HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KLo's phone must be ringing off the hook right now.

View Poll Results: What player are the most gm's asking KLo about?
Smith 48 46.60%
Smyth 38 36.89%
Salo 1 0.97%
Moreau 1 0.97%
Oates 3 2.91%
Laraque 7 6.80%
Cross 0 0%
Ulanov 1 0.97%
Staios 0 0%
Other 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

vCash: 500
KLo's phone must be ringing off the hook right now.

I'm not saying who should or shouldn't be traded right now, but the gm's who are adding the final touches to their rosters must be eyeing up lots of Oilers.

If you were Clarke or some other playoff bound gm what Oiler would you a)covet the most, and b) do you think is the most available?

I'd say the guy that most gm's are trying to get right now is our captain, not likely as a #1 d-man but still as a guy to eat up a lot of icetime. If there's a guy we can get an overpayment for right now and who's likely available it's him.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I'm not saying who should or shouldn't be traded right now, but the gm's who are adding the final touches to their rosters must be eyeing up lots of Oilers.

If you were Clarke or some other playoff bound gm what Oiler would you a)covet the most, and b) do you think is the most available?

I'd say the guy that most gm's are trying to get right now is our captain, not likely as a #1 d-man but still as a guy to eat up a lot of icetime. If there's a guy we can get an overpayment for right now and who's likely available it's him.
I would agree...right now Lowe's team is looking more and more like a seller than a buyer, and each loss only compounds that fact.

I think this 4 game homestand will be critical in his decision making from here on out...if there are any Oilers who want to remain an Oiler, they'd better show it very soon.

With us 8 points out of 8th place and 3 teams to leapfrog just to get to 8th, it's time to fish or cut bait.

Of course, I picked Smith. Top 4 defensive dmen are always a prized commodity come the deadline, and he's one of the best around when he's healthy. His upcoming arbitration battle probably isn't something Lowe wants to relive either.

Last edited by Digger12: 01-28-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Old
01-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Jamie

Quote:

Smith and Smyth would be the top two of interest to a contender I'd bet. Smith ecspecially because of his position and how he plays it. There's not many players like Smith around, ecspecially ones available.

Smyth on the other hand was captain of Canada and plays a gritty tough game. He's the type of players teams want in the playoffs. However, I think Lowe may ask for to much for Smyth, but that would just be a guess.

Old
01-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Mr Sakich

smith , only because of his contract status. He is ufa after next year and there likely won't be a next year in the nhl. He is probably THE prize to be traded this deadline I would say gonchar and bondra but most of the true cup contenders are loaded at forward and each allready has a pp qb.

It is Lowe's job to turn Jason into a 1st line centre, starting goalie, or pp quarterback for 2005-6.

Old
01-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Obsessed

Does Smith have that kind of value? He has good value but not enough to get any of those things by himself. Smith and Laraque to an eastern contender might get you a very nice pick or prospect.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:27 PM
copperandblue

I would expect that alot of guys are asking about Smith also but I am of a different opinion for what Lowe should do.

I say he doesn't trade anyone just for the sake of moving them unless he gets an unbelievable offer.

Here's my logic;

Alot of teams are going to be selling and will be doing so at low low prices.

Lowe has no salary concerns going into the next CBA because the team is well within any cap that will be settled on.

I can't imagine any trade pushing the Oil into the playoffs and I have come to accept that this year we will not be watching the playoffs in Edmonton.

So if a trade won't right the ship and if alot of other teams will be unloading their pricier talent then wouldn't Lowe be setting himself up for a bonanza if he held on to his guys?

All of his players will still be affordable under a new CBA and alot of the teams currently selling will be back in the market to bolster their lineups once they know the financial climate of the new NHL. At that time they will likely be willing to give up some of their young talent that is off the market right now to get a veteran like Smith or Smyth.

Or barring that maybe this same team (with a change at goal that would also free up a couple mil in salary and a proper addition at center) comes back and plays the way we all expected them to play last September.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Mr Sakich

he isn't going to get you a Lecalvier, but he may get you a top prospect who should be in the league in 2005-6. A good idea may be Jeff Carter from Philly.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:04 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
he isn't going to get you a Lecalvier, but he may get you a top prospect who should be in the league in 2005-6. A good idea may be Jeff Carter from Philly.
PHI has an extremely deep blueline when everyone's back, they are one team I would expect to not be after Smith.

Old
01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Izzy4Real

As an idea, I was saying this summer that we shoulda been pushing hard for a Legwand-Comrie+ deal.

Is Smyth still untouchable if David Legwand is on the line? Ryan Smyth seems to be the type of player Nashville likes (Upshall, Tootoo, Hartnell, Hamhuis = Talented and Strong, lots of heart)

Legwand would be a great complement to Hemsky and Torres IMO

Is there any way a Smyth package fetches us Legwand and Tootoo or am I dreaming?

Torres-Legwand-Hemsky (Dominant top line, Torres to stir it up and get the odd goal on determination, Speedy Big Shoot first C, and shifty Playmaking offensive juggernaut)
Isbister-York-Dvorak (Power-Passing-Finish, all fast and good enough defensively to make up for the fact that their not dominant offensively)
Rita-Stoll-McDonald/Brodziak (Speedy shifty shut down Winger in the Lehtinen mold, Gritty quintisential 3rd line C and a Gritty never say die guy on the other side)
Tootoo-Reasoner/Horcoff-Laraque (Best agitater in the league to go with the best fighter, and a nice versatile Shutdown C)

Down the road, doesn't it look nice?

Last edited by Izzy4Real: 01-28-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old
01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

The further along the season goes, the more likely teams will be trading for playoff warriors to help their cup drive. Right now, I see Smyth, Smith, Moreau, Laraque, and Oates as a valuable addition to a playoff team.

Smyth will get us a quite decent return...as will Smith. Sad to say, but I think these two are tradeable right now if the price is right.

Moreau will not be traded unless its an overpayment.

Laraque could be had for the right price. No overpayment on both parts, but BG could get us a decent return cause he's overrated by everyone else in the league.

Oates...he could probably be had for a mid round pick (unless its Bob Clarke), which is fine with me since we gave up nothing for him.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Master Lok

While Smyth certainly has playoff warrrior value, I sincerely doubt that he is tradeable. Especially since Lowe pulled the loyalty card in order to sign Ryan to a lower priced contract, it would be a tremendous loss of face for him to trade him, thereby proving the organization's loyalty to a player. Jason Smith, with impending contract negotiations for his RFA status is probably the most likeliest to be moved who has actual value. Although, I wonder if Cross might be worth something too - steady, journeyman defender, with some offensive potential, slow but big. Probably not enough to move Cross though.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

The only way I see Smyth being traded is if he goes up to Lowe and says that he wants to be traded to a contender, that the years of fighting this uphill battle have finally worn on him.

I think this is the first year where we're starting to see cracks in his 'bleed Oiler blue' armor. And that's too bad.

Old
01-29-2004, 02:28 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm going to throw out some wishful thinking. The Ottawa Senators' time is now. Great team, well coached, lots of skill. However they are still abit suspect on crunchtime leadership, grit, and toughness.

How about Smith, Smyth, and Laraque for our future first-line skilled centreman Jason Spezza. Yes, this is a crazy proposal and certainly risky from a chemistry point of view. But let's look at this. Sens deal from a position of strength with lots of skill players at centre. They gain depth scoring, character, and a lunch bucket net crasher on left wing in Smyth. In Jayson Smith, they get tough, physical, mean, and leadership on their blueline. A much valued smashmouth competitor to battle the Flyers and Devils. Finally, Big Georges lowers the boom and provides the nuclear deterrent for the Leafs and Flyer tough guys.

There is usually a small window of opportunity to win the cup. When you are this close as the Sens are, they can deal from strength to ice the best team possible to win it all. Isn't it time for the Oil to land that elusive elite skill talent? This deal gives us the go-to guy to build around. Finally, loyal warriors Smyth and Smith get their chance to win Lord Stanley's mug.

Crazy talk I know. But one can dream...

Old
01-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I'm going to throw out some wishful thinking. The Ottawa Senators' time is now. Great team, well coached, lots of skill. However they are still abit suspect on crunchtime leadership, grit, and toughness.

How about Smith, Smyth, and Laraque for our future first-line skilled centreman Jason Spezza. Yes, this is a crazy proposal and certainly risky from a chemistry point of view. But let's look at this. Sens deal from a position of strength with lots of skill players at centre. They gain depth scoring, character, and a lunch bucket net crasher on left wing in Smyth. In Jayson Smith, they get tough, physical, mean, and leadership on their blueline. A much valued smashmouth competitor to battle the Flyers and Devils. Finally, Big Georges lowers the boom and provides the nuclear deterrent for the Leafs and Flyer tough guys.

There is usually a small window of opportunity to win the cup. When you are this close as the Sens are, they can deal from strength to ice the best team possible to win it all. Isn't it time for the Oil to land that elusive elite skill talent? This deal gives us the go-to guy to build around. Finally, loyal warriors Smyth and Smith get their chance to win Lord Stanley's mug.

Crazy talk I know. But one can dream...
I made a post somewhere earlier that Smith would be a natural there since Ott's only d-men above 26 yrs old are Hnidy and Lecyshyshen, with CL not even playing a lot. Sens fans weren't worried about the d at all though, they have a lot of faith in Redden and co.

Maybe the gm thinks differently.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
I made a post somewhere earlier that Smith would be a natural there since Ott's only d-men above 26 yrs old are Hnidy and Lecyshyshen, with CL not even playing a lot. Sens fans weren't worried about the d at all though, they have a lot of faith in Redden and co.

Maybe the gm thinks differently.
I overheard someone on tonight's TSN game mention Ottawa is interested in defense depth.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
I overheard someone on tonight's TSN game mention Ottawa is interested in defense depth.
After watching Ottawa's implosion against Dallas tonight (ahead 3-1 going into the 3rd, lose 5-3??), if I'm Muckler I'm getting a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach (no, not the burritos again) that Lalime may not be the goalie to take my team to the Cup. That was one of the biggest fold jobs I've seen in quite some time, if that had been Salo this board would've been lit up like a christmas tree. All the confidence of a teenager during his first back seat adventure. It was almost surreal to watch.

Oh yeah, with the win Dallas vaults into 7th ahead of Nashville, and the Preds are only 9 points ahead of the Oilers, and with a game in hand to boot. Another nail.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
After watching Ottawa's implosion against Dallas tonight (ahead 3-1 going into the 3rd, lose 5-3??), if I'm Muckler I'm getting a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach (no, not the burritos again) that Lalime may not be the goalie to take my team to the Cup. That was one of the biggest fold jobs I've seen in quite some time, if that had been Salo this board would've been lit up like a christmas tree. All the confidence of a teenager during his first back seat adventure. It was almost surreal to watch.

Oh yeah, with the win Dallas vaults into 7th ahead of Nashville, and the Preds are only 9 points ahead of the Oilers, and with a game in hand to boot. Another nail.
I think Pierre Maguire tonight questioned if Lamile is good enough to lead this team. Tell you what I will throw Tommy Salo into the pitch for Jason Spezza...

Edit: Salo = veteran backup insurance, not proposed as starter.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:46 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
I think Pierre Maguire tonight questioned if Lamile is good enough to lead this team. Tell you what I will throw Tommy Salo into the pitch for Jason Spezza...

Edit: Salo = veteran backup insurance, not proposed as starter.
Good thing you put in the edit...

As a vet backup, sure...but then don't expect too much back in return, likely just picks or a middling prospect.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:16 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

If Detroit doesn't acquire Zhamnov or Bondra, I could see them going after Oates as insurance. Oates and Thomas back together for one last run? With about 5 Wings ready to retire they don't want to give up any prospects. Is Oates+Rita for Holmstrom+2nd round pick a possibility? Holmstrom would give the Oilers a tank in front of the net that can dish out punishment just as easily.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:26 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
If Detroit doesn't acquire Zhamnov or Bondra, I could see them going after Oates as insurance. Oates and Thomas back together for one last run? With about 5 Wings ready to retire they don't want to give up any prospects. Is Oates+Rita for Holmstrom+2nd round pick a possibility? Holmstrom would give the Oilers a tank in front of the net that can dish out punishment just as easily.
I dunno, if Detroit had any hankering for a Oates/Hull reunion they could've done it anytime this year without giving up anyone...it's not like Oates' phone was ringing off the hook with offers, and I think we're starting to realize why.

Oates is done. He's had a great career, but his gas gauge is on 'E'.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:47 AM
Allan

Hull has been playing so well with Datsyuk that the Wings wouldn't dare break that up anyway.

Old
01-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

[QUOTE=Digger12]...it's not like Oates' phone was ringing off the hook with offers, and I think we're starting to realize why.QUOTE]

but at the time Oates wasn't even practicing. why we picked him up I'll never know, but we have essentially got him into game shape and he might want to finish his career with a contender.

we could've had Cross for nothing last year but waited till he was in game shape.

obviously Detroit is a team that can afford to pick up an insurance player like Oates. but chances are they'd be more interested in Laraque now that Colorado has Bonvie and Worrell.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Master Lok

[QUOTE=Joe Oilfan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
...it's not like Oates' phone was ringing off the hook with offers, and I think we're starting to realize why.QUOTE]

but at the time Oates wasn't even practicing. why we picked him up I'll never know, but we have essentially got him into game shape and he might want to finish his career with a contender.

we could've had Cross for nothing last year but waited till he was in game shape.

obviously Detroit is a team that can afford to pick up an insurance player like Oates. but chances are they'd be more interested in Laraque now that Colorado has Bonvie and Worrell.
Ah Fans with such short memories. Before Oates was signed, this board and Oil fans were all demanding a second line centre, Yanic Perreault was mentioned, someone who could help improve our incredibly poor faceoffs percentages. So what did Lowe do? He went out and got one: Oates. Most of Edmonton was shocked and pleasantly surprised that we actually signed a free agent. Now, we're saying that Lowe was wrong? Oates HAS helped this club improve dramatically in winning faceoffs, and that is probably related to our much improved Penalty Killing. He's lacking the offensive production that we hoped he would have, but he's not the only one. Must be nice to have the power of hindsight and criticize Lowe for not being able to predict the future.

As for Cross, what makes you think he would have signed with us if he was never traded here?

Old
01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Ah Fans with such short memories. Before Oates was signed, this board and Oil fans were all demanding a second line centre, Yanic Perreault was mentioned, someone who could help improve our incredibly poor faceoffs percentages. So what did Lowe do? He went out and got one: Oates. Most of Edmonton was shocked and pleasantly surprised that we actually signed a free agent. Now, we're saying that Lowe was wrong? Oates HAS helped this club improve dramatically in winning faceoffs, and that is probably related to our much improved Penalty Killing. He's lacking the offensive production that we hoped he would have, but he's not the only one. Must be nice to have the power of hindsight and criticize Lowe for not being able to predict the future.

As for Cross, what makes you think he would have signed with us if he was never traded here?
I can't speak for others, but I've posted on here more than once that I thought (and still think) that the Oates signing was a good move at the time it was done. It just didn't work out. These things happen, but it still makes it a damaging move. I agree that improved faceoff work has helped the PK improve, I would attribute it to the improved work of PKers Stoll and Horcoff in the faceoff dot. Oates himself barely averages 6 seconds of PK duty per game, but at least he's taught these guys a valuable skill. Unfortunately this hasn't carried over to the PP like you'd think it would.

Last edited by Digger12: 01-29-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old
01-29-2004, 07:55 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I have to agree both the Dopita and Oates moves were good when they first took place. Both had the same risk attached and both have unfortunately not panned out the way we hoped but so what at least we knew by trying.

Closed Thread