HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Head sweat

Old
03-02-2008, 05:59 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Head sweat

When I work up a good sweat playing hockey it starts dripping off my forehead and eventually stings my eyes. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do to prevent it?

I'm still in my training sessions so it isn't too much of a problem, but I'll be starting the games soon. At the moment about all I can do is remove my gloves, helmet, glasses, and wipe my head down with a towel or my sleeve, but that's a hassle on a short/sliding bench, and is only temporary.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Wooty

vCash: 500
In the NHL (and all other sports) they use a towel.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

The problem is pretty severe for me too. On my team, I'm frequently out for shifts of up to 90 seconds.. been out as long as three minutes before though, and I sweat a lot naturally. Unfortunately I can't take a towel with me out on the ice. I've been thinking about a headband or something similar like they use in basketball.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
it depends, are you wearing a full face cage?

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
In the NHL (and all other sports) they use a towel.
Exactly. Although the Habs are pushing that idea to the limit this year, not sure it'll catch on (Mr. Markov, this means you):

Seriously though, I have this problem too. I've tried headbands and this little moisture absorbing hat by Mission and neither work perfectly. The Mission hat thing works best. Headbands only absorb so much moisture before becoming useless. Although most of my experience comes from playing roller hockey for 2 hours almost straight and rarely with a line change.

If you find something that works great, please post a link up here

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Twist and Shout

Stray of water to the top of the forehead and then wipe it off with a face cloth.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wooty

You could figure out how to tuck a small towel or rag in your gear and deal with it quickly on the bench.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Too continue my post cuase Im not gonna bother editing, use a headband if your wearing fullface cage, if youve only got a visor or nothing, just use a towel, it takes 5 seconds.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
droller*

i would also consider getting contacts if you plan on playing hockey on a regular basis. last thing you wanna do is break your glasses... don't they fog up a bit too? more comfortable while wearing a helmet too!

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
Too continue my post cuase Im not gonna bother editing, use a headband if your wearing fullface cage, if youve only got a visor or nothing, just use a towel, it takes 5 seconds.
Wouldn't a headband make the helmet just a bit too tight though?

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Don't work as hard.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I used to play with a retard of a friend who used to gel his hair before he played ... he paid for it later. Not sure why you have to have perfect hair before a game. My advice, stop using hair gel ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
When I work up a good sweat playing hockey it starts dripping off my forehead and eventually stings my eyes. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do to prevent it?

I'm still in my training sessions so it isn't too much of a problem, but I'll be starting the games soon. At the moment about all I can do is remove my gloves, helmet, glasses, and wipe my head down with a towel or my sleeve, but that's a hassle on a short/sliding bench, and is only temporary.
yes just had this problem about 2 hours ago. My coached laughed at me but what you got to do is squirt water at the top of your head and let it drip down your face. It washes away the sweat

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:16 PM
the_speedster

omg this has to be one of the greatest thread titles ever

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:16 PM
the_speedster

or the name of a new prince album

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:46 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I use an under armor skully. The thing seeps up all the sweat and I don't get any on my half shield. They run about 20 bucks but they're def worth it

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:11 PM
DevsFan84

I don't know if they make it for players helmets, but for goalies there is this stuff called maltese gel that I got for my lid- its basically gel inserts that replace the foam in your helmet. 2 good things- 1. You can stick it in the freezer before you play and it helps keep you cool for a while- and 2. I don't need a sweatband anymore because the gel actually directs the sweat away from my eyes and down the side of my face. Really good stuff.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
HerrAlex

use water

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:51 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I use an under armor skully. The thing seeps up all the sweat and I don't get any on my half shield. They run about 20 bucks but they're def worth it
I was actually just looking at one of those, will probably pick one up tomorrow to try out. Seems like more of a football thing but should work for hockey.

Oh, and for the people who've mention a towel, yes I'm only wearing a half-visor, but I wear my glasses underneath. I've got an old but good pair of Silhouette glasses, frameless and flexible, which fit comfortably under my Reebok 6K helmet. It's a good set up and I'm not confident I could get contacts in. I've tried a towel at a shinny game before but it's too inconvenient/I'm too awkward and slow taking everything off so I can wipe my head off. Especially when a couple shifts later I have to do it again.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
igotnothing

Use lip balm that doesn't come in a stick and has no SPF rating. Smear it on your eyebrows. Since the lip balm is waterproof, the sweat will drip down the sides or in the middle.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM
RobertKron

Break out the Kelly Hrudey bandana.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
MikeD

The forehead piece for the maltese gel SPS gan be purchased seperately and placed into any helmet directly on top of any existing foam(hotglue felcro in place). Placing that at the front of the helmet uses about 1/8" of space, increases your protection and eliminates sweat running down the face. It is redirected to the sides of the face where its not a problem.

maltesehockey.com

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 11:59 PM
K-PAX*

I just use my visor towel.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
fullmetal2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
i would also consider getting contacts if you plan on playing hockey on a regular basis. last thing you wanna do is break your glasses... don't they fog up a bit too? more comfortable while wearing a helmet too!
In my experience, sweat in the eyes + contacts = HOLY CRAP OW. But I'd never play without them

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I don't know if they make it for players helmets, but for goalies there is this stuff called maltese gel that I got for my lid- its basically gel inserts that replace the foam in your helmet. 2 good things- 1. You can stick it in the freezer before you play and it helps keep you cool for a while- and 2. I don't need a sweatband anymore because the gel actually directs the sweat away from my eyes and down the side of my face. Really good stuff.
As a goalie I'd like some more info on that...

And advice to the OP, really all I can say is if you're using a full face cage, just swing the cage forward on the bench and wipe your face down. Something you have to learn to deal with, I guess *shrug*

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 03:49 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I used to play with a retard of a friend who used to gel his hair before he played ... he paid for it later. Not sure why you have to have perfect hair before a game. My advice, stop using hair gel ...
Yup. Only time my eyes sting when playing hockey is when I have gel in my hair or I catch a glimpse of my stunning reflection on the glass. You could also look into forehead wipers.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote