HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Komisarek be a product of Markov's play?

Old
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Could Komisarek be a product of Markov's play?

Of course Komisarek is great, but would he be as great without Markov? He started to play well a few years ago when paired with him, while Rivet has only being good when he played with Markov, Souray was purely a product of Markov on the PP and same with Streit this year.

Not trying to start a controversy or anything, but I have a feeling that Markov, like Nik Lidstrom, Kenny Jonsson and even Hamrlik is the kind of defenseman that will make his partner look better than he actually is.

Don't insult me if you think I wrong, it's just a feeling I have and I wanted your opinion on it.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
habfan4

Yes and no.

Yes in that Markov is so skilled that he allows whoever he plays with to relax and play a simpler game - less pressure. No in that Komisarek looks like he has adjusted to the speed of the game and his decision making has improved a great deal.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Of course Komisarek is great, but would he be as great without Markov? He started to play well a few years ago when paired with him, while Rivet has only being good when he played with Markov, Souray was purely a product of Markov on the PP and same with Streit this year.

Not trying to start a controversy or anything, but I have a feeling that Markov, like Nik Lidstrom, Kenny Jonsson and even Hamrlik is the kind of defenseman that will make his partner look better than he actually is.

Don't insult me if you think I wrong, it's just a feeling I have and I wanted your opinion on it.
It's a valid question. Komisarek is DEFINITLY a very good defenseman on his own. But as I said a few days ago, I think this blueline needs to be tested. One way to do this would be to split Markov and Komisarek for whole games and try them with different players.

This allow you to better judge the defense in case of injury but also to gauge Komisarek for a potential extension.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Both Komisarek and Markov benefit from playing with each other.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Guillemin

I think Komisarek's game could stand very nicely on its own. An ofensive defenseman needs screens and someone to receive the pass.

A shot blocking, physical d-man can function in different systems with different partners.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
#44_delivers

in response to the thread title, hell no !!!
komi's best year to date is this season, but he progressed the most two seasons ago when we whooped boston for the ump'teen time.
komi is a result of hard individual work and proper development through the system.
the beautiful thing about komi is he developed quite fast for the style of player he is.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

It may very well be the other way around, Komi being the Komisaurus gives Markov room.

Old
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Evil Ted

Its pretty Obvious

Watching both them play they complement eachothers style, Komisarek is a big tough defenceman who can skate and pass but not the greatest at it.

Markov is a forward converted to defenceman with good vision and hockey smarts, great at bringing the puck out of our end and setting up on the pp.

I think they are both having great seasons because they both play well together, its too tough to determine who is riding whos coattails.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
It may very well be the other way around, Komi being the Komisaurus gives Markov room.
markov was powning newbs since the dawn of man.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
It was true last year and the year before, but not this year Komi really improved.

Credit to Bob who put Marky and Komi together. This serve as an exemple for Ryan McDonagh, play him with one of our best D and he will improve quickly.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
HotPie

They both compliment each other extremely well. They're the best defensive paring of the east IMO.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Namso

Markov played a huge role in developing Komi. I dont think Komi would be the player he is today without Markov.

But today, I think Komi has matured so that he can play d with other players, he's more independent now.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
It's a valid question. Komisarek is DEFINITLY a very good defenseman on his own. But as I said a few days ago, I think this blueline needs to be tested. One way to do this would be to split Markov and Komisarek for whole games and try them with different players.

This allow you to better judge the defense in case of injury but also to gauge Komisarek for a potential extension.
Carbo often plays Markov with Gorges/Streit/Brisebois

Komisarek often plays with Bouillon/Hamrlik

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
Maybe a bit, but Markov is a proven defenseman, and as I said before, he has many times in the past made average defensemen look good.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Yep, Komisarek is a product of Markov in the sense that he needed him to developp into the guy we see this year. Before being paired with him, Komi was slow on most plays, often out of position because of his hits and even looked like a pylon on a few occasions.

Now though, you can put him with anyone and he'll look good.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Of course he is.

Every good offensive Dman when with a sound defensive Dman is gravy.

They are both a product of each other, they are both having career years and are both coming into their own.

With a healthy O'Bryne and Hamerlik together I believe we possess a very good top 4 heading to the playoffs, plus it allows Streit to play forward exclusively except for PP time.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
zurg999

niedermeyer/beachemin

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Could Markov be a product of Komisarek play? Yeah and it's the same answer for your question. They're simply 2 very good players with opposite style of play. One help the other to correct is error and defect. They're better together than one + one.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
habsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Both Komisarek and Markov benefit from playing with each other.
I second that

habsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Komisarek is a product of Markov. I believe it 100%

Remember when Komi was coming into the League? Everyone thought he was going to be a Bust, He wasn't developing, he was making bad decisions etc. etc..

We paired him with Markov a couple of seasons ago, since then he started getting more comfortable out there. He made mistakes but Markov was there to bail him out. He grew, learned at the high clip he's always done (started playing hockey at 12 or something).

Komisarek is what he is today because of Markov . This level of play would not have been attained (so soon) paired with Dandenault, Brisebois, Rivet or Souray (our best D only a few years ago). So to answer your question. Yes Komisarek is a Product of Markov, he would not be as great had he not been paired with him.

Now if your asking if Komisarek is only playing well because he is playing with Markov this year? I will say that no. Komisarek thanks to his "safe" years of learning with a guy like Markov has learned to make the good choices more often then not. He would be playing this well with Bouillon, and Brisebois. (Although he would look worse because they make more bonehead plays then Markov does).

Hopefully one day Markov, Hammer and Komi (eventually) do as good a job bringing in O'Byrne, Fischer, McDo and the rest of the kids (Subban Eat Fresh)

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
deandebean

I think it's both. When Markov isn't playing with Komisarek, his stats and his general play goes down the drain. same for Komisarek, but not at the same level. Komisarek needs a swift skater and a great passer besides him. Markov needs a physical presence besides him, because he's got trouble taking care of one-on-one battles.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Reuben

they compliment each other well and i'm sure have learned things from each others game. but I stil think players are primarily responsible for there play and don't agree with saying this guy made that guy who is now.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I think being paired with Markov has probably helped him develop quicker. It helps knowing you're paired with an experienced guy who can cover up your mistakes.

At this point now though, I don't know that it really makes a difference anymore. Komi has arrived.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:31 PM
alexstream

Quote:

Komisarek, playing with Markov, looks like an Elite dman. Someone even named Scott Stevens last week (far fetched).

Komisarek, playing with Hamrlik looks like a good shut down dman. A Star dman who would be top 4 on any team.

Komisarek, playing with Brisebois, looks like he's covering Briser's ass... looks iffy from time to time, but is still solid.

To sum it up:
Komisarek is among the best in this league. But to be "elite" you need an elite partner...

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Markov is better offensively than he is defensively. He relies more on Komisarek in his own end than Komisarek does on him. When that pair is scored on, Markov is at least as likely as Komisarek to have made an error.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote