HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chimera Signed to a 4-Year Extension

Old
02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Some of the comments in this thread both piss me off, and make me laugh. I'll leave it at that, but I wonder to myself, if we were a powerhouse team, always winning, would we be more positive and supportive of our team's decisions? I have never seen a group of individuals so critical and negative about "their team".
More positive? Probably, but there's always room for criticism. But since we're not at a juncture where this team is a powerhouse, the point is moot.

This is a discussion board, not the Columbus Blue Jackets Cheerleading Squad.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Subdude View Post
Here's a thought . . . Let's just resign all the existing players to long term deals, and expect a different result!
Not to point out the obvious, but so far we have re-signed Chimera. Not exactly "re-sign everyone and expect a different result".

I would perfer to wait to see who else he re-signs.

So far it looks like Chimera, Foote, and Leclaire. I am fine with all 3 of those, even if I'm not completely sold. The major questions are Hainsey, Feds, Vyborny, Hejda, Peca, and Fritsche (and Manny next year).

I'll be more curious about those players. To your point, we aren't likely to (nor should we) re-sign them all.

But I figured Hitch and Howson would identify the "best of the bunch", because I don't think Hitch wants to rebuild half the team and shoot for buy-in all over again. We have to maintain some form of consistancy if we want to build on what we've done to this point.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
CBJSlash

I am perfectly fine with this move. Under 2 million is good. I'd prefer it closer to 1.5, but Chimmer is a unique talent in the league and he still has potential in him.

He'll be a solid veteran in a couple years.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not to point out the obvious, but so far we have re-signed Chimera. Not exactly "re-sign everyone and expect a different result".

I would perfer to wait to see who else he re-signs.

So far it looks like Chimera, Foote, and Leclaire. I am fine with all 3 of those, even if I'm not completely sold. The major questions are Hainsey, Feds, Vyborny, Hejda, Peca, and Fritsche (and Manny next year).

I'll be more curious about those players. To your point, we aren't likely to (nor should we) re-sign them all.

But I figured Hitch and Howson would identify the "best of the bunch", because I don't think Hitch wants to rebuild half the team and shoot for buy-in all over again. We have to maintain some form of consistancy if we want to build on what we've done to this point.
I don't see any chance of Feds being re-signed. Peca maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an off-season deal that would bring Stoll over from Edmonton, making Peca redundant. Vyborny is all but gone. Fritsche probably gets re-signed on the cheap--he brings a good energy to the team and has made goals at critical moments this season.

We probably keep Foote if he can be re-signed for a reasonable number--can't get rid of all of your veterans.

Hainsey and Hejda are the real wild cards to me. As solid as Hejda is on the defensive side, the team needs a puck-moving defenseman somewhere in the top 4. Its possible we don't re-sign Hejda, instead hoping to upgrade and get a two-way defenseman, but I'm not sure who fits that bill in the upcoming UFA class. By the same token, Hainsey has provided some offense on power play (sporadically), but hasn't provided much at even strength. He's going to be due for a pretty substantial raise. Perhaps the team decides to upgrade from outside rather than paying him more.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully the team budget is a bit higher next season in addition to any savings from the departure of UFA's.

Old
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I am perfectly fine with this move. Under 2 million is good. I'd prefer it closer to 1.5, but Chimmer is a unique talent in the league and he still has potential in him.

He'll be a solid veteran in a couple years.
I agree....1.8 million in 2-3 years is going to look good, heck maybe even this offseason. Another good move by Howson...Now get Hejda, Foote and Leclaire locked up and we can then worry about this offseason....

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't see any chance of Feds being re-signed. Peca maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an off-season deal that would bring Stoll over from Edmonton, making Peca redundant. Vyborny is all but gone. Fritsche probably gets re-signed on the cheap--he brings a good energy to the team and has made goals at critical moments this season.

We probably keep Foote if he can be re-signed for a reasonable number--can't get rid of all of your veterans.

Hainsey and Hejda are the real wild cards to me. As solid as Hejda is on the defensive side, the team needs a puck-moving defenseman somewhere in the top 4. Its possible we don't re-sign Hejda, instead hoping to upgrade and get a two-way defenseman, but I'm not sure who fits that bill in the upcoming UFA class. By the same token, Hainsey has provided some offense on power play (sporadically), but hasn't provided much at even strength. He's going to be due for a pretty substantial raise. Perhaps the team decides to upgrade from outside rather than paying him more.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully the team budget is a bit higher next season in addition to any savings from the departure of UFA's.
Redden??

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Redden??
I'd take him...

I'd take Hejda over Foote too...every day of the week...

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Redden??
There are things I don't like about Redden, but one positive I could see is that he's a tested veteran. The main thing that sticks in my head as a negative is his performance in the SCF last year. Not that he was the only Senator who got outplayed in their defensive zone. His knees are a concern, but he really hasn't had an issue with them the last year or so. As with all UFA's, it really depends on the what type of salary/terms you're talking. Its hard for me to imagine him taking less than he's getting now with Ottawa ($6.5 m/year) and that's a heck of a risk.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
MFRONE

Hejda is making about a million right now, even with a nice bump in salary to $2 million he would be a complete steal. No way will the Jackets let their best d-man go.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
jagpanzer

If this is the bar that Howson is setting for salaries then perhaps the internal budget is being moved up more than I thought it would this summer.

Chimmer has his moments (both good and bad) but this isn't an awful signing. I just wish he'd stay onsides a bit more. And take a shot from within the dots when he's flying down the wing with the puck instead of the bad angle shot right into the chest that have no chance to cause a wacky rebound....

jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
oxcamel

Wow.....a bit surprised. I am not sure about the length but I still think Chimmer has a lot of upside yet. I thought this would be a breakout year for him after the success he had last year in the worlds. I have been disappointed in his performance this year but it seems he fits into Hitch's system so I will give SH a pass on this one. Still think we will found out what kind of GM we have by September with almost half of the team UFA and RFA. This will give him and Hitch a chance to shape the team.

oxcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Matt

The guy likes the colmbus area. He want this to be his home. He has signed for reasonable money. He is good in the community and the locker room.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Anything more than $1 million plus incentives is overpayment for this player on a 4 year term
I agree with this, perhaps a bit higher, 1.2 would be ok with me.

He does skate, check and hussel, the only bad thing is he struggles with is scoring. He is a Hitch guy and at this point one of the many third liners I'm ok with keeping.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yeah I can't judge this move without numbers. I'd like to think got him for no more than 1.5 per, but what do I know.

Chimera is a fine 3rd line wing(B+), being asked to play on the 2nd scoring line along side Zherdev atm. Its easy to pick his game apart right now because he's being stretched. I don't think long term he should be on our 2nd line, but I like what he brings to the 3rd line alot.

He's a great team player, leaves it on the ice, and when he can he makes up for a lack of flashy skill with alot of effort and of course, great speed.
Without reading beyond this post, that sums up my opinion quite nicely.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreams View Post
what a shock to me. I had him on my trade list. I like him but not a very important piece IMHO. and 4 years?????
I like him, too, but I was a bit surprised by the 4 years myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
Just because he signed doesnt mean he wont get traded.

Its not like Chimera was a prized rental or anything. If anything(depending on salary) this may make him more attractive on the trade market.
The lack of a NTC helps, but I was originally thinking they would possibly use him as trade bait, especially if they were going to be buying to try to make playoffs. Either I was just completely delusional or maybe this is a sign that Howson is not planning to buy anytime soon? (Not that I blame him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRussian View Post
Because Chimmer wasn't given a NTC, I can't be fully angered by such a move
Seems like a safe move that we can exit out of if we don't get what we are looking for from Chim
That's what makes me feel a bit better about the 4 years, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The guy likes the colmbus area. He want this to be his home. He has signed for reasonable money. He is good in the community and the locker room.
I heard him on XM Home Ice one time and they were asking him about Columbus. He seemed very non-committal about it in my opinion - that's another reason for my surprise. (Although that was before the new baby, so things might've changed since then).

Additionally, I wonder what this means for guys like Malhotra or Fritsche? Are they more likely to be traded now because of this? Originally most people on these boards had at least one of those 3 up for trade. Or maybe it's just the opposite and Hitch doesn't want much to change, so they are planning on signing most of these guys back and bringing in a couple of new guys to take place of Federov's salary that they are hopefully planning on dumping.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 964
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
That's a lot of money for a 4 year deal for a guy who tops out as a third line winger. We payed Trevor Letowski annually less than half what this deal is for - for a shorter term. If this was his bottom line, I would've let him walk and replaced him with Picard.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Pluckfur

Eh. League salaries are inflating wildy ... so the money doesn't really bother me at all. 4 years? Eh. He's a strong, healthy body :knock wood: - This deal primes the pump for the negotiations for the contracts that must necessarily follow. I say no harm/no foul.

:shrug:

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Eh. League salaries are inflating wildy ... so the money doesn't really bother me at all. 4 years? Eh. He's a strong, healthy body :knock wood: - This deal primes the pump for the negotiations for the contracts that must necessarily follow. I say no harm/no foul.

:shrug:
OT: this reminds me, why do Canadians say "touch wood" instead of "knock on wood"?

For you Canadians out there, the question would be "why do southern North Americans say 'knock on wood' instead of 'touch wood'?

Last edited by leesmith: 02-06-2008 at 07:42 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Iím okay with the signing. Wouldíve rather seen it for less, but what contract wouldnít we as fans rather see for less? I donít think the payment is that outlandish and I donít think it hinders the Jackets from 1) making trades and 2) signing more important help in the offseason.

This is just one move in the grand scheme (there is a grand scheme, right? ) for the future of the Jackets. Iím not going to pass too much judgement on this until I see what moves follow.

It is a big picture, not a small one.
First bad move he's made in my opinion. I still like Howson. I think the outcry comes from fear that if he overpays other players like he has Chimera, there won't be enough for the impact players we really need.

Yes, it's only one move. But there's only one budget.

Old
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
First bad move he's made in my opinion. I still like Howson. I think the outcry comes from fear that if he overpays other players like he has Chimera, there won't be enough for the impact players we really need.

Yes, it's only one move. But there's only one budget.
I think the budget will (and probably already has) gone up, lee. Just as you must "give to get" in player trades - you have to spend money to make money. Any businessman knows this - universally, you occasionally find a *steal* but you inevitably get what you pay for.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Xoggz22

Haven't seen it mentioned but Chimmer has only missed 2 games in 4 seasons in Columbus. He's durable and not inept as many of you think. He's very good on the PK, responsible defensively and can play an almost any line. He does have the ability to put in 20+ goals as a 3rd liner and handle spot duty on the 2nd.

I suspect this rules out the resigning of Vybes and only cuts $875K into the $14M or so we'll have to sign players in the off season. You know Voracek, Brassard and Brule (barring a trade) will be back as well as Nik, Rick, Modin, Boll, Novotny and Malhotra (possible trade here too but I don't see it).

I'm guessing they use the money for 2 solid additions and make a trade for the center we desparately need (Marleau?).

Modin X Nash
Zherdev Brassard Brule
Chimmer Novotny Voracek
Boll Malhotra Lindstrom

I'd love to see the X be Marleau, Horton or Vermette (put Brassard on the first and Vermette on the 2nd?)

Realistically we need a better transition game and spend the money on D-men who can skate and move the puck.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
MFRONE

Vermette? We need a #1 C, not another marginal 2/3 guy

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:24 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Modin - Langkow/Jokinen - Nash (very good with healthy Modin)
Zherdev - Brassard - Voracek (young, but scary good)
Chimera - Novotny - Brule (solid, yet unspectacular third line)
Boll - Malhotra - Legein/Lindstrom/Sestito (loads of energy)

Of course, with Hitch, these lines will last about two shifts.

EDIT: After looking at these lines, there's too much youth. Insert at least one more veteran.

Last edited by leesmith: 02-06-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old
02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I agree....1.8 million in 2-3 years is going to look good, heck maybe even this offseason. Another good move by Howson...Now get Hejda, Foote and Leclaire locked up and we can then worry about this offseason....

My thoughts exactly.

Are we entering the era of longer-term contracts?
Seems like a nice hedge against salary inflation.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

This is about two years too long if you ask me...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote