deking move or a tip-in/screen shot. The other thing that I'm focussing on is that we're just starting to build goaltending depth after the last generation (Volchkov, Storr) sputtered out. When I look at other teams who have a "clear cut future starter", I'm not as sold as you are. Yes, there are some future starters out there in the minors, but a lot more question marks. Goaltending is one of those positions that's just impossible to predict. For some reason goalies develop, develop, develop and then one day BAM! everything comes together. I think we'll see that with either Munce or Zaba, but not for another 5 years. That said, I agree, having somebody now who could come up in a year or so would be really useful.

T2M

Old
01-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I'll concede the fact that there are other teams with better young goal tending depth than us (Anaheim, Buffalo, Washington) but what I think you've missed highlighting is that outside of the top 10 there are none of those players who will be a starter of the caliber we want them to be. I've watched Kings fans watch goalies and I think that fans are way too hard on netminders. Bad goals happen, consistently (I've never heard of a good goal against). All quipping aside, hockey is a game of mistakes and we want goalies who play mistake free hockey? A goalie who plays mistake free hockey gets scored on once every 2 or 3 games when he gets blown away either by a fantastic deking move or a tip-in/screen shot. The other thing that I'm focussing on is that we're just starting to build goaltending depth after the last generation (Volchkov, Storr) sputtered out. When I look at other teams who have a "clear cut future starter", I'm not as sold as you are. Yes, there are some future starters out there in the minors, but a lot more question marks. Goaltending is one of those positions that's just impossible to predict. For some reason goalies develop, develop, develop and then one day BAM! everything comes together. I think we'll see that with either Munce or Zaba, but not for another 5 years. That said, I agree, having somebody now who could come up in a year or so would be really useful.

T2M

Old
01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
zeppelin97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
wat the heck are we going to give up?
Frolov has nice value. Who knows, adamant Kings fans hopin for a trade could get their wish

Old
01-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M

T2M
True, but championship teams are built from the net out. Look at Jersey. Their cores players are Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermeyer, Ralfalski. And waiting in the wings they have Arohen.
We have potentially have a great young core of D-men in Grebeshkov, Gleason, Rome, Petiot, Vis is still young
Our goaltending needs an infusion of prospects. Zaba or Munce's highest possible upside is an average NHL starter.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:13 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
True, but championship teams are built from the net out. Look at Jersey. Their cores players are Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermeyer, Ralfalski. And waiting in the wings they have Arohen.
We have potentially have a great young core of D-men in Grebeshkov, Gleason, Rome, Petiot, Vis is still young
Our goaltending needs an infusion of prospects. Zaba or Munce's highest possible upside is an average NHL starter.
Agree on the defensemen, but what makes you think that Zaba or Munce aren't top flight goalies? To be honest I think they have all the talent that they need, it's their work ethic that'll put them over the top. You're right though, Championship teams are built from the net out.... although one could argue that the 98 Detroit team was built from defense forward. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think that Munce has the 2 things he needs to become great. 1) He has time on his hands to perfect technique, 2) he's got that intangible ability to rise to the occasion. It's that second attribute that makes me think he's special. The next year and a half will prove what he's really made of. If he continues having success, watch his stock rise.

T2M

Old
01-30-2004, 02:42 AM
punchy1

Also, we are mired in this "fast food" age in everything including sports. Goalies and defencemen used to NEVER be considered ready until they were at least in thier mid 20's and goalies sometimes later.

The facts support the concept that allot of very talented goalies have been rushed into the NHL way too early and had their confidence ruined as a result. I feel, as I have since he started in the NHL and especially after watching his game in WJC's that the Pens very well might have ruined either partly or totally the game of Fluery.

I argued that by having him spend the entire season in the NHL on a rubbish team will ruin his confidence and make him develope catastrophic habbits that well could destroy his at the time stellar play simply by trying to survive at the speed and with the talent of the NHL game. I wrote it as my first couple of posts here when he were still jesus and I feel my position is being proven correct with each passing game.

I took allot of troubles for that opinion and now I unfortunately am further in front on my opinion than his supporters. Why bring this up? Because we have two very highly regarded young goalies who have the skills to be top drawer or better starters in the NHL given the time and opportunity to become one. Certainly, if we were to trade for Ahonen or the like some of us would be begging to see the 21 year old in the NHL straight away. Rushing them and possibly ruining them at the same time. I would be looking for *one* youngish goalie (the caps have two of them) that are highly thought of and say, around 23 or 24 years old and doing very well in the AHL. I would try and pry one of them who are a little older and a little further along off of their teams if I were to go for one. In other words, I would let our own kids develope and see what they can do in 5 or 6 years and in the meantime I would use players like RC and his ilk while they developed.

KJ, I understand your frustration mate but, your opinion is only that, the Kings management who have lead us to having one of the best and most heavily loaded prospect system in the game believe we have one and maybe two truly solid young goalie prospects and no offence to you mate but, I would go with what they feel over what any of us would on how talented or special them lads are. DT and Al wouldn't have wasted a second round pick on Munce is he weren't worth it. I feel he has special skills and might be a truly special player. If not, I feel that DT will nab us a goalie that does.

Closed Thread