HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bizarre hypothetical for ya...

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 05:41 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
Bizarre hypothetical for ya...

what kind of record would you expect over the last 30 games or so if the Oilers were to trade the following players, strictly for prospects/draft picks (I know that even if all these guys were traded it wouldn't be strictly for prospects and draft picks):

Smyth, Smith, Cross, Ferguson, Salo, Dvorak, Isbister, Laraque, and Oates.

Current lineup (I'll include York for both) is something like:

smyth oates hemsky
isbister york dvorak
torres horcoff pisani
moreau stoll laraque

----chimera

brewer staois
semenov ulanov
cross ferguson

-----smith, luoma

salo, conklin

new lineup:

torres york rita
chimera horcoff hemsky
moreau stoll pisani
wright sarno salmeleinen

brewer staois
semenov ulanov
lynch woywitka

conklin, valiquette

Old
01-28-2004, 05:49 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

You'd trade away Dvorak? I'd probably want to keep him...
But hypothetically...I still think we'll do better than the Penguins. Meanwhile, we'll prep for Ovechkin's arrival.
We'll probably get around 75 points.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Digger12

For me, I would think we'd be lucky to break 75 points with our current lineup, especially with York's injury.

With the 'prospects' lineup, I'd be surprised if it broke 70 points...which by going by last year's standings, would put us around the bottom 4 or 5 teams in the league.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:03 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
For me, I would think we'd be lucky to break 75 points with our current lineup, especially with York's injury.

With the 'prospects' lineup, I'd be surprised if it broke 70 points...which by going by last year's standings, would put us around the bottom 4 or 5 teams in the league.
oops, I can't count.
I thought that we'd win about 7 or 8 games plus a few ties. That's 65. Not 75. My bad.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
oops, I can't count.
I thought that we'd win about 7 or 8 games plus a few ties. That's 65. Not 75. My bad.
At the current rate this team is playing, here's where they are after tonight:

25 home games, 25 points earned.
26 away games, 22 points earned.

They have 16 home games and 15 away games left. If current trends hold, that's around 29 points, for a final tally of 76 points.

If they dealt off the bulk of the vets for picks/prospects, who knows what depths this team would delve to.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

Smyth, Smith, Cross, Ferguson, Salo, Dvorak, Isbister, Laraque, and Oates.
I'd definitely keep Dvo and Cross, and I'd probably keep Izzy.

Dvo - he's actually a pretty young guy and he has a ton of heart for a euro finesse/speedster. They guy could wear a letter here in the not too distant future.

Cross - I don't like the idea of Woywitka and Lynch walking into training camp knowing they have a full time job here no matter what, and I don't want this team to ever have two rookie d-men in the same game again.

Izzy - I'd like to see the trickle down effect in the lineup if Smyth was traded b4 I traded away a guy who can drive the net like Izzy does. I know he's on his 9th life or so but unless a playoff team really laid out a big offer I'd stay away from an Izzy trade right now.

I want the Oil to be a legit contender sooner than later and I would hope that the Oil used Smyth and Smith to land us a center somehow, some way, with the right prospects/picks/players thrown in.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:20 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
At the current rate this team is playing, here's where they are after tonight:

25 home games, 25 points earned.
26 away games, 22 points earned.

They have 16 home games and 15 away games left. If current trends hold, that's around 29 points, for a final tally of 76 points.

If they dealt off the bulk of the vets for picks/prospects, who knows what depths this team would delve to.
I guess the reason I posted this is that I'm not sure the team would finish significantly worse (7 or 8 points different maybe) were it to go with this lineup the rest of the year, and even I realize that this would obviously be cutting too deep.

Not that all those players couldn't be moved if you were so inclined, but they couldn't all be moved tomorrow and it also wouldn't make much sense to deal them all for picks/prospects, none of whom are ready to play now.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Digger12

Quote:
I guess the reason I posted this is that I'm not sure the team would finish significantly worse (7 or 8 points different maybe) were it to go with this lineup the rest of the year, and even I realize that this would obviously be cutting too deep.
At our current rate, we'd end up around the 8th to 10th overall pick. 7-8 points lower, we'd likely be around the 4th to 5th overall pick.

It's a tough decision for Lowe. I would think it should be dawning on even him now that this team is not going to be all that he thought it could be. There's barely 30 games left, this 4 game homestand will decide many things I would think.

Old
01-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Slats432

Quote:

new lineup:

torres york rita
chimera horcoff hemsky
moreau stoll pisani
wright sarno salmeleinen

brewer staois
semenov ulanov
lynch woywitka

conklin, valiquette
6-20-4 and you would be able to announce Malkin, Olesz or Barker at the table...and have a lottery pick at Crosby as well. Pardon me while I go cheer for another team if the Oilers ice that lineup.(Watching that line up would be too painful.)

Old
01-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Hyped

Pete Sarno on an NHL squad is pretty low. Even the Penguins of this year wouldn't be able to match that...

Old
01-28-2004, 05:34 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
new lineup:

torres york rita
chimera horcoff hemsky
moreau stoll pisani
wright sarno salmeleinen

brewer staois
semenov ulanov
lynch woywitka

conklin, valiquette
Shades of Oilers circa 92-95 ............... the Edmonton's "Dark ages"

Old
01-28-2004, 06:35 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I still think we'll do better than the Penguins. Meanwhile, we'll prep for Ovechkin's arrival. We'll probably get around 75 points.
Oilers aren't eligible to win the lottery, right? I think 75 points would be high. They're on track for that with the vets in the lineup.

However that D looks positively solid in comparison to the forewards. With a solid trap in place, they could be there perhaps. But otherwise this is very Penguins-like IMO.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Oilers aren't eligible to win the lottery, right?
Why wouldn't they? Are you talking about that 'being in the playoffs the year before' thing?

Carolina was eligible for the lottery last year, the year before they'd gone to the cup finals...

Old
01-28-2004, 06:55 PM
momentai

Well, if every single one of those players were to be traded... I'd think that Lowe should have gotten something else a little tangible (ie/ NHL ready) I can't see Lowe dealing every one of those players for just picks and prospects that are 3 years away.

Assuming that this bizarre hypothetical occur, we'd at least have *some* young players getting into the system from the trades that are either NHL ready or near it at the very least.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
speeds

lol, I didn't even guess at the right guys, since Bishai is already up.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
6-20-4 and you would be able to announce Malkin, Olesz or Barker at the table...and have a lottery pick at Crosby as well. Pardon me while I go cheer for another team if the Oilers ice that lineup.(Watching that line up would be too painful.)
Not sure if you are meaning the team would be awful next year as well, or not.

butsomewhat related, one wonders how they will approach the 2005 draft if there is no sesaon next year. Maybe they would just use the final standings from this season, and have another lottery for 05. In that case, the team might end up landing 2 top talents instead of just the regular one. Another reason to use this year to "reload/rebuild"

I would disagree that they'd be that bad the year after, but it certainly isn't inconceivable. You still have the return from all the guys you'd have moved, some will be prospects ready for next year and in reality some would be young guys already in the NHL.

Old
01-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Not sure if you are meaning the team would be awful next year as well, or not.

butsomewhat related, one wonders how they will approach the 2005 draft if there is no sesaon next year. Maybe they would just use the final standings from this season, and have another lottery for 05. In that case, the team might end up landing 2 top talents instead of just the regular one. Another reason to use this year to "reload/rebuild"

I would disagree that they'd be that bad the year after, but it certainly isn't inconceivable. You still have the return from all the guys you'd have moved, some will be prospects ready for next year and in reality some would be young guys already in the NHL.
I have been saying for a while that the oil should trade some vets to make a run at the pick. I really think you only need to move 3 players to put us in the top 5 picks. If you move Smyth, Smith and Salo this team is done. My suggestions for deals that keep the future in mind and the higher pick as a priority are.

Smyth and Laraque to ott for emery and volchenkov

Smith to Fla for krajicek

Salo to Col for a 5th round pick.

Our line up for the rest of the season would be

Isbister Horcoff Hemsky
Torres oates Rita
Moreau Stoll Dvorak
Chimera Bishai Pisani

Brewer staois
Semenov ulanov
Cross Krajicek

Emery
Conklin

next year ulanov will likely be gone so insert volchenkov. We are still weak at center but maybe we can trade for one in the summer. The last thing we want to do is bring balance to the team this seasson and risk hurting our pick.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1

Unfortuanately, trade #1 is a pipedream. Ottawa won't be looking to add that much salary heading into the new CBA. Emery is also VERY highly regarded in that organization. I think Volchenkov and Prusek might be closer.

Florida might just cough up Krajicek due to the number of young defensemen currently on their roster, but I don't know if Smith would be enough. I guess I'm not familiar enough with FLA and their blueline, but they seem to value Krajicek only slightly less than Bouwmeester.

The third trade is a possibility only if we are completely out of the playoff race, and we have acquired another goalie first. I think Conks will be a career backup and have no confidence in him shouldering the load.

I, for one, hope the Oil go for the total rebuild this year...... I think fans have gotten completely fed up with limping into the playoffs, only to get knocked out in the first round. I think they would be more accepting of a total rebuild than they would have been say ten years ago, when we still had memories of the glory days bouncing around in our heads.

I'm sick of the continual, partial rebuild that this team has been in since '88. It's time to suck it up, and start from scratch.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:28 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I have been saying for a while that the oil should trade some vets to make a run at the pick. I really think you only need to move 3 players to put us in the top 5 picks. If you move Smyth, Smith and Salo this team is done. My suggestions for deals that keep the future in mind and the higher pick as a priority are.

Our line up for the rest of the season would be

Isbister Horcoff Hemsky
Torres oates Rita
Moreau Stoll Dvorak
Chimera Bishai Pisani

Brewer staois
Semenov ulanov
Cross Krajicek

Emery
Conklin

next year ulanov will likely be gone so insert volchenkov. We are still weak at center but maybe we can trade for one in the summer. The last thing we want to do is bring balance to the team this seasson and risk hurting our pick.
I could see Lowe signing Ulanov beyond this year, and Igor might go for a longer-term deal having had. such success here this year and in the past. In many ways, I think the addition of Ulanov (and his strong play) makes Smith more expendable, so if Gator doesn't want to sign a longer-term deal for 'less' (a la Staios/Moreau), Lowe will try to sign Ulanov to something like that, and if he's successful, then Smith can be dealt.

And if Salo's dealt, I'm OK finishing the year with Conklin/Valiquette, but we'd have to pick up a starter/platooner over the summer, as I wouldn't want Ty to be our #1 guy next year.

Bart

Closed Thread