HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Need a goon?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
  #1
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Need a goon?

Maybe again, he's one that might be available:


Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
  #2
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,505
vCash: 50
Roids!

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
  #3
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
HGH

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
  #4
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Broken face...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
  #5
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Maybe again, he's one that might be available:


He signed a 2 year extension with LA!! Plus he can't fight....so why bother. May as well have "Beef" Boullion out there scrappin!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
  #6
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Then, who could be available?

Lot of people are complaining about the lack of a real goon in the Habs' locker room. Sure, there's team toughness, but if a goon was there, everybody wouldn't be shy to play their game (cf. Habs vs. Rangers, Feb. 3th).

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
  #7
DougHarvey
Registered User
 
DougHarvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
I think the Habs should go after Daniel Carcillo (PHX). He just got sent down but has over 200 pms and 5 goals. Small at 5-11 212 but really tough.We could probably get him for Locke or Milroy.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
  #8
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
He signed a 2 year extension with LA!! Plus he can't fight....so why bother. May as well have "Beef" Boullion out there scrappin!
how do you figure he can't fight. because he lost a fight to Chara 2 years ago. geez watch some others games sometime he is a good fighter.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
  #9
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
I think the Habs should go after Daniel Carcillo (PHX). He just got sent down but has over 200 pms and 5 goals. Small at 5-11 212 but really tough.We could probably get him for Locke or Milroy.
He would be an excellent choice. But I don't think Phoenix is in any hurry to get rid of him. If I read correctly this morning, he was sent down to work on a few things, not as a punishment.

__________________
To me, Desharnais is like pop/radio music. No matter how hard I try, I just can't like him. - PyrettaBlaze
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
  #10
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Maybe again, he's one that might be available:
Éric Desjardins who sometimes write for lapresse (yeah right... someone writes it up for him ) said this week that Habs could use a goon, but one "raised within the organization" .
If we were to trade for one, he would fight... but wouldn't really stand up for the teammates all that much because he doesn't know the teammates and is only with the team temporarily... Whereas, if he's homegrown, he will love the team, love the teammates as brothers and stand up for them, no matter what.
He was comparing Mario Roberge who had a strong CH alienation and was an integral part of the team vs Todd Ewen who was acquired through a trade and didn't do much for the Habs...

Pretty interesting.

That said, I don't totally agree, I think we could use a Chris Neil. If only to take care of Chris Neil

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
  #11
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,757
vCash: 50
we dont need a "goon" but we could use a guy like Neil...
someone who can chuck knuckles when needs but can also put a puck in if needed

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:09 PM
  #12
131313
Registered User
 
131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Then, who could be available?

Lot of people are complaining about the lack of a real goon in the Habs' locker room. Sure, there's team toughness, but if a goon was there, everybody wouldn't be shy to play their game (cf. Habs vs. Rangers, Feb. 3th).
If we want a true goon we should go after the best (or one of the best) in Derek Boogaard.I wouldn't be against the idea of trading a low pick for him even though i know that this idea ain't very popular around here.

The reason i want a true goon is because i'm a bit tired of seeing the Bouillons of this world having to take on the Colton Orrs because we pretty much have no other one who is willing too.Well , there are Kostopoulos and Komisarek but in the first case the guy is just a punching bag for the heavyweights and even has an hard time against other middleweights.As for Komi well he should drop the gloves as less as possible because he can't risk an injury and losing him for 5 minutes sucks as well.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
  #13
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
I think the Habs should go after Daniel Carcillo (PHX). He just got sent down but has over 200 pms and 5 goals. Small at 5-11 212 but really tough.We could probably get him for Locke or Milroy.
Carcillo is mostly an agitator, but IMO will be a very good one. Think Barnaby and Avery. But Phoenix won't let him go for cheap... And anyway, with Begin and Lapierre already, we can't rely and Kosto and Bouillon to defend themselves each time they stir trouble, so we would really need a goon...

Of course Boogaard would be my ultimate choice, but I'd also like Darcy Hordichuk (this guy is crazy), Eric Boulton (could be had cheap), Scott Parker (he's a mean SOB) or, why not, bring back Matt Johnson ?

Our team is playing very well, we can play tough, but a respected goon (not a Downey wannabe) could add extra spice to the lot.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
  #14
boomboom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Habs would be better with a goon in the lineup. Every team in the league has one but us. I know goons dont play in the playoffs, but they are needed during the reg. season. I mean even Detroit has Downie.

boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
  #15
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
That said, I don't totally agree, I think we could use a Chris Neil. If only to take care of Chris Neil
Ray Emery will take on Neil.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
  #16
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
I know the idea of a goon is not very popular in Gainey's and Carbo's mind, but the team would definitely be better with one in the lineup.

Sure, there's Kostopoulos and Komisarek... but if a real goon was here, they would be more nasty, since they would know that one of their teammates would take care of the business...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
  #17
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Éric Desjardins...

If we were to trade for one, he would fight... but wouldn't really stand up for the teammates all that much because he doesn't know the teammates and is only with the team temporarily... Whereas, if he's homegrown, he will love the team, love the teammates as brothers and stand up for them, no matter what.
He was comparing Mario Roberge who had a strong CH alienation and was an integral part of the team vs Todd Ewen who was acquired through a trade and didn't do much for the Habs...
Interesting take from Desjardins... perhaps Stewart is this person, in the new enforcers ilk. Or further on down the road, depending on his development, maybe Conboy.

But in the short term, meaning the play-off push, it'd be nice to have a part-time mercenary. Frank held his own very well vs. Orr (who hits like the Metro) but we should be careful not to test out his face to often, as however useful 51's perceived, he's still a regular. More importantly in relation to #8 (who seems to attract quite a lot of attention from the leagues fight-inclined players).

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
  #18
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
I think the Habs should go after Daniel Carcillo (PHX). He just got sent down but has over 200 pms and 5 goals. Small at 5-11 212 but really tough.We could probably get him for Locke or Milroy.
he's fine but I prefer a George Laraque to a Sean Avery.
I want a goon with size, not a half-goon who can fight. We need size for some heavy bodychecks.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  #19
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Have any goons in the league really hurt us in a game? Not really.. We need a guy who is TOUGH and can PLAY HOCKEY. Not a goon.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
  #20
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
I want a guy that can't play hockey to save his life. I'm not impressed at all by guys like Chris Neil. The only guy worth something he beat this year is Paul Gaustad and he's just a big guy, not an enforcer. Chris Neil is a middleweight that is being overrated by the RDS idiots, this team needs a heavyweight.

Now if Latendresse could stop being a ***** and fight some guys that he can realistically beat and if we could get a guy like Donald Brashear, this team would not be so intimidated every night.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
  #21
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Lats is a big moumoune. He is scared.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
  #22
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Lats is a big moumoune. He is scared.
I was surprised when he didn't fight Lupul when he was challenged, I think he could have beat him easily. He needs more self-confidence.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
  #23
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Have any goons in the league really hurt us in a game? Not really.. We need a guy who is TOUGH and can PLAY HOCKEY. Not a goon.
I think the fact that we have to turn the other cheek because we have no one who can respond to them does hurt us. they basically have free reign against us and eventually someone will get hurt either fighting with them or via a cheapshot or hit. I dont recall ever seeing so many cheapshots committed against our players as this year.
if another team sends there enforcer out to go run around against us he can because we have no awnser. if we had an enforcer he'd either go out and fight that guy taking him of the ice for 5 minutes plus or he run around after there good players in return and that stuff would likely not continue next time. it's more about sending a message than anything and helps guys like Komi from being targets for the other teams goon because there is no one else.

off course a guy who can drop them with the best of them and play would be ideal but who are these guys and how are we going to get them.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
  #24
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Éric Desjardins who sometimes write for lapresse (yeah right... someone writes it up for him ) said this week that Habs could use a goon, but one "raised within the organization" .
If we were to trade for one, he would fight... but wouldn't really stand up for the teammates all that much because he doesn't know the teammates and is only with the team temporarily... Whereas, if he's homegrown, he will love the team, love the teammates as brothers and stand up for them, no matter what.
He was comparing Mario Roberge who had a strong CH alienation and was an integral part of the team vs Todd Ewen who was acquired through a trade and didn't do much for the Habs...

Pretty interesting.

That said, I don't totally agree, I think we could use a Chris Neil. If only to take care of Chris Neil
A guy like Stortini - even if he is playing with Edmonton - would be a good one I think. He played and won a Championship in Hamilton last year with all our yougsters. He is "almost" a Hab !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
  #25
kdawg3522
 
kdawg3522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Laracque is who we need. He is actually useful for the 95% of the game which isn't fighting/shoving orientated.

I find it hard to justify putting a goon on the ice, especially with so much young prospects to develop. Who's spot would Boogaard steal? Kostopoulos and Begin may not be fighters (they should be) but they're definitely more useful than Boogaard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom View Post
Habs would be better with a goon in the lineup. Every team in the league has one but us. I know goons dont play in the playoffs, but they are needed during the reg. season. I mean even Detroit has Downie.
Detroit took the least skilled player in the NHL and threw him on the roster, for modesty's sake.

kdawg3522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.