HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Chimera Signed to a 4-Year Extension

Old
02-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Macster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
OT: this reminds me, why do Canadians say "touch wood" instead of "knock on wood"?

For you Canadians out there, the question would be "why do southern North Americans say 'knock on wood' instead of 'touch wood'?
I say knock on wood.

So does everybody here I have ever heard say it.

You must be talking to Quebecers.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:28 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I say knock on wood.

So does everybody here I have ever heard say it.

You must be talking to Quebecers.
Come to think of it, the people I hear saying it are all native Quebecers or from PEI.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
cpmCBJ

"touch wood" sounds a bit

cpmCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
"touch wood" sounds a bit
I think Lee's just been in the wrong bars.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I think Lee's just been in the wrong bars.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
CapnCornelius

Now this is what I call comedy. Portzline tries to point out some other bad checking line contracts to justify Chimera's deal. The last one...

Quote:
Chew on this: Right winger Fernando Pisani is making $2.5 million this season and the next two in Edmonton. He's older, slower and slightly less productive offensively than Chimera.

What GM would sign such a deal?
Pisani was re-signed to a similarly stupid 4 year deal in back in 2006. Which means the aging and slow forward still has 2 more years on his contract. The man charged with signing players like Pisani? Former Edmonton Assistant GM Scott Howson.

Portzline also seems to miss that the issue isn't dollars--dollars are no issue at all so long as the team's budget increases, etc. The issue is term. A four year deal essentially makes a player untradeable. Its the reason we're stuck with Westcott. So long as Chimera is healthy and/or no one else comes through the system that would be better on the roster, $1.875 is not a big issue.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:56 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Now this is what I call comedy. Portzline tries to point out some other bad checking line contracts to justify Chimera's deal. The last one...

Pisani was re-signed to a similarly stupid 4 year deal in back in 2006. Which means the aging and slow forward still has 2 more years on his contract. The man charged with signing players like Pisani? Former Edmonton Assistant GM Scott Howson.

Portzline also seems to miss that the issue isn't dollars--dollars are no issue at all so long as the team's budget increases, etc. The issue is term. A four year deal essentially makes a player untradeable. Its the reason we're stuck with Westcott. So long as Chimera is healthy and/or no one else comes through the system that would be better on the roster, $1.875 is not a big issue.
Not true we were are stuck with Westcott because of his head issues. If Westcott was still at the level he was before his head crapped out it would be a steal he would be our answer to our offensive Dman. We would have no problems dealing him or keeping him.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Casework

Great points, Capn. I think what truly makes so many nervous around here is that it feels like that extra half a million or so came out of some pre-determined budget we have for next year after we lose any of Fedorov/Foote/Vyborny/Peca. I just read this morning that the cap is rumored to be going up another 3 million next year.

I guess we don't really deserve anything from the organization, but it would at least be comforting to hear that they have the money to spend on players that will come in here and help fix this, or are willing to pursue the tough trades.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:

If Portzline is using this season's stats to compare Chimera's year to Pisani's, I hope he remembered to take into account that Chim has played 55 games this season while Pisani has only played 30 games (he missed 26 games in a row due to ulcerative colitis.)

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not to point out the obvious, but so far we have re-signed Chimera. Not exactly "re-sign everyone and expect a different result".

I would perfer to wait to see who else he re-signs.

So far it looks like Chimera, Foote, and Leclaire. I am fine with all 3 of those, even if I'm not completely sold. The major questions are Hainsey, Feds, Vyborny, Hejda, Peca, and Fritsche (and Manny next year).

I'll be more curious about those players. To your point, we aren't likely to (nor should we) re-sign them all.

But I figured Hitch and Howson would identify the "best of the bunch", because I don't think Hitch wants to rebuild half the team and shoot for buy-in all over again. We have to maintain some form of consistancy if we want to build on what we've done to this point.
Well, I will concur, and I think the thing everyone has to remember is to keep this in perspective.

Jason Chimera is a solid 3rd line wing, with good health and experience, being locked in for 4 years at 3rd line money.

The knocks on Chimera, and I'm not blind to them, are that he doesn't finish well and isn't consistently offensive. These are fair criticisms for a second line guys making 3 million a year. The fact that we have had to use him as a 2nd line guy, doesn't obscur the truth: He is a 3rd line wing, getting a 3rd dollar contract for 4 years.

Chimera isn't the problem, its the lack of talent above him in the line up, forcing us to use him on a scoring line, that is the bigger problem.

I would have liked to seen him back for 1.5 because every penny we can save will help us land that scoring talent we lack at the moment, besides that, I'm very happy with the contract.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
Not true we were are stuck with Westcott because of his head issues. If Westcott was still at the level he was before his head crapped out it would be a steal he would be our answer to our offensive Dman. We would have no problems dealing him or keeping him.
4 years is a long time. Can you guaranty me that Chimera won't suffer an injury in that time. That's exactly why long term deals are not a good idea. Think Modin has any takers with 2 years left on his deal? Doubtful.

And, while we're looking at contracts for checking line players, let us not forget a really good checking line center and maybe one of the best PK guys in the league. Currently paid $2.5 mill/year with one year on his contract. Won a Stanley Cup. And still no market for him in trade. Todd Marchant, anyone?

Old
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
ca5150

Chimera is the least of our problems and I'm going to trust Howson until he makes a bad move. All of these armchair GM's in here need to relax and let it play out. Chimera has contributed more positively than any of the following dead wood this year:

Vyborny
Modin
Klesla
Malhotra

These are the real problems, I know Chimera frustrates the hell out of me sometimes and needs to be off the 2nd line but I'm fine with the signing.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Chimera is the least of our problems and I'm going to trust Howson until he makes a bad move. All of these armchair GM's in here need to relax and let it play out. Chimera has contributed more positively than any of the following dead wood this year:

Vyborny
Modin
Klesla
Malhotra

These are the real problems, I know Chimera frustrates the hell out of me sometimes and needs to be off the 2nd line but I'm fine with the signing.

Yep, yep, and yep. 4 years is a long time, but he is relatively young, very healthy, and durable. Its 1.8 million dollars, I'm not going to nash my teeth over it. Whats more important is what 3 million dollar contracts does Scott sign over the next 6 months.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
4 years is a long time. Can you guaranty me that Chimera won't suffer an injury in that time. That's exactly why long term deals are not a good idea. Think Modin has any takers with 2 years left on his deal? Doubtful.

And, while we're looking at contracts for checking line players, let us not forget a really good checking line center and maybe one of the best PK guys in the league. Currently paid $2.5 mill/year with one year on his contract. Won a Stanley Cup. And still no market for him in trade. Todd Marchant, anyone?
You said the reason we couldnt get rid of Westcott was his contract and its not. His contract is fine for how he was playing before his head stuff.

So its his head stuff that is causing us not to get rid of him.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
WrightOn

Two year deals only at MAX , AND players must prove up front that they'll not get hurt.

Sounds realistic.

I don't agree with the blanket statement that long term deals are not a good idea..

Last edited by WrightOn: 02-07-2008 at 10:46 AM.
WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Imjustabill

Like it or not, term is a big thing now in the marketplace. The higher-caliber players are getting long terms (see Datsyuk, Briere, Phaneuf, etc. - DiPietro being the extreme example), and now the trend seems to be extending down to the grinders. If you've got a player you want to keep, some other team will provide the security of a longer term contract if you won't.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this deal. It's quite possible that he would have gotten more money on the open market. All it takes is one team to drive up the price.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Two year deals only at MAX , AND players must prove up front that they'll not get hurt.

Sounds realistic.

I don't agree with the blanket statement that long term deals are not a good idea..

We're not talking about giving Rick Nash or Nikolai Zherdev or even Pazzy a four year deal. These are "franchise" players entering their prime. We're talking about a guy that everyone agrees is a grinder. There was no GM out there that was going to give him a 4 year deal if he became a UFA in the off-season.

Furthermore, arguing that there is a "trend" toward longer term deals for 3rd/4th line talent is absurd. How many established, veteran guys of that type signed 1 year deals last off-season? The guys you have been seeing get long term deals were 1st/2nd line talent in or entering their prime.

But we're talking about a guy who is going to be 29 years old at the start of next season who has plateaued. And we couldn't sign him for less than 4 years?

As for Westcott, the length of his contract has a significant impact on the ability to have someone pick him up on waivers. If his contract was expiring or had a year left someone might have been tempted. But nobody wants a guy with head problems AND 2 years left on his contract.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
ca5150

Quote:

Sounds realistic.

We're not talking about Modin here, Chimera has been very durable and not injury prone. How is he supposed to prove he won't get hurt when he has no history of problems in that area? Term doesn't mean that much really, there are ways around that and renegotiations all the time so that doesn't concern me.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
WrightOn

I don't believe that Chimera has plateaued.

I don't think Howson does either. I'll trust him.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
We're not talking about Modin here, Chimera has been very durable and not injury prone. How is he supposed to prove he won't get hurt when he has no history of problems in that area? Term doesn't mean that much really, there are ways around that and renegotiations all the time so that doesn't concern me.
I'm saying the same thing as you. You missed the sarcasm. Obviously a player can't prove that he/she won't get hurt.

I don't agree with you on Modin, though. He wasn't labeled 'injury prone' prior to his current contract either.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You don't take the risk of term on a guy who isn't integral to the team. That's my bottom line. Plenty of guys don't have a "history" of injury. But there is always that risk--it is a contact sport you know.

As for "renegotiations", name one. This is the NHL, not the NFL. The only "renegotiations" that happen are contract extensions. To my knowledge the CBA prevents lowering salary or shortening the length of a contract, but if I'm wrong, just show me an example.

Quote:
I don't believe that Chimera has plateaued.

I don't think Howson does either. I'll trust him.
Yeah, I remember having this conversation with someone about Vyborny during the whole Recchi waiver situation. Plenty of 29 year old forwards suddenly improve and become all stars.

As for Howson, unlike other folks who want to throw around their trust and respect, I'll give him my trust and respect when he earns it. So far, the jury is still out.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
WrightOn

Quote:

Yeah, I remember having this conversation with someone about Vyborny during the whole Recchi waiver situation. Plenty of 29 year old forwards suddenly improve and become all stars.

As for Howson, unlike other folks who want to throw around their trust and respect, I'll give him my trust and respect when he earns it. So far, the jury is still out.
I'll eat my dog if you ever admit anything positive about this team, let alone respecting or trusting. At least you put it in multiple sentences form unlike say, MFRONE for example.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
First bad move he's made in my opinion. I still like Howson. I think the outcry comes from fear that if he overpays other players like he has Chimera, there won't be enough for the impact players we really need.

Yes, it's only one move. But there's only one budget.
Fair enough, but there is a good chunk coming off the books at year end and hopefully an additional cash infusion from ownership.

If Chimer's deal is a budget buster, than this team has far bigger problems than we ever imagined.

We'll see.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I'll eat my dog if you ever admit anything positive about this team, let alone respecting or trusting. At least you put it in multiple sentences form unlike say, MFRONE for example.
Classic wrighton. Good to see you back in form.
What happened? Your mom stop filtering your posts?

The Capn gets a pass because he lives in SoCal and goes to Duck games, yet he's still posting here. Such misguided devotion is not to be discouraged.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I'm generally against cruelty to animals but since you offered....

On the Glencross trade:

Quote:
Worth a risk if the only cost was Glencross--we have plenty of depth wingers. Now the Brule callup makes more sense.
On Pascal LeClaire:

Quote:
Listen, leading the league in shutouts on "the laughing stock of the league" (hmm...I thought that was the Kings) seems All Star worthy to me regardless of one bad performance.
On the team's performance:

Quote:
Enlighten us, who are these players who are underperforming? Can't be Nash and Zherdev, who have had career years thus far, can it? And most of the other forwards on the team are 3rd-4th line talent. Our defense, which to be honest, has done a pretty good job of keeping the opponents off the scoreboard even if none of them are particularly offensively gifted (then again, they weren't prior to this year, so what did you expect?) LeClaire? Well, guess he hasn't been putting up as many shutouts these days.
On how many games we'd win in an 8 game divisional stretch in November:

Quote:
5-2-1

1 loss and 1 OTL against Detroit
1 win and 1 loss against St. Louis
2 wins against Chicago
2 wins against Nashville
Etc., Etc.

I'm positive when there's a good reason for it. I'm not a cheerleader needlessly praising the organization for every move regardless of merit. I'll leave that to folks like you.

Look forward to the pictures of your meal.