HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KLo's phone must be ringing off the hook right now.

View Poll Results: What player are the most gm's asking KLo about?
Smith 48 46.60%
Smyth 38 36.89%
Salo 1 0.97%
Moreau 1 0.97%
Oates 3 2.91%
Laraque 7 6.80%
Cross 0 0%
Ulanov 1 0.97%
Staios 0 0%
Other 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Ah Fans with such short memories. Before Oates was signed, this board and Oil fans were all demanding a second line centre, Yanic Perreault was mentioned, someone who could help improve our incredibly poor faceoffs percentages. So what did Lowe do? He went out and got one: Oates. Most of Edmonton was shocked and pleasantly surprised that we actually signed a free agent. Now, we're saying that Lowe was wrong? Oates HAS helped this club improve dramatically in winning faceoffs, and that is probably related to our much improved Penalty Killing. He's lacking the offensive production that we hoped he would have, but he's not the only one. Must be nice to have the power of hindsight and criticize Lowe for not being able to predict the future.

As for Cross, what makes you think he would have signed with us if he was never traded here?
Kevin Lowe is that you?
geez, I didn't know that I was the "first" person to criticize a Lowe deal.
It's just that when you sign a guy like Oates, known for his playmaking, you kinda expect more than 6 assists. I have always been an Oates fan, back to his early days, but the truth of the matter is we don't have a "sniper" to play with him. Oates said himself that Moreau is more of a "natural" goal scorer than Ryan Smyth. Oates is amazing at faceoffs (60%) but at the end of the season Oates is probably going to retire. why not get something, anything for him. in hindsight maybe we should have acquired Perreault, since he's younger and is 64% on faceoffs.

the Cross issue: it's not a matter of whether he would have signed here. My point is we didn't take a chance on him because he wasn't in game shape. The Rangers got him in game shape and that made him a more attractive commodity. Just like Oates now.

Edit: I'm not one to agree with the Edmonton spin doctors but Terry Jones shares my opinion on this subject:

"If somebody out there believes they need help in the faceoff circle going down the stretch, and in the playoffs, and will give him a draft pick for Adam Oates, take it.
It's going to make no sense to have Oates taking up all that ice time, all that power play time, on a team going nowhere."
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040129/col_jones-sun.html

Last edited by Oil_in_my_veins: 01-29-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Closed Thread