HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions about how the kings develop players

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Grady41

vCash: 500
Questions about how the kings develop players

This post is sparked by Zizka recent recall but its also a nagging thought I have had for awhile on how the kings develop players at a developmental level.

Once they "graduate" so to speak from the AHL Andy Murray seems to do okay. Frolov didn't get much special team time last year. This year Andy had him on the PK he didn't get much (any) PP time till recently but who is to say that AM timetable for Frolov to start on the PP wasn't till next year. IMO once the injuries hit he should have moved his timetable up (as he has done the last few games) but this is more about how we develop players in the AHL something AM doesn't have control of for all I know.

1st Gleason was serving as our 7th defensemen that is not right. He is a rookie they need to play be it here our down in Manchester. I can understand the occasional benching to rest or get a point acrossed to light a fire. But Gleason was sent down then called up to sit on the bench for a couple games?

Makes no sense to me.

So we call up Zizka*
2 WTF!!!! I thought our policy was to call up the best player from manchester which has clearly not been Zizka. Muir is an older d-man who can sit on the bench with the best of them. I wouldn't mind seeing Seeley or even Rullier called up as it looks like they have been Manchester better D-men. This point really bugs me as it looks as it looks to me they just lie about this policy (Rosa)

A friend of mine thought that perhaps Manchester needs to keep their best players in order to have a run at things.
My opinon on that though is that the AHL is a developing leauge. Which really means that its about the talent learning so their standing be damned. If players like Kelly and Rosa and Muir are nothing more than ringers I feel this is a hindrence to the development of our prospects and thus the future of the Kings. If their not ringer then we really aren't being fair to them.
So I don't see why we have this policy if we don't use it. **** and pillage Manchester if it makes the kings a better team. In Baseball the september call ups are at the same time as the AAA championships so triple A team often gets screwed out of several good players for the greater good of their MLB clubs

Waivers really when we got a d-man like Kuznetsov how much of a chance is their that he is taken on waivers? Example: so say we call up Rosa or something and he plays good a player then comes off the IR, and we have to make room don't want to send Rosa down cause he is playing well. (and by playing well I mean putting up points) Then why wouldn't we send down Chartrand or Sim or Tripp. Chartrand and Sim play hard but that if you send them down even if they get clamied then in my mind you have already replaced them with better players(if say Rosa Is playing well). So I don't see why waiver are even an issue.
Other side: we call up Rosa or something and he plays bad a player then comes off the IR, and we have to make room send Rosa down then. if Rosa plays bad whos going to take him and if they do. For me to consider it a loss they would have to go to their other team and instantly pull an Armstrong (putting up points once everybody has written you off) But it would also lead me to ask questions what did the other team do that we didn't are they using him the same way we did. Armstrong for example was never thrust into a top six role before he would start the same way he did when we got him as an AHL "ringer" maybe called up to player on the 4th line as he was last year.

In general it would lead me to this

This kind of leads me to evaluating talent. How good are we at this the last 2 years we have shipped of too D men who played very little for us to teams in packages deals. Lilja and Strbak have played solidly for their new teams. Did we give up on these guys too fast. I understand it was a numbers game with Strbak They wanted to give him time to play and adjust to the North American style but didn't wan't to risk it at the NHL level so he wasn't going to play anyway but I think that came back to bite us a little bit and it might be partially due to poor evaluating.

* The hope that Zizka was being showcased that I believe we all shared would have been nice but to showcase him we would acutally have to play him.

ARRRGGGGGGGH I can't figure out why he is up with the Kings right now

I am sorry this is long.

Any thoughts on how we develop players? What am I missing? Right? or Wrong?

once again I am sorry this is long.

Old
01-28-2004, 10:04 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
I thought our policy was to call up the best player from manchester which has clearly not been Zizka.
before i go into ur post, i'm wondering. do u actually know who's the best player in manchester or r u assuming?

Old
01-28-2004, 05:44 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Muir is playing in the Allstar game and I think they wanted to let Muir enjoy that so they called up Zizka instead. I would also have liked to see Rullier called up, but I think the Kings aren't completely sure what they have in Zizka yet. He's probably coming up to be evaluated as much as to contribute because a decision has to be made on him whether to keep him or possibly move him at the trade deadline in a package.

Rosa has already had several chances. I would like to see him get one more, but the big knock on Rosa is that he can't skate worth a damn. And when you're a small sniper type, you'd better be able to skate unless your name is "Luc".

01-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Capn Brown

Shouldn't a dude who's been labeled as "can't skate worth a damn" (see Rosa, Steckel, Kuznetsov, Flinn, etc.) be practicing skating like, four hours a day on non-game days? Don't these fools want to get better? Is there any sort of "skating machine" we can hook these clowns up to that gradually makes them into skating geniuses? PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!! Rosa's lazy and almost 27 so I think he blew his shot. The others, though, still have hope (though Kuznetsov, barely).

Old
01-29-2004, 05:50 AM
Grady41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
before i go into ur post, i'm wondering. do u actually know who's the best player in manchester or r u assuming?
Sorry I am mostly going by stats but I would pay more attetion to them before a call up was coming.
I mention Rosa because he has been leading that team offensively the entire season Although the forwards who have been called up were playing well at the time they we're called up Even Tripp although some monarch fans I had talked to thought that he was inconsistent even there. But there have been questionable callups among the forwards (smithson?) And I kinda dig him, I like how he is so willing to take the body by running into them at full speed.

As far as Zizka is concerned 3g 12a=15 -6 you going to tell me that he is the monarchs best d man at the time he was called up he was the only d man with a - and only Parros had a worse plus/minus I believe or at least currently Parros is worse at a -7 Corvo has been scoring lately but he is still not the kings best d man

Muir would make a much better 7th dman and to be honest I'd rather see what Seeley could do both are more deserving of the call up than Zizka IMO I've seen Zizka at an NHL level not good.

If we're going to reward a player than I'd rather it be the guy who has worked the hardest and is more consistent at maintaing his level of play.

Although I do have a feeling that Zizka was called just to sit for the kings and the next time we have a lull between games he'll get sent down and (likely) Gleason will be called up again and were just rotate them every week kinda like what we did with Scott and Huet last year

Old
01-29-2004, 06:00 AM
maximil

Bottom line is that the Kings develop players on a player by player basis. I think that veteran players who work their hardest get the benefit of the doubt, but as long as we keep winning things are not going to change. I see the Zizka call up as a depth move. He gets another (probably final) chance to prove he belongs in the NHL and we have a spot to fill. Gleason will probably benefit from playing everynight in a calmer environment so he refine his game. I'd still give Muir the shot though. Big win tonight!

Old
01-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I think the main reason Zizka was called up was to boost his confidence. He has talent, and I saw glimpses during his last call up, but I think his overall poor play while he was hear really hurt his confidence. He hasn't been the same player since he has gone back to Man(from what our Man fans have said) and they need to do something to help him turn his game around. Maybe this will do the trick.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:41 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well the main reason i ask is because there was some article where AM basically said that he relies 100% on the coach's in Manchester's word, then on anything else. so as u can see, they dont go by stats and they don't go by who they want to pull up or wat not, they go by whatever the coach down there says is the best player.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Grady41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
well the main reason i ask is because there was some article where AM basically said that he relies 100% on the coach's in Manchester's word, then on anything else. so as u can see, they dont go by stats and they don't go by who they want to pull up or wat not, they go by whatever the coach down there says is the best player.
I've heard that too my main problem with that though is If we're going to reward a player than I'd rather it be the guy who has worked the hardest and is more consistent at maintaing his level of play.

So I'd rather call up a guy like Muir who has played hard and been one of their best dman the entire season than a guy who has worked hard for the last week (if that happened to be the case) but stunk it up the rest of the time.

another thing is though if we are ever going to use Zizka as a regular then he needs to play and learn be it up here or down there right now he is our 7th d man and sitting Muir makes more sense to me he an older journeyman who has played well down there he should be rewarded for it I feel. Even if all he does is sit

Old
01-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
Shouldn't a dude who's been labeled as "can't skate worth a damn" (see Rosa, Steckel, Kuznetsov, Flinn, etc.) be practicing skating like, four hours a day on non-game days? Don't these fools want to get better? Is there any sort of "skating machine" we can hook these clowns up to that gradually makes them into skating geniuses? PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!! Rosa's lazy and almost 27 so I think he blew his shot. The others, though, still have hope (though Kuznetsov, barely).
Think of skating ability like running. No matter how much you practice you can't make a marathon runner into a sprinter. Some people are just crappy skaters, Luc spent all of the offseason on his skating, especially the first several strides and he still looks like a Volkswagon Bus trying to go up a hill

Closed Thread