HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chimera Signed to a 4-Year Extension

Old
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
If he's cheap, I could understand it. Still, it's a very long contract to a guy who won't be more than 3rd liner on a playoff caliber team. Two or 3 year would have been enough, we could have signed him again after that if he's needed. Chimera isn't a player to build your franchise around in my eyes. Let's hope he won't suffer concussion or any other problems, I'd hate to be stuck with another lousy player with a long term contract.
I would bet, with a newborn, Chimmer pushed for the extra year and sacrificed a little pay to get it. Good for him, I think he's a very solid 3rd line wing and I hope to see him score 20 goals for us at some point.

I don't think past this season its realistic to expect to see him on the top 2 lines...not with the guys we have back(Nash, Zherdev, Brassard) and the guys coming up(Voracek, Lindstrom, Boll, Murray) and the potential UFA signing this off season.

If this team had gotten the seasons it should have from Modin and Vyborny, we'd be singing the praises of our energy line(Fritsche, Malh, Chim) and singing a different tune about this Chimera contract right now.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
orangebarrelman

Maybe now I can buy that Chimera jersey to replace my beloved #45 one

M

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Doctor Spin

Sign and trade? If there is an identified trade partner, maybe they didn't want just a rental UFA?

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
BZArcher

I think it makes sense. He's not a scorer, but like people have been saying, he's been a solid forechecker, and he's thrown the body around pretty decently this year without complaint. If we signed him for around 1.5/per, I'll take that and hope we hear about Hejda or Novo next.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
pipe dreams

questions
Confused about what hitch is looking for I thought we wanted tough players.
1. get rid of Jody ( understandable) bad timing
2. speculation of OKT ( not the best player but I really like him )
3. Jason signed for 4 years ( I think he is kind of soft) and obviously the paper does as well

I am wondering if Hitch thinks tough and hitting is more of a position thing and not banging and grit. not quite sure I am liking this style of play.

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
As much as I dont like Chims with Z who else are you going to put on the 2nd line with him?

Boll?
Murray?
Brule?

Face it we are a team of 3rd and 4th line minus 4 players on a good night.

how about last summer when we had all the chances to pick up someone, or how about lidstrom or pineault or make a trade. with modin out most of the year its time for our youngsters to pick up the slack or howson needs to get someone in here that can be a top 6 jacket. this signing is fine for 1.5 for 4 but anything beyond that is putting this team back on par with doug's idea of a team of underachievers.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Quote:
If anything(depending on salary) this may make him more attractive on the trade market.
Four years sounds more like an investment IMO, not to make him more attractive on the trade market. I mean: why lock a guy's salary in for four years regardless of amount unless a) you see a purpose, b) see an upside, c) you are investing in potential.

If he's traded immediately then the salary/contract negotiation was done to get him traded...

If he improves and continues to fit into the organization's long term goals then it's good to get him at a price for duration. If he doesn't live up to potential, then who would want him with the four-year tag attached?

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
ugh...

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
OUJacket

Novotny signed a two-year deal in July. Hejda's contract was a one-year with a club option for a second.

OUJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Don't understand the need to lock Chimera up for 4 years when we have guys like Picard, Pineault, Lindstrom, Murray, etc to carry the torch for the bottom 6.

Confusing signing.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Don't understand the need to lock Chimera up for 4 years when we have guys like Picard, Pineault, Lindstrom, Murray, etc to carry the torch for the bottom 6.

Confusing signing.
I agree. Im not impressed. But it could be one of the "leadership" guys that Hitch needs on this team to hold it together.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

and voracek

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I like watching Chim play, so I'm happy.
Whatever the money, I don't care. Isn't mine.
He's a veteran with a skill that Hitch says he highly values: forechecking.
Probably part of the current/future leadership core too...which has to be factored in.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I am hoping that we got a good $ for him since he is having an off year. What suprises me is that there was absolutely no mention of the negotiations going on.....nothing at all!!! Who else is secretly being negotiated behind the scenes. I would say Leclaire is probably high on the list.
Yep, Leclaire negiotations are super secret, the Dispatch got some wind of it..

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...3.html?sid=101

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:04 PM
forktie

The dude was on Team Canada. Its not like he sucks.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
orangebarrelman

I think those of us who have been saying he is part of the teams leadership and now with the beloved #45 gone he may end up taking over his role as the public face of the team here in Columbus. He is funny and good for a quote when he does media and that does help the organization in the public eye.

I forget who it was that said it but I can remember back in the 70's - the Big Red Machine era - one of the baseball managers of the era (not Sparky) said that a good utility infielder sometimes is more important to a team than a star player, for what they bring to the team off the field than on it.

Maybe with beloved #45 gone the CBJ view Chimera in a similar light

M

Now watch him get traded tommorow.....to the Sharks for beloved #45

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

I like Chimmer. I would have been alright if he'd been moved, but I'm alright that he's signed long-term.

I agree with those who say he's best suited to a 3rd line role, and I hope the team's makeup next season allows for him to find a home and role there (apart from injury situations and whatnot). Sure there are lots of options, you'd think, for 3rd liners in the organ-eye-zation, but offsides aside, Chimmer's speed has to factor into the equation.

I hope those who are happy with a $1.5-mil investment for Jason aren't some of the same ones complaining about Malhotra's salary being too high for his role.

Old
02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
I agree. Im not impressed. But it could be one of the "leadership" guys that Hitch needs on this team to hold it together.
I'll throw this completely unsubstantiated theory out there to see how it goes:

Could it be possible that GMSH signed Chims because he knows he's going to lose one/some of the other similar players in the system? Maybe his idea was to get 2 (or 3 or 4, whatever) 3rd and 4th line wingers signed and locked up for a few years so that he KNOWS he's got that part of the lineup covered for the foreseeable future and now he can start looking to trade the other similar players who aren't locked up? In other words, maybe he's got offers for player X and wants to make sure he has player Y signed to cover that "loss". If he's looking to make a big splashy trade, it's those sorts of players (Lindstrom, Murray, etc) who will flesh out the "sweeteners" to the deal. Just a thought.

Unrelated to the above nonsense, I'll admit that I thought Chims looked like a 30+ guy during the first 2 games or so of the season. Seems like his biggest problem is "hockey sense". He's got speed, size and work ethic. If he could add a good feel for when the puck is coming to him, he'd be an amazing third line player. But here's the thing: can that be taught? Is is possible to take a guy and mold him into a goal scorer or at least a more natural goal scorer? I have no idea, but I suspect not.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Casework

If we can just get him back on the 3rd line where he belongs, maybe I won't be so freakin' frustrated with him.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUJacket View Post
Novotny signed a two-year deal in July. Hejda's contract was a one-year with a club option for a second.
Option years aren't allowed. Hejda has a 1-year deal, he's UFA at the end of this season.

02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
MFRONE

Puck-rakers just said the deal is worth $1.875 million per

Commence the Howson bashing right now

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
FiveHole23

Its not that bad of a signing. The guy hasnt been injury prone. He brings the same every night. Hes a good team guy. You guys are overreacting and bitter.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
pipe dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Puck-rakers just said the deal is worth $1.875 million per

Commence the Howson bashing right now
to much money

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
$1.875 for a 3rd liner with stone hands. damn it.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Its not that bad of a signing. The guy hasnt been injury prone. He brings the same every night. Hes a good team guy. You guys are overreacting and bitter.
It's a terrible deal. You don't give nearly $2 million/season to a forward who can barely score over 10 goals a year and that's not counting the fact that it's a 4 year deal. No one other then top guys in the league should even be thinking about contracts that long.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote